Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Are you guys ready for some serious doom posting by Leafs, Pens, and Rangers fans? No? Sorry, you're gonna get it anyways. I'll add each series to the OP once everything is established.

I think so far the only confirmed matchups are Minnesota/St.Louis and LA/Edmonton.

I hope someone does a predictions thread as well so I can get immediately red exxed in 7/8 series

Series:

East

Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Washington Capitals (WC2)
Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3)
Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. Boston Bruins (WC1)

New York Rangers (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

West

Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Nashville Predators (WC2)
Minnesota Wild (C2) vs. St. Louis Blues (C3)
Calgary Flames (P1) vs. Dallas Stars (WC1)
Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1519460042826821632?s=20&t=IA7e-W4m1S15U6MEWJAiLw

This is kinda interesting. Morehouse has been CEO forever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't care at all who the Pens draw since I don't think they're favored against the Rangers or Panthers. Bring on whoever and maybe I'll get pleasantly surprised by the Pens hulking out of their torpor.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's a tough one. The Penguins are playing worse but are the better team than the Caps probably. They also are potentially entering the playoffs with Desmith as their starter since Jarry is hurt and may not be ready for round 1.

I'd probably say the Penguins but I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the Rangers a scare or even beat them. There's still enough talent there to do that if they get their heads out of their asses.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kung fu jive posted:

I now see this is the thread for terrible playoff takes.

It was always that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't see the Pens going into the tank next year. The rest of the metro is just such trash. Who is gonna replace them?

Maybe in a few years

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm with you but the fact neither Letang nor Malkin (nor indeed any other pending UFA except Jeff fuckin' Carter) has re-signed, plus how totally checked out the team has looked the last month, really has me thinking FSG have decided to let everyone walk and start the tank a year or two sooner than strictly necessary and go for Bedard.

There's zero chance they'll kick off a full scale rebuild as long as Crosby is still here/this good imo. They might not re-sign all of their big free agents but I suspect even if they don't that they'd try to spend that money somewhere else.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

No team coming off a 100+ point season where they made the playoffs is going to tank. A team with a face-of-the-franchise generational superstar like Crosby isn't going to blow it up because two other stars are UFAs. More likely, if Malkin and Letang leave, the Pens use that $30m in cap space to try to lure in Nazem Kadri, Filip Forsberg, John Klingberg, and comedy option Tony DeAngelo.

I'll make some more popcorn after their first round loss in 4 games to the Rangers.

They won't willingly go into the tank, yeah. It might happen organically I guess if they somehow lose every big free agent they have and fail to adequately replace them. Even then I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Sullivan guided a Crosby + grinders team into a playoff spot.

If I had to guess, I still think they re-sign Malkin/Letang, lose Rust, and probably keep Sullivan.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think I have the OP updated with the confirmed matchups. Let me know if I hosed anything up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What an insane game. I'm exhausted after that.

Sorry RAS. That would have been a gut punch for either team to lose.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I noticed Gallant doing that and was kind of confused why the Reaves line kept going out against Guentzel-Crosby-Rust.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Someone was gonna have to die for a penalty to be called during OT

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Chytil always looks good when he plays the Pens. Kind of a bull on the puck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Domingue having to start game 2 would be kinda rough, but he does have plenty of NHL experience and isn't the worst third string goalie to rely on. And at least game 2 isn't must win, so perhaps CDS would be ready by game 3.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Did someone post this last night and I missed it? I'm laughing so hard at this

https://twitter.com/liam_mchugh/status/1521682954652684290?s=20&t=FbCcboipWJQrJzosIYv7lQ

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

No, because it's not from last night it was from when the two teams played each other pre-playoffs about a week ago.

It's still funny though.

Ah, still rules.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't see the Penguins winning a game 2 that the Rangers consider must win and in which Louis Domingue is starting. Hard to see them winning the series as well if he ends up having to start multiple games but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

The Penguins still do that lol

It's a "they have Malkin" problem, not a coaching problem.

Boston can't score on Raanta, so it's not like I had high hopes for them scoring on the other guy either.

Letang is as equally a headcase as Malkin when things go poorly.

Sid sometimes too, but a little less so than the other two

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Dumoulin isn't playing tonight. He hasn't been stellar but that still feels like a blow if it means Beaulieu comes in. Maybe they'll use Friedman instead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It will be an upgrade either way, or would be except it means Matheson is going to play 28 minutes. Dumo is Scuderi level cooked :sigh:

Beaulieu is pretty bad from what I remember so it might not actually be.

e: Looks like Friedman is playing

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1522348979706548231?s=20&t=KxxfUIfbXg2c4D9ICF70yA

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A split was pretty good to get. Pens need to find depth scoring in a bad way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I must be the only one here who likes Math. He's had a good season overall. I don't like him on the first pairing but with Dumoulin out there's not a ton of options there. I think you're out to lunch if you think Pettersson would get any less abused there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really do wonder if the coaching/analytics staff sucks so much that they look at his output and go "yeah give that guy top duties" or if that level of analysis just doesn't exist or...

I guess like how can Mike Matheson be so awful and still be so highly regarded
how does this still happen in a "modern" league there are empirical ways to know he sucks and by most of those metrics he loving sucks

and even by the eyeball test he loving sucks

This really isn't true. His analytics have been good all year. Last year what you're saying would have been true. He's cleaned up a lot of the awful mistakes this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Pens defensive system and plan is predicated on doing everything possible to not be in the defensive zone ever. It doesn't seem to me that Gallant has adjusted to Sullivan's tweaks which has definitely allowed the Pens to take New York apart better.

