Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't see anything in your post to complain about op, all of it is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maybe you can kill some more beloved alumni! We already did that last summer.

:drat:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins are surely the greatest 7 seed of all time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You coulda waited for a playoff thread to exist before you closed the Great February N/V thread, just sayin'

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The assassination of Guy LeFleur by the coward Marc Bergevin

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Too bad, it would have been spectacular to see Columbus land Bedard with Chicago's pick.

You guys all know the Old Boys Network is going to make it up to Chicago for all this... unpleasantness by rigging the Bedard lottery for them, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Totally worth it for whoever is getting fired and blacklisted tomorrow imo.

e: poo poo that's a photoshop isn't it

Still awesome

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Half the teams in the league make the playoffs so the last couple teams to make it having a slightly negative goal differential is probably common?

I just checked a few random seasons and nope it's actually really rare. The NHL has always been bottom heavy I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

yeah but c'mon it's the Stars, when have they ever hotgoalied into a Finals run out of nowhere

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A front office so inept that they got fleeced by the Buffalo Sabres, while Kucheroving their best player for the privilege and missing the playoffs by a point.

I can't imagine how in the hell anyone in the front office can survive this glorious debacle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tuch is better than Eichel right now. I'd say he will probably always be better than Eichel, but playing for the Sabers broke Eichel and it'll break Tuch too, soon enough.

Cartoon Man posted:

Is it still former Caps GM George McPhee running the show?

He's the PHO I think

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Over the 33 games he played yes. Way down the list overall with 22 points.

I don't think it's controversial to suggest you'd rather have had Tuch than Eichel the past few months with Eichel still off the pace and avoiding contact like the plague. It's pretty much Phil Kessel Playing Center at this point and that's still pretty good but not what you're hoping for when you give up Tuch and tank your season Kucheroving your captain to game the cap for it. Placing a gigantic loving bet on Eichel's health and willingness to play a contract sport going forward is in character for Vegas at least.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Brind'Amour hung around Carolina for a decade waiting for his chance to coach, I can't imagine he's going anywhere. But a team like VHK (or Toronto) should give him a blank check if they get the chance.

IIRC Brind'Amour's the only active coach in sports with a statue of himself outside his team's home arena (from when he lifted the Cup as a player/captain)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm guessing several teams probably logged their highest goals scored and goals allowed since 2001 this year?

Looking over Jackets history, they have finished higher than 4th only twice ever: 2005-06 (3rd, didn't make the playoffs) and 2016-17 (3rd, crushed in the first round).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Vegas is 100% gonna sign him

Yyyyyyyep.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Q won't go to the Jets unless he has no other NHL options, but he will have several.

Edmonton will also try to hire him but see above. It'll probably be Vegas.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So does Maurice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Being willing to live in Winnipeg has a lot of value.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True, they've just given up on life, which for Ruff is progress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Man the Flyers should hire him last week.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No those are just the only two guys desperate enough for one more NHL head coach gig that they picked up the phone when Winnipeg called.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's so hard to get competent help these days, I feel for him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An aging, overpaid offense-first player who's a raging rear end in a top hat and not as good or as important as he delusionally thinks he is.... why, he sounds like an Edmonton Oiler already.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's Boudreau that has the option though, isn't it? The tweet on the last page isn't super clear but I took away from it that JR doesn't really want him back and is hoping someone else hires him so he doesn't have to fire him and pay three coaches next year/deal with the PR headache. Also possible ownership is like "y'know what I think paying two coaches next year is plenty enough" so JR is trying to provoke Boudreau to skedaddle of his own accord so he can hire someone else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bedard is gonna go to Chicago, search your feelings you know it to be true

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They were paying a *lot* of writers, and a fair number of big name writers that were commanding six (maybe in some cases seven) figure salaries. And a much greater number of people involved in the editing and publishing process, most of whom were doubtless poorly paid but it does add up. All that's before executive salaries and perks, which like any other company is where most of the money goes. I would have believed an even higher number for annual operating losses.

Anyway the goal from the very beginning was to get bought out, and mission accomplished.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but unfortunately all the games there will involve the Coyotes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I have a hard time seeing where Trotz is likely to land. Trotz to the Knights should be a loving slam dunk but they're probably too dumb to make it happen. Likewise the Flyers. Yzerman will probably call him but not sure if he wants to take on a rebuilding team at his age or follow Stevie's marching orders. The Devils would be a real interesting fit if they fired Ruff but they didn't and they're stupid so that won't happen. The Maple Leafs should give him a blank loving check but I can't see Shanahan/Dubas doing that, plus he may already have taken another job in the week it will take them to get eliminated and fire Keefe.

Islanders will probably hire Quenneville if the Knights don't.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Man the Panthers would be fuckin' perfect for Trotz but no chance in hell they'll fire Brunette when they won the Presidents and Brunette will probably get the Jack Adams.

Ummagumma posted:

Also, can anyone bank on hiring Quenneville? I thought he had to seek permission directly from Bettman to be re-instated, and while my expectations for this league are very low, I'm not sure that's a slam dunk.

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd say I think it's gonna be Q to the Isles. But Q may be smart enough to realize that while aggressively protecting an active rapist didn't end his career, taking the Islanders job right now probably will.

So yeah it very well might be Babcock.

Like that job is the world's most obvious career killer for a coach. Whoever takes it has to be desperate for any NHL job, or just dumb.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The Panthers going from Panthers hockey to Barry Trotz hockey would be soul crushing

Well yeah I personally prefer they continue to be one of the most entertaining teams in hockey and go out in the first round every year, but I'm not a Panthers fan

...wait a sec, that also describes the team I AM a fan of. Dammit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probably because they're still negotiating with Q and Plan B is to just let DeBoer come back

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koth posted:

He would be a local hero if he came back to coach the Jets. Everyone else seems to want him, so now I'm convinced that he is the ONLY coach for the Jets.

If Trotz actually took the Winnipeg job from among multiple offers you could only assume it's a semiretirement gig to him and he won't really give a poo poo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

It's Steve Yzerman's birthday!

And Lou gave him a really nice present

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just realized that Jim Rutherford shipped Brandon Sutter out of Carolina to Pittsburgh, then went to Pittsburgh and one of the first things he did there was get rid of Sutter; and now he's running the Canucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pissed he got canned because I my wonderful reprieve from his making GBS threads up my hockey games is over

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Avs are probably going to win the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How's that work anyway? Suppose you get the #1 this year then trade it away, does that make you eligible to get the #1 next year? Is the rule that you can't pick #1 twice in a row, or you can't win the lottery twice in a row? I assume it's the latter but I don't know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What happens if the Blackhawks get a top two pick? The prick presumably rolls back to 2023 but did they top 1 protect it in that scenario?

If not then the Blackhawks definitely will not get a top two pick tonight because they are going to get Bedard.