Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Counterpoint: it’s Montreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

So if you’re the Rangers, do you want to play the Penguins or the Caps in round 1? Cause the math could work out so that the final game of the season on Friday between the Caps/Rangers decides their opponent.

Edit: nevermind I figured it out

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ve seen some bad goalie puck handling, but chucking the puck into the slot with 5 minutes left in a tied game is truly something else.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Spurgeon's probably only getting fined, but he's gonna get heavy hits the next couple games I imagine

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1521346837986304000

That’s psycho behavior

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

I mean I expect some lovely high/low hits, dirty plays in the corner, lots of dumb scrums, slashing hands, etc but that’s like a whole new level of blatant and nasty.

I guess I should be happy he wasn’t trying to give anyone CTE tho!

Edit: also crazy that it’s Lady Byng/Masterton nominee Spurgeon. Like he just went totally psycho there for a minute.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2022

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

loving sucks but on the bright side the 2nd period for NYR was scary bad and then they turned around and put up an amazing fight for 4 more periods. Shesty is going to go Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan for the rest of this series after that ordeal. Not worried.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's extremely difficult to imagine him playing even better and the sustainability even less. He was excellent though and all he needs to do is outlast the Pens goalie. Which fortunately was up to standard tonight..

Start imaging it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Agreed...nice gif of a clean hit, shame the dirty refs gave him 2

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That was one hell of a poo poo he took, my word.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

If Tony D didn’t want to get chirped for being booted from multiple organizations for a being a shithead, racist, homophobic, rear end in a top hat who was openly antagonistic towards officials and teammates maybe he shouldn’t have done those things and maybe the league should understand that he will always get heat for his previous, very public, behavior.

I’m not excusing the unfortunately large number of NHLers who probably exist on the same political spectrum as Tony D but not being such a public bigot is part of the game and therefore they aren’t going to be held to the same standard.

gently caress Tony D and gently caress Carolina for signing him, and if the league steps against Marchand, and I can’t believe I’m defending him, but gently caress them too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This is my read on that play as well but I doubt PAS are going to buy it. Doesn’t really matter.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Just like a high stick the intent doesn't/shouldn't matter and he hit the player with his elbow in the head and caused an injury that meant the player missed the rest of the game.

It's stupid bullshit that causes injuries and long term brain damage that the league doesn't give a poo poo because lol forever at 'player safety'

Edit: it just seems insane to me that you have to be in control of your stick at all times no if ands or buts (other than the follow through of a shot) but flailing elbow gets a pass

Ok sure but they aren’t going to implement that rule change in the middle of the playoffs. You are also never going to convince the league to put the onus on the hitter when “keep your head up” is still the prevailing thought.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

NY #1 as always love da Rangers let's go the Rangers

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Absolutely hats off to Domingue. Dude did everything he could.

I know he was often out of position and definitely looked like a 3rd string goalie BUT he had some great moments. The numbers will prolly prove me wrong but I feel like he did way better than expected.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

We all know who...

Yeah that fucker Sebastian Aho. It’s a Highlander “there can only be one” situation.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Carolina can suck my rear end. Buncha bigots.

NYR handed them the game on a silver platter. Shameful collapse

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

*former New York Ranger and current Ranger fan Tony D, and also living evidence that Rangers fans have bad opinions, like that Ray Ferraro isn't the best that hockey colour commentary can offer.

Wonder why he doesn’t play for the Rangers anymore....

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

With Sammy Blais back on the ice, there's a possibility that the Rangers end up with roughly this forward lineup later in this series:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vatrano
Panarin-Strome-Copp
Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko
Motte-Goodrow-Blais

This displaces a fourth line of Rooney, Reaves, and McKegg who are, statistically, the three worst players in the NHL to play in more than half of their team's games this season.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?r...e=0&pageSize=50

They'll hopefully continue to have the second-worst defenseman by the same metric (Nemeth) in the press box.

Lol those 3 in a row at the top (bottom?) of that list. Amazing.

And yes that would be such an upgraded 4th line. They can still throw dumb hits and scrum and poo poo but actually also play hockey. I know RAS keeps going on about it but Motte is great and it’s such a relief having a guy with an actual shot on that line.

