Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Look, it's not doom posting if you're right :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah can’t wait to see Greg “Hoops” McKegg

https://twitter.com/bkak47/status/1518764246699495424?s=21&t=5hVD6Y0rEIH66xaMnkVYnQ

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’d prefer the Bruins too tbh, I don’t really believe that the matchup itself is cursed they were just a good team for a long time in the division. Tampa’s got the goalie, the depth, and it’s entirely possible their key guys were taking the regular season lightly.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think the Panthers are all that scary. Their goaltending is Not Great and there's no guarantee they can outscore their problems in the playoffs against playoff teams. Boston beat them the other night and held them to 20 shots. The Lightning dropped 8 on them a few days before that. One of the stats I've heard bandied around about them is how they've had 28 (?) comeback wins this season which, sure, great job, but that also means you put yourself in a position you had to come back from 28+ times.

To that point their record in 1-goal games is absurd as is their OT record, neither of which is sustainable. Micah just posted the standings without “gimmick” OT points and it brings the Panthers down to the rest of the pack instead of the stratosphere. A lot of the team narrative is about goal ordering, if those points came from them getting ahead early in games and then blowing those leads and going to OT they’re not the “Comeback Cats” they’re… the Leafs, I guess.

I’ll still root for them when the Leafs are inevitably eliminated because they’re easily one of the more fun teams in the league and too many series have been awful grind-fests lately but I’d be surprised to see them go long.

Also speaking of matchups one thing I forgot to mention about the Leafs playing the Lightning is that John Cooper is going to pull Keefe’s underwear right over his giant head if they play each other. Sheldon Keefe got outcoached by Dominic Ducharme, the Leafs playing Cooper is going to be a biblical-level pantsing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m imagining Milan Lucic tripping Connor McDavid along the boards and then just straight-up sitting on him for 2 full minutes while the Flames complete a line change and score, with the official emphatically gesturing good goal while garbage rains down from the seats

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Honestly the Leafs consistent failure and the performative hatred from everywhere else in the country has probably worked too well against them, a lot of scorn has turned to almost-pity in the last little while and interest in the team as a legitimate contender is pretty drat low in this town compared to other years*.

Like, this team couldn’t buy a save for two months yet they’re still 4th overall and have the league’s top goal scorer, but I don’t think you can find a single person excited for them to go deep. Certainly not me!

*From what I can see anyway there’s more hype about the not-very-good-yet Raptors and the promise of a young Jays team that will surely be undone by the dead ball and mediocre pitching.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

The Leafs are the Demar/Casey era Raps. By any reasonable definition, they are a really, really good team, but unless/until they get over the hump, there’s no reason to care.

So you’re telling me the Leafs need to fire Keefe and trade Marner for some random superstar on the outs with their current club, couldn’t agree more.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Who exactly is reading tsn and sportsnet articles about hockey anyway???

This is what I find funny about the whole discussion on media coverage, I found network articles to be largely generic and aggravating even as a Leafs fan. I haven’t gone to the front page of Sportsnet or TSN for years in favour of team-specific sites, I only read articles from there if they’re linked into my feed and look interesting.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sure, but once again:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Who exactly is reading tsn and sportsnet articles about hockey anyway???

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s especially weird because Gardiner hasn’t played a game this season and may never play a game again, it’s not exactly like he’s top of mind anyway

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tampa throwing games in order to avoid playing the Leafs in the first round, interesting choice

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs are going to sit Matthews, Marner, and Tavares tonight, also starting Källgren in net and will run 7 D because they don’t have enough forwards after sitting the top 3.

So… I guess it’s Leafs/Bruins in the first round after all!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Apparently Boston is sitting literally anyone good on their roster, odds of Leafs/Bruins is fading hard

e: beaten :mad:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sheldon Keefe is channeling his inner Babcock and scratching Spezza for game 1 in favour of someone worse. It’s not quite as bad as it could be because Spezza’s a shadow of who he was last year, but there’s just no reason for Kyle Clifford to be anywhere near an NHL roster and he’s absolutely going to take a costly penalty tonight.

