Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

marioinblack posted:

Its been a good 9 months since my team won a Cup, so I think it's about time for them to win another.

The last two were fun-sized so I can understand Tampa fans needing another already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If not my team, then it has to be the Panthers
all teams must build to chase the score

no more big, slow defenseman and "defense-first" forwards

Plus Joe and Giroux can have a cup, as a treat

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brown was a staple on my EA NHL teams for a long time because he was tuned to steamroll people and he had hands
and I suppose that was true in real life too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the Canes must fail for their hubris of dumpster diving with the racist

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

They won't willingly go into the tank, yeah. It might happen organically I guess if they somehow lose every big free agent they have and fail to adequately replace them. Even then I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Sullivan guided a Crosby + grinders team into a playoff spot.

If I had to guess, I still think they re-sign Malkin/Letang, lose Rust, and probably keep Sullivan.

I'm on this side. And I think the deeper they make a run this year, the more they'll go in on keeping the core going. So long as you're packing the arena and getting free playoff money, you have no reason to turn off the fountain. Money now is better than possibly money if you luck into winning a draft lottery.

Crosby and Malkin jerseys are going to be all-time best sellers like Lemieux so you don't do a damned thing to risk souring that relationship with the fanbase, too. It would be incredibly short-sighted

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm 100% out if they sign that bigot

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Draisatl gonna pot 6 tonight

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ah, well I guess Matthews is safe then
also all these games are going to be terrible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

I understand resting the heavy-hitters (offensively speaking) when we've clinched the conference, but what the gently caress is the point of attempting to injure players against a team you aren't playing until the 2nd round, assuming either team makes it? I mean, if you were gonna go out and do that poo poo, shoulda done it last night and tried to slewfoot Roman Josi or something.

I'm not endorsing it, just saying it's dumb now and just makes other teams angry

I think part of it is is all the shitheads are trying to use their 5 minutes to shine so coach remembers how big and tough they are come playoff time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress yeah playoff hockey. There will be blood tonight

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lots of injured goalies going into the playoffs this year. Really bringing the goalie chaos to a frenzy

Speaking of, Jarry's foot must be loving shattered I don't think he's even practiced yet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

If the Leafs finally get the monkey off their back, it’s because nobody believed in them to actually do it ala the ‘18 Caps.

it's been 1 game in 1 round
this is powerful dark magic you're invoking

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/ajcastigliaa/status/1521875726433234944?s=21&t=Igv40erZbD0IkLPupwyrLQ

I just keep watching it over and over and getting angrier and angrier this is a good use of my time 🙃

yeah those dirty cheating refs clearly playing fav-
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1521638737742020609?s=20&t=yV0lny_Z4RIwQB0jwvWnjQ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Strangest thing of the Rangers game was how gassed the Rangers ended up looking compared to the Pens come the OT periods. I guess maybe the old men know to save something in the tank or just have less raw speed but more endurance or something.

Letang for instance looked like he could have gone another 3 and been smiling

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Raanta down. Another goalie hit by the playoff curse. What's going on this year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Is Pastrnak's fist cursed now or what?

well it certainly doesn't seem to be helping him score any goals right now so maybe it has been turned to stone

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

aejix posted:

So good watching bruins playing all their favourite playoff hits like running goalies, loads of uncalled chopping and slashing between whistles etc, and having it not work for once

The best response to goonery remains scoring a bunch of goals on your opponent

and then slashing the tip of their finger off when no one is looking

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Evander Kane's working out pretty well for a guy with a massive gambling problem and domestic violence allegations that probably shouldn't have been working out well currently in the NHL, huh?

absolutely, I highly recommend the Oilers give him a massive contract immediately

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Letang is as equally a headcase as Malkin when things go poorly.

