Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

kazil posted:

The wheel doesn't even fit

Is this a screenshot from Doom 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wait is it even street legal if it hasn’t been fully crash tested?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sestze posted:

That sort of hardcoded safety valve exists for intimacy as well. As someone mentioned earlier, Replika had to stop the sexytimes portion of their AI, and a lot of people got burnt by that. I believe they shut off the intimacy features on Valentine's Day in 2023, which twisted the knife further. If you build your own OpenAI it won't try to gently caress you, no matter how much you try to flirt with it (generation of sexual content is against the OpenAI ToU). Still, you can still make it do somewhat unhealthy things like use old conversations with your ex to make a digital facsimile of them that you talk to when you're sad/lonely. Sarah Z has a neat video about The Rise and Fall of Replika that has some more examples and actually tried out using Replika as a boyfriend.

I'm pretty online but this thread is the first time I've heard of Replika. The Sarah Z video is an interesting summary, thanks for recommending it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haven't heard Musk talk about his AI lately. Is he just going to memory hole it until the engineers can hard code it to say the N word?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Musk Xmas special: A cold bologna sandwich eaten in a dark office at the Twitter HQ, illuminated only by the warm glow of a monitor with Diablo 4 running on it.

Hey now, it might not be that depressing. There might be some Taco Bell leftovers from the holiday party in the fridge.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kale posted:

Also it's funny that Elon is apparently such a huge advocate of free speech, but is absolutely inexplicably against open borders, regulated migration between nations, globalization (this one doesn't even make sense and he obviously isn't since he has factories overseas), right to form labor unions to collectively bargain and negotiate with employers on behalf of workers, and a lot of things that feel like they belong in similar conversations as the right to freedom of speech and expression.

He doesn't know or care what free speech actually means, he only has a cartoonish college Republican edgelord view of it where you can get away with saying racial slurs just to be obnoxious.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Quoting this again because it's so funny

smoobles posted:

2 minute video of Tesla fanboy bragging about his Model 3's self driving, while the Model 3 tries to violently kill him and his passenger

https://twitter.com/elaifresh/status/1727889381309239731?t=xOHOkLSql0ym0K0ayVnZ4g&s=19

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

i like how the muskrat pads out the tesla list all the stuff that cars do.

"musk himself does rubber tire chemistry while he personally brews beer and blows the glass"

Oh god I forgot about the expensive cybertruck beer that was undrinkable

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

FoolyCharged posted:

And he's working really hard at ruining its value. Fortunately for him, the world doesn't seem to care that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

quote:

At several investor events in the past, Musk has shown demonstrations of Tesla robotics, first with what many took to be a human being in a robot suit but more latterly with robots that appear to be actual robots. Previously, the company's main experience with robotics involved Musk's claims that the Tesla production line would be an "alien dreadnought" which moved too fast for the human eye to see. This pronouncement, like many of Musk's, did not come to pass—in 2018, he reversed his stance, saying that "Humans are underrated."

lol what

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

E the Shaggy posted:

Dude must have drank the Kool-Aid that "DEMOCRATS ARE THE REAL RACISTS!!!" Imagine thinking a Hindu named Ramaswamy was going to be the GOP frontrunner.

quote:

Iowa voter on Ramaswamy: "I’m not being prejudiced, guys, but I don’t like his name. I don’t like where he came from. After 9/11, I still harbor a lot of hard feelings."

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

VegasGoat posted:

Lol that guy was L.A. Beast but I’m guessing you knew that. Just posting context for others. I haven’t eaten gummi bears since that gummi bear video.

The light bulbs one really sticks in my head in an unpleasant way.

That said, he seems way more charming and authentic than most other youtubers.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

morningdrew posted:

I learned who Mr Beast was by browsing Door Dash one night and seeing "Mr. Beast Burger" and thinking "wtf is this that moved into the plaza next to Applebee's" and I also learned about virtual kitchens that day

What’s a virtual kitchen? Is that like GarfieldEATS?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Play posted:

Elin acting like he knows every tiny thing about his company's rockets and cars is hilarious. He doesn't know jack poo poo. He's not a scientist. He's not an engineer. He's not even particularly educated. He's just pretending because it makes him feel big to berate people for not knowing poo poo he himself does not know.

