Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is this the highest YoY hike in mortgage rates historically, by percentage?

quote:

The average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage rose to 6.29% this week, up from 6.02% the previous week, mortgage finance giant Freddie Mac reported on Thursday.

A year ago at this time, the 30-year rate was averaging 2.88%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

i’m going on my third year in a for-profit property and my rent hasn’t gone up at all, should I hug my landlord?

yes.

pay your rent on time, keep a clean home, be a good neighbor, and thank your lucky stars when it all pays off, as in your case.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yep. and you should prostrate yourself before your landlord and offer gifts and sing praises

nah, you don't need to be obsequious; I've reported under-heating & no garbage collection (landlord didn't pay the trash bill for a month, lol) to the city & gotten landlords in trouble for that poo poo.

as far as repairs go, my experience has been the opposite of fitzy fitz's, bc at least at my current place they like it when you call in a repair that the engineer can handle rather than needing a plumber or w/e bc I let something go.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The stories about cranking rent up on stable long term tenants just baffle me .. like maybe my perspective is skewed but if I had a stable tenant i would be terrified to raise rent at all for fear of them leaving

at my last place when the building was sold my rent went up 30 percent, so I moved. At my current place, my annual increases have been under 1 percent for the last four years.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yeah: steam-heat radiators & heating rules per city code.

sept. 15 to june it has to be 68F inside 6 ft from any windows or doors, or something like that.

when the city came out, most of my apt. was in the low 50s, and the kitchen (small, leaky door) was in the 40s.

it had been like that for three days, bc the owners of the prop. mgmt. co. were out of the country, it started on a holiday weekend (jan. 1, iirc), and it took that long for the inspector to come out.

I wasn't the only tenant who called the city. The inspector visited a few apartments, issued something scary to the mgmt. co., and the next day & thereafter we had good heat.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a hard time understanding how bad a hurricane is going to be. I can never remember the categories.

same, except burn degrees.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

sure, but lets say you go from HOF poster Willa Rogers and your next tenant is How Are U and they text you democrat propaganda all the time

I don't know what HOF stands for & urban dictionary makes it sound like even I would rather have how are u as a tenant than me. :ohdear:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

well, that's much better than the shart or w/e the def was on urban dictionary. :sweatdrop:

I'm usually good at sussing out acronyms, too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

a year or so ago my mom sold the house we grew up in because it was basically too much house for her and my step dad, they couldn't maintain it and couldn't really afford it. some house flippers offered to buy it as is. it's up on zillow now and goddamn it looks like poo poo.

every thing is white, grey or black. they painted the brick fireplaces white and the wood bookcases black. grey carpet everywhere on the 2nd floor, the first floor is either grey tile or fake grey hardwood (it's not real hardwood because the house never had the real thing). same thing for the basement. although the new owners are going to enjoy the basement flooding and ruining that nice new carpet lmao

why is this the new standard for house flipping, it's so boring and sterile and ugly. like the house needed renovations but it looks like an office now

what in the name of industrial prison lighting is going on with that third-down left-hand ceiling fixture?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

People like sterile. Clean pallette, they can go hog wild!*

* - leave them white because they're indecisive

when my friends were prepping their 100-yr-old victorian for market last year their agent told them to paint all the natural woodwork white & the off-white walls all grey.

they had already gotten an offer accepted on a place they were buying tho so they sold their old house without loving it all up.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

why aren't these places using that software that replaces uggo furnishings with tasteful decor?

like, even fsbo listings use that poo poo these days, but this is repped by a sotheby's affiliate, which is extra lol given the sotheby name's (former) cachet.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the last 3 rental leases I've signed specifically stated that you can't cover your windows with anything other than curtains or blinds.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Minimum lot sizes + habitable square footages + mandatory setbacks are a huge part of why anyone under 40 can't afford a place of their own anymore.

also why the 1/3 of americans over 50 living alone, as cited in the story, can't afford to buy a place of their own.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

peggy from natick is correct: gas leafblowers suck & everyone should leave the leaves.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

grow the grass + leave the leaves are 2 initiatives I wholeheartedly support, even tho I'm a renter, bc they both favor laziness, which I also wholeheartedly support. :)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

no lies detected.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I know that density is good, especially in a place like l.a., but a teardown for a home like this to be replaced by only a duplex should be a crime.

https://twitter.com/esotouric/status/1611568549524299777

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

projecting what? that old things are good, lol?

bc I would beg to differ, but I grew up (and now live) in a city with beautiful victorian architecture & have a soft spot for it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

an old mansion replaced with luxury apartments still doesn't seem like a loss

it's being torn down for two units, not a complex.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The sales listing has it as 4 bedrooms/2 baths.

