Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
jack eichel is cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
cool moment before the start of the sabres game with malcom subban singing the US national anthem. he spent time with chicago at the start of the season and is still on buffalo's roster, so all the players were loving it

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1520181110772310016

not sure if that's a first or what, but its definitely unique

this is also rick jeanneret's last play-by-play before retirement

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Devils are really keeping Ruff and his staff that are 46-76-16 in 2 years huh? Big "ehh gently caress it" energy.

his abilities as a coach notwithstanding, the fact that the players in NJ don't appear to outwardly hate ruff after two bad seasons is pretty impressive given what he used to be like earlier in his career

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Does it really matter if players on a losing team like their coach? I mean I like Lindy too... He seems like a great guy... but the results are what they are.

it doesn't matter no, but he was extremely confrontational and toxic towards players in his last couple years in buffalo when things turned bad. it's just good to see him not being a monster

whatis fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 3, 2022

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

please lord give us a full season of randy carlyle + blake wheeler + mark schiefele

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
For teams that just missed the playoffs, Vegas seems like the best choice. I feel like there's at least two or three teams currently in the playoffs that could be interested too though

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
lol I was going to joke that Vegas needed some time to research the shittiest and scummiest way to fire DeBoer, but backdoor negotiations with Q would surely fit the bill

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
PK would be a good fit for buffalo's current D corps assuming he would settle for a 2 or 3 year deal before settling into a full-time ESPN gig

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

rob ray's look of pure disgust when pierre grabs him by the shoulder sends me literally every time

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
saving all these posts for when the sabres finish 2nd in the division next year riding a wave of good vibes

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

smart move! i hope he gets replaced by an even bigger trashcan

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i want to see mike babcock behind the knights' bench. i want to see the neon lights of vegas reflected in his dead eyes.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1529135436978954242

i want to see this now

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the rangers suck rear end

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Pronman with a new mock draft. Only one "surprise" pick near the top, which is Philly taking Cutter Gauthier at #5 (with Jiricek still on the board).

While this would be funny, it does seem like Gauthier's stock is rising all the sudden.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1535320634993127426

sabres have more cap space available than they do committed salary for next season. they're probably going to be making a few more of these moves in the coming weeks

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Also, the Sabres are going to be retiring Ryan Miller's number
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1535303404490309639

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I mean I like Ryan Miller but jersey retirement? Do the Sabres not have a level of excellent type thing where he gets his number on the wall but it's not taken out of circulation? This smacks of wanting to remind folks of the better days and it's not like they could go with Drury or Briere.

buffalo's criteria for jersey retirement is definitely weaker than many other orgs. for example, danny gare and pat lafontaine's numbers are retired and definitely shouldn't be. but i don't particularly mind miller's jersey retirement because he was the team's de facto captain from 2006 through the end of his tenure with the sabres, and he was heavily involved in community and charity orgs during his time in buffalo. if his number was getting retired for his on-ice play alone i think it would be stupid, but that combined with his off-the-ice stuff makes it a much more compelling case IMO.

the cupboards are also pretty barren as far as future retirements are concerned unless someone currently rostered blooms into a legit top 5 player in the league over the next decade

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
it was cute that people were behind the panthers this year to be trendy or w/e, but this is who they have always been

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

there's the 2nd insanely stupid piece of NHL news today, now here's hoping for a 3rd

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
two weeks until the NHL draft. seems like more variance in how scouts are ranking most players this year, so it's probably going to be a very unpredictable first round after the first 3 picks.

seems relatively well-set that the draft will start:

montreal: wright
new jersey: slafkovsky
arizona: cooley

but after that things get pretty tricky.

lots of assumption that seattle will go RD (nemec, jiricek), but ron francis and jason botterill are stupid assholes so who knows what they will do. what big dumb idiot will fletcher take (geekie)? columbus will probably pick someone normal, but what will dorion do with ottawa's pick?

it's gonna be so cool. i feel like a lot of people are going to be really mad and i can't wait

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the year of the buffalo sabres starts NOW

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Sedins, Luongo, Alfie all inducted into the HHOF. Lou and the Twins were first ballot.

full list:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1541498631760527366

seems like a good group but i still loving hate alfredsson. i don't know that i'll ever hate a team as much as i hated those mid-to-late 2000s senators teams

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

eXXon posted:

Did you feel sorry for the early 2000s Senators?

i didn't pay much attention to hockey from the 2001-2002 season to the end of the lockout. i was a huge hasek fan and him getting traded gutted me. i don't really have any frame of reference for the senators prior to 05/06, but i'm sure i would have hated them too

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking drops in the next half hour or so. Does it make sense for there to be a draft specific thread, or just roll all that talk into here?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bob's list is up:

https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585

His final top 10 has Slafkovsky #1 over Wright, which is a little bit of a surprise

1. Slafkovsky
2. Wright
3. Cooley
4. Nemec
5. Gauthier
6. Jiricek
7. Kemell
8. Lekkerimaki
9. Savoie
10. Kasper

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There's been some chatter about Slaf over Wright from different scouting services, but it's interesting to see that teams are viewing it the same way. I'm still expecting Montreal to take Wright, but it's a little bit of added drama headed into next week at least.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
edit: i got duped by a fake account

so uhhhhh gently caress corey perry right?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is Mike Grier, Oilers legend, the first black GM?

Brett Peterson became the league's first black AGM in 2020 for the Panthers, so yeah, I believe Grier would be the first black GM.

That's an awesome honor, but man is his work cut out for him. That org looks like its setup to fail for another three years minimum.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1545058114881277954

today's gonna be so disappointing, i can't wait for none of this to actually happen

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

lmao this would have owned

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
as funny as it was when the flyers traded for ristolainen and finally got him out of buffalo, i actually feel bad for flyers fans now. not bad enough that i would take ristolainen back or anything, but you know

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1545484771098230787

things going well between cam talbot and bill guerin

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There was a post-draft interview with Jerry Forton, the Sabres' director of amateur scouting earlier today. It went on for about 20 mins and had some really good information, but at the very end he was asked about working under Kevyn Adams and he got really emotional and ended up crying lol. Didn't go into specifics about previous GMs (he's been with the team for a while now), but he heaped a lot of praise on Adams for being professional, trusting people to do their jobs, and getting everyone working together after a lot of extremely bad years. Pretty revealing of how dysfunctional things became under Murray and Botterill, and hopefully an accurate reflection of a real turnaround under new management.

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/1545487281796091904

There was a story that came out in the last couple years or so that in 2016, Forton and a few other scouts had McAvoy ranked far and away as their top choice heading into the Sabres' pick at 8th overall but they were disregarded by Murray and others higher up the chain, who drafted Alex Nylander instead

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
at least he's pro choice

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Carwash oval office posted:

A (theoretically) rich person like EK paying for an abortion is no indicator if they would be pro choice for anyone else!

thank you

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It sounds a given that Campbell is going to Edmonton and Murray to Toronto. I genuinely don't know what Keumper's landing spot will be now. San Jose?

I can't remember his exact wording, but Friedman linked Kuemper to Washington on his podcast earlier today

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
seems weird to not want to give malkin too much money or term and then turn around and do both of those things for rakell

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I briefly felt sorry for Philly but I'm back to thinking this poo poo is really loving funny again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/ntrider825/status/1547290212858056706