I wonder if Keefe is ever going to realize that when you’re the higher seed you don’t actually have to engage in tactical rock paper scissors off the bat, good teams talk about establishing their game and not playing into what the other team wants but Keefe can’t help do the opposite. Big aggressive forechecking team? Better make the lines and PP2 worse so that there’s more guys to participate in post-whistle scrums!

Ultimately it’s all moot if Matthews and Marner repeat their disappearing act from last year, but constantly fixing what isn’t broken is a recurring theme for this coaching staff and it doesn’t help.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

Yeah well, Ryan Reaves is in the lineup for game one for the Rangers, beat that

Reaves is 5 times the player Kyle Clifford is, in that he’s at least good at the useless thing he does instead of terrible at everything, but I feel your pain

eXXon posted:

Simmonds can't do all of the punching; he needs Clifford as backup to guarantee that the fourth line is totally useless.

Apparently Ondrej Kase could possibly start on the second line, so someone is likely to get blown the gently caress up tonight. Seriously, he should retire, not hop back in to the playoffs after probably half as much time off as he needed.

“loving around with the chemistry of the top 6” is also a classic Playoffs Keefe move. I think especially at home there’s an argument that using Engvall-Kampf-Kase as a shutdown third line could work, but that’s not what he’s going for. The current configuration looks like Keefe wants to go Matthews vs. Kucherov and spread the scoring out so that the team’s consistently dangerous against the other lines. Which is fine in theory, except that the top two lines now both have somebody with absolutely no history or chemistry playing in their spot because Keefe sucks at moving his lineup around.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

aejix posted:

Well, at least the major didn't turn out to be costly I guess?

I’ll take being half right

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Begging Marner to stop whipping no look passes into traffic

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

E: not the GDT

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/capsboybebop/status/1521309536543461379?s=21&t=NCkeUIQm4hfplWs5OjxyxQ

For the record I don’t think this is a goal, but lol anyway

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Probably the weirdest thing to me about the game, other than Tampa’s PP being entirely incompetent, is Jake Muzzin looking like an NHLer again after being dogshit and or injured the entire season

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah Leafs fans in my feed are getting entirely too excited given the entire history of this team.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Any “Toronto Maple Leaf 2022 Staley Cup champions” tattoos yet?

Think we gotta wait until at least tomorrow

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It was a pretty easy call to make when the Leafs head coach is literally threatening violence through the media days in advance and dresses a terrible meathead who never plays specifically for game 1. Clifford was obligated to do something stupid, Keefe might as well have demanded it. Keefe is also a former professional shithead himself so there’s no question what his expectations were.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Simmonds was absolutely involved, he skated away from Perry and Maroon but after that Hedman seemed to say or do something he didn't like which prompted him to go at Hedman at which point the Bolts just started punching people. You can see it here:

https://twitter.com/EHClothing/status/1521307748083843073?s=20&t=gV7eT1hTw0RdOXFLlmah_Q

Simmonds, like Clifford, doesn't add anything to the roster and his presence escalates this stuff rather than preventing it. If Rielly really did hurt his hand in that mess it's a huge blow to the Leafs with no benefit and as much as Simmonds seemed to try to de-escalate he ultimately played as much a part of it as anyone in the end.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Should have suspended him for the rest of the playoffs. And also the next two seasons that he’s under contract since Dubas gave him that extension for some insane reason.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

There was just no way the organization was going to keep Kadri after back-to-back suspensions in R1. He’d also been left out of games in the regular season for team discipline so there was simmering discontent for a while. It’s a shame, because it absolutely made the Leafs worse, but management made an example of him and I can understand why they did.

Kerfoot adding penalty killing to his skillset has done a lot to even out the Kadri trade at least, he’s been excellent and it really bumps him up from “extremely mid jack of all trades guy” to a real contributor.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's an aerosolized respiratory pandemic going on.

Haha vuvuzela go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kadri didn’t deserve his reputation in the first place because even with the playoff suspensions that reputation was way overblown. I remember when the trade happened an Avs fan on this forum was like “why do we want some thug” after he’d had multiple 30 goal seasons.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea the caps played like, the best game they could. And it was still close. They will not be that good the whole series.

