Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

who's gettin this as their av LAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Reaves wasn't on the Rangers when DeAngelo was there.

drat I wonder what a possibly cause for enmity between two black players and an Italian guy from Jersey with this history might be:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
to be fair, the reason for him being suspended was 99% dropping gay slurs instead of racial slurs, but considering this dude is his dad:

https://twitter.com/DrewMacFarlane/status/1267657558350856192?s=20&t=vF1By3eFC7Vs-TQ0mUzGgw

i, uh, wouldn't be surprised if he's like the thousands of other New Jersey / Florida hockey guys who sound and act like that

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s especially weird because Gardiner hasn’t played a game this season and may never play a game again, it’s not exactly like he’s top of mind anyway

yeah he's been ate, look at the pic

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

No team coming off a 100+ point season where they made the playoffs is going to tank. A team with a face-of-the-franchise generational superstar like Crosby isn't going to blow it up because two other stars are UFAs. More likely, if Malkin and Letang leave, the Pens use that $30m in cap space to try to lure in Nazem Kadri, Filip Forsberg, John Klingberg, and comedy option Tony DeAngelo.

Tony D and Kadri would be great fits for them IMO, as would Filip. putting the shithead aspects side, I think Kadri/Forsberg/Tony, if they could get em, would be better than re-signing Malkin/Letang. could go into next season with:

guentzel-crosby-rust/rakell
mcginn-kadri-forsberg
blueger-carter-heinen

dumoulin - Tony D
matheson - Marino

although honestly Tony D is probably gonna cost more than Letang, so you could do the same thing with Letang. they need to trade Zucker, Kapenen, and one of their LDs. might as well go all in for one or two more years. basically, the Pens need to do their Mark Donk bullshit again and trade all the depth players they're paying a ton to.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

I gotta say, I loving missed Sutters post game interviews, he won 1-0 and he is just being antagonistic to these dumb questions

Eric Francis: Matthew Tkachuk getting involved with Raffl there, is that something you’d rather not see?

Sutter: I rather would see it. It’s the playoffs, Eric.

Sutter is back baby:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Pens-Rangers real fun. playoffs fun. should be an entertaining series. forgot how much I like playoff hockey when your team is in it.

both teams looked way too gassed for a loving game 1, even if it did go to triple OT.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
what's funny about Sully is that he was Torts' like, only assistant coach through his entire NYR run, and Torts would constantly say poo poo like "I have no idea why this guy isn't a head coach. It's insane. I don't need any other assistants. He absolutely should be a head coach.", and I thought for years he was just being a cool dude who's supporting his buddy, but he was actually just 100% right lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i like to mess with AsInHowe as much as the next guy. probably more than the next guy. but I do agree with him a bit. i'm kind of expecting it to be more prevalent at some point when you still have poo poo like:

https://twitter.com/bigjimmurray/status/1518632378360598530?s=20&t=8Ne7yR0oJuoNZSpDJI_dYw

now, I don't 100% think that's happening right now, even in the NBA. (except on the disallowed Kakko goal for God's team The New York Rangers that benefited Satan's team The Pittsburgh Penguins). but as AsInHowe said, the pressures for it to happen are much more, which makes me think at some point we will have a situation like Scott Foster in the NHL, and that will be very weird.

i don't know if anyone is tracking the referees/referee crews as it pertains to this, but if there's a stat in which an NHL ref had the losing team in the series be 19-2 and he had 7x the number of phone calls to a literal proven match-fixing referee as any other ref..........well, that would suck. and I think people would be upset, and I wouldn't blame them.

having said that, if they wanna have Scott Foster ref the Rangers game tonight....let's go

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
also I will note that there is a massive global conspiracy to fix MMA fights for sure. the secret is that whoever I bet for, the other person wins. this has been happening for years.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello NHL goons

I’ve been a “I should actually watch hockey” very, very casual fan for like 15 years or something. Got into it somewhat in the 2000s and learned the game via NHL 10 I think. I caught some Panthers vs Caps games recently and got hooked again. Tonight is the first night I’m skipping the NBA playoffs game in favor of hockey. I’m excited!

The teams I’ve followed are the Blues, Panthers and Lightning. Last two because I like to root for state teams. Being in a “non hockey market” makes it amusing to me. Family is from STL and my parents used to drink with the team in the 70s/80s. It owns that all my teams are pretty good apparently.

