Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's an enigma to me how anyone who ACTUALLY pays attention to this poo poo and watches the trial could contend that they aren't both toxic and abusive in some way.

Heard fabricates stories/evidence and clearly has BPD or BPD adjacent symptoms. Johnny has substance abuse problems, and (not necessarily to his fault) is not equipped to be attentive to the needs of someone with BPD, which is bound to lead to all sorts of relationship problems on both of their behalves. They are BOTH physically abusive, possibly her more than him. The trial is almost certainly just a show piece to get some level of reputation back for Depp, who didn't really have much of a better option considering the way it all initially went down. Even with the Depp lawyers making a complete mockery of the Heard lawyers, it's a tough case to win from my understanding of how Defamation works, so it really is just to influence public opinion.

The problem with that is we live in a society where people read headlines, not stories. Even if the average person calculated well-informed opinions instead of brigading for either side based on the first few pieces of vague, un-authenticatable information they hear about, why should the average person even care? Seeing the Heard lawyers get dumpstered is probably more entertaining than any foreseeable future Pirates franchise film, TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I haven't read the entire thread yet, only the last couple pages, but I'm kinda surprised by the amount of people who either believe Depp or think both were abusive? Wasn't it already proven that the whole #IStandWithDepp thing was a disinfo campaign against Amber Heard? The sort of YouTube channels and terminally online people pushing that narrative should be telling enough.

Dude, watch the loving trial

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I dunno why people keep saying this to others who aren't buying into Depp being an innocent party lol but I guess if the other side is saying there's some sort of shady disinfo campaign going on, you gotta insist it's them who haven't watched the trial.

Well, have you watched the trial? The only thing you referenced in that post was online disinfo campaigns and youtube channels, and some hashtag which is a Twitter thing I guess? I don't really use Twitter.

I dunno about Depp "being an innocent party", but the testimony and evidence from this trial has pretty much cemented that Heard ISN'T an innocent party. To what extent widely varies amongst dissenting opinions, but it's rather wild that anyone who has objectively kept up with the ACTUAL trial could vehemently brigade for one side or another when there is damning evidence against both. The story has largely changed from 'Heard is a victim of domestic abuse from Depp' to 'Depp and Heard had a problematic relationship that caused them both to act lovely to each other on a number of different occasions'.

It feels like there is momentum on the Depp side due to a couple of factors. When stories like this break out, the general flow is overwhelmingly in support of the victims. Sure, there is always some group of idiot incels, or men's rights activists, or simple trolls, or whatever that push back almost every time regardless of any established facts, but evidence and testimony speaks volumes. When it comes out that something like this isn't exactly as cut-and-dry or one-sided as it appears to be, people tend to get skeptical really quickly. Why exaggerate, lie, about or fabricate anything if you can simply present less evidence or testimony but have 100% of it be true, and just as damning? Any momentum in the other direction is going to feel overwhelmingly against the original alleged victim when you've gone from 'X is 100% a victim' to 'X and Y are both 50% victims', or 70/30. 40/60, however you want to frame it.

If you consider the damage to each person's credibility and character as a result of testimony, there isn't really a place for Depp to go other than up during these proceedings as he tries to save some face, and demonstrate that the relationship was toxic on both sides. Heard on the other hand has no place to go but down; she was at one point a completely innocent victim, now less so.

Also, just as there was evidence presented in the trial regarding damages that addressed popularity comparative to other actors and actresses, Depp is indeed is way more popular than Heard, someone who many people (including myself) had not even heard (lol) of before this whole fiasco, which does guarantee some negative attention and brigading, but is just a straight-forward fact of the matter.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Everyone here weirdly just assumed if you're not pro-Depp, you never watched the trial. Also, look at all the replies since then; one referenced a coke snorting during the trial, another an edited audio, but yes, it's me, the person who hasn't watched the trial.

This whole "Have you even watched the trial?" thing reminds me of when Jorp weirdos ask critics if they even read Jordan Peterson's books as if that made him sound better.

Every time someone asks you if you watched the trial, you don't clarify and go to a "well, it actually seems like YOU are less likely to have watched the trial than me" type defense. Why not just answer the question?

And once again, it is less that people who are keeping up with the trial directly are pro-Depp, and more that they gravitate towards some level of neutrality or slight bias towards Depp at this point. You seem to be strikingly anti-Depp, which is just strange given all the facts. Just acknowledge that both are train wrecks.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Metis of the Hallways posted:

it'll make people much more afraid to speak out about being victims of domestic abuse because they could be sued for defamation and dragged through the mud

hey remember how the original owner of this site used to paint all his exes as completely insane and manipulative bitches and the forum collectively ignored it until enough evidence came out that he was an abusive piece of poo poo. weird. no need to reflect on that or anything.

It's pretty crazy how "evidence" changes the way people think about things. It's almost like the events of this trial/scandal have, in a way, unfolded inversely over time compared to Lowtax's bullshit across the years, that's weird!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If there is a verdict tomorrow, maybe they should make it into a holiday so we can get like, a double next year

Depp Day, or D-day for short. Which is catchy imo

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pararoid posted:

It's actually kinda scary how this was only posted as a rule in one of the biggest subforums 2 years ago,

and now we're apparently back to the original, decades-old status quo of EXCEPT THIS ONE CRAZY BITCH

Is "Believe Women" meant to mean women can never lie and anything they say becomes the truth? Not really...

It means we should accept claims made by women as credible and treat them seriously (without simply dismissing them for whatever bullshit reason) until credible evidence that suggests otherwise surfaces.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its funny if she pooped in his bed, but it'd be funnier if he pooped in his own bed and convinced the world she did it.

Naw, that's not really funny, that's just hosed up

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is absolutely true. But just because we have right wing elements who are attempting to defang female empowerment movements, doesn't mean Amber Heard isn't also a piece of poo poo who cynically attempted to use said grassroots movements for her own gain. It's important to believe women. Female empowerment and feminism is important. But women can also be shitheads too.

Shitheads? Or shitbeds

Gotta keep the thread moving even though this thing is over

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

he should have figured out a way to frame the accusations of abