Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Endorph posted:

followup on musk firing literally the entire japanese staff: tatsuki fujimoto, the author of chainsaw man, one of the most popular manga in the world with a currently airing anime, got his account banned because he made a joke about being seven years old, and twitter just went 'oh okay' and banned him for being underage, even though he had an actual checkmark and was the author of chainsaw man. he is currently trying to get his actual account restored but cannot because twitter's jp customer support doesn't exist and he can only get in touch with people who speak english.

https://twitter.com/ashitaka_eva/status/1591202977607749638

ergo he is tweeting things like 'im really tatsuki fujimoto! please believe me!'

this is terrible but also rules lmao. Twitter is providing way too much content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

If anyone comes into something awful with that Twitter brain of "you say you like waffles? You abelist poo poo why don't you think of people who only can eat pancakes" I will permaban them

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

If Elon musk registers on something awful I will ask astral to make it so that you can't see his posts normally except when you search his user ID and read them in the search results

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Who still uses lulz

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The 11 to 15 yo crypto children

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I yell "Twitter drives engagement" as my hour long tweet can't even get above 1k likes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

GD_American posted:

Considering their development cycle we're probably about 2 years away from an MCU villain that's practically an Elon subtweet, right

Already in the recent she hulk series

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Genericide posted:

How did Elon go from complaining about Twitter on Twitter, to legally having to buy it?

He posted one of those tired pronoun jokes and grimes responded with "I know you don't have so much hate in your heart" that ultimately led to her leaving him and hooking up with Chelsea Manning. He got so mad about this he tweeted that he was going to buy Twitter at the funny weed number and then somehow @jack took notice and said yes, yes! Let's do it! Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty) and roe Rogan to be part of his negotiation buddies, and presumably a terrible lawyer at some point, and he signs an airtight contract where Twitter is able to force him to purchase the company at a way overvalued US$44b or so or he pays a billion or two as contract termination damage. He realised the error and tried several times to get out where @parag knew he was making poo poo up, so Twitter brought him to court. The court discovery process came to the point where his text messages needed to be made public (leading to the Rogan / roiland texts being leaked) and to stop more from turning up he gave up and agreed to the purchase. He bought a sink to the HQ and then fired the c level team including @parag "for cause" when they all had golden parachute clauses in their employment contracts, so they probably are initiating or have initiated lawsuits against him now. He then fired the board making him sole director and presumably they also have golden parachute clauses too. He fired almost everyone else, killed remote working, and caused the legal, cyber security, privacy, compliance, communications, pr, advertising and other heads to quit. He continues tweeting throughout this whole thing.

In essence, transphobia cost him us$44b and potentially his reputation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sebmojo posted:

I think the billion was just if the financing fell through, it wasn't a choice between paying that or going through with the deal.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, there wasn't a "buy twitter or pay a few billion" choice, it was "buy twitter, or buy twitter and pay a huge penalty"

Lol it's even worse than I remembered. Just a contract written with a massive L on the first page

I enjoyed that he forced them on a deal and they they made it more seller friendly which we barely blinked at

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Also just remembered that he started off the whole process by buying shares into the company to obtain a board seat, but (again, presumably) was unable to pass their due diligence and other regulatory tests and thus @parag and the team refused as they should have. That then led to the funny weed number bid.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

GD_American posted:

wait lol how have I not heard this part yet

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1099039453190877184?t=-7KWIs0HGNCm5hp4IBMkNQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/wcti12/status/1576119736202674181?t=y_TamuuMTlOsWOT8fH8J_A&s=19

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1589779352912547840?t=Mh7rqQmn_l9-8DIhwvn-kg&s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

madmatt112 posted:

potentially doing some PB lifting here

Not sure what pb is (I assume it's personal best and not peanut butter or power bottom) but it is a bit of a stretch, although there's some truth in that the Chelsea manning / grimes news broke on Twitter and people were dunking on him hard on Twitter, and that was likely the thing that led him to want to control the platform to control his image, leading to the share purchase (as pointed out) against regulations and then the board freeze out and then the bid and then the lawsuit and then the purchase.

I had breakfast with a friend with I was writing the posts earlier and she asked me to explain the whole thing. The number of times she said "no, this is too stupid" is more than 5

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I honestly have never heard the term and I assume it's something that has been phased out but still remains in some liminal spaces

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sugar free jazz posted:

lol open kimono is actually derived from the Japanese phrase 陰茎 which translates to something like casual lunch, a reference to loosening of traditional business formality

:hmmyes:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1591487650812551168?t=pu01wkuPCFpbtlYlrdSIpQ&s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If anyone comes into something awful with that Twitter brain of "you say you like waffles? You abelist poo poo why don't you think of people who only can eat pancakes" I will permaban them

Just to note that the new Twitter brain thing I've seen is "you refuse to pay us$8 for verification, and mock those who buy it? Do you mean to say you don't respect labor and thus agree Twitter employees should not be paid you capitalist scum?"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I saw a recent Marques Brownlee youtube video where he professed confusion as to how musk was going to make Twitter take over YouTube as the "premier social platform" and this has to be the knee-jerk response musk is giving. Just lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

lobsterminator posted:

I look forward to watching how Elon will say "yes, we can do that even better" to every random request from people.

Twitter will soon be a streaming platform and a dating service and a grocery store and a car rental company.

