Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love this narrative in some mainstream news site opinion sections that there's going to be some noticeable before and after with twitter and it will "become" a cesspool. Like to me twitter is the place people go to post their stupid hot takes, shitpost memes, dunk on people for whatever, and just generally act like a complete shithead so like what's the difference really? It's the place you go to be loving stupid and will remain as such albeit apparently with everyone greater leeway to do so apparently.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Lot of people are saying this, but it's definitely against. Garrison hates Musk and that's not the first time he made it clear.

... Don't ask me to explain why, though. Garrison's a lunatic. I guess Musk is a pretty divisive figure in different camps of internet loons, and Garrison is from the anti-Musk one.

Make a not of this, because the American far right wing is in it's trolling phase right now because it's generally what they do, but will ultimately enter it's grievance phase with Elon Twitter by some time next year after the deal closes because it's the other thing they do. You'll get to see the entirety of the performance and political theater in the long run. I mean gently caress their entire political and election strategy relies on culture war and the idea that they are forever being censored and need to rise to action, it's not like it's something they can ever just abandon or claim is magically solved by one particularly thing happening and actually stick to such a claim for more than news cycle. That'd make Elon twitter takeover actually terrible for their electoral prospects if they actually adopted a belief that their grievances are now magical solved and they go back to not being fired up to vote for lovely right wing candidate x in deep red state y.

barmk ima dog lol posted:

Twitter is for dumb babies who want to eat poo but they're too stupid to cram the turd in their mouths and end up splatting it in their eye and they start to cry and scream until their hungover dad comes in, irritated as gently caress, with a box of cereal and starts swatting them in the back of the head with it while saying "Shut up shut up"

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to pretend it's something great and a tool for communication and good like the mainstream media continues too to this day. I love how the MSM continues to disregard that the platform is an absolute pile of loving poo poo in practice, that is in large part responsible for the decline of productive civil discourse in Western civilization and it's ability to accomplish anything anymore.

Hopefully somebody will make a timeline for the happening of free speech on twitter and can show us all in particular the exact specific moment in time down to the second when we all get our free speech, since there's clearly an exact specific definition of what that means to allow for such a distinction. :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jimlit posted:

If you post a sick liberal dunk online and there's no libs around to see it did your dunk even exist in the first place

No you see you don't understand. There's no dunking going on because people are being silenced by the tyranny from _____ from voicing their opinion you see. How do I know these people are being silenced if they're being silenced from telling us they're being silenced......well you see they're being silenced you see.....but now they won't be you see....don't you see? :psyboom:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

Elon fanboy makes art, people share it without crediting him, fanboy complains even though Elon outright said people should stop crediting artists.

Again I just love being able to see beyond all the bullshit and know that this is the right trolling phase fulfilling prime directive #1 aka "Own The Libs" before being forced into prime directive #2 aka "MUH GRIEVANCES!" every single day. They cannot suddenly abandon "OMG CENSORSHIP!!!!!! THE TYRANNY OF IT ALL!!!" among other refrains and have a strong electoral motivation policy. Culture war and endless grievance narratives are literally the most successful political strategy the far right have had in generations for getting people that otherwise would have no interest in politics to not only vote, but vote for them since it brings it down to a level that even the average idiot with zero interest in politics or how government institutions actually work can understand. Ben Garrison is just kind of jumping the gun, by being ahead of the current narrative.

The guys quote was that, "A social media platform's policies are good if the most extreme 10% on left and right are equally unhappy", and seeing how the guy thinks and acts (like a loving child basically) I can't help but take that sentiment at face value as his plan for twitter. Basically maintaining the status quo, but pretending things are different by opening pursuing it and being proud of it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 26, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Starting to jerk off right wing figures and "free speech" bros on his account as of yesterday. Looking to be a super inclusive version of the website that people are going to want to flock to en masse and destined to grow with the onset of "free speech". I love it when the person that runs a particular mass media platform never shuts the gently caress up and has far too much to say. I don't understand why people want to use twitter now and I don't understand how people could want to use Elon's version of it either.

Also breaching a supposed part of the acquisition deal which said not to disparage twitter, it's employee or users as well. Definitely the kind of person I'd also want to work for and who clearly has good intentions. The skies the limit for Twitter.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Durzel posted:

Just lol that you think Musk is going to moderate his thoughts to adhere to some "ToS".

