Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So if you’re the Rangers, do you want to play the Penguins or the Caps in round 1? Cause the math could work out so that the final game of the season on Friday between the Caps/Rangers decides their opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m imagining Milan Lucic tripping Connor McDavid along the boards and then just straight-up sitting on him for 2 full minutes while the Flames complete a line change and score, with the official emphatically gesturing good goal while garbage rains down from the seats

This is poetry

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Boy the Caps sure looked like a playoff bound team last night! I’m sure they just phoned it in cause they’re saving their energy for the real games that matter! It’s no way indicative of their upcoming playoff chances!

:shepface:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps have to beat the Rangers in regulation & Pittsburgh has to lose in order to get a Caps/Rangers matchup.

If Pittsburgh gets any points tonight then they get the Rangers instead and the Caps get the Cats.

If the Caps lose, they get the Cats regardless if Pittsburg wins or loses.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Trivia time! Who was in net for Columbus when the Caps played them in round 1 back in 2018? Columbus was up in the series 2-0, game three went to double overtime and the Caps pulled out the victory and would go on to sweep Columbus right on out the door.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For the Caps he started those first two games then Holtby took over and entered Holtbeast mode all the way to a cup. But who was in net for Columbus?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tonight, the Caps will look good in the first period, maybe even into the second. Heck they might even get a 1 goal lead at some point. But then Vanacek or Samsonov will let in a softy and the floodgates will open. Caps lose 5-1.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1521517538684854274

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That was vintage 2018 Cup winning run Caps hockey, holy poo poo what a fantastic third period! Keep that poo poo up Vanacek!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol NY/Pitt game still going on and I get to go to bed instead. Enjoy the cocaine helicopter jump double overtime, kinda glad the Caps are playing Florida right now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1521913285062234112?s=20&t=yVJ2XlXnVQFMitsALlYZSg

He’s not coming back at all for this playoffs and honestly may not be back next year either but this is great to see.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tom Wilson didn’t skate this morning and the Caps called up Brett Leason. Hathaway up to the third line.

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1522237752393273348?s=20&t=KAW1Dvo0alh_MZfCHoke-g

Tom is still a game time decision but he’s probably out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tom Wilson confirmed to be out tonight.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

They’re gonna get let down by their goaltending again OP

I’m ready for some playoff Samsonov flailing, gently caress it, put his rear end in and let’s see what happens!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can’t believe Washington didn’t do anything about their goaltending. Overpay for someone! I don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or prospects who aren’t going to contribute for a few years! They are going to suck as soon as next year so what’s the point in hoarding mediocre assets?

The series isn’t over but I have a sinking feeling that the skaters are going to play well again in Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a stinker like Vanecek did last night and then they just get deflated and give up.

They couldn’t afford anybody cause they just did Ovi’s contract and they did Oshie and Backstrom the previous year. Between them, John Carlson, and Kuznetsov, there’s no money for a good veteran goalie unless one of those gets traded. When John was sucking it up earlier this year I’d advocated for him to get traded but he must know where Ted Leonsis buries his bodies.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1523018245946548230?s=20&t=Uj42B6Trw3XsUqhF-WYT9g

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is how not to play against the Caps while they’re on the power play.

https://twitter.com/Steve_Dangle/status/1523023688697753601?s=20&t=S6fl1s2BwHhvcbVSfPXu2A

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean, Caps can still blow this series but lol at all the Panthers in five experts. Love you Torts!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get being upset about the Capitals performance last night, but on the other hand, they've already won double the number of games I thought they would. And Samsonov looks like the goalie he's been touted to be. Small sample size blah blah blah

This and they were a few inches away from an empty net game winner. poo poo happens in playoff hockey, I can accept this loss. Love that Samsonov is playing lights out finally but I had already mentally prepared myself for him to get traded this offseason. gently caress me we may have another year of the Sammy/Vanacek train ride. If it looks like Samsonov is staying and I’m Vanacek’s agent? I’m demanding a trade. It does neither of them any good to remain on the same team.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

I look at it the opposite way. If FL is up 2 or 3 games to none(or even 0-0 in this years context) and you lose this way its one thing. But when you're up in the series and in the game that late and blow it in that fashion its devastating. Theres no excuse or silver lining.

