Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Diary posting Umineko is essential to the experience. Good to see there's a thread to encourage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

asking this one more time because I have increasingly convinced myself that A) this is actually the case and B) Battler actually straight-up mentions it and I forgot?

The game just outright goes through the whole puzzle and solution eventually so just keep reading.

It's also nearly impossible to solve by yourself (nearly imposible because someone did manage to do it in a forum when Umineko was being published but it was dismissed as being ridiculous by any right thinking person).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

I know, I know, but as long as I'm re-reading up to 7 anyway and the characters keep discussing it I'm going to poke at it like an old scab anyway. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track interpreting that part at all.

No, there's no keypad that relates to the sacrifice numbers in the epitaph.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

LordMune posted:

To reward Rockman's entertaining theoryposting by being tremendously unhelpful: without love, it cannot be seen.

lol we've been saying that for awhile

Rockman Reserve posted:

I still have no freaking idea what "it can only be seen with love" means.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 15, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Put this in the OP
https://twitter.com/badrandom404/status/1549116053233537026

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 20, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao

buddy you just gotta look with love

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nyaawn posted:

I was wondering why this thread was being so quiet but I guess I accidentally unfavorited it

Oope

Megathread culture strikes again

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

E: Beatrice is a carbon monoxide detector and it was Battler's job to remember to change the battery, but he forgot after six years, and everyone died. :colbert:

Honestly, this is one of your better guesses.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

but I wanna solve the murders :qq:

please, we are begging you, look with love instead

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Gotta turn that into a Look With Love relationship

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Sounds like someone is ready for some Flo

spoiler tag that stuff in the Diary thread

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

I have some thoughts (and lingering questions) and am wondering if I should just power through to the end first.

This is the optimal way just read and comment as you go along. Read a guide if you want to solve the puzzle elements you'll know when they happen

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 19, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

preparing for my first read of Umineko by doing the most logical thing, which is of course first reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

and actually I've already finished it because I read the entire thing in a single sitting, I could not put it down, holy poo poo it was fantastic! I read a lot of stuff but mystery is one of those genres I don't really pay attention to (thus why I wanted to brush up before Umineko) and was really blown away

turns out of the best selling and most beloved books of all time is pretty good

If you want further reading to fully appreciate the murder mystery aspects of Umineko. I highly recommend reading up on the New Orthodox movement in Japanese mystery writing and its break from the Social School (Shakai-ha)

This article offers a good précis:
https://crimereads.com/the-honkaku-and-shin-honkaku-mysteries-of-seishi-yokomizo/

Of the formative works of the New Orthodox movement, The Decagon House Murders and The Tokyo Zodiac Mysteries are the ones to read in terms of Umineko.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

It really is very similar to the feeling of playing mystery game or VN. the Decagon House itself has a very Zero Escape feel to it lol

Yeah, the line of influence from Decagon House is pretty much a straight line to the original ADV games and then to every other mystery VN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOtv-J7tOI