For what it’s worth, the fancy stats are not kind to Florida

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1521673051489943552?s=20&t=mXlWsfg4ZoehAC_1yb6uRg

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Michael Bunting gonna play tonight, will be interesting to see if Keefe goes back to the usual lines or keeps some of them in place considering how game 1 went. Either way someone’s gonna get bumped to the 4th line and it better not be Engvall.

Also apparently Nylander had food poisoning and was puking his guts out the day of game 1, making it even funnier that he got behind Tampa’s D multiple times.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So I only caught the third period of Flames/Stars, did Bowness put Robertson on a line with Seguin and Radulov? More directly, did the coach of a one-line team break up his only good line in game one of the playoffs and not reunite them when the team needed one (1) goal? Seems pretty galaxy brained.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Bunting gets his spot back, Kerfoot back with JT and Kase to the fourth. Still Simmonds instead of Spezza though.

I think the only way Spezza gets in the lineup is if something happens to one of the other centres, it's pretty clear Keefe wants someone who can punch on the team and with Kase healthy for now there's actually not a lot of space on the roster.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

On one hand, it really does look like Pastrnak is trying to avoid body contact with Raanta. The other hand drove right into his face, though. And since David’s a Bruin the verdict is clear, acid vat.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

That's true. If I don't notice him, that means he is also not being too much of a negative.

Unfortunately, we noticed Wayne Simmonds tonight

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So to go back to a previous topic, the Leafs traded Kadri for taking selfish cheap shots in the playoffs that hurt his team, and he was a waaaay better player then than Clifford or Simmonds are now.

The Leafs played Tampa even or better when they weren’t killing dumb, unnecessary penalties. Dubas and Keefe’s jobs are explicitly on the line in this series, what they do about this is going to say a lot about them and their careers.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1522601518611972096

Anderson is not very good, but I guess he's a better option if Kase's brains are in fact too hot to play effectively. I imagine that putting Kerfoot on the third line is for general depth so long as they're rolling lines, and if things get tight late he'll replace Anderson on the second line.

e: I don't like Holl but Liljegren got absolutely cooked last game so I can understand the change.

I’d say there’s no chance they actually play Anderson there, he’s a placeholder and Kase will dress. Putting Kerfoot next to guys he hasn’t played a lot with and assembling a second line with a guy they have no experience with feels like more galaxy-brained Keefe nonsense, but it’s not like Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander was ever setting the world on fire so whatever.

Liljegren also got destroyed in the last regular season game against the Lightning. I know he and Gio have been fancy stats darlings but imo Liljegren’s still in the Travis Dermott zone where he gets a little too much credit for bumping the puck to forwards who then crush weak comp and lacks the upper percentile of skills/physical attributes that would make him a positive player in his own right. Once a forechecker’s on him or he has to defend a set offence it’s all over, and he’s not above average offensively. He missed a wide open PP chance in the first, and while Vasilevskiy made an incredible save on him in the second period there was a ton of net he wouldn’t have been able to reach and Timmy didn’t find it. If he can’t box out or break cycles and he can’t make/finish plays in the offensive zone then he’s just a guy.

Holl has his own problems but he immediately makes the PK better which I think is the real factor in putting him in. The question for a slow guy coming in cold is if he can avoid being the one taking obstruction penalties and nullifying his whole reason for being there.

I think Kerfoot down to the third might also be because Engvall’s a little banged up, he skipped practice between game 1/2 and he played a lot more on the perimeter last game.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, turns out that it was the Penguins who should have traded for MAF after all

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

They probably would have had they any cap space at all. They had to move out a few guys they didn't want to lose just to grab Rakell.

Oh I was being facetious, just thought it would be funny to bring up as it was such a contentious topic before the playoffs started. Next time I’ll add this guy :v:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tonight’s game was much closer to what I expected of the series, close game with the Leafs having a territorial edge early, Tampa being efficient on the PP, and me clenching my butthole the entire third period. Jack Campbell was huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the top line basically did nothing 5v5 outside of one play, Tavares is still completely MIA, and Muzzin handled the puck like a grenade but the Leafs still managing a small possession advantage and the win is a big deal, it’s important that they don’t have to play perfectly to beat Tampa. Until they decided to just not play offence in the third it felt like they had it under control despite a bunch of sloppiness.