Also lol at his brother basically being his paid live in simp and being convinced that living like elon is the pinnacle of life

It's funny how blatantly obvious it is that he doesn't have any technical knowledge (or much knowledge in general). The micron precision thing for the panel gaps was hilarious--there are freshmen engineering students with a better grasp of mechanical tolerance.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

in the last week it's just absolutely flooded Twitter thanks to bots and chuds deciding to make Swift culture war enemy #1 for some reason

There's a bunch of speculation that she's going to endorse Biden, so they need to try to destroy her reputation before then.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That Ben shapiro rap is #1 on iTunes lmao what

We have a Spotify account for our business, and when I clicked on the "Popular" list, the top entry was a Joe Rogan interview with Elon Musk :barf:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yacc had to testify before congress today (after receiving a subpoena). Sounds like Facebook and Tiktok were the real punching bags, but lol:

quote:

Linda Yaccarino has attempted to differentiate her role as chief executive at X from the previous leadership at Twitter. She noted that X sends far more reports to a national tip line than Twitter did, and just called X a “14-month-old company,” distancing it from its 16 years as a top social network.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I thought the number bot accounts were his justification for trying to wiggle out of the twitter purchase

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to make a domed underwater city?

There's cool science stuff, and slightly less cool resource extraction stuff to do in outer space, worst case, you can enjoy some amazing views of various celestial bodies. I've lived underwater, it sucks, there's nothing to do or really see, a domed underwater city wouldn't help with resource extraction at all, there's no point and almost no one would voluntarily live there.

I'd be in favor of this if talking like Jar Jar Binks was mandatory for all residents.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I can't think of a single "X creator" other than Alex Jones, only because he was posted earlier in this thread.

LifeSunDeath posted:

so people who drive teslas are all just racists at this point right?

I see a lot of them in the upper-class liberal suburbs around here. So, yes.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tried logging in to twitter. I'm getting followed by an endless stream of obvious bot accounts. I guess there's zero incentive for them to cut down on bot activity since it's the only viable way to boost their engagement metrics.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, surprising nobody, he's just mad at OpenAI because he's not running the show.

quote:

When Mr. Musk and the other OpenAI founders agreed to create a for-profit company, Mr. Musk said he wanted a majority of the equity in the company, initial board control and to be the chief executive, OpenAI said. Amid the discussions, he withheld funding from the nonprofit, OpenAI said.

The other founders could not agree to his terms because they believed that giving one person absolute control of the organization went against its mission, OpenAI said. Mr. Musk then suggested that OpenAI be attached to his electric car company Tesla, according to another email included in the blog post.

“Tesla is the only path that could even hope to hold a candle to Google. Even then, the probability of being a counterweight to Google is small. It just isn’t zero,” the email read.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Willatron posted:

This thing takes fender benders worse than my 2011 Elantra.

They designed it for bullets and arrows. Bumps and fingerprints were unforseen, probably not covered by the warranty

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

kazil posted:

NERV BIOSHOCK

It drives me crazy how superficial his understanding is of...absolutely everything. If you're a billionaire, you could pay the equivalent of a research grant to receive tutoring from subject matter experts in any field. But I guess your net worth being a proxy for your superiority is too seductive of an idea.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Vampire Panties posted:

I genuinely don't understand why they think Elon would care, or do anything at all. Pop stars like Taylor Swift have semi-anonymously dropped money in fans accounts for genuine life emergencies, but AFAIK he's never done poo poo for the common man.

This is especially funny because this article just came out about how his charitable foundation is just a big tax dodge:

quote:

Unlike Bill Gates, who has deployed his fortune in an effort to improve health care across Africa, or Walmart’s Walton family, which has spurred change in the American education system, Mr. Musk’s philanthropy has been haphazard and largely self-serving — making him eligible for enormous tax breaks and helping his businesses.

The foundation that houses the money has failed in recent years to give away the bare minimum required by law to justify the tax break, exposing it to the risk of having to pay the government a substantial financial penalty.

Mr. Musk has not hired any staff for his foundation, tax filings show. Its billions are handled by a board that consists of himself and two volunteers, one of whom reports putting in so little time that it averages out to six minutes per week.

The Musk Foundation’s website initially included slick animations, featuring pictures of satellite dishes and children in classrooms, while encouraging people to apply for grants. By 2005, however, it was wiped clean, replaced by plain black text stating that the foundation was interested in “science education, pediatric health and clean energy.”