We won a cup in 2018. Another cup would be awesome but all I really wanna do is watch Ovi slap dingers and chase down Gretzky’s record till the inevitable “blow it all up rebuild” when Ovi hangs up the skates.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That is nonsense. Having the ability to take a couple games from a very likely cup contender is absolutely better than getting swept

Any team that wins the President’s trophy is automatically not a cup contender.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fermun posted:

Jesus, that's brutal, should be a $5,000 fine, the maximum allowable under the CBA.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really want Caps/Cats and Pens/Rags to both go to game seven and then for the Caps/Pens to both advance. They have to meet up in round three, it’s been way too long without a Caps/Pens playoff series!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I was gonna make a joke about Crosby but honestly it’s not even funny anymore. He’s going to be so hosed up later in life because of all these concussions and I can’t even joke or laugh about it anymore. It’s just hosed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, well done Cats, I’ll be cheering you on as I gently caress off to the loser thread.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How the gently caress does a playoff hockey game have 15 loving goals in a single game? I think whole series get decided with less than that!
:catstare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol why is this not in gif form. It could be the hockey equivalent of yankeesfans.gif

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I appreciate your commitment to nihilism, but I am for sure not an Oilers fan. I just wanna understand the rules.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Vasy looked incredibly rusty lol

I'm happy if either team wins tbh

Can they both lose?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are there any sports journalist hot takes yet that McDavid is a playoff choker and fraud? Inject that poo poo right into my veins when they get written.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m ready for the Tampa Bay Lightning to lose and therefore have never won a real Stanley Cup.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m ready for the Tampa Bay Lightning to lose and therefore have never won a real Stanley Cup.

Except that time in 2004 which doesn’t count cause I didn’t know about it till I googled later.

(Lmao with Torts no less!)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

My favorite 300lb player is Max Bouffard, who played goalie for five years and is listed at 245lbs, then got axed from the show and started hammering slices, and later played forward two years later at 300lbs.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/61134/max-bouffard

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/152682/max-bouffard

He went on to play JJ Frankie JJ in Letterkenny/Shoresy.

Fat guys playing hockey owns.

https://i.imgur.com/OQl5cs7.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol Burakovski with the game winner in overtime. He did that too for the Caps against the Lightning in game seven to send us to the Cup finals in 2018. Everybody wants Bura off their team till he scores a clutch goal against the Lightning when it matters most.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Simplex posted:

I would buy that both Rantanen and Burakovsky were playing through injuries, because they were both much better last night than they had been playing. With Burakovsky though, it seems like he's always kind of been streaky like that.

The Caps had no room on the roster for a streaky guy, that’s why we traded him. Too many other superstars like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Wilson, etc. Bura was going to be due for a new contract and it wasn’t going to be worth it for the Caps at the time. But when he is locked in, he is a top six player and can amaze with his talent.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Burakovsky is a player who needs a lot of space to use his shot, which is otherwise quite good. This is a lot more apt to happen during the regular season than the playoffs. He's pretty bad at forechecking, board battles and lots of other playoff things.

Like this bounce was super, super fortunate in that it give Nichuskin just enough time and Bura just enough space. Hedman gets a stick on that 99 times out of 100, but he had just blocked the shot.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1537272728427778048

e: I guess you could say a lot of Caps players are also "very reliable regular season players who otherwise stink in the playoffs except that one time."

Seen him whiff, chunk, or shoot wide that one-timer so many times on the Caps. But then he’ll go and make a clutch goal like that and make you question why you wanted to trade him in the first place. The joys of being a hockey fan.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress the Lightning, I hope the Avs get another 5 on 3 in game 2.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Colorado just wanted the Cup presentation in the home stadium.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LMAO get hosed Tampa, go Avs!

But seriously if it was the Avs who lost because of a borderline too many men, I’d be loving pissed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Will there be a Cup win tonight?