Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Just posting a few more goosebumps covers I generated

Please never stop making these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A couple of days ago I was having trouble getting to bed, thinking about the imminent collapse of our society and trying to be ever so slightly less fatalist and cynical about the future. I thought back to how close man was to the brink of extinction in the ice age, and decided to use Dreamily to generate the wording for a story I had the shape of in my head. It was surprisingly easy to direct the AI to mostly stick with what I had in mind, and definitely improve it in areas. I got inspiration from what it wrote, and used it to spark new ideas and move the story and emotions forward in ways I wouldn't have otherwise. It got off course plenty, and I had to write a few really prescriptive things in order to point it back in the right direction (mostly in the story the young man tells), but I really like how it came out, which was more or less how I had imagined. The prompt involved two cavemen walking through a snowy mountain pass.

quote:

"Do you remember the stories?" The young hunter whispers to his partner, who seems lost in thought as he stares into the cold, icy nothingness.
The older man looks over at him with furrowed brows before replying, "No." He stops walking momentarily and faces forward again, eyes scanning the horizon, "We have no use for those stories now. They speak of green fields and flowers." His gaze drifts back down towards where they came from and he continues walking.
The younger human follows suit and falls into step beside him once more. "If we ever make it across the mountains, what do you think we'll find there?" He asks curiously.
The older man did not reply.
"Something new?" The younger man asks eagerly, looking up hopefully at his companion.
The older hunter only shrugs and continues walking, though he does seem to frown a bit as his lips form around the words, "Maybe. But I'm not sure if that's possible anymore."
He continues to trail along without further comment, and the shorter man keeps walking beside him, occasionally stealing glances at the man next to him and wondering why he is always so quiet.
They continue on, the snow crunching underfoot and making the air cold even through the thick material of their heavy winter clothes.
"How much farther tonight?" The young hunter finally speaks, breaking the silence.
His question earns another shrug from the older man, but he answers anyway, "A little farther." He glances ahead as if to emphasize that the journey is almost complete, but says no more.
"Tell me a story," the young man said, "of green fields and flowers."
The old man grimaced, lips tight.
"If you do not," the young man chuckled, "then I will be forced to make up my own. And you hate my stories."
"You want to hear a story like the ones from your father?" The old man replied, sneering, "The ones about the foxes? About a man who made a beautiful bird in his hands out of a broken eggshell? About a woman with red hair?" The last sentence dripped with contempt.
The young man was silent, watching as the old hunter marched on through the snow. In the distance, the first pale rays of dawn were appearing.
"The foxes are dead." The old man hoisted himself up a rocky outcropping at the crest of the hill. "The man is dead, the bird is dead, the woman is dead." He gestured toward the unending tundra. "Nowhere to go."
The young man followed after him silently, climbing onto the rocky summit to join the hunter.
They stood together on top of the mountain peak overlooking the valley below, staring out across the empty landscape, the only sounds the soft patter of snow hitting stone.
"All that remains is for you to grow colder and colder." He glanced at the young hunter, who had followed him, and frowned, "And for me, to be dead. We've reached the end of the world."
The young hunter looked away, feeling ashamed.
"It's getting harder and harder to see the sun. It's getting harder and harder to see anything. Soon there will be nothing left to hunt or eat." The old man continued, "Nothing except for each other."
The young man nodded silently, thinking of all the stories his father had told him, before the valley had frozen over. Stories of brave hunters returning in triumph, of bountiful harvests of crops beyond count, of strange and curious goods brought from faraway lands. All the wonders the old man had dreamed up, to entertain the little boy when he was sick or scared. Stories of love and family and life.
And now, all that was gone.
"I have a story," the young hunter said suddenly.
His companion looked at him with mild interest, "Go on then," the old man encouraged softly, "What is it about?"
The young man hesitated before continuing, "It's about a young woman, whose tribe had been following a group of caribou. One night, a storm came in, and washed all but her out to sea, drowned. Alone and with no better plan, she continued to follow the herd. For many moons she walked in their shadow, hunting rabbit and fox when she could..."
The old man listened with half an ear, eyes fixed outwards towards the lightening land. When the young hunter paused, his attention returned to his companion.
"...her hair turned grey, following the caribou. She came to know them well, to live amongst them. To eat what they ate, to sleep where they slept. Her hair became thick and hardy, a pelt much like theirs. Her hands and feet became hard and calloused until they were like hooves. As time passed, she became less like a woman and more animal; cunning and quick. And soon enough she had become one of them."
The man stopped speaking and stared off across the valley. After a moment he added, "She grew strong too, becoming as strong as the most powerful of the herd. When wolves came, she used her cunning to stave off their attacks. When rivers froze over, she led them over the ice to hot springs. When the wind howled, she held firm against it. The herd thrived. But, like all things, one day she died. And the herd still thrived. Even now, the herd yet thrives."
Silence hung heavily over the pair, only broken by the occasional distant cry of a raven. The young man looked up at the sky. The sun had begun to rise higher in the east, the rays piercing the black dome above.
"So what happens when the sun rises?" He asked, turning toward the older hunter.
The old man shrugged. "The day begins anew."
The young man nodded, turning back toward the valley to watch it change colors slowly as the sun stretched over the tundra. "It must have been quite beautiful," he murmured to no one in particular.
There was another pause, then a grunt of agreement. The old man reached for a rock and slowly sat, stiff knees creaking under the weight of his long furs, staring out across the expanse of snow and ice. The young man sat behind, watching the valley fill with light. Silence reigned throughout the hills as the old man's breathing slowed, growing more and more shallow.
Suddenly the young hunter felt a hand upon his shoulder and a soft voice whispering in his ear, "Will you tell me one more?"
The young man smiled gently and turned around in time to see his companion lay back against the rocky cliff and close his eyes. Their breath rose in wispy clouds, and the young man began to whisper stories to the sunrise.