It listed no contact information. It still does not.

By September 2014, Forbes estimated that Mr. Musk’s net worth was more than $10 billion, driven up by the value of his holdings of Tesla stock. But he gave little to his own charity. That year, tax filings show, his foundation had $40,121 in the bank.

That fit with Mr. Musk’s public stance on philanthropy. His for-profit companies, he said, were his way of changing the world.

“Tesla has done more to help the environment than all other companies combined,” he said last year at The New York Times’s DealBook conference. “As a leader of the company, I’ve done more for the environment than any single human on earth.”

Mr. Musk, instead, used his small foundation to help groups tied to him personally, including a food charity run by his brother and a “Temple of Whollyness” that was set on fire at the 2013 Burning Man festival, an annual event that he often attends.

He also founded his own nonprofit school called Ad Astra — Latin for “to the stars” — to explore new ways to teach math and science.

But that school, too, would serve a personal purpose for Mr. Musk. In its first year of operation out of his home in the Bel-Air neighborhood of Los Angeles, five of Ad Astra’s 14 students were his own children.

“Kindness and eagerness to learn (and parents that worked at SpaceX) were the only criteria for admission,” wrote Joshua Dahn, the initial head of the school.

Two former SpaceX executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, recalled that Ad Astra was sometimes discussed as a perk for the children of executives, though it was understood to be near impossible for the offspring of rank-and-file employees to gain admission.

Karen Williams Weaver, a Democrat who was mayor of Flint at the time, said the city asked Mr. Musk to focus initially on helping schools. The Musk Foundation donated about $1 million to schools, paying to install water filters and buy laptops for students. It also gave $125,000 to a charity associated with Ms. Copeny that aimed to help Flint children.

Flint asked for much more.

It sent Mr. Musk a four-page letter, asking him to fund new water infrastructure and wide-scale pipe replacements in homes. It also asked Mr. Musk to open a research office or manufacturing facility in the city.

Few of those wishes came true. Tesla sent a corporate development executive, who offered rides around the city hall parking lot in a company vehicle, and Mr. Musk briefly considered placing a self-driving artificial intelligence facility in the city, according to communications obtained by The Times.

In October of that year, Mr. Musk had publicly flirted with the idea of a charitable mega-gift. On Twitter, he wrote that if the United Nations World Food Program could describe how it would spend the money, he would sell Tesla stock and give the program $6 billion.

The U.N. program replied with a plan, but Mr. Musk gave nothing. Instead, Mr. Musk gave to his own foundation: five million Tesla shares, worth $5.7 billion at the time.

The gift tripled the Musk Foundation’s assets and put it among the 20 largest foundations in the country. Tax experts said it could have saved Mr. Musk more than $2 billion off his tax bill.

More donations from Mr. Musk meant more responsibility for his foundation. Tax law requires all foundations to give away 5 percent of their assets every year, so the Musk Foundation was expected to dole out hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

The foundation did not add paid staff to meet that new benchmark. The only recorded change was a tiny one: Matilda Simon, one of Mr. Musk’s family-office employees, who also serves as one of the foundation’s three volunteer board members, increased her workload from 0 hours to 0.1 hours, or six minutes a week, according to tax filings.

Starting in late 2020, Mr. Musk began to shift his business operations from California to Texas, and his charities followed.

The Ad Astra School, which had educated some SpaceX employees’ children, moved to a location near the company’s launch site in South Texas. At first, it seemed to be open to the public, according to an archived version of its website from last year.

But that website disappeared. And the Ad Astra campus was placed behind the security gates of a SpaceX-owned compound. At the campus today, there is no sign of a school, only a security guard in a pickup truck and signs that say “Private Property. No Trespassing.”

The foundation also paid to fix up Brownsville’s dusty downtown. The result was to provide more upscale restaurants — like Le Rêve, Brownsville’s first French bistro — at a time when Mr. Musk was trying to entice employees to move there.

Without any staff to handle the South Texas donations, Mr. Musk deputized Igor Kurganov — a friend and former professional poker player who was never listed as an employee of the foundation — as a liaison. Mr. Kurganov often drilled local officials on the smallest details, like the color of the lights on a Christmas display paid for by the foundation: “‘cool white’ strikes me as suboptimal.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/10/us/elon-musk-charity.html

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Like Seriously, or just anything on rails. It's hard to think of a worse solution for "how do you get a large number of people through a tunnel you just built, from one destination to another?".