That said creating tons of decent/good chances and sometimes even bunches of super good chances the finish has not been there. If the Penguins can find any goals 5v5 from not Sid's line look out... assuming also they aren't having to play their 3rd string.

Domingue was fine tonight despite giving up 5. Kept them in long enough to potentially win the game. They just couldn't score.

It's a real tall ask to keep running him out there against Shesterkin, though. That said their biggest issues so far have been depth scoring and dealing with the Rangers' powerplay.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can’t believe Washington didn’t do anything about their goaltending. Overpay for someone! I don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or prospects who aren’t going to contribute for a few years! They are going to suck as soon as next year so what’s the point in hoarding mediocre assets?

The series isn’t over but I have a sinking feeling that the skaters are going to play well again in Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a stinker like Vanecek did last night and then they just get deflated and give up.

I only caught part of the game between Pens/Rangers periods but the Caps looked like they were really frustrating the Cats' rush game. The Panthers seemed like they were allergic to the very idea of generating offense off the cycle instead of the rush. Obviously the floodgates opened at some point but it looks like the Caps have a good game plan at least.

They will probably get undone by goaltending much like the Penguins, though. I actually thought Domingue played well and wasn't the reason they lost last night. He did give up 5 but he kept them in it for a very long time. About all you can ask of a third string goalie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Well poo poo. Hard to see the Pens winning this series given that news but stranger things have happened in playoff hockey I suppose

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Ah, turns out that it was the Penguins who should have traded for MAF after all

They probably would have had they any cap space at all. They had to move out a few guys they didn't want to lose just to grab Rakell.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh I was being facetious, just thought it would be funny to bring up as it was such a contentious topic before the playoffs started. Next time I’ll add this guy :v:

I know. I'm sure if they added Maf anyways he would have gotten hurt because the Pens always get the worst injury luck. Somehow they've won 3 cups recently despite that though so don't throw me a pity party or anything.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens haven't even sold out for tomorrow yet. Kinda surprised at that given there's probably a lot of Rangers fans that I would think would snatch up those tickets if Pens fans didn't. If I didn't live 9 hours away and covid wasn't a thing I'd probably go.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Seeing this post at 6am this morning when I woke up in Washington, DC was the catalyst for me calling an audible, spending too much money on tickets (less than $500 bucks for two seats in the lower bowl, though!), and planning a last minute road trip to the game tonight. Thanks, pal!!

Nice. Have fun man. I don't live nearby or I'd go to more. The last Pens game I went to live was game 5 vs the Preds which did rule because the Pens won that like 6-0 or whatever and it was probably the most fun game I've ever been to.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think it would break Toronto if they lost again in the first round but the weird thing is for once there would be no shame in them losing. Tampa is still quite good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hockey would be a really hard sport to fix without literally everyone being in on it. It's such a random sport.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Rangers still have the vezina winner and the Pens have a third stringer so this series could turn on its head at any time. I suspect game 5 will be really hard to win and if the Pens don't win that one all it would take is one bad game 6 to send this to 7.

It's cool to see Sid still has it in the playoffs though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's like 95% he's going to be an Edmonton Oiler next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Pittsburgh but I feel like that's only happening if one or more of Malkin/Letang/Rust/Rakell leave. And if he's ok with being a backup I guess. If he wants to chase a starter job I dunno who would give that to him that's actually a contender.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't expect to win tonight but that was a hell of a depressing way to lose. If Sid is out for the rest of the series or even for just game 6 I think the Rangers will probably win this.

Pens have won three cups on my watch so I'm not thaaat upset about tonight but god drat what a hell of a thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I hope Sid is ok, that was unfortunate.

However I hope they do everything in their power to troll the living poo poo out of Malkin in game 6.

Might as well, getting the Pens off their game like that has historically been effective.

I think if Sid is out - and tbh even if he isn't - the Pens have to have game 6. I don't think they'd win a game 7.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Meh. I hate that play and I think Trouba should get a suspension for it arguably but I don't think he actually meant to hurt Crosby. It was a careless play more than a malicious one imo. It was a "I'm not letting up even though this guy is in a bad position" play moreso than a "it's Sidney Crosby and I'm gonna elbow the gently caress out of him" kinda play.

But I don't think being careless should be an excuse to not face disciplinary action.

Either way, this series is still there for the taking. If the Pens lose, oh well. Not sure they get by Carolina or Boston anyways, two teams that torment them. I'd love a round 1 series win for once but thems the breaks. I'll hope for the best and we'll see what happens.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Go off, and I mean that in a non sarcastic way. If someone knocked the best player on the Rangers (Kakko) out of the game I’d be upset too.

If the Rangers get a two or three goal lead in game 6 or 7 Malkin will absolutely start throwing a temper tantrum and cheapshotting people. Probably Letang too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hell. it happened in this game.

Trouba was going for a poke check on the puck, and then collided with Sid. Whoopsie daisy.

"oops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I didn’t watch the game but I watched the clip and imo Trouba has a history of being a shithead and deserves no benefit of the doubt in this instance

I hope he does but mostly so that Nemeth has to play