Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hirayuki posted:

This all feels like the kind of stuff the tutorial taught me to do in Electronic Arts's Adventure Construction Set back in the mid-'80s. It was and is extremely cool the kinds of things you can accomplish with workarounds, even if I got bored with it too quickly to make much with it.

Oh god, I had that on my C64 way back then. So much fun. So many wacky kludges and workarounds to get things the way I wanted....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/JLHGameArt/status/1539517689613410306

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I'm in the SA ARMA 3 group, and I'm working on building missions. The mission I'm currently building involves destroying some resources (Specifically, a server full of NFTs). The problem is, the server prop is indestructible, or at least does not blow up when a demolition charge explodes on it or it's shot with an RPG.

The workaround I currently have in mind is to place an invisible rabbit with no AI on top of the server, and run a script to delete the servers and complete the objective when it detects the rabbit is dead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

congrats on your promotion

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Crosspost from the glitch thread

Elfface posted:

Probably already known, but...

Today I learned that everyone in the original Half Life is that guy from Police Academy/Spaceballs who does sound effects. The game only allowed certain types of thing to make noises, and inanimate objects were not among them.

Every time a security guard presses a button and it goes 'beep', the guard is saying 'beep'. Ordinarily, just a funny quirk. It doesn't matter what process creates the sound so long as it sounds right to the player.

However, Half Life also had a simple lip-flap script to make NPCs animate when they're talking, and though they do their best to hide it by having them lean into the panels, this script is still running for sound effects.

This even applies to Gordon's model if you force 3rd person. When he fires a shotgun, he's yelling "blam". When he recharges his suit, he's saying "Nyeeeeowwww bleephmmmm bleephmmm". When the suit says "Welcome to the HEV Mk4 Protective System" Gordon's mouth is moving.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
From my vague memories of working with hammer back in the day, you could easily just make an invisible speaker thinger wherever to play arbitrary sounds on trigger or constant loop, either globally or from their position.

But NPC's did have some odd sound effects tied to them, for things that were aligned to specific animations (for syncing reasons I assume), like pressing buttons and such, and yep, that triggers the lipflaps in goldsrc.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Reminds me of the Quake 2 multiplayer days. The Quad Damage respawned after 2 minutes and it was useful for you and your team to know the exact timing (to get it for yourself, and to deny it from the other team). So we had a 2 minute long custom sound we manually triggered whenever we picked it up. It was 110 seconds of silence followed by a "Quad respawning in 10 seconds... " voiceover.

Also, there was the story about "Horses inside players in Ultimate Online". TLDR: Your backpack's contents was stored as a hack; it was a separate map with all your stuff in it (so they could easily position things when they displayed the contents). When they added support for riding horses, they added your horse to the backpack and added another hack so you didn't see it. But your horse would wander around the backpack's "map" eating your items and wandering into out of bounds areas.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dareon posted:

So I'm in the SA ARMA 3 group, and I'm working on building missions. The mission I'm currently building involves destroying some resources (Specifically, a server full of NFTs). The problem is, the server prop is indestructible, or at least does not blow up when a demolition charge explodes on it or it's shot with an RPG.

The workaround I currently have in mind is to place an invisible rabbit with no AI on top of the server, and run a script to delete the servers and complete the objective when it detects the rabbit is dead.

Also guilty of the same thing, but kind of in reverse. In one of my missions, I got lazy. Instead of coding variables that are edited when an objective is completed (and figuring out how locality and Join In Progress players are handled), I instead hid a bunch of statues in a house. When an objective is completed it deletes a statue. When none of the statues are left the mission ends :pseudo:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

minato posted:

Also, there was the story about "Horses inside players in Ultimate Online". TLDR: Your backpack's contents was stored as a hack; it was a separate map with all your stuff in it (so they could easily position things when they displayed the contents). When they added support for riding horses, they added your horse to the backpack and added another hack so you didn't see it. But your horse would wander around the backpack's "map" eating your items and wandering into out of bounds areas.

