Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anime was right posted:

i will never go to illinois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

yea you are correct the issue is political will.
yeah that's, like.... *gestures to everything*

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

willa is ri-- wait

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i've been thinking more and more about some sort of multi-family living arrangement as my parents and in-laws age

we're not there yet, but when/if faced with putting them in some sort of managed care situation where someone who is underpaid, overworked, and has their own life stressors is taking care of my family as a job... i dunno, i'm close enough to all of them that I would make drastic life changes to avoid it

the only thing that keeps my wife and i from doing it preemptively is that there are no loving jobs for us in areas that have actual multi-family homes we could afford

(and "affording" those houses means pooling resources with everyone because lol we never could)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

Flood Risk for 1118 Sarah St

Flood Factor is extreme, 9 out of 10
Flood Factor™
This property has a 99.80% risk of flooding over 30 years. This property’s risk of flood is increasing as weather patterns change. Flooding in this area is caused by precipitation.
lmao that you pulled this from the listing itself

amazing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it's actually nice; just needs some sheetrock. that floor looks new and well-done. the ducting hanging below the joists on the right would be irritating to deal with, but from the photo, looks good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i can walk down the street and get just about anything i need

not always the exact thing i want, but anything i need. might have to go a little further for the things i want

there are literally millions of people around me to talk about birding, or fitness, or art, or construction, or any of the other things i'm into

any service i need, there are dozens, hundreds, of vendors for it. healthcare, repair, education, whatever. it's america, so it all sucks, but it's there at least.

i have a job that pays me an actual wage, fully double what i would get just about anywhere else in the country

i've put 7000 miles on a car in three years, and nearly a quarter of that is driving to buffalo a couple times

there are so many reasons to live in a city beside "bars and restaurants," lol. just ask... i dunno, the billions of people that live in them. anyone who thinks it's about bars and restaurants is telling on themselves. i rarely go to restaurants and haven't been to a bar in three years, and even before covid rarely went to a bar.

cities. they're sorta a big deal for the last ~8000 years or so

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that chart is 100% generated by some stupid algorithm

destroy landlords

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

having access to The Nut House, New York city’s only 24-hour hardware store, is worth the potential… ah, 16% increase being considered by the rent stabilization board

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

jpmeyer posted:

it blows people's minds that there are suburban towns on long island with higher population densities than every major city other than nyc itself and san francisco

Long Island is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated there... nothing valued is there.

What is there is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Twerk from Home posted:

How is that arrangement any better than a normal manufactured house in a trailer park? $150k+ is well into giant doublewide territory and it's almost certainly better built than her thing at that point.
the times will write about one and ignore the other, that’s the only difference

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1214-James-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15212_M45860-00518

Has been for sale since 2021. In response to a lack of interest they’ve raised the price from $385k to $415k. Love our functioning free market
buy now... or else

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there's a giant new condo building in brooklyn that has "affordable" housing

https://hellgatenyc.com/the-affordable-apartments-brooklyn-tower-sinister-stalagmite-expensive

those are the income bands

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

they are, but only for people making those salaries, which is top 30%

the point is they chose to make their "affordable" units only affordable to well-off people

e: that 130% is 130% of local median income

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

extremely anecdotally, in my neighborhood there are virtually no 1 bedroom residences available for sale, and many 2 and, amazingly, 3 bedroom units.

when my wife and i were in the market 3-5 years ago, it was the exact opposite

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

so...the hope is you get used to that huge line of credit and... ?? default? ask for another loan? idgi

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

please get an attorney and talk to an accountant if you are engaged in the largest financial transaction of your life

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

do people not use attorneys when buying property in the rest of the country???? the first thing i did in nyc was find a real estate attorney ffs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i paid a guy $1200 flat to answer every legal question i had for over a year, look at every potential contract, take care of the closing, etc.

sure seems like a good idea versus reading the wikihow on buying a house or whatever idk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

in nyc there's a contract with almost every real estate transaction. hence the attorney.

and similar to above, in all your interactions with a seller, the seller's agent, your bank, even your own agent, etc., there is no one with your interests explicitly in mind. hence, the attorney. a real estate attorney has done this a million times, there's no "oh, well, forgot about that thing"

practically, i can see why not everyone would need an attorney in a relatively "vanilla" closing elsewhere in the country. However, at the moment something isn't vanilla... i'd rather have an attorney. beyond that, buying a home is the largest transaction most people will ever make. and you're the one with the money. don't you want to do everything you can to make sure everything is kosher, given that everyone wants that money??

e: the lien check mentioned earlier is part of it too. your bank will check. probably. But your attorney WILL check.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:42 on May 18, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Vomik posted:

nyc is just weird because of how much money is there and almost everyone who is rich enough to live there but isn't independently wealthy work in some professional services capacity.
this is an insane thing to say

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it's an anchor plate, a technique that's been around since the romans. it's no big deal. they're everywhere.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A Bad King posted:

Why are open cabinets stupid? Opening doors to grab a cup seems to be one additional step we can remove from our lives with minimal drawbacks. What, you don't want to stare at my 90s McDonalds Batman cup collection? That's a "you" problem.
if you use your stovetop a lot, you'll wonder why the "clean" dishes in your open cupboard are dirty all the time

or if you open your windows in a large city or dusty environment

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

hope you never have to work on that toilet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i mean you could live there

maybe grow some food

idk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

look, no doubt that place isn't worth 300k

but to say it's "worthless" is kinda weird, and to then say it's not "productive," is... well, give some thought to your impulse to denigrate something that you don't think is productive