All implemented by the barely motivated skeleton crew of programmers.

This isn't hyperbole btw. He really did say at one point he wanted Twitter to be a superapp like how wechat operates in China, which (among other social aspects) would require Twitter to not only have an e wallet capability but also be a financing company that provides loans and insurance to users. That of course requires Twitter to be an app with strong cyber security and a well implemented identification process and not one where you pay money to be a verified account or harass celebrities

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

fuctifino posted:

If anyone wants to tweet any of these images to him, feel free. I've tweeted a few at him

This is rather accurate for 'Fat Sweaty Elon Musk in a see through kimono"

amazing there are only 3 hands and not 3 nipples

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/jammonravager/status/1591869702598701058

lol

literally saw 2 teslas on the road today (rare occurrence in SEA) and my friend asked "is this the one that just blows up"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i dunno how legal it is in the US but it's super easy to mod an android panel on to the dashboard or console area of your car and have it play video and games with a touchscreen. I have sat in separate occasions e-hailing cars where the owners have done that with impressive widescreens, one playing RRR (dudes rock) and the other stock tips on youtube. I've seen on Douyin (chinese version of tiktok) where people mod a vertical car screen to constantly play Douyin videos non-stop, which has to be some kind of personal hell for someone out there.

playing christmas songs? lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Soggy Muffin posted:

If you watched it you would have heard how he was trapped inside the car for over a week, almost died of thirst but he was smart and kept redrinking he’s pee and eating his poop for snacks

that's how Tesla generates the carbon credits they make their money selling other corporations to

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

what does that whole series of tweets mean

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

boofhead posted:

He could have hired a team of round the clock therapists

Therapists are for LIBS!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Wonder what Tom MySpace thinks about this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sebmojo posted:

I'm pushing the buttons but they are not working sorry

that's because you're admin and not a mod... hehehe.....

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Durzel posted:

How much truth is there in the pervasive rumour that Twitter staff (and SV folk in general I guess) have a very cushy working life compared to what most others would experience? I can accept that it's a bit of a meme the whole "1 hour of work, the rest of the day in the rec room", but I wonder what substance there is to it. Obviously that culture is the opposite of what Musk wants, and his "40 hours in the office and you can work the rest of them from home" is too far on the other end of the spectrum. I guess I'm just curious as to whether Twitter was an outlier in terms of productivity vs wellness, or whether that's typical in SV, or whether it's all just hyperbole.

Quite happy to be told that I'm an idiot for even giving it any serious consideration.

I'm suspecting "not much", in the recent weeks there are a bunch of tiktok videos of rich women doing their daily routine where very little work is performed but they have lots of benefits, and they claim things like being a Facebook content moderator or such. I think they are falsified to piss off the crypto bros and the musk sycophants and so they can be elated when lots of people are fired from Twitter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/Et3rnalOptimist/status/1592618889309028352?t=YaJwwi-mgC_vEIXcUGko2Q&s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Is musk still playing his jank elden ring build

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

these forums rule lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

priznat posted:

“Self taught infrastructure engineer”, what the gently caress does that even mean

These bootlicks are loving pathetic

[goes to a construction site once] I know infrastructure now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

It would be very funny if fifa and the world cup organizers put up messages telling people to post anywhere but Twitter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593427480051822592?t=Qrx734ppqmFbZroeDutXnw&s=19

🤣

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I don't think even babylon bee got their account reinstated. The only things he has done are elevating the cat turd 2 account, and approved libs of tik tok's :eightbux: purchase so if Twitter goes down he would have finally killed it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Uploading the vid as he may ban the account

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/835950720254738482/1042995996000518204/ssstwitter.com_1668739998731.mp4

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Craig K posted:

"well, i certainly predicted the something awful forums would outlive twitter," i said, lying through my teeth

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Woolie Wool posted:

mods make :matters: posting probatable outside of cspam tia

I would but I have no buttons here lol. All I can offer is some ad hominem and call those people insufferable morose letdowns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Unperson_47 posted:

I've kinda stopped keeping up with this thread for the past few days/week. Why exactly has the sentiment tipped so much to "Twitter's dying" today? My only exposure to Twitter is embeds on these dead forums.

Recent news, both official and otherwise, strongly suggest that less than 300 (being generous, 500) people are working in Twitter arising from musk 's latest pr stunt, and a great deal of people in their key infrastructure teams have left the company. In the eve of the upcoming world cup in Qatar, where instant news is required at all times (and coupled with the controversial nature of fifa itself plus the venue of Qatar), it is anticipated that Twitter will need to handle a wide load of traffic that recent shenanigans would be considered peanuts to. There is speculation that this will cause Twitter servers to completely shut down during the world cup event due to the lack of infrastructure, warm bodies and the current chaotic nature of management where the owner appears to prefer clout among random people rather than stability. Advertising agencies have also pulled out from Twitter arising from the uncertainty which would put financial strains in maintaining the servers.

While it's unlikely Twitter will die, it will probably get a massive hit that may render it a shadow of the global trend maker as it has been for the past decade. Facebook took several years to go through its decline, whereas Twitter apparently only needed a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Deki posted:

Is payroll something that you could get contractor companies to handle on a short term basis?

Inadvisable, but I believe so. There's a risk they may just pay themselves a nice big sum and disappear before lunch