Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

LGD posted:

that'd be my conclusion as well, save for retirement and focus on personal life, both are highly worthy goals on their own and can potentially lead you to home ownership/secure housing down the road (and give you greater flexibility)

e:

that really sucks

tbh I think this is an issue with a bunch of relatively "higher status" but low-ish pay white collar jobs at the moment, which have been used to taking advantage of stagnant wages and sense that they're something to be aspired to, and because they're "professional"/often were able to be at least partially remote/didn't suffer as much COVID-turnover have been slower to adapt than public-facing hourly service positions

I might just be generalizing too much from my wife's experience trying to hire people for back office positions at a credit union, which has incredibly good benefits but is objectively underpaid (something she's not in a position to address atm, despite her efforts) - it's hard to sell people on the idea that a job is a "career" or keep talented people if [absent benefits] working at a literal car wash pays about the same

I see a lot of jobs that pay similar to mine but they all seem like actual work (or they're public-facing). at least at my job I can sit inside and gently caress off all day then go home without a broken back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fart simpson posted:

lol how is the average 35k that’s insane

turns out paying for labor at a fair value is actually costly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

prices would have to crater so crazily for me to be underwater on my loan but I have faith in the fragility of our economic system.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it'd probably be a bad idea to prep your house for sale with a giant shark fathead and a Bible quote. just my first blush impression.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my neighbors built an ADU in their back yard and it looks really cool.

it took them over two years to do it though, and not for lack of trying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

An island layout like this is so loving pointless. You're literally putting a massive obstacle between the fridge and the rest of the important appliances, leaving yourself no room to walk around, and you're gaining absolutely nothing. There's already a ton of usable counter space without the island.

Like, why would you actually want to sit down at that island? What's the point of those stools? It arguably makes sense in a very large kitchen or an open floorplan where the island might be a reasonable place to sit down for breakfast, but why would you ever want to jam yourself into that tiny area next to the fridge when there's almost certainly somewhere better to sit down and drink a cup of coffee in the morning.

the stools are so that you can slam your kneecaps right into the cabinet underneath when you try to scooch close enough to get to your plate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

guarantee that first pending sale resulted in a disclosure they could no longer ignore.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ammanas posted:

toured a home last night that was a total starter home in a lovely decaying neighborhood listed for $430k, meaning you need to earn around 10k/month to afford the monthly but traditional guidance. god bless you Sacramento real estate

I don't think you did the math right unless it's a 10 year mortgage or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife got a Tony Packo's shirt there and wore it for six years until it fell apart

Jesus Christ dude buy her a second shirt

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

today I was browsing the intranet dank memes page and found a comment from a woman who said she only goes to work in person because in order to power her laptop and two monitors she has to wire up three extension cords from different rooms or she trips a breaker.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

even mush mouth was a man with a corporeal form. the state of mush is not necessarily one without volumetric boundaries, nay, it is of the soul of the mush with which one must contend

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what is going on with this lady's shirt

Dan Flashes has branched out

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm in this same situation and it's honestly a little upsetting to me. I realize my extreme privilege to have been able to buy a house 6 years ago for half the price of now, then refinance it 3 years ago at insanely low interest rates, but also a lot of that is just that I'm getting older.

The youth are hosed.

very much the same situation here.

constantly feels like I'm on the bottom rung of a rope ladder attached to a helicopter that is definitely not flying in a manner I have 100% faith in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'd say air bnbs CAN have a better location than a hotel and could save you the hassle of renting a car.

hotels are usually in the loving worst locations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my secret is just waiting out the hot weather. by the time I'm 69 it's gonna be tropical where I'm at.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my area is slowly filling up with vacation rentals. you can always tell because (in addition to rarely seeing anyone come or go), the yard is generally clean but then there will be a rotting jack o lantern sitting by the side of the house for 8 months.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we got a new manager in my group and during his introduction he said he recently bought ten rental units and he's eager to "fill them with tenants".

like he's not a flipper or someone with a nascent real estate interest. he just wants the passive income.

fuckin gross all around.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

if he spent hundreds of thousands and took in $234k... is he operating at a loss still?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the cutesy bathroom word "art" is getting out of hand

I read this as an Airbnb that doesn't want to clean up piss dribbles on the floor.

I can't say I blame them but part of my use of the space is pissing near the toilet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

some family moved on to my street about six years ago and then they recently listed their house for sale and sent all of us an email with their farewells as they "sell [their] starter house".

internally, I reacted like Dennis Reynolds when he was told his car was a starter car.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it was more annoying and tone deaf than anything else. gently caress them, glad they're gone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

why do your neighbors have your and your others neighbors' email that's awful

we use a google group to send out emails such as:

"is this someone's bike in my yard?"

"heads up: this dude took all my mail."

"oh yeah he took my son's bike too."

etc etc

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lmao "house of the month"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

no I got my plaque for house of the decade years ago you nerd.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

a lot of the house flipping shows in the states are based in Texas and Missouri for some reason.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

Why does this work anyways? Like if I were going to hypothetically sell to an obvious flipper couldn't I just do the cheap reno myself and pocket the higher sale price? Someone coming to you to buy your house like this is basically out in the open saying that they want to turn around and sell it for more than they will offer you. It'd be like having your own business and then hiring a boss to skim profits from you.

We get these texts all the time cause our neighborhood is hot but even if we were ever thinking of selling instead of just living here till we die on our cheap af mortgage I know we'd get way more from putting it on the market than just accepting a random person coming by hoping for an easy profit.

I think it's to catch people who are desperate and/or in a tight spot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

City-loving millennials here have been moving to the suburbs eventually for as long as I’ve been paying attention. You can set a clock the instant they have kids.

When we were looking for a new place earlier this year, the majority of the houses we looked at had pictures of toddlers or other stuff saying they’d just had a kid. White people are terrified of city schools and if you don’t send your (white) kid to one of the suburban districts here people act like you’re abusing your kids.

you have so many stupid as gently caress opinions about poo poo you have zero clue about. it's sort of impressive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You moved to send your kids to a white school district too, huh

what

do you even have kids lmfao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you post a shitload about kids and parents for someone who knows absolutely nothing about them. makes you think.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

what the gently caress are you talking about

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

if you find yourself constantly asking others if they're jealous of you, chances are nobody is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

all of my white as hell friends simply got priced out of owning homes in the city because nobody has a million dollars to spend on their first house.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wait a second what makes one an urbanism vs not one?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh. even if you don't own any cars, having a garage and a driveway is super useful for all kinds of poo poo. Mostly for doing projects where you need ventilation but don't want to be inside stinking up your house with paint/varnish/whatever sealant you're working with.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lol trampoline parks

literally every adult I've know who's held an event at one of those places is responsible for one of their friends completely wrecking a part of their body with lifelong effects as a result.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

super glad I bought a house ten years ago. jeez louise those rates are insane.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"oh this house full of bats? yeah that was a calculated move."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's a model train village, can't fool me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was talking to a younger coworker about her plans to buy a home and the only silver lining she came up with is that "well, you can always refinance but you can't ever change the principle purchase price so I'm hoping prices go down even if rates don't."

she's right about the principle but I don't know if "you can always refinance" is true right now unless your timeline for that is super long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ArmZ posted:

when you understand supply and demand.

yeah I supply five people and they demand 1 bedroom each PLUS two spare shitters for emergencies.