Interior pics make it look fugly as hell.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nice backyard worth $1 million+ sales price. And the upper windows being barred is an elegant touch.

I'm starting to change my mind about the teardown.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ammanas posted:

no government entity is going to ban buying homes to rent them, even if it's wildly in their interests to do so

that's where the evil HOAs come in handy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The modest 4b, 3ba victorian that my friend grew up in, which her parents bought for $19k, is on the market for $1.1 million. (Her family sold it off 20 years ago.)

Even in here in the chicago northern burbs that's a wildly inflated price & I'd be surprised if it sells for much more than $700k.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol illinois.

Wonder what the property taxes are like.

As of 2019 property taxes were $18k, lmao. They went down slightly during covid year 2020 but were still $17k.

The house last sold in 2013 for $725k after my friend's family sold it in the early aughts for $350k.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Colorado had dirt-cheap property taxes when I was scoping out homes there a decade ago.

Cook County probably has the highest property tax in IL, and then living in a city in which a tax-free non-profit keeps gobbling up property doesn't help either.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

how is 4BD/3BA modest

bc it had tiny rooms + two baths when it was first built. My friend grew up there with four siblings.

I think someone finished the attic at some point, and my friend's ex (a contractor) built an enclosed back porch on it, and some rooms have been merged, but I grew up in a similar house & it was far from spacious at the time. (That house, too, has since had an attic finished & some other renos.)

Think large (and especially the catholic) 60s families. There was a rowhouse across the street from us with 4 bedrooms + finished attic but they had 10 freaking kids.

They called it the baby boom for a reason!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh, yeah: I've been paying my clients' prop. tax bills + also hear my house-owning friends grumble.

Pretty slick of them to delay sending out the bills by five months & coincidentally put the mailings after the november elections!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

My clients get letters on the reg from (non-Burke or crony) lawyers soliciting appeals; they charge a flat (fairly low) percentage of the amount saved (and nothing if the appeal fails) so it's worth considering.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This seems cheap for a FLW-designed home but if it's like his others then the inside is a wreck by now. Outside's pretty, though.

And lol at the property taxes mentioned in the kicker.

quote:

Oak Park home that is an early design by Frank Lloyd Wright listed for $595,000

A three-bedroom, 2,064-square-foot house in Oak Park that is an early design by architect Frank Lloyd Wright is on the market for $595,000.

Built in 1898 and known as the George Smith Home, the shingle-style house on Home Avenue was listed in December for $770,000, and already has undergone two price reductions — first to $629,900 and now to $595,000. The home has been owned by the same family for more than six decades and has not been on the market during that entire time.

The house was built for Smith, who was a salesperson for Marshall Field & Co. Listing agent Catherine Cannon told Elite Street that “the inside needs work, but it has high ceilings, spacious rooms and nice delivery from room to room.” She also noted that the district in which the house is located ensures that its exterior is protected. As such, the home can’t be demolished.

“It’s not the norm of a Frank Lloyd Wright house that’s a Prairie-style home,” Cannon said. “But it’s bright, sunny and cheery, with big rooms, and it’s got a great floor plan. And it has beautiful bands around the room, with high baseboards, woodwork and Roman-style brick on the fireplace and the inlaid floor.”

Cannon told Elite Street that the house now is “priced to sell,” and that it’s an ideal project for someone looking to renovate a historic home.

“When they finish everything, I think it’s going to be a real showstopper,” she predicted.

The house has 1 ½ bathrooms, a large fireplace in the living room, 10-foot ceilings on the first floor, a wood staircase and a sunroom.