The tense changes at one point, and there's probably a few minor goofs here and there, but I was impressed. I ran it through an automatic plagiarism filter and it picked up a decent number of sentences yanked from everything from random nonfiction YouTube videos to old half-forgotten pulp fiction. Once these tools reach full maturity and the copyright issues are cleared up, it's really going to be scary how fully they'll be embraced by authors.

I like this story enough that I decided to adapt it into a comic book as an experiment:

This also involved a ton of image generation for every panel in MidJourney, picking the handful that felt close to what I had imagined or pleasantly surprised me, then selectively erasing things and adding in new prompts in DALL-E and expanding the scenes. I also manually adjusted the colors here and there to match a bit more, but nothing is painted or added by hand.

After a certain point, what I was able to do with the tool started to make the visuals feel very repetitive, so I stopped. I couldn't get it to do specific poses or compositions which would add a ton to the visual storytelling, and it looses a lot of emotion that's present in the prose because of it. I couldn't even get them to consistently hold spears or bows, or show emotions easily.

Still, a fun experiment.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 24, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there currently any online services which let you do proper AI upscaling with newer methods? I can't run things off my computer's GPU and all the in-browser upscaling methods I've seen are extremely out of date.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Training continues on.

Doing gods work. Can you generate some characters that weren't in TAS, like Jason Todd and Red Hood and the Court of Owls and Professor Pyg and such?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's not aware of the other characters, but I was able to use txt2img and img2img to make this:

Hell yeah. This is great. What about Marvel characters? Would love to see its take on Iron Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Congratulations, you've reinvented Jared Leto

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who hasn't been able to play around with too much cutting-edge stuff because I have a crappy computer and am too dumb to figure any of the more complicated stuff out, MidJourney v4 is blowing my goddamn mind.

What's the best in style transfer these days? If I put some time into it, would I be able to reasonably transfer a portrait photograph into the style of, say, Robert McGinnis or Mort Künstler? Or is that sort of thing still difficult for it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah sorry, to clarify—I'm wondering about taking an existing photograph and trying to get an AI to output a repainted version of that in an artist's style, while looking reasonably like the original person.

