Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Here for the first round exit by the Wild.

Nah this team is better than those years they lost in the 2nd round to Chicago. Only this time it’ll be Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Agreed, that was one of the better regular season games I've seen in a long time.

I wonder if Saros is out long term.

I think he was maybe already a little sore going into the week having give up 6 to Tampa Bay. But if Rittich is playing that series it’s only going four games.

But there will be 34 fighting majors.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Cup winning acceptability ranking. This is a final and definitive list.

14. Minnesota Wild - no no no not them

That is the end of the list because it is not acceptable under any circumstances for the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup.

I feel honored that the hatred of the Northwest division is still alive.

Right there with you for Calgary and Edmonton, but Colorado is at the bottom too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Wes Walz extinguished the youthful spark of joy this sport once brought me.

Yes, but the jokes on Minnesota. Now we have to listen to Walz on the broadcast. Not a spoiler, but he's terrible at it. I know I give Leah Hextall a hard time, but Walz is so much worse and he doesn't even call the game.

At least we can agree that Edmonton is the worst.

heehee posted:

any canadian non-leafs fan that doesn't have the leafs dead last is actually a leafs fan. dumbass rankings with minnesota ? below boston?

I'll allow it from a Canucks fan. It makes much sense even if they did lose to Boston in 2011.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

This is what I find funny about the whole discussion on media coverage, I found network articles to be largely generic and aggravating even as a Leafs fan. I haven’t gone to the front page of Sportsnet or TSN for years in favour of team-specific sites, I only read articles from there if they’re linked into my feed and look interesting.

It’s not about the actual quality of the article, it’s about the other teams’ fans wanting better page placement when they’re doing really well. It’d be like opening up the the front page of ESPN and seeing more garbage about Chicago instead of the teams on the top of the division winning games. They’re so far out of it, give someone else some time. There’s this fixation on individuals or specific teams that means other impressive headlines get buried for the old teams even when they’re garbage.

It’s like a kid taking some new cool game to school and everyone fixates on the other kid that’s been bringing POGS to show and tell since 1993.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

I'll always remember Brown for going for a knee-on-knee and elbow-to-the-head at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibiT5DCeME

He missed on the elbow to the head, but he sure did try for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Absolute coward, clown poo poo.

At least Kulikov is back taking shifts, but Foligno won’t be. I doubt Colorado will miss McDermid, but that was a very bad hit and took only the knee and I won’t be surprised unless he doesn’t get games off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

Avs will be fully healthy for the first time this season for Game 1, but Nashville is the team that makes me most worried about that staying the case as Nashville lays 30.1 hits per game (1st) compared to the Avs 21.5 hits per game (24th). Then again that's why Nashville averages over 12 minutes 30 seconds of PIM per game (1st) compared to Avs 9 minutes (12th), so maybe the Avs will get some advantages from powerplays.

Honestly, after last night I’m sure the Avs have a couple guys that will be fine to injure some Predators just fine. That was some nasty, but watching it back I’m less surprised that this is the result.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1520467491063050242?s=21&t=6jbkZCfOekQ2jvk7rk0i7A

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

With all the first round games being on ESPN (and TBS), are those networks actually producing the broadcasts for all the games? Or are they just rebroadcasting the RSN feeds until the second (or third?) round?

EDIT: And I assume, just like with NHL.tv, the cord cutters are screwed and none of this will be on ESPN+?

Cord cutters need ESPN subs to get all the games that weren’t on the RSNs anyway. TNT games you get screwed on though and I’m loathe to trade in the RSN announcers for the not good ones on the national channels regardless. At least Doc did a great job up until this point, but there’s no great national announcer at the moment.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Agreed. If anyone is qualified to call a game without mispronouncing a name, it’s Arlo. I don’t think he’s energetic enough for calling hockey, but he’s very good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

the blues are going to live or die by how well husso performs. the offense is good enough to cancel out the bad defense, but it's a wash. if the refs call the series tight they'll have an edge though

I really hope they don't call it too tight. It'll be a really boring series with the boxes loaded up all night. If they're calling it like playoff hockey every other year I think both teams will have fun with that edge. I'm not sure how quickly Minnesota will solve Husso, but I'm willing to bet he'll steal a game or two. Minnesota has had plenty of PK practice the last two weeks though, so it'll be interesting to see with a full roster how this goes.