It's pretty lol how people are wringing their hands raw with hot takes like "this.. this is the moment that will kill Twitter", like Twitter isn't a cesspool already.

Frankly, Musk buying Twitter might actually be good for humankind, because he might inadvertently destroy it.

I don't expect that at all. Twitter is going to continue to be a shitshow only with its literal owner actively and openly participating in the shitshow on a daily basis.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 27, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

Truth Social is only staying online because their hosting provider was specifically created to host Truth Social and be a champion for the app. I imagine if Twitter goes the way of being wildly unmoderated, AWS (or whoever the gently caress is hosting Twitter) is gonna have some thoughts about that, and they might threaten to stop hosting the site.

But honestly i'm also in the camp of this is probably a pump-and-dump scheme.

i deleted my twitter a couple of years ago because it just got so bad. everyone wants to rile everyone else up and just be angry and that was my cue to delete all my social media. my instagram stories were all just "hey you need to be angry about X because of Y"

i'm a linkedin boy now

Yeah this is easily why its absolutely loving terrible. It's also influenced the rest of the internet too and destroyed the ability to have a productive conversation about anything in most places a good chunk of the time because everyone just wants to stupid argue and be mad. I never had an account and that alone made me never conside wanting to get one.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519377424437243904?cxt=HHwWgMCj9fXt9JUqAAAA

:lol: hes still going. Like I'm sure there's some people out there that still don't use Twitter as an aggressively American culture war centric political platform but theres zero pretense of it being about anything else by its soon to be owner. The prospects are just limitless.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519415674111672325

Unlock the full potential of the site. Upset those people Elon :lol:

I cant wait for the twitter board to final make some comments that they've been asked for. Like hey I hear you are in the business of upsetting people as your business model for the ideal social media site, can you elaborate?

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1520021098934554624?cxt=HHwWgMC-0drImZgqAAAA

It's the average persons absolutely imbecilic comprehension of politics in the twitter age in the span of 30 minutes. Also no fan of the far right, but he's certainly not going to openly criticize them or say stupid propaganda laced poo poo about them. Also more love and less hate, but in the meantime here let me continue to introduce divisive topics and memes about politics multiple times a day. Concern trolling and gaslighting 101.

I seriously still can't wait till a twitter rep person is reached for and actually gives comment on all this poo poo. Like @Jack and Mark Zuckerberg look positively relatable, normal and filled to the brim with at least neutral intentions next to "Make love not war" concern trolling Elon and his hard on for the American left-wing.

e: Not seeing a lot of Elon dick sucking and casual concurrence with memes replies on that one like I would automatically figure.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 29, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

hahahaha he's going to piledrive this into the ground

based Elon

Yeah I want to pay to use the shithole democracy destroyer dunksite. Thats the ticket.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Not even a week and he's already using his new toy hellsite to get out lunatic far right conspiracy theories about current events. Kind of surprised he deleted it, though I guess he enjoys trolling and this whole game of saying something then backing out of it more than espousing lasting far right rhetoric and being a true MAGA.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xakura posted:

He's not trolling, he's just dumb, and sometimes he gets enough pushback to be shamed

It could always be both. My impression of Elon Musk is like that one South Park episode with Kyle's dad after dark, only Elon doesn't do his trolling anonymously and he loves engaging in it more than just about any public figure I've ever seen besides Donald Trump and MAGA Republicans. He seems to have gone deep into far right conspiracy theory poo poo over the last few years though and made that a part of his identity and belief system. Can't wait for the lawsuits to start flying and the responsible countries in the EU to put him on notice wrt Twitter as well. I believe several companies with high profile ad buys on the site have several trigger situations in place to pull their money and unbanning Donald Trump is one of them and likely spreading disinformation and lies out of control is another. It's not even that he's being lax about it in only 2 days either like was the fear, he's outright pushing the disinformation for shits and giggles like everyone familiar with his day to day antics could have expected. It's going to be a constant game with him too over the coming months I imagine where he constantly tweets far right conspiracy poo poo about a recent event resulting from the intense political polarization in the U.S and then retracts it and does his usual whole "durr hurr hurr everthing's a joke what who me?" bullshit.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

(died badly (like a dog))

edit: drat, clicked the tweet and he beat me to it
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1587559537111801856

This is some premium post modern satire. I have few doubts this is the best thread on twitter right now

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 2, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Some people in this thread reminding me of how anime has oddly become an endemic part of Twitter culture for a lot of younger people and influencers nowadays (at least the memes) and vice versa. That whole industry would look vastly different today were it not for various Japanese anime production committees taking advantage of Twitter trending algorithms to make sure people are watching, purchasing and memeing about the things they want them to be at the time they want them to be. I tend to agree that industry cannot survive the same way without it and their "retweet this thing 40K times to market our product for us and give the all important impression its culturally important so more people buy the product and you can maybe win some free stuff" campaigns.

It was kind of in significant year on year decline before Twitter took off by all impressions I've gotten. It'd still survive probably without it, but it'd probably revert to a wild west higher risk market of potential fans choosing their anime content in a vaccuum as opposed to how it comes across nowadays with producers shaping and choosing their audience and what trends. Its probably one of the rare examples out there of twitter being crucially responsible for marketing efforts for something and maintaining a certain market status quo.

Marketers could also turn even more to streamer influencers and Vtubers I suppose that get the bulk of their traffic through streaming sites anyway.

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 5, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wendigee posted:

:sickos:

Please kill anime Leon

Kill the stupid exploitative pyramid scheme that is the production committee system but leave anime alone Elon

Kale
May 14, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

It really is amazing how many Dril tweets he's embodied since taking over.

I was kind of thinking the same thing today

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590755506112823296

Super love it when I offer a lovely product and people tell me about my bad ideas. Hilarious!!!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Its all just one big joke you see, all just a joke.

Kale
May 14, 2010

How far is Elon from pointing a gun at an employee and demanding an employee hop inside of a model rocket he built or else?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593494261038649344?s=20&t=zDgcaIfwZYPZAJSpg12ZBg

this poo poo is so lame I can't even handle it, he absolutely sickens me

His absolutely childlike zoomer sense of humor despite being a grown rear end man completely reminds me of someone I know to a disturbing degree. It's the stance that absolutely everything is some ironic joke or meme despite an actually serious situation that requires serious sober thought or communication and/or just the total refusal to engage with someone without throwing out shitposts and bad jokes that is eerily similar to this person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzdSPhcMUo Like this is how I imagine it is trying to talk to him in person even when you need him to sign off on something or actually shut up and listen.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 18, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Rahul Ligma joke was funny for a hot minute and it makes sense he needs to drag it for as long as possible

Yeah something about having manchild zoomer humor as an adult apparently requires you to constantly retell the same joke over and over again. Maybe he thinks he can just troll his way through 80% of his staff quitting I don't know. It's another thing that uncomfortably reminds me of someone I know though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

CBD Corndog posted:

Please, he has no sense of humour and couldn’t make an original joke if his life depended on it.

This is what he thinks other people find funny and he’s mimicking it, it’s why every image macro he posts is stolen. He doesn’t know why people like ligma jokes, but he’s seen people laughing at them.

His continued approach of just trying to troll and shitpost his way through all the companies problems certainly shows a stubborn dedication I'll say that much. I was legit wondering last night if this is actually how he runs Tesla as well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

They still post the 2016 crying lib meme, holy poo poo you morons haven't had a victory in 6 loving years

*Get's utterly blown the gently caress out in Midterms, a time when the opposition party is supposed to sweep* "Ha Woke is the minority!" :bravo:

That's like a pivotal part of right wing shitposting meme culture. They rarely get new material or move on from things, it's part of the trolling I assume.

Kale
May 14, 2010

PederP posted:

I'd caution those eagerly awaiting a spectacular technical collapse to temper expectations. Engineers and developers can keep a sinking ship platform afloat and mostly functional for a very long time. It might be unstable, buggy, non-secure, non-profitable and even quite publicly on fire - but still it can keep chugging along relatively functional. So while a mass departure of staff will certainly be crippling and cause numerous very severe problems - my experience with complex software systems and the organizations working on them - is that a true collapse is not likely to happen.

Do I think Twitter is going to be a good platform from now on? Absolutely not. But neither do I think there is much chance of the lights going out permanently. There will be bugs and downtime. There will be serious problems and much anger from users and stakeholders. But I think it will survive and eventually stabilize as a profitable and stable platform. I don't think Elon will recoup the full 44 billion - on the contrary, I think he will burn more to keep it afloat (indirectly, but still). I also think there will be new owners before the eventual true rebirth and stabilization. I'm sure it will stay big in Japan.

So many media businesses would crash in Japan in a matter of weeks or months probably if it went down its so pivotal to stealth marketing and what not. Like its absolutely pivotal to maintaining it all the way its setup nowadays to rely on trending associations and what not to make sure people know what to buy and poo poo. Consumer's there put a tremendous amount of weight on things that trend there from what I've been able to tell when it comes to media to purchase

Kale
May 14, 2010

I couldn't even tell if that was a fake tweet or not the guy has been leaning further and further into far right culture war poo poo as the year has worn on. Yeah though the fact that it seemed legit angry rather than ironically jokey and dog whistle like isn't exactly his public style.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Trump hasn't posted yet, but I have no idea what the appeal of other unbanned shitbirds like Jordan Peterson and Andrew Tate is even supposed to be even for their target audiences of mediocre white men. Just looks like a whole lot of totally incoherent rambling nonsense with no apparent themes to me. I guess there's some whole cult of personality you're supposed to be involved in and that's the entire appeal of these dudes at this stage much like with Trump, I really don't know. I'm told they're supposed to be right wing and misogynist, but I'm more just getting a basic rambling narcissist nut job vibe off of all of these people's posting much like Elon and back in the day Trump. Andrew Tate in particular literally just seems to insist he's "Top G" constantly as a one liner and what looks like bots circle jerking some mantra about him in the comments and concurring that he's "Top G". Like that really seems to be all that's going on there. Also again Trump hasn't even posted on twitter yet so......

Honestly it looks to me like they're all just having one giant meltdown on twitter in absence of context for their ramblings.

Kale
May 14, 2010

That weird pornographic Temptation of Christ meme or whatever is going on their with Elon is the saddest loving poo poo yet entirely predictable. He's basically the Stewart character from MadTV going "Look what I can do" and then proceeding to do the tweet equivalent of that weird flailing hop that usually followed.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah it was pretty obvious immediately that video had nothing to do with the context of the tweet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The fact that he has to go out and try to say this poo poo. I don't know it's looked like a far right circle jerk going on for a while their Elon. :lol:

Super duper double promise this isn't the thing it looks like and clearly is - Your Bestest Pal Elon :tearsofjoy:

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 22, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Feels like every time I've looked at this page Elon has made a new single word reply to some new far right icon. Now we seem to be leaning further into all out lovely culture wars which are the absolute worst thing in modern times and somehow about to given even further amplified then they are are. Surprised web haven't gotten any lovely conspiracy theory opinions about the recent mass shootings from Elon.

I guess the far right is getting yet another safe space on the internet. Good thing I knew it was a good idea over a decade ago never to sign up for twitter.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 23, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

It me or is the ratio of right wing circle jerking too "what a loving weirdo" replies to Elons trolling on twitter threads skewing more and more to the former by the shitpost? Like at this point I'm guessing hes planning to fund the site through right wing grift

Kale
May 14, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

So I guess Twitter is not going to fall apart under its own weight? :ohdear:

Their PR and communications department for any serious business looking to do serious business with the company is literally just Elons shitposting atm.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Taeke posted:

As much as I adore the genre, scifi attracts the worst people and it's no surprise that nft/crypto bros love the genre. You just gotta accept that 95% of the community is poo poo. The biggest authors are poo poo. Always have been. The Starship Troopers movie isn't poo poo because Verhoeven recognized the source material for what it was and turned it into a satire. Asimov was a sex creep. You can go on and on.