I don't know if there's any real difference in complexity of that versus prompt-based image generation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wrote and produced an adventure radio drama with a friend a decade ago that I've always remembered fondly. I decided to use Midjourney v4 to create an image that I've had in my head since then, but am not a good enough artist to paint myself: the cover of the trashy pulp book that the radio drama was (metafictionally) adapted from:

Extremely happy with how it turned out. Took a lot of working and reworking of images that it spit out, but it more or less looks like exactly what I had in my head.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 8, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Appreciate it, all. Of course it's a mix between the AI generation and a good amount of manual effort with color matching and outpainting and such, but it feels pretty amazing that someone with extremely limited illustration talent can do this sort of thing.

To give a sense of how many iterations this thing went through before its final form, here's some rejected elements all living together in an alternative version:

TIP posted:

this is great

also you should know there's a typo, it says mysery instead of mystery

That was, uh, intentional. You see, cheap paperbacks don't have the highest editorial standards. That's it.

...thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

This is cool too! Did you get it to make this halftone effect or was that photoshoped later?

Halftone and grain were Photoshop, as was some color correction. I also had to generate the gun separately and outpaint it into her hand. But I had to strategically put a background behind it then erase it later because Dall E really doesn't like guns and outpaints them into other things.

To me this feels like the ideal way to use AI to make art—generate elements, use AI to adjust them to your needs, then combine with an artistic eye to create something that is AI generated, but filled with specific artistic intent

This whole process left me yearning for being able to easily give text prompts to adjust the output. Certain things you can outpaint easily, like changing a collared shirt to a turtleneck, but things like perspective or lighting or pose would be incredible to adjust with text prompts and would take this from a toy to a true tool. Being able to reroll something with an additional text prompt would be ideal.

Also, Midjourney is so much better than Dall E that it's a bummer to have to outpaint in a lesser program. MJ desperately needs outpainting. It's also a huge pain in the rear end that Dalle E outpainting can't take the whole image into account if you want to work with higher resolution images.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 8, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Another of my old radio dramas come to life...

This time in the form of a magazine that adapts radio dramas into short stories. Depicted is the thrilling climax where former boxing champion Jonnie Kidd is kidnapped by a notorious gangster with a grudge, then flown above the grand canyon and forced to face a choice between being shot or jumping to his doom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any web-based tool (with no complex setup) which allows me to rough in shapes and get finished images? I know the tech exists if you properly know what you're doing with this stuff, but I'm just a dummy who uses MJ on Discord. I tried loading a rough sketch of outlines into DALL-E but it just ignored it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pixaal posted:

The Huggingface https://huggingface.co/spaces/anzorq/finetuned_diffusion is working right now, this breaks for hours at a time, but go to the img2img tab and it should do what you want, change the model from Arcane it's not very good you probably want it set to Mid Journey to start the others don't seem as well trained.

That colab notebook (and the hugging face hosting it) I linked will do this with img2img it looks insane when you open it (it's code) but you just have to press run all and wait like 5 minutes get a link and click it boom website running on google colab for you that does AI art in a nice package with img2img negative prompts and of course the normal positive prompting. You can combine all of these at once.

Really anything supporting img2img from stable diffusion linage should be able to do that.

Just remember down your Google colab sessions so you aren't wracking up hours you haven't used and getting lower priority for being a resource hog on a free account. Google is giving you a nice GPU when your done let the next person have it (it could be someone here!)

This is perfect, thank you so much! I found some old sketches from a lost media project I want to try and generate full paintings of. My first few tests went... okay. I'll toy with it.

Snowy posted:

Any ideas on how I can get better, more consistent results? I’m getting lots of images that are way off the mark and cherry picked the ones above.