Good luck, have fun. It's going to be a series with two really well matched teams.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If my team were playing the Blues I'd be hoping yhey call it super tight, no team thrives on uncalled holding and interference as much as the Blues do except maybe the Flames.

Minnesota is great 5v5. Power play is decent some weeks. Penalty kill is not good. The Blues have a good PP and a leaky D 5v5.

Minnesota has thrived on uncalled holding and attempted interference this year because most of the time they have puck support or can straight up skate through the guy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

Yeah, I'm not reading more into this than he got fallen on and responded with frustration to the same part that the contact was. That's a fine though definitely.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah basically

I hate it, but history has shown you can murder a man on the ice in the playoffs and get away with it

Unless I'm cheering for someone, in which case the league presses the "make random shlub sad" button

I mean, Perron stuck his finger in Hartman's eye while roughing him into the bench. But they called the penalty and Hartman came back out a few minutes later. It wasn't one sided all night or anything, but it was over the line enough the Spurgeon's going to get a fine. Buchnevich got up and skated away, so there won't be any games missed for anyone. Honestly, except for that it just felt like a playoff hockey game between two teams in the Central division. Which is nice provided it stays closer to the line.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

It will be very funny when Clifford gets a longer suspension than Spurgeon.

Spurgeon got a $5k fine as everyone that’s not a Blues fan expected. Compared to most other things this year it’s not particularly surprising

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress who thought this was a good idea

https://twitter.com/andyslater/status/1521607378172620800?s=21&t=8Hzib0Qibuv2wF60Rbp1lQ

Other than me, a previous vuvuzela owner, of course. Holy poo poo I can’t wait for the arena to get full of Florida drunks blasting these things all game.

That's amazing. I approve wholeheartedly. This is the best one of these ever and I hope they're so loud they drown out the commentary.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

Also, Kadri has vastly cleaned up his game, his reputation is a bit undeserved at this point, imo.

Until he can make it through an entire playoff season without getting suspended, it’s still deserved. I’d agree that he’s not throwing cheap shots during the season, but he has to earn a new rep in the playoffs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
He’s not a thug, I’m just convinced he loses where the line is during the playoffs. He got suspended for 8 games just last year. He needs to make it through the playoffs without taking a stupid suspension before he gets to shake that rep.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

He did it through 2 entire playoff series in 2020

Fair, but he’s been suspended as much as Wilson hasn’t he? 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, and 2021 are the years I can find him taking a suspension. I can find 5 suspensions for Wilson since 2013. So like all the others, he’s going to have to work off that rep for a bit longer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

That 8 game suspension was bullshit and everyone in SAS was in agreement. He absolutely deserved discipline for what he did but 8 games was horseshit compared to what other players were getting away with (what did Scheifele get for trying to kill somebody? Not an 8 game suspension)

8 games was long, but a suspension still warranted. His reputation and history definitely made it longer even if they say it didn’t. He’s not in the same book as the goons from the 00’s, but he’s about as close as you get to repeat offender in the last decade. This is why I’m saying he needs to really put in the work to get rid of the rep. Once you have it, it really sticks.

Scheifele definitely should have gotten 10 games easy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

he's got 7 inches and a good 30 lbs on him

You're describing 95% of the league. Marchand is just a poo poo heal and he's far too good at it.

Boston has been mediocre so far, and they look like a team unprepared to be in the playoffs. Which is quite hilarious, but I'd prefer if they at least did the league a favor and knocked out Carolina before turning into a pumpkin.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah they're the same person... Creed seems to pretty good NHL coach along with the acting chops.

They honestly seem to have a similar personality in the interviews too. It's uncanny and awesome.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Is that the incentive though? Or are teams trying to avoid tests because they're carrying covid cases?

They’re not testing until there are symptoms in the NHL, so I’m sure they don’t want to take the risk of losing someone when they can just spend some money and avoid the potential issue or losing someone for a week to protocol. If you don’t test everyone, you can’t lose anyone to a positive test.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

hockey players are fuckin idiots

He quite possibly didn’t even know it was broken until he took his skate off after the game.

But also yes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

i'm less concerned with the blues losing and more concerned that every game in the series so far has really sucked

I don't know, the last two have been pretty good. Lots of scoring and action. The Blues defense is just being exposed and Minnesota's PK has gotten a little better.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

drat, outside of the Flames/Stars series and a couple other games this first round is a real shooting gallery. In the predictions thread I thought people were having a laugh with saying so many goals will be scored but no, already over 50 goals and we're only half-way through round 1

I figured around 7 goals per game, but then subtracted 20 for Calgary and Dallas! It's been closer than I expected and makes it a lot of fun to watch games that I don't have a horse in.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

I loving HATE Matthew Tkachuk. I know people say they'd love to have him on their team, well, you can certainly have the guy.

