Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

a lot of the reporting around obesity in the us is just pure pseudo science, a lot of studies start with the conclusion that looking like a greek statue = health and then work backwards from there with a level of subjugating math to the need of ideology that even a chicago school economist would describe as heavy-handed

Platystemon posted:

Palm oil has fatty acids with longer chain lengths and a high proportion of them are unsaturated.

this is cool and good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xaris posted:

lol wtf is this poo poo

theres's a big difference between some mythological greek and what ppl used to look like

its a sociological (lots of work, car culture, fear of walking, tons of sugar in everything, cheap processed junk being easier than alternatives when you work all the time, etc.) and pollution problem (microplastics, phtlates and other edcs), not pseudo-science.

i'm sayin that guys like Adolphe Quetelet and Ancel Keys were fuckin weird-rear end cranks

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/OrwellNGoode/status/1520839934764064774

i think these types of people fit right in with the nut and seed oil guys

love to define my gender as "apocalyptic depression"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've been thinking about this for days

There's something so loving galaxy brain about proposing that agriculture and city building are done by different civilizations that I can't stop thinking about what is going through this guy's head, like what does he think romans ate

(I mean obviously he thinks they ate factory-farmed beef for every meal cuz he's a reactionary idiot but it's so funny to think about)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think you should just laugh at the stupid posts the trad/greek avatar people post on twitter and not try to analyze anything beyond that

i thought the lol's were clearly implied

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't know that ancient rome is the society we really want to emulate but I do think it could have been improved with weed

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cowboy beepboop posted:

yeah weighing your food and meticulously tracking everything you eat is extreme. do you think humans even 50 years ago needed to do that to be healthy?

i'm p sure we're overall healthier today than back when "a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of vodka" was considered a healthy lunch

life expectancy was 8 years shorter in 1972 lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cowboy beepboop posted:

americans ... in the 20s and 30s
healthy

[citation needed]

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

Nixtamalization

I just wanted to say that. It’s a good word.

genuinely very funny that there were literal centuries where non-native people were like, "too good" or some poo poo to do nixtamalization

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grevling posted:

Was it really that or did they just not figure it out? It seems like a counter-intuitive thing to do.

they knew the mexican native groups e.g. nahua did it (note that the word itself looks pretty nahua) but it was dismissed by non-native groups as just a superstitious ritual rather than y'know chemically significant

this is p funny to me because its kind of hard to imagine any use of calcium hydroxide that isn't chemically significant, plus europeans knew how to like make pretzels and traditional european laundry is done with ash so they knew that caustic solutions can do some poo poo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bitmap posted:

gonna nut my seed oil over your dad

https://nitter.net/reallytanman/status/1523125149456760832#m

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://nitter.net/jdcmedlock/status/1536772502025687040#m

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

canola's p good for popcorn but i've gone over to using chili oil

also i'm not going to loving give up peanut or sesame oil no fuckin way

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

indigi posted:

I found out recently (this week) you aren’t supposed to do this but the thing I read didn’t say what you are supposed to do so I’m gonna keep dumping that poo poo I guess

you put it in a jar or something and then put it in the garbage

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Business Gorillas posted:

All of the "I will not inject poison into my body" posts, for whatever reason, don't say anything about anything that would prevent you from staring at a computer screen looking at anime titties all day

this one says "no plastics" so unless they're getting all their hentai in hardcopy they're gonna have trouble

its a pretty funny list because like a lot of it is just stuff that tons of people put on their new years resolution anyway (no vaping or whatever), a lot of it is stuff that seems almost tautologically easy (i've never really had any trouble avoiding radium eyeliner), and then of course "no plastics or receipts," stuff that's just asinine and seemingly impossible to avoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

They're eating mineral oils