Somewhere, Mike Pence is furiously erect and doesn't know why

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

this was actually very common back in that era since real-time lighting was still in its infancy on the PSX and N64. I wrote a while back in the gamedev thread about how Banjo-Kazooie achieves crisp and clear hard shadows on the N64 using vertex colors as well:

Your Computer posted:

Rusty Bucket Bay in Banjo-Kazooie has one of my favorite examples of this, it has some quite dramatic shadows that look really impressive for the system it's on

but if you disable the vertex colors...

and a look at the geometry shows that they literally modelled in the shadows and used vertex coloring to darken the faces

really, a lot of this is less "workarounds" and more "game dev" :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dareon posted:

My man

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Dareon posted:

I did a bit of stuff in the editor for ArmA 2 so it might not apply anymore, but could you maybe give the server an interaction menu ("set charges" or something), trigger an explosion after a short delay (I would add a visible countdown for players to leave the area/room, but I don't know how sadistic you are :) ), then mark the objective as completed? The invisible rabbit is a perfectly fine workaround though, IMO. I think they did something like that for World of Warcraft in the early days, for completing quests that weren't "kill thing," because Warcraft really only allowed for objectives that were "kill thing."

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Jun 24, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RatHat posted:

Crosspost from the glitch thread

That's hilarious

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/1540092112380780545?s=21&t=YoX3bgd4gpc2XFqU3oPznA

quote:

Perhaps the wildest one was in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, where there was one random animal that controlled a planet, basically.

“All global quest variables on a certain planet were stored on an untargetable ambient creature,” said Zoeller. “Turns out AOE effects could still acquire the creature and kill it, breaking your game if you just happen to kill the right ambient creature.”

Sorry, your game broke because you killed the God Animal of Naboo. Video games are amazing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Similar to your quote, the Pope in Crusader Kings 2 has a lot of bookkeeping events fire through him, because he's a character that's always guaranteed to exist. Even if Catholicism is reduced to a minor heresy and he's just loitering about some random court, there will always be a Pope. Since the events are tied to the title and not the person, assassinating him doesn't particularly interrupt the flow of the game any more than every single Greek ruler evaluating everyone in the world to see if they can be castrated every second.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fallout: New Vegas crashes when you enter the Vegas Strip if there is no one wearing a cowboy hat. The unofficial patch added an immortal NPC wearing a cowboy hat standing in the corner.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chamale posted:

Fallout: New Vegas crashes when you enter the Vegas Strip if there is no one wearing a cowboy hat. The unofficial patch added an immortal NPC wearing a cowboy hat standing in the corner.

lmao

I tried searching for an explanation, but couldn't find anywhere that tells why this happens, just how to fix it (buy an old cowboy hat from the crimson caravan outside the strip). I assume there's a quest trigger or script that depends on a hat existing in the area?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the yee-halting problem :yeeclaw:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao

I tried searching for an explanation, but couldn't find anywhere that tells why this happens, just how to fix it (buy an old cowboy hat from the crimson caravan outside the strip). I assume there's a quest trigger or script that depends on a hat existing in the area?

Yeah, the explanation I found is that the issue comes from completing the quest where Francine asks you to kill Caleb McCaffery and return his hat as proof. No clue what specific coding mishap causes the game to crash after that point, though. Maybe there's a check on zone load to make sure a cowboy hat has loaded in so that the quest is do-able, without taking into account whether the quest has already been completed or not?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Paper Tiger posted:

Yeah, the explanation I found is that the issue comes from completing the quest where Francine asks you to kill Caleb McCaffery and return his hat as proof. No clue what specific coding mishap causes the game to crash after that point, though. Maybe there's a check on zone load to make sure a cowboy hat has loaded in so that the quest is do-able, without taking into account whether the quest has already been completed or not?