I didn’t really know anything about Tony D but I saw him high crosscheck (sorry if that’s the wrong term I’m learning!) a dude and then try to fight about it and was like “what the gently caress is wrong with this dipshit” and I’m glad that’s just an accepted thing lol

Anyway yeah if anyone has anything they think I should know or see or whatever to get me more into hockey I’d love the check it out. Or trash me for jumping in while all my teams are good lmao.

welcome friend. definitely root for whoever, but I would always recommend developing a crippling dependent relationship on one team.

cons: if that team is the Canucks, you could end up like ThinkTank. if that team is the Flyers, you end up like any of FAS (Flyers Argument Stadium[though some of that has to do with just being Philadelphian]). those are grim places to be for years on end if the team is awful. read Kafka's Before the Law short story if you want a more detailed synopsis. alternatively, you could end up like the Ottawa fans on here who rooted for their owner's death for years and celebrated it when it happened, and who now are probably secreting rooting for more death in that family.

point being is that you get to develop a mental illness that's particular to a specific franchise/city/fanbase, and that can be an interesting life experience. of the teams you picked, the Blues fans and Lightning fans on here were relatively long suffering (the Blues from perpetually being just-not-quite-good-enough and the Lightning from literally hiring Barry Melrose), but they've both recently won Cups. the Lightning fan(s) on here have morphed into excellent front-runner trolls who proudly argue for their team's cheating, so they've shifted well. it's a nice addition to the forums. the Blues fans had been suffering for about 50 years so they're still trying to figure it out. they're reverting a bit too much into suffering again, like they don't necessarily know how to handle a recent cup-winning team.

the Panthers would be my team if I were you. they're the highest-scoring team, they have a super fun roster, and they could go any number of ways. they could choke this year, fire their coach, and try and lock down into some awful defensive team, or they could choke this year, change nothing, and keep trying to run-and-gun. it will probably be a wild 4-5 years for them no matter what given their roster/goaltending/style.

pros: my team (and God's Team, as mentioned before) just made the playoffs again after 4-5 years of rebuilding, and friend, playoff hockey rules if you have that type of insane attachment most of this forum does. especially overtime playoff hockey. it's extremely tense and dramatic. it feels like it will never end. but if your team wins it, it's hard to overstate the pent-up catharsis. losing in triple-OT in the first round a week ago sucked, but I was at game 5 in New York in 2014 when we beat the Canadiens in the conference finals in overtime. it was so fun. i almost poo poo my pants in public and got a ton of beer spilled on me.

if you're looking for just general hockey content, this was posted recently and was a good read, an oral history of the 96-97 Red Wings. there's a lot of stuff like that on YouTube. SBNation/Beef History/Secret Base do pretty good hockey videos, including one on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIzNQydkBi0

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
listen, I loved Tony D when he was on the Rangers from a hockey standpoint, but if you're gonna sign that guy, you have to put up with him being called a loving racist. I'm sure Marchand truly doesn't care and is just using whatever he can to rile him up, so kudos for some A+ pest work, but that's incredibly stupid if they try to discourage that. everything is fair play on the ice except for actual racism/homophobia/bigotry

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Kawalimus posted:

The Capitals are the champions!!! Of blowing leads.

I can't watch the games these days but I can tell after looking at it they'll get blown out the next two and go out. Man except for 2018 this franchise is playoff poisoned.

good to see you back Kawalimus. the drive by gloom makes me feel seen

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
between Pittsburgh tomorrow night and Toronto + Edmonton on Saturday, there are going to be some absolutely wired vibes

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

that's cool. i'm a bit torn towards doing the "dress Nemeth but don't play him" thing again. it kind of saves Gallant from himself by:

-not playing Nemeth
-giving the kid line enough time (who honestly have been the most consistent play-controlling line in the series, which gives me lots of warm feelings for the future)
-even when he does play the fourth line, having one of our top-nine guys out there with him

but if Motte does play, then hopefully they actually keep Braun in and sit Nemeth and still don't overplay the 4th. it's also probably going to be a very intense game, so I hope he's up to speed.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm sure all the rangers fans cheering on Trouba taking runs are legitimately very concerned for Crosby's health

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm sure all the rangers fans cheering on Trouba taking runs are legitimately very concerned for Crosby's health

but really, I (and I think all of RAS) enjoy watching Sid a lot and never had any hate for him. Letang? sure, he's a bitch rear end to play against. Guentzel? sure, looks weird, gently caress him. Cooke/Kunitz/Ruutu/the rest of the shitheads they've employed the past, sure.

but Sid, Mario, Jagr, Kessel, and to a lesser extent Malkin (he's borderline) have always been okay. not even in the same universe as anyone on Philly/NJ/NYI.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

The "Crosby head snap" was it's whole own thing!

that 05-06 post-lockout year was an interesting transition. Crosby's first games against the Flyers were against Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje, and Chris Therien and the refs definitely let those guys welcome Crosby to the league. Would have been interesting to see McDavid's rep if the Flames had a similar trio a few years ago.

e:

Marklar posted:

Underestimating Malkin a bit there! Let’s not forget Hornqvist.

maybe for others, but me and Ginette Reno have prophesized for years that Malkin was the type to end up on the Rangers on an old guy deal like Jagr/Bure/Lindros/Fleury/St.Louis/Naslund/etc., so I've always held some hate in reserve just in case that happens. we do need a second-line center next year to play with Panarin, but I think he goes to the KHL before he does something like that. i don't give a poo poo about defense though, Geno. there's great home style food in Brighton Beach, too.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 14, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tony D having to anime-battle the guys in the Boston flag spear picture to advance, crying because he has to destroy something so close to his own heart

But then, a New Challenger appears on the horizon

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
watching Connor when he's on makes me think of the guy who said about some player (IIRC it was Orr) something about him needing to be in one league higher than everyone else

e: i am of course biased, but from a narrative standpoint, the Rangers and the Flames winning tomorrow would be great:

COL vs STL--young upstarts looking to make a run versus most of a core of A Team That's Done It

CAL vs EDM--Battle of Alberta

FLA vs TB--Battle of Florida

CAR vs NYR--If Andersen's still hurt, it's uhh team that's weak 5v5 with nasty goalie versus team that's insane 5v5 with questionable goalie. if Andersen's healthy, it's team that does everything better than other team except power play versus Chris and Jacob, You Know What To Do.

if it's EDM vs DAL, I guess it's "this might even be somehow worse than losing to Los Angeles if you lose here"

if it's CAR vs PIT, it's "please Sid for the love of God don't play, it's not worth it"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 15, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rangers gifted 2 goals tonight because ripping a players helmet off to create an odd man and all of a sudden we're going to call holding after letting all the hacks, whacks, holds, and interference go sure is totally on the up and up

brother you must be lost, you're in the "Playoffs" N/V

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You're a Spurs fan too?

try again kid :wave: :wave: :wave:

NY #1 as always love da Rangers let's go the Rangers

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Pens/Rangers series never had a very intense vibe despite Sidney’s brain, but RAS and PAS having the most posters remaining on this dead gay forum has built an intense new posting rivalry

It’s beautiful

honestly I remember generally having more insane feuds with Ottawa and Montreal (mainly because Stab is typically the Connor McDavid of awful playoff posters). i hope Ottawa gets good again and meets the Leafs in the second round. you guys have a lot of pent up energy and LAS is too morbid in the first round. i think a second rounder would be great entertainment

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

this is sad

it is, please pour one out for the poor cities that have 1/4th as many Major Sports Championships as The Greatest City In The World, New York City

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I am really happy for the back to back Cups because the officiating in that series really was slanted the Rangers' way and between that and the assault on Crosby I would have been lost in rage far worse than rex was tonight and would probably have gotten myself banned. As is, it sucked but they weren't gonna win the Cup anyway, I can cry into the two they already won (three actually though the third was a long time ago), life goes on.

i tried to be open-minded about this but the Pens had 4 more power-plays and had the two biggest decisions of the series go for them in critical times, both on calls that could have gone either way (Kakko and Guentzel). i don't think that was it. chance + having to play their third string was more the factor.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

oh man that's nice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

thehoodie posted:

I'm so excited for the Battle of Alberta

thinking of Hand Knit having to read the next two weeks of posts like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzoVSBSVwFU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

I don't care who wins the BOA I just want some players to have their careers ended

The Golden Man posted:

the oilers are going to wheel out raitsis ivanans to mumble and drool his way through the anthem

mennoknight posted:

This series could finally be the occasion we see Milan Lucic body check an edmonton oiler and when he's suspended we're bringing back brad mcrimmon

(dennis rodman crying as he won the defensive player of the year voice) I just wanted this so bad....

stab posted:

Whoa

Thats a badge of honor sir, although I'm a poo poo poster all season long tbh

you're okay in the regular season but inconsistent. you turn it up in the playoffs and get dialed in. Very Derrick Brassard style scouting report.

do we have any really rabid Florida fans? if not, we need an EBUG-style system for someone to go at Wonderllama and the rest of the Lightning fans for the next two weeks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 16, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

in the related tweets I saw this:

https://twitter.com/JaneGaudreau/status/1526081022231728129?s=20&t=TosaVNspHA-n9g6OnzFycg

and I'm gonna just Eklund-style "Gaudreau to NJ as a UFA E5" right now because that's the most New Jersey looking Mom I've ever seen in my life. he's gotta be heading home to either NJ or Philly this summer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Once again the SE resorts to being lovely about tickets. It’s a solid dick move from Carolina again.

i mean, have you seen our fans?

e: this guy's username isn't even referencing the NYCGuidoVoice account:

shao kahn voice: Outstanding.

2nd e: a rule of thumb that you can use for any transplants from the NYC area who moved south who was born past maybe 25 years ago is that they are likely to make Tony D's racism seem quaint, generally speaking

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

considering the broadcast said repeatedly that Sully is actually wrong, you'd think the journalist would try to clarify what the actual rule is, either by looking at the rulebook and/or phoning someone up at the league.

Ginette Reno posted:

Mods please change some Rangers fans name to Ultra Maga And Rangers

would love this as a gang tag

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I think I've seen enough to say the Oilers are going to win. most everyone in the media is counting them out. i think McDavid will go off this series. i think they're a very dangerous team with no expectations

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers played very well. should have finished a few, and the OT goal sucked, but if we can continue playing like that, I like our chances

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rangers have played extremely well and are unlucky to be down 2-0, a few different bounces and they could have been up 2-0. I dunno what it was about the Penguins that melted the Rangers' brains but they've given Carolina fits for long stretches.

The Rangers have the foundation of a dynasty in place. K'Andre is a beast and in another year or two they may have two of the five best defensemen in the world, plus an elite goalie, plus a world class scorer, plus several more good forwards. Whether they can actually turn it into a couple Cups rests on how they go about filling out the bottom half of the roster (plus the most important factor for all hockey teams, dumb luck) but man is the top end talent there.

i'm very happy with the way they've been playing. I think we have a good shot to even it up at home, but as you said, the future looks bright. K'Andre really needs to work on his in-zone defensive coverage and focus (I'm gonna mail him tapes of all the Lightning's huge dumb rear end defensemen doing interference 24/7 in these playoffs in front of the net), but he's really taken a step up this year. hopefully Schneider can grow to replace Trouba in a couple of years with him. it's a fun defense to watch. I think it would be even better if Lindgren and Fox weren't so obviously hurt.

the three big questions IMO for them are:

1) can they win it within the next 3-4 years, and can their forwards improve to take the spots of the older guys? igor's contract is up in 3 years, and I would imagine he will want to get mega-paid. panarin and trouba are up the year after, and Troubs will be 32 and Panarin 34. Kreider and Zibanejad are signed longer (and Goodrow lol), and they'll be 35, 33, and 33 when Panarin's contract comes up. that's a lot of money in older guys, although I think Kreider in particular will maintain a high level for the length of his contract. Zibanejad will need to have good wing support but will probably remain a good power play guy for awhile.

2) will the cap ever loving go up? if so, that will be really helpful.

3) can Drury not make Buchnevich-for-Blais or McDonagh-Miller-for-whoever type trades with all of the assets we have? between Kravstov, Lundkvist, Othmann, etc., turning those guys into contributors or assets would be nice. i used to be higher on trading Lafreniere+whatever for a center, but I think he's developing enough as an even-strength guy that I would honestly roll 3 strong lines and a very specialized 4th line, but I don't think Gallant has that style. I would hope next year that we basically do an 18-18-16-8 TOI deployment. but I doubt that we do.

e: also I have to say, and I will preface this by saying that those who know me know that I have a longstanding hatred of all Canadians and Canadian teams: Connor McDavid is very clearly the best player in the world at his peak, and it's not particularly close. that's with a lot of respect to Matthews, Makar, Shesterkin, whoever, they had great seasons. but I can't believe I'm watching him all the time I'm watching him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Please don't trade Othmann. That kids gonna be a stud.

yeah I'm pretty excited for him. Obviously should take any OHL over-ager season, but from (lightly) following him, it seems like he basically hard-carried Flint the whole year as captain with like 2x the goals and points of anybody else on his team, then scored the GWG in Game 7 of the first round OHL playoffs, then scored an OT goal in the second round. Now they're playing OHL regular season and playoffs points-leader + Stars draftee Wyatt Johnston, who has also had a nutty D+1 year playing on a line with big idiot D+2 Rangers prospect Will Cuylle.

his shot looks insane. hope he can play right wing!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mike Works posted:

The Kadri play was dirty enough based on his history that he deserves a suspension. Binnington is a whiny baby player, but goalies need to be protected; you can’t drive hard to the net and shove a defender in and risk injuring a guy.