Have you tried "animation model sheets"? This is what "animation model sheets of a cute hamster, multiple angles, chibi, in the style of ghibli" got me on MJ, first try:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Post what you get, I'm curious what ends up resonating!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

i made a post or 4 about doing this in mj v4

Amazing. This is exactly what I was hoping for, you're a mensch!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How the heck is Remix not a default-on option on MJ? This is a total game-changer in inching this toward a proper tool.

e: Also, I think the novelty of MJ4 is finally wearing off for me. I feel like I've played around with it a lot and found the limits of what it is and isn't good at, which just makes it so frustrating that the version of this that is actually going to do the things I want it to do is still a year or so away. Right now I can get some great results for what I want, but it takes a LOT of fiddling and experimenting and failure.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and a lot of these developments are leapfrogged in the next few months.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 16, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still have to redo hands in DALL-E like 70% of the time, but yeah I did notice a quality bump.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why does MidJourney make such bad dinosaurs :smith:

It can make a decent T-Rex, but that's about it. And even then it does wacky things with the arms. Trying to make a triceratops just makes totally freakish monsters, even if you feed it seed images.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

I interrogated an image of a triceratops in SD and it thinks it's a trilops, which is a monster from a video game.

I eventually tricked it by making a rhino then inpainting triceratops features little by little. So far I've been unable to replicate my success with a stegosaurus. Too unique, I think.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Behold, the closest thing I can get to a stegosaurus after dozens of variations:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That sucks. The way I maintain continuity with characters across multiple prompts is through putting in celebrities who "play" the characters. Otherwise you can't really generate multiple types of images of the same person easily, in my experience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm very interested in an image upscaler, would love some details from someone who's used it about what it's good at and what it's not. Does it really just focus on portraits and photos of subjects, or is it good at art and environments as well?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone post a duck

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Excellent ducks, all.

What's the prompt? It looks so much like Steve Purcell's art but I didn't get similar results when I tried him before.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

"The cops said it was an accident. But me? I knew there was fowl play..."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The purpose is horrifying but that design is sleek

I mean, outside of the pods this is nothing new. The Soviets went nuts for these things in the late 60s and early 70s:

ektachrome 35mm photograph of a 1970s Soviet kitchen device which dispenses liquid cheese, cup full of hot liquid cheese, product shot, promotional photo, product design, sleek design, Soviet 1960s design

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cross-posting this since it's very relevant to the thread. I'm doing an illustrated Choose Your Own Adventure version of Jurassic Park in the Let's Play forum, a sort of side-quel that takes place the same day as the first movie. The whole thing is powered by (mostly) AI imagery, and hopefully will be a good bit of fun:

Jurassic Park: Edge of Chaos

Planning to incorporate AI text prompts, too, but we'll see how chaotic it gets.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No. The dinosaurs will be very bad. Some of them will work okay, but there will be a lot of extra limbs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah. I'm pretty hesitant at where this tech is going, but it's exciting being here right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Ok I will bite: explain art.

Done.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've had a ton of failures throughout the day

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

yeah I think what the developers are going for is a chatbot that won't lie and make up facts when you ask it for genuine factual information. If the chat bot understands that you understand its making things up than its ok

Yeah, I was trying to get it to cast a fictional TV series, and it kept telling me it couldn't because it doesn't have knowledge of the future, or because such a series doesn't exist. I ultimately had to ask for suggestions for who should be cast before it finally caved and spit out some actors.

It actually did a terrific job coming up with a cast at that point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

"Make it sew!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Best I could get with image prompts:

I find the trick is to use at least 2 images.

Popoto posted:

I tried making some pixel arts assets with midjourney. This poo poo is insane. There’s still a lot of touch ups to do but it’s gonna save me so many hours.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I would encourage people to think about pixel waste and try to minimize it

every time you do a bad render it lights a bunch of pixels for no reason

think about the pixels before you just jam "anime tiddies" into a prompt to see what happens. (come on you know what's going to happen that's why you did it)

every pixel is special, every pixel is great

uh huh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah can you make him a bit... I don't know, beefier? Buffer? Chonkier? Swoller?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tried to do it with Data and Riker but the results felt too pornographic. That being said, this one is worth sharing:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes but what if it is accurate and the computer has figured out how to predict tornados

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Someone needs to train an AI based on the character art in the HADES games.

Too easy.