Please keep him. He's not worth the trouble.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Hard to get away with poking someone in the face with the cameras inside the net these days.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Made it even better, honestly

Agreed. I enjoyed the replays. All six of them from Suter burying him into the net and Benn making sure he got his money's worth.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Avs are probably unstoppable as long as JMFJ stays safely in the press box.

And they probably need Kuemper too. Francouz is a fairly big step down.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not so sure. The Avs make goalies look good (at least when the aforementioned JMFJ isn't on the ice), Francouz probably isn't as big a downgrade as commonly believed.

It would be a fairly noticeable difference against Minnesota or St Louis. No one's really expecting Nashville to turn this around, so that's where the worry would be. Could probably play Francouz to finish this series, but he's not nearly as good as Kuemper.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

So if Dallas beats Calgary, will they face the Avs in round 2? Or will they face LA/Edmonton? I kind of forget how the seeding works now that we have the divisions back

They’d play LA/Edmonton and stay in that division side of things.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/iancmclaren/status/1523724110039298051?s=20&t=kNGW-gMZnK4cNvcb1z8qlw

The worst thing Tony D ever did was make me appreciate Marchand's antics one time, and also possibly sympathize with Bruins fans if the NHL actually does anything about it

Hard to do something when he’s just stating a well known fact. It’s not like he flipped off a well known rear end in a top hat and lovely person on broadcast. But even that kind of back fired on the league.

If they even fine him they need to fine nearly every single player out there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
This is extremely lame and the NHL needs to actually regulate this poo poo. Season tickets get first purchase.

Sell your tickets losers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Nashville does that too, at least when against regional rivals. It's sad.

The only places I hear doing this are places in the SE US where they worry so much about having their own fans there, but then you just have rinks with empty seats in the playoffs looking exactly like you'd expect them to look in preseason.

But yet the owners are so worried about their bottom line being impacted by empty seats the last two years. But won't sell tickets now? Just doesn't make sense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Kaprizov is the best player on the ice but the rest of the Wild haven't been particularly great

The Gaudreau-Fiala-Boldy line may as well not even have dressed for as much as they’re doing this series. It’s bad when the fourth line is more noticeable in a series, but they’ve been okay even. Lots of D zone starts to winning O zone face offs.

Blues PP is just lethal and Tarasenko was great last night.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did not see Frederick Gaudreau becoming a top 6 player at age 29

Yeah. Least concerned about Gaudreau. It’s Fiala and to an extent Boldy who are not pulling it. You can forgive Boldy a little as a rookie for having some off games and shifts, but Fiala has had 5 of them now in a row, but he’s not lacking in opportunities.

Sure I’d want the GREEF line to score more, but they’re mostly doing their job of playing shut down.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

When Fiala was with the Preds he was king of “that was a great scoring chance how did he not score?”

This year looking at the numbers it’s like “oh he finally got over the hump.” Maybe he is still streaky.

He was still streaky in the middle of the season, but fine. Everyone has some bad weeks. He's definitely hit another dry patch though, and it's really a drag. The pucks he fires that aren't hitting the net are getting turned over and sent right out of the zone because they're chasing and trying to break their lovely streak. I was finally starting to warm to him after the lovely nature and timing of the Granlund-Fiala trade, but it's the playoffs and it's not time for it. Someone is still going to pay him big money next year, but I don't think it's going to be Minnesota. Guerin doesn't seem the type for being very patient.

Kaprizov is a game breaker at least. But the team shouldn't be getting hung out by the 2nd line being so lovely right now. I'm not even super annoyed with MAF. Rebound control isn't much different than during the season, but the D is giving up too many chances that they weren't in the regular season and they seem a step behind getting to their spaces in their coverage.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So the exact same goalie he's been for 90% of his career?

Yeah, I don't think anyone in Minnesota is particularly surprised by how Fleury is playing. Mostly just surprised at the D zone not picking up the 2nd chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, last game at least MAF is not the reason the Wild lost.

I can only think of one to two goals this post season that I’d blame on MAF alone. He’s not been the problem. His rebound control could be a little better on the PK, but it’s as much the PK that is not good.