I would theorize that the model data is tied to models/characters that are in the scene, and the streaming system deals with them (probably a prebuilt list for world cells) However, the plot scripting system is it's own beast, and the script designers just references stuff by IDs, and as you *should* only script things that you know are in the scenes ('Chekovs gun' style), obviously scripting doesn't require any checks to see if the model data is actually loaded. And so you get a quest with a hat as the quest item, so it needs to spawn an object in the world when it builds that area in memory. Usually we use IDs generated from a hash of the filename, and a fast lookup database that returns the address of all the model data that you can then link to the game object you are creating to represent the items the script needs. My guess is this then returns a fail state if there's no hat loaded in the system, and the script system falls over at this point.

Now a hat is a funny one - they are everywhere so you could assume they are in the scene as surely there will be at least one character with one?
But they should have maybe added a scenery one hanging on a peg by the door to make sure.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zamujasa posted:

the yee-halting problem :yeeclaw:

:hmmyes:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Aw man now I remember another way New Vegas is a janky fuckin mess that barely works.

The ending slideshow is accomplished by teleporting your character to a specially prepared ending slide room and disabling controls. Anyone with the DLC can tell it's still in-engine because you can take a sip from your trusty vault 13 canteen.

The narration is provided by this handy fellow, Ron the Narrator. His appearance - centurion armor with an eyepatch - is shared with Testicles the Debug Centurion.

Bill the tax collector takes over for narrating Lonesome Road's slideshow. Besides having 5 more Charisma, he's identical to Ron the Narrator.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a recent playthrough where I finished the game while in VATS, so I got to watch the end credits in third-person.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Reposting from the Switch thread in Games, a dev on the original Prime games is talking about what makes those games tick, and this tidbit in particular made me think of this thread.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Iron Lung is a horror game about being in a submarine and taking photos of things. How does it work? This video goes into a lot of detail, and it's more complicated than you think. (Spoiler warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUr3ZB3kLbI

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1590012338421518337

https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1590012343286894592

I seem to recall that some old NES games do similar things, reading from their own game data to provide noise (for sound effects). But I can't point to a reference.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Commander Keene posted:

Reposting from the Switch thread in Games, a dev on the original Prime games is talking about what makes those games tick, and this tidbit in particular made me think of this thread.

That is cool as hell, always amazed at the out of the box stuff people come up with.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall that some old NES games do similar things, reading from their own game data to provide noise (for sound effects). But I can't point to a reference.

Not sound, but the comments mention Yar's Revenge for Atari 2600.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Nov 10, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kennel posted:

Not sound, but the comments mention Yar's Revenge for Atari 2600.

Oh that's awesome, I always thought that effect looked neat but had no idea it read anything other than noise.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Twenty years? Oh god. :corsair:

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Nov 10, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's awesome, I always thought that effect looked neat but had no idea it read anything other than noise.

This actually gets at an interesting thing about information theory. I'm not anywhere near enough of an expert on the topic to properly explain it, but basically as you compress data, it gets closer and closer to looking like noise. The more compactly your stuff is encoded, the noisier it looks. Machine code tends to be pretty compact -- in the old days, because it had to be, and in the modern era, because it's all generated by computers from source code anyways, so they may as well automatically make it as small as possible. So the code that drives the program is also an excellent source of (non-random) noise!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The reason Missingno. looks like static is because the game is reading arbitrary data as if it's a sprite. The Gameboy didn't have error handling, so when it encountered a problem it just kept on chugging.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had to do a static effect for a game once and I ended up using the least significant digits of the texture coordinate (plus a per-frame seed). This looked nice and random but also tended to generate momentary star-shaped artifacts at random times and positions, which was pretty cool

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Naboo wasn't in KOTOR, idiot.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chamale posted:

The reason Missingno. looks like static is because the game is reading arbitrary data as if it's a sprite. The Gameboy didn't have error handling, so when it encountered a problem it just kept on chugging.

Minor nitpick: Gameboy games did have error handling however storage capacity on the cartridges was limited so for large games like Pokemon Red/Blue it was often ommitted to cram more content in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Minor nitpick: Gameboy games did have error handling however storage capacity on the cartridges was limited so for large games like Pokemon Red/Blue it was often ommitted to cram more content in.
The gameboy hardware itself didn't have any, though. The programmers for the individual games needed to make their own.