Sid sometimes too, but a little less so than the other two

They all play better when they're pissed off... up to a point.
Once they go past that point though they just start chopping people like they're playing Mutant League and that's not a game they can win

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gonna need a lot of depth scoring if they're gonna give up 5 goals

the upside to that is that at least 2 of those goals can be solved by not playing Michael Matheson so they just need to start there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah we might have vastly underestimated how much value Dumo was providing by keeping Matheson away from big minutes and tough matchups. Like Dumo looks really bad but part of that is that he's the LD1 going against the other team's best players, who invariably tear Matheson to shreds when they get a chance.

Would honestly rather see Pettersson getting the LD1 minutes, he may not be very good but at least he's not bad in an extremely exploitable way.

I really do wonder if the coaching/analytics staff sucks so much that they look at his output and go "yeah give that guy top duties" or if that level of analysis just doesn't exist or...

I guess like how can Mike Matheson be so awful and still be so highly regarded
how does this still happen in a "modern" league there are empirical ways to know he sucks and by most of those metrics he loving sucks

and even by the eyeball test he loving sucks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope Jarry's bionic foot gets into working order here soon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brandon Proust posted:

blob charts, displayed during the entirety of the game and updated live

the final evolution of glow puck

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1523491490563227648?s=20&t=0vMscUZ2oO7va_aIY-VZTg

For real if you’re the 6th highest-paid player in the league and your coach is saying this about you in the playoffs it’s time to consider retiring

The comments in that twitter thread make me think someone is getting a drat near free PPG center this summer (probably with some generous salary retention)

I get he's under-performing but unless he's meant to be scoring 5 goals and strapping on goalie pads I don't think he's the reason things are going poorly. A goalie putting up an .889 for the series is not the result of one player not having the heart of a true champion, that's huge systemic problems

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This warms my heart. Marchand... I will cheer for you for this series.

Mr. Kite posted:

Sorry everyone; Quick has decided to go into 2012 God mode. Thank you all for your participation, but the Kings are winning the Cup.
:crossarms:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

how do the oilers do it every year

It's because they opted to wear their terrible 3rd jerseys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah yeah, that too
There's usual business amorality and then there's tempting fate like that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Triple header game 7s on Saturday is uh pretty cool.

This league parity has gotten out of hand

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please retire Sid. :smith:

He apparently skated today so maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

That said if it is a concussion... I mean he's got nothing left to prove to anyone.
If Malkin and Letang aren't coming back maybe he ought to consider it.

That's a lot of compounding Ifs though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Worst outcome is they force Crosby, Rakell, and Jarry back early, all of whom get steamrolled and turn their minor injuries into the sort that make them questionable for next season
If 7 games is all they get, ah well.

It's a bit greedy to expect multiple cups from a franchise in your lifespan, let alone 4 from a single iteration
I would like to see them keep playing though, because they are so drat fun

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno all things considered I'm pretty well convinced that the Crosby Era ended this week and the Pens are headed straight into Suck Hard For Bedard next year.

I hear Crosby's going to be in the best shape of his life in 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Close your eyes and picture the idea that your team is an even older franchise, has won no cups, never really appears in the playoffs and has never had a player even half as good or entertaining as Ovechkin. That is the hell in which Sabres and Canucks fans live. Be thankful for 2018.

The Sedins at their height was great hockey to watch. The rest of the team... Eh, I take your point

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Crosbys practicing gonna play with a concussion and get hosed up

I sense your fear
https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1525504517839757315?s=20&t=10kP5GFLUOOG9ahOEa-Pww

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Through a sufficiently pissed/determined Crosby, all things are possible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Who’s finger is he chopping off tomorrow?

Fingers? They won't be so lucky...

He's gonna be out there breaking ankles. Possibly with sick dekes but either way

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sure all the rangers fans cheering on Trouba taking runs are legitimately very concerned for Crosby's health

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Homophobia won today. You hate to see it.

It won but I want to extend my thanks to the Bruins for reducing his lips to a ruin

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

In the NFL the preferred euphemism is "neck injury"

Or even more old timey, he just "got his bell rung"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The only thing that'd really bug me about the rangers winning the cup this year is them not managing to pull it off with Lundqvist

Otherwise it's whatever. They're fine for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blue pants Avs are starting to grow on me

it's at least a unique combination