The home had a $16,568 property tax bill in the 2021 tax year.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

interior = wreck confirmed, from the one inside pic on the listing.

lmao, a teardown that can't be torn down.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

this is one of the few detached homes I was interested in (size + really good location), but if you check the price history it's obviously a completely overpriced flip.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4108-E-27th-St-Minneapolis-MN-55406/1977399_zpid/

$345/sq ft, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

This is far from a wreck this looks like something immediately livable.

I see ceiling (water?) damage & a wrecked floor.

But the real tell is that this was the only interior photo.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Beautiful ceiling fixture, tho; I wonder if it's original.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol

This three-bedroom home in Clifton, Nottingham, is mostly unremarkable — the two-story brick structure is priced at a reasonable $222,000 and photos of the interior show a humble family-oriented abode with wall-to-wall carpeting and plenty of natural light. Social media denizens, however, were quick to notice a standout oddity after the house listed on the platform Rightmove: Despite its average appearance, two things are very, very wrong.

Namely, there’s part of a bloody “keep out” sign visible in a mirror over the living room fireplace — and a grim reaper appears to be lurking just outside the front window.

The haunted house-level details, it turns out, are leftover Halloween decorations that unfortunately made it into the listing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's bordered by cities & suburbs & has had the same boundaries for 150 years.

There's suburban sprawl but Chicago itself is hardly "sprawling."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

lol
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3511-Davis-St-Evanston-IL-60203/3521306_zpid/

another example of a 3bd/1.5ba/1600 sqft house sold in '07 (for 405k) that has just sat for 16 years now and not even made it back to nominal value (zestimate 350k). and probably worth even less now that interest rates doubled. this is in a nice area, school right nearby, bla bla. cheap property taxes for the area though of a mere 4k!

How long has zillow been giving "zestimates" on rental values for single-family homes? That's the first time I've noticed it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That catlick family with 10 kids I mentioned who lived in a row house across the street from where I grew up only had one bathroom, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Bold new vision from the Biden administration on the issue of rental affordability

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1618235179734298625

They are going to issue a nonbinding resolution and ask others to do something, if they have the time. Thank you once again Joe for your ceaseless work in making America better every day.

I read another story about it & it's just more grift $ for some politically connected NGOs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gross San Francisco hoarder home sells for $500K over ask with 12 offers

(more pics at link :barf: )

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I was thinking it'd be a teardown. Hoarder remediation is p. difficult to pull off.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The house across the street from me had hoarders- young couple bought it for like ~150k more than what I payed for my house the street that is 2x the sqft and bedrooms.

they then proceeded to gut it to the studs and remodel it. Easily another 150-200k.

They’re way north of Half a million in the hole for the only one story house in a sea of two stories, that is honestly not worth more than 250-275k in a reasonable world, and only like 325-350k in this bizarre world. I don’t know how you get credit to do this kind of dumb shittery but it’s been impressive.

don’t buy a hoarders house you’ll get hosed in the end. Unless I guess you live somewhere like San Francisco.

I mean, the land value can exceed the property's worth, and that's likely the case with that house (in SF). Tear down, build a fourplex, sell each unit for $2-3 million (if not more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

ive been renting a 1br in a small condominium for a few years (moving out this month :)) the Owners hate the Renters so much. this old guy tried to gang up on a renter for parking in the assigned parking on the other side of the garage from his parking, thereby making it slightly more inconvenient to back out. an email chain was launched and a couple of the owners, including a lawyer, tried to get the renter to pay for daily Lyft rides because it was making it hard for an Owner with visibility and mobility issues to drive.

said old guy also started rumors about me being a gang member (???) after he dug through 8 half full recycling bins and found not completely flattening a box into a flat plane one time -- there was a corner!!

I also got into a dispute with the downstairs Owner for flushing the toilet or showering after 10 pm, and the landlord took her side until I said a medication I take frequently causes "profuse diarrhea," which I sent out in the condo-wide email chain

we also can't use the city's affordable large trash/recycling removal service cause the Owners refuse to give the service number that is required to set up an appointment.

homeowners are severely hosed in the head. I'm looking forward to my corporate slumlord apartment where everyone is equally Owned.

ok but you're a scrub for not flattering a cornered box at the seams for the recycling bin. :colbert: