Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Nothing says brand identity quite like saying you're going to be constantly changing your logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

"I was the only PC among a bunch of NPCs!"

This is literally 16 year old 4chan edgelord poo poo.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

tbf to eating McD. if I was traveling in the world and wanted a comfort food for my micro biome in my gut, I can say that McD's industrial food science makes the same product everywhere in the world.

Sorry but this just isn't the case. Here's an infographic showing just how much the Big Mac alone varies from country to country: https://www.amica-international.co.uk/blog/around-the-world-in-20-big-macs

This isn't even getting into how different fries can be prepared from country to country and not mentioning country-specific menu items.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

It's the car I made in Saints Row 3 and then immediately never used.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

MrMojok posted:

What is it about some people that makes them want to ride in a car that drives itself?

The entire concept is so alien and abhorrent to me.

Is there some kind of age point at which you decide “yah, I’m down with that.” ??

Maybe not an upper age range, but a lower one?

I’m in my fifties and not only do I not want that ever, I am deeply distrustful and suspicious of anyone who does.

Getting into a car is by far the most dangerous activity that the average American engages in every day. The statistical risks of human-operated vehicles are staggering--100 Americans die and 7,500 are injured every single day from motor vehicle crashes. The statistical likelihood of being in such an accident increases significantly with drinking (as has been mentioned) but also with distracted driving or driving while tired. A tired or distracted driver is, on average, as dangerous as a drunk one.

You may protest that you do not do these things. You're a perfect driver--you've never even had a fender bender. But I ask how many bad drivers do you see every single day? I can tell you as someone who did a lot of driving recently there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. These people are unsafe and they make you less safe. Even a perfect human driver cannot react to every possible scenario.

We are on the cusp of having the technology to drastically reduce the dangers of driving. Non-Tesla autonomous driving systems such as Waymo, Pony, etc. are already likely safer drivers than humans on average in many scenarios. These systems do not get distracted or tired. They don't hesitate in uncertain situations. Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers.

Getting these systems into cars will save lives. Every drunk, tired, or distracted driver they remove from the road is a statistical hazard averted.

And yes these systems are not perfect. I know there are lots of edge cases where you can confuse the cars using a traffic cone placed directly in front of it and there are all sorts of questions around legal liability when one of these systems does in fact cause an accident which will still happen. These are things we can solve though.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I mean the mask was off before but jesus christ he's openly endorsing pizzagate now? There's no coming back from that sort of brain rot.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Jorp using AI as "research assistants" would explain why his pseudoacademic writing has been even more nonsensical than usual in recent years.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

The opening screen alone in those games is enough to give those manchildren a stroke.

No one show this to the Starfield pronouns eggman. He will have to go to the hospital.

On second thought, please do.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

Those are graphics mock ups they do to fool people into thinking the “ai” works . The car doesn’t see that. Cars don’t see.

Tesla does the same thing.

NB: I didn’t click on the YouTube

See this is the thing that infuriates me about Tesla's "full self driving" or whatever they call it. It's just completely poisoned any sort of discussion of actual self-driving systems that will actually save lives.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

I don’t see how that is remotely possible ever but ok . I do see your point though that Tesla is so bad every other AI grift has to work from under teslas shadow . That is true

I wrote this in this very thread in October:

Rosalind posted:

Getting into a car is by far the most dangerous activity that the average American engages in every day. The statistical risks of human-operated vehicles are staggering--100 Americans die and 7,500 are injured every single day from motor vehicle crashes. The statistical likelihood of being in such an accident increases significantly with drinking (as has been mentioned) but also with distracted driving or driving while tired. A tired or distracted driver is, on average, as dangerous as a drunk one.

You may protest that you do not do these things. You're a perfect driver--you've never even had a fender bender. But I ask how many bad drivers do you see every single day? I can tell you as someone who did a lot of driving recently there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. These people are unsafe and they make you less safe. Even a perfect human driver cannot react to every possible scenario.

We are on the cusp of having the technology to drastically reduce the dangers of driving. Non-Tesla autonomous driving systems such as Waymo, Pony, etc. are already likely safer drivers than humans on average in many scenarios. These systems do not get distracted or tired. They don't hesitate in uncertain situations. Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers.

Getting these systems into cars will save lives. Every drunk, tired, or distracted driver they remove from the road is a statistical hazard averted.

And yes these systems are not perfect. I know there are lots of edge cases where you can confuse the cars using a traffic cone placed directly in front of it and there are all sorts of questions around legal liability when one of these systems does in fact cause an accident which will still happen. These are things we can solve though.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

MunchE posted:

The average human driver gets in an accident once every 18 years. Basically every adult in our society operates a motor vehicle daily and the vast majority of them do so without incident. People are pretty remarkably good at navigating all sorts of complicated inputs and translating that into operating a car safely.

You buying yourself a self driving car that'll drive home for you when you're drunk is 20 years out, if ever

Regardless of whether traffic incidents are rare on the individual level, the argument for the technology on a population level is clear. Traffic collisions are one of the leading causes of loss of disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) due to premature mortality in the United States. If we have a technology that can reduce traffic fatalities and injuries, then we absolutely should use it.

I never said anything about purchasing a self driving car. I agree that personal ownership of a self driving vehicle is several years off at least. However, self driving vehicles are already operating as taxis in SF and their ridership has increased markedly since the program started. The program is being rolled out to other cities.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Kramjacks posted:

The only way to solve the problem of too many traffic accidents is to have less traffic. The solution already exists, it's busses and trains and poo poo, but that doesn't appeal to people who think they are the main character and absolutely need to have their own private transportation.

I agree with the sentiment but I am a pragmatist. If we have a technology that saves lives, we should use that technology to save lives. We shouldn't just sit here idly while we hope society will suddenly see the error in their ways and reorganize the entire American way of life around public transit (as much as that would be better for us).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

There is no divorce on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

If I had Musk money, I would be funding pure-science initatives with the end goal of robotically dismantling Mercury to make a Dyson swarm. Get a 200-year plan in place to harvest 0.5-1% of the sun's energy- that energy surplus is what can REALLY ensure humanity's long term survival. That's enough energy to make terraformation of Mars/Venus feasible, not to mention global post-scarcity.

"Musk with a robotic swarm" is just Ted Faro and we all know how that turns out.