Kadri was interviewed during the first intermission and he said he was pushed into the goalie which was just an outright lie. It was a garbage play.

gonna do my Elliotte Friedman impression and post 32 3 thoughts:

1) hard disagree. goalies are babies and that was just a good hard play.

2) the Girard hit was probably the hardest hit of the last 5-10 years since they started cracking down (somewhat lol) on headshots. having said that, I'm not sure how I feel about it. it was fully within the rules and what's expected in the playoffs, and Girard pretty clearly put himself in a terrible position and didn't protect himself at all. i've been bitching all playoffs about defenders doing crazy interference on the forecheck and going way outside their lane to clutch and grab the forechecker, but the NHL has allowed that, especially in the playoffs, since the 90s once Lindros entered the league. there's no way that they let up on that now. every GM in the league is going to point to that and say "we can't be having broken sternums". but you can't outlaw that hit since that's just a good forecheck, so the interference is here to stay IMO, which blows.

also it gave me an excuse to go look at the Lindros-Dackell hit and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRfnXMRE8Y

hell yeah. what a player. a bigger, more jacked Tom Wilson with All-Star skating and agility and skills and a massive chip on his shoulder. Thank loving God he's not playing now. they would have to start letting so much more stuff go than just interference.

3) I'm very impressed with what I saw out of Colorado--and especially Kadri--tonight. We knew they were skilled, but to absorb a hit like that, looked shellshocked, get scored on, but then come back and cripple a goalie and start winning the physical battle? Outstanding. That Girard hit could have snowballed, but it goes to show Kadri's maturity as a player that he can somehow manage to maim a guy while staying free of the suspension (and not even getting a penalty!). losing Girard hurts, but if they can keep this toughness up in addition to the skill, I think they remain the clear favorites.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

And boarding is officially a violent check into the boards from any direction, but if you want to find boarding ever called for a hit that wasn’t to the numbers good luck.

Nope. two things:

1) the NHL rulebook is notoriously written shittily to the point of comedy, so referencing it to describe how the game is actually played and/or called is pretty much always a losing endeavor. the best example of this is the rule of possession, which is hilariously written as:

the literal rulebook posted:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

which I'm sure if someone goes into the SAS archives I had to make this exact point like fifteen years ago when Janssen demolished Kaberle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10-3L4OjPPY

which according to the rulebook should be a legal hit! because possession isn't lost until someone else gets it, and Janssen hit him immediately after he lost it.

2) but even if you want to go to the rulebook, you got it wrong:

quote:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

anybody who's been taught to receive a check is taught:

1) don't duck, ever. train yourself out of the reflex to get small.
2) get close to the boards and use them as opposed to being where you can get slammed into them from a foot or two away
3) get tall so you don't absorb the principle point of contact to your noggin
4) disperse the impact across your whole body so that it's not all going to your now-broken sternum
5) protect yourself at all times instead of trying to make a 10% "better" play

and every defensemen, especially at the NHL level, knows:
6) know where the first forechecker is coming from before you even get to the puck

Girard literally did none of that. while the onus is on the forechecker to not hit a guy in a vulnerable situation, the hit that Barbashev did happens 50x a game and he can't have expected Girard to have the same level of hit avoidance as a Squirt. this is the NHL, not a recreational house league. "putting yourself in a vulnerable position" also means doing none of the stuff that you expect a professional hockey player to be able to do. which is why Bednar/Avs aren't + shouldn't be upset about it. it's an unfortunate play, but (john forslund voice) THAT'S HOCKEY BABY

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Lightning are incredibly well-coached and disciplined. I think they are the favorites for sure ahead of Canes/Rangers/Flames, and I think they're a pretty live dog against Colorado. if they play St. Louis it will kill hockey for the next few years, and this has been a fantastic season.

even if they don't start calling them for 90s Sabres style clutch and grabbing in front of the net, I think the Oilers are actually a good matchup against them. I think McDavid could spin around the outside enough and do well against their massive defense.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

correct. the video you linked is not a board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
in other news I think the Rangers need to play like they did tonight again in game 4. it was nice to give up a lot fewer shots but I feel like we weren't using our offensive talents on the breakout or rush.

we got outpossessed today, but I thought we had better chances and let Igor handle his stuff. i say we go with what got us to the dance. if we play a low event game, that's Carolina's type of party. our type of party is getting out possessed and owning on the rush and power play. LGR baby, love da Rangers