Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still can't believe Washington did jack poo poo about their goaltending at the deadline.

Their skaters aren't great but they're good enough where they could make a run if things break right for them. But holy poo poo this is who they are hoping will be their starting goalie:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCapitals/status/1519125119695826944?s=20&t=X9V-M9MYCe7TTWah10fcOA

https://twitter.com/matthewborlik/status/1519143781995585539?s=20&t=qiHCCcXU0om9Otke0AR4nQ

No chance they go anywhere with this clown in net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin is also injured right now and not just "injured". Laviolette even went as far as to say he wouldn't have played two days ago if it were Game 1.

I think Washington can probably do a good enough job mucking it up against a better team and make it go 6 games but their goaltending is so bad.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don’t care who wins as long as it isn’t Pittsburgh, New York, or Toronto.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/amanduhroseg/status/1520196769681915905?s=21&t=zYIO8sX86U1RncMDd4h7rw

Ovie rules

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

Samsonov drives me crazy, I wonder if he'll ever fix his issues. He just seems to lose his net far too often for a guy who was supposed to be an exceedingly talented goalie. Just going back to the Rangers game at the end of the season, he lost his net and was completely unprepared for that Chytil goal. Just...where's the post? where's the net? where's my positioning?
Then got completely juked by Dryden Hunt with a poor angle and challenge

But then he makes a lot of good saves too.

I think he just sucks and I hope they trade him to some team that thinks they can fix him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea the caps played like, the best game they could. And it was still close. They will not be that good the whole series.

I mean they were fine, but honestly Florida just took a dump on the ice. Weegar and Ekblad sucked and Barkov/Huberdeau looked timid as hell.

I expect Florida to be better but I could see Bob playing worse. He was actually really good tonight.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son’s name is also Gump

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

In a 1 - 0 game, the Stars last shot on net was at 9:15 of the third period... Sutter hockey baby.

Also Bowness hockey baby

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pungry posted:

Looking at the box score, it might've looked like the Panthers offense did get back on track and run over the Caps like everyone expected. But the shots were 21-8 in favor of the Caps a long time into the 2nd period. The Caps have been shutting down the Panthers really well, but got let down by their goaltender in the first two periods and just didn't try at all in the third. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in game 3.

They’re gonna get let down by their goaltending again OP

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still can’t believe Washington didn’t do anything about their goaltending. Overpay for someone! I don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or prospects who aren’t going to contribute for a few years! They are going to suck as soon as next year so what’s the point in hoarding mediocre assets?

The series isn’t over but I have a sinking feeling that the skaters are going to play well again in Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a stinker like Vanecek did last night and then they just get deflated and give up.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I also wanted to stop in and make fun of Tony D for being a giant whiny piece of poo poo racist baby.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

MJeff posted:

Caps are legit gonna do four straight first round bounces after letting Trotz go, huh. :|

I mean they are playing Florida to an even series. It sucks how they lost tonight but it’s not like Florida has been carrying every game. 2-2 is fair right now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

The Capitals are the champions!!! Of blowing leads.

I can't watch the games these days but I can tell after looking at it they'll get blown out the next two and go out. Man except for 2018 this franchise is playoff poisoned.

Yesssss he’s back!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1524398193991364609?s=20&t=q6mcInjSjBj1T7weYMrWFA

lol Nurse is gonna be suspended for the game they are eliminated

https://twitter.com/kingsgifs2/status/1524241362194903041?s=20&t=q6mcInjSjBj1T7weYMrWFA

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah that series was wild, I still remember where I was when Matthews scored late in game 6. Washington and Boston 1.0 were the two series where I thought the Leafs were legitimately outclassed by their opponents and it was just fun to see the team progress, ever since they started getting home ice the playoffs have been misery.

The Washington vs. Toronto series was probably the most stressful one I remember as a Capitals fan. Seemed like Toronto kept getting bullshit bounces throughout the series (including the Matthews goal in Game 6) and it was ostensibly the last year of Washington's contention window so I was getting a little depressed thinking about Ovechkin retiring without a Cup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I want Florida to win but they honestly weren’t that impressive against Washington, a significantly worse team than Tampa.

Obviously Point being out would help Florida, but even then I think I’d still pick Tampa.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait didn’t they change the ruling in game from boarding to cross checking? And now it’s boarding again?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So who’s gonna score any goals in the ECF?

This has to be the highest profile goalie duel in years right?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The 90s/early 00s Penguins were much more hateable than any iteration of the Crosby era Penguins. I hated Lemieux and Kasparaitis and Martin Straka and loving Petr Nedved more than I’ve ever hated Crosby or Malkin.

Probably hated them more because my 7th grade math teacher was a huge Penguins fan and he’d needle me every time the Penguins beat the Capitals, i.e. all the loving time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

If you get suspended in the playoffs do you also have to forfeit salary?

Definitely relevant in this case.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Now I'm wondering if there's a baseball version of Tim Peel.

Angel Hernandez

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/EvanAxelbank/status/1535245457772912641?s=20&t=j-BgUYT7PCRoSv4Ho_C8ZQ

Uhhh

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

I thought there would be no issue with Avs being able to re-sign Nichuskin next year. But then he's gone full Beast Mode the last 2 series and now I'm not so sure.

How much do you guys think he's going to expect? I saw a site that said his expected value was $10.7M per year. which.... come the gently caress on, no.

Evolving Hockey has him projected for 7 years x $6.4M. Honestly he seems worth it. He was crap in Dallas but his underlying numbers have been excellent in Colorado. Maybe it’s a product of the system but all of the stats nerds seem to think he’s the reason Colorado is good with him on the ice, rather than him being a product of good teammates.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think I buy it. The only kind of team thay would give him that much money is a mediocre to bad one and the will probably look a lot more like he did in Dallas.

I’d guess Colorado is going to re-sign him for less than that because he should be a high priority for them. Maybe the prospect of winning a bunch of Cups will keep his salary lower if he stays.

I don’t know how valid WAR stats really are but they love Nichushkin. Everyone does better with him than without him, and as mentioned he’s great defensively. He probably won’t put up the same point totals again but he seems like a perfect facilitator for super skilled players (which is why I think Colorado will push to keep him).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is uh…this is a black day for hockey.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait are coaches not supposed to work the refs any more?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ban on-the-fly changes and make it like basketball where you have to wait for a whistle to make a substitution.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

They should give it to Shesterkin

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Simplex posted:

I'm fully confident that the Avalanche winning won't be the cause of rioting in Denver this evening.

No one’s rioting we are a cowed people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like the Avalanche would have been able to get to Caps levels of drunkenness if they had to wait like 5 or 6 more years before winning a Cup. There was certainly playoff disappointment from the Avalanche before this year but not nearly to the level of the Capitals pre 2018, which is what fueled their Cup bender. The Avs players had the potential but not the motivation IMO