I think Braun has taken Nemeth’s job. Might be wishful thinking but he checks a lot of the same boxes but isn’t a total waste of space. Fingers crossed.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gently caress this do stupid poo poo.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're not allowed to run through the goalie. Every skater is responsible to not contact the goalie in the crease, it doesn't matter where the puck is at the time.

Kadri absolutely turned himself in such a way as to ensure he hit Binnington. It blows my mind that people who aren't Avs fans could possibly think otherwise. Even apart from his track record.

Running goalies is excellent strategy since it is never punished by anything more than a minor, and usually not even that.

He didn’t run the goalie and I don’t give a poo poo about either of these teams

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yup, play is unfortunate but Kadri has nowhere else to go and the puck was loose. It’s the playoffs- nobody is leaving that puck there without a fight. I wouldn’t say the defenseman pushed him but given his position there was no alternative.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Carolina being dirty little piss babies at the end of that game.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1528500246120218625

It’s almost like Tony D has chased himself out of every organization he has been in because he is a trash human being. But Carolina loves him!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

If we're still talking about this, I do not understand how the overhead view is supposed to exonerate Kadri in any way. Yes, he probably would have missed the net had he continued in a straight line - so what? Rosen got to the puck ahead of him, and it's not Rosen's job to make sure Kadri gets out of the way of Binnington (by doing what exactly, not playing the puck?). It is, however, Kadri's job to not run the goalie*. Also, Kadri's the one who knocked Rosen into Binnington, not the other way around.

* yes, yes, I know.

It’s actually Kadri’s job to score goals and there is a very clearly loose puck.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wonder if Jack Johnson is... well, it wouldn't be accurate to say the worst player in NHL history--even David Ayres is, right now, a far better hockey player than I was on the best day of my life--but the most anti-valuable player ever. The player that did more damage to his teams than any other.

There are lots of guys that play in the NHL that are as bad as Jack Johnson, or even worse, but they invariably have very short careers. 99% of the time you can't be that bad and stay in the NHL longer than a month. JMFJ has managed to parlay being a Very High Draft Pick, Big Body Presence, and personal charisma into a 15 year career, much of it spent playing big minutes against the best opposing players, and for almost all of it he's been a disaster. That's what's unique about him--that he's managed to keep playing 18+ minutes a night every night for years and years while being absolutely terrible.

Fans of other teams were widely making fun of how bad JFMJ was almost a decade ago, and I figured it was all overblown for comedy's sake and because this is the internet and exaggerating people's flaws is what we do. But then he joined the Penguins and I got to watch him every game and it turns out he was, somehow, impossible as it seemed, even worse than I'd heard. I viscerally hate Mike Matheson but he is nowhere near as bad as Jack Johnson. Not even close.

So it's not merely the badness, it's the way despite the badness he always ends up playing a big role where he can do a poo poo ton of damage to his team. It's amazing and we may never see anything like him again.

Agreed, there are definitely some 4th line/bottom pair plugs out there that you can make a strong argument are worse players but those guys are valued as such, replaceable no-name bodies that you would never be given an expanded role. However, JMFJ is sought after. It really is something else.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1532128818827341824

the french version of this is more clear, but Point likely out for the series and could return for the finals

Having to say, “I expect his career is not over” isn’t exactly promising....

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kakko’s “beard” is killlllinnngggg me

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DrunkPanda posted:

The fact that Jack Johnson is not getting scratched for this game is so :psyduck: . This is why I wanted Bednar gone last offseason and for us to go after Gallant. Bednar just is not a smart man and likes to make the dumbest decisions

JMFJ is a helluva drug. He will always have a consistent NHL job until he is devastatingly injures or retires.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

grack posted:

Kane has a hearing

You are going to have to be more specific.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

50% of Strome and Chytil is better than Goodrow-Hunt-Brodzinski down the middle, long term implications be damned!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Wonderllama posted:

Hopefully weaponX has a good lawyer

:laffo: dont u dare imply I’m from staten island

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol don’t post this CHUD there are many alternative ways to dunk on the Rangers right now

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

There are 3 red flags here. Check the profile next time.

How could he have known!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tampa also won a cup with too many men, it’s called the LTIR

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 23, 2022