Same with fantasy. It's both wish fulfillment so it attracts the worst people. Authors like Banks and Le Guin are drowned out by those catering to the worst of humanity.
Unfortunately finding the same for other hobbies I used to enjoy more too like anime and gaming. Just seems to attract a lot of shitbags and what I call "censorship bros" that have the impression its supposed to all be specifically for chuddy misogynistists and that's the only context they can view it through

Kale
May 14, 2010

The guys very clearly getting lots of bot replies. I see the same copypasta posts in every one of his shitposts multiple times. Reminds me of classic Trump account circa 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/colourmeamused_/status/1596116629355892736
Complaining about using the death of a child for gain using your own child as example, and then being called out like this is brutal. A normal person would dissapear off the face of the earth after this, I'm sure Elon will just post "oopsies 🤣" and post a meme about abortions or something

Yeah he's really got the whole Trump thing down with the just constant wanton outright lying. This loving absolute guy man

Kale
May 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao it really is just performative masculinity in a field where results speak for themselves. Good loving luck buddy.

Is this right wing grievance filled enough for Elon to make him the new CEO yet? Does he need to pass the interview with group interview with Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Tate and Catturd2 first?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crymetimeboys posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596083744728928257?s=46&t=nQJBcVqkLudmyzj-Y9pyKg

Elon's lack of conventional directional sense must be why Teslas are so accident-prone.

But I thought this wasn't a right wing takeover of twitter? Elon? He legit seems more interested in right wing bullshit right now than running a successful company with real growth potential.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I personally want to see how he is going to implement the system where you pay money to dm and harass celebrities

I'm assuming Democratic politicians and organizations like the NAACP, Anti-Defamation League and other official accounts for organizations deemed too "woke" by Elon. I assume AOC just gets the bulk of it.

Ratjaculation posted:

Musk posting "I'm neither left nor right" whilst installing the arbeit macht frei sign above the Twitter office entrance

He more or less already did this with his Stay Work shirt joke. Right Wing think remains just so utterly alien too me. Sure I love to work for peanuts or even for free to enrich some loud mouthed rear end in a top hat that says things I agree with because I'm just functionally an empty vessel for a lovely reactionary ideology about preventing other people from living their lives the way they want. Sign me up Elon!

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 25, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Right wing art lol. Just a neverending stream of Seal Team DVDs starring wrestlers and that one comic starring a big tiddied superhero wearing a Confederate flag for a mask shooting antifas.

I thought female super heroes are bad and ruining movies and what not because any movie with a prominent female super hero leading the charge is automatically terrible writing forced onto the masses by "woke activist SJW groomer LGBT+ writers in Hollywood" and everyone should boycott and harass the actors in those movies right now. Isn't this like a beloved if not sacred right wing talking point. Also something something Star Wars.

Granted I think there is supposed to be some sort of exception in right wing nerd circles if they are depicted as conventionally attractive and their dialogue and character development is kept to an absolute minimum and they have next to no impact on the course of events. Then it's a triumphant victory against "SJW Woke Activist groups in L.A" forcing women into leading roles in movies against "our will" or some such rhetoric. Can't wait for Elon to really get into a movie chat cirle jerk with his right wing buddies. I assume that's coming soon since he just asked his flock what they think about the culture war. We haven't even gotten started with his full on bullshit I figure. It's like he's decided gently caress it if Trump won't come back he'll just complete his transition into the role of the Trump character for twitter that says something inflammatory and baiting towards anyone left of Ted Cruz or the Oath Keepers every single day.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

goatface posted:

As long as she knows that she's worse than the men and wears a revealing enough outfit, it's fine.

Yeah I've gathered this is how it works. I've also noticed right wingers seem to have been trying to co-opt and infiltrate anime circles insisting it's all about the women in tight or skimping clothing and claiming that Japan has "escaped the woke culture sweeping America and ruining OUR pop culture" while casually ignoring the whole anime/manga industries near constant refrain on the themes of the power of friendship, understanding, letting people be themselves and often cloyingly cutesy decidingly not masculine undertones. I guess a lot of them just saw R-18 fanart on twitter, never actually bothered to watch/read any media from Japan and decided yep that's what this is all about, let's use it for our talking points and rhetoric. Similarly I don't think they actually watch the movies they lose their poo poo over as evidence of "wokeism" ruining movies. I could come up with a thousand reasons why the new Star Wars movies kind of suck dicks that have nothing to do with gender roles, diversity or any of the other bullshit that gets spewed by Chuds.