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Jenny Agutter posted:

do you have any more information about this? I had a weird experience a year or so ago where I booked a room for a work trip at a residence inn (mid level suite hotel with kitchenettes) and when I checked in they informed me that in two days they were closing and becoming apartments, I’ve been curious if that was a trend and why it happened at that point in time

i dunno about elsewhere, but lots of budget hotels in nyc are basically booked forever as homeless shelter housing for families

not a new thing, either, been that way for years

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

post the listing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

what a horrific house

it has what i call 'tile cancer,' the tilework that is little rectangles of random tile serving as an "accent." it's just scraps that tile manufactures bundle in sheets and have successfully marketed. always ugly. easy way for a contractor to fill space

even in a 7 million dollar home

e: lol listed for a million dollars more a year ago

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jul 2, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Failson posted:

Toss a mattress in the gunhole, and that's another bedroom.

for billionaires

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

alcohol is a depressant. it was banned in rifle as a performance enhancing drug for the same reason beta blockers were. obviously dosage matters immensely.
wait what

are you telling me competitive shooters would have a beer and shoot better, and this has happened enough that it's banned as a PED

(i mean, kinda scans...)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao

https://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/alcohol-banned-from-rifle-competitions/article_208d46e3-8e6f-54b4-a2d5-98aef12ab40e.html

quote:

Hearts pounding, sweat running, nerves running. Any slight movement could trigger a misfire.

Rifle is a sport where accuracy and steadiness are essential. Competitors have to fire single rifle shots in a set period of time and are scored purely on accuracy.

It is crucial for competitors to have strong mental concentration, hand-eye coordination and steadiness.

Because shooters must be calm enough to steady their rifles and perform under pressure, competitors must try to release any anxiety and calm their nerves before competition.

Some college students may try to relieve everyday stress and anxiety with alcohol, and it's easy to see why. Its effects are so significant that alcohol is considered a performance-enhancing drug in rifle competition.

Although alcohol travels to all parts of the body after consumption, the drug affects the brain the most.

Obviously, if competitors consume too much alcohol their balance, steadiness, reaction time and motor skills become impaired.

But if a smaller amount of alcohol is consumed, the drug can potentially relax and slow competitors' heart rates.

Since alcohol is seen as a performance-enhancing drug in rifle, the National Collegiate Athletic Association and World Anti-Doping Agency have banned the drug specifically for the sport.

The NCAA states that it bans the use of alcohol "in competition for rifle." Along with alcohol, both organizations have banned beta-blockers, which are drugs that slow the heart rate, reduce blood pressure and are commonly used to treat cardiovascular conditions.

Husker junior Christine Costello, a junior rifle competitor, said she has known the dangers of using alcohol and shooting since she was a young girl.

"That's one of the first rules they tell you," she said. "I remember going to a class at my junior club. Alcohol was like rule number three: Don't mix alcohol and firearms. It's kind of a common sense thing."

Nebraska rifle coach Morgan Hicks said she hasn't heard of any cases in which competitors on the local or national level were caught with substances. However, she said she doesn't doubt alcohol's effects in the sport since athletes need to be as mellow and calm as possible while performing the same action over and over for two hours.

"Obviously, if the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency thinks alcohol is going to be a depressant or a performance-enhancing drug, it will help in some way," she said.

Hicks said the team is under constant watch, so the shooters know not to even think about using a substance such as alcohol. The team is tested randomly at least twice a semester under university policy. The team is also tested at championships and larger meets. A lot of the athletes also compete internationally, so they are tested by U.S. Olympic committees and international organizations.

"We're under constant watch, so we don't try to mess up," Hicks said.

Costello said she believes using alcohol and shooting is not a good combination. Also, she said she believes it's something that shouldn't be taken lightly.

"I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages," Costello said. "Balance, hand-eye coordination and concentration are so much more important than nerves. You can always control those in other ways."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i am, hilariously, trapped in NYC because i got a mortgage at the best possible time in the last 30 years, and bought what is, in ANY top 50 sized city in the country, considered an "affordable" home.

like, moving to Denver or something and getting a 3 bed 2 bath, ~2000 sq ft home, my mortgage would be more than double what i pay now. and then I'd need two loving cars, real home insurance (not condo insurance like now), etc.

insane. i'm gonna die here. never pictured this.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you are 1000% right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is residential home construction with steel studs not allowed for some reason? using 16 gauge 3 5/8 stud with clips and building box beam headers, and even using chicago bar if you must, it's lightning quick and rock solid. what i just described is overkill, but i dunno what the code requirements would be.

any crew that can frame out a house in timber can do it in steel. materials cost can be higher for steel, but insurance/labor is always lower. can't see how steel hasn't started to edge into timber more other than inertia

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i say swears online posted:

there are actually quite a few companies in texas that will pour a slab and build you a steel-frame house or super-large garage that you then do all the interior work with someone else

https://rafterpconstruction.com/where-we-build/floor-plans/
drat this owns i would love to do this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://rafterpconstruction.com/floor-plan/dallas/

The most Texas thing imaginable, a small living space attached to a gigantic garage
that's where the table saw and sheet goods go for me to build the rest of the house

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anyone who wants to sell a house is driven to never take prices down, even if it's not selling, because they need the cash to afford the next mortgage

lmao

everything is poo poo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

nearly half a million for a house made of plastic in iowa on a lot with no trees

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Beached Whale posted:

can someone who is smarter than me tell me if this looks like a bubble or is it all good

https://twitter.com/JeffWeniger/status/1683490032110260226

looks like a recovery to the trend pre-2008 crash to me