It's so obvious musk scammed them, and then they just go a head and hire him again for more tunnels. I don't know much about the Vegas government but my god it must be so incredibly garbage.

They built a monorail in the city but they deliberately didn't connect it to the airport.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The leadership award that Ruth Bader Ginsburg founded is getting awarded to...Rupert Murdoch and Elon Musk.

quote:

The Opperman Foundation declined to comment on the pushback. But in announcing its decision to recognize both men and women — until this year, the honor was called the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award — it said it sought to uphold the value of gender equality.

“Justice Ginsburg fought not only for women but for everyone,” Julie Opperman, the chairwoman of the foundation, said in a statement. “Going forward, to embrace the fullness of Justice Ginsburg’s legacy, we honor both women and men who have changed the world by doing what they do best.”

The woke mind virus was unfairly holding back awards from wealthy white men.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, completely baffling choices. Her kids are pissed.

quote:

But this year, four of the recipients are men, including Elon Musk, the tech entrepreneur who frequently lobs tirades at perceived critics; Rupert Murdoch, the business magnate whose empire gave rise to conservative media; and Michael Milken, the face of corporate greed in the 1980s who served nearly two years in prison. It has prompted family members and close colleagues of Justice Ginsburg to demand that her name be removed from the honor, commonly called the R.B.G. Award.

In a statement, her daughter, Jane C. Ginsburg, a law professor at Columbia University, said the choice of winners this year was “an affront to the memory of our mother.”

“The justice’s family wish to make clear that they do not support using their mother’s name to celebrate this year’s slate of awardees, and that the justice’s family has no affiliation with and does not endorse these awards,” Ms. Ginsburg said.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Jesus Christ this guy

This is a phenomenally stupid thing to say, even for Elon Musk

You can drop in any other noun and it makes the same amount of sense.

A future watermelon, much larger and more advanced, will travel to other star systems.
A future Oscar Meyer Weinermobile, much larger and more advanced, will travel to other star systems.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Don't know when this came up, but apparently Jane Goodall doesn't like Musk.

quote:

One of the few people who has criticized me recently was Elon Musk. He was critical of what I always say about human population growth as one of the things that we have to think about when we want to protect the planet for future generations. I invented “Voluntary Population Optimization.” Could you criticize that? Voluntary? And optimizing? I talked about V.P.O. and I never got heckled, I never got any problem.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

what's the title about

was this elon posting something desperately lonely or is this about Trump begging his wife to come home for Valentine's Day

e:f,b ^

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Reminds me of this one

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

kazil posted:

lol their kids have no chance

If you [do something stupid], it will be done in [time I pulled out of my rear end].

Also there must be a FREE MARKET INCENTIVE for it to be "safe."

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Who is still working at Twitter? I live in a relatively tech-heavy city and it's hilarious how a job at Facebook now sounds embarrassing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

shyduck posted:

This guy works for X. Here's a post from April Fools. They post cringe like this and also dickride

The bridge collapsed, let's almost immediately make it about Elon, I hope he sees this

And this is just vomit

Goddamn, what a wasteland of a site. :barf:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

kazil posted:

also him and the boys are all high fiving each other about users being upset at getting the blue check forced on them

What is the rationale behind this? Are they just trying to make the blue checks more abundant so people feel like they should pay for them?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

Congrats you are now getting twice the tweets on your screen!

Engagement numbers are up 100% on X, the everything app!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

priznat posted:

I would say it is actually engineered extremely well but subject to the constraints of a design and requirements that are, by and large, dumb as gently caress.

The Juicero of cars

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

priznat posted:

In my area tesla model 3/Y have overtaken the Toyota Corolla/Camry as The Car With The Clueless Drivers. Anytime one is in my vicinity I’m on guard for the driver to do something dumb. It’s usually not any bazinga just someone with a real bad grasp of driving fundamentals.

E: that’s probably without FSD but it may be difficult to tell

They seem to be the most often wrecked vehicles I’ve seen lately—one with its front crumpled in from driving into the highway median, and another with similar damage getting towed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

The problem is Tesla isn't refocusing anything, they're just cutting staff because their revenue is in decline and they have no plan B.

Excuse me, they’re an automation company now

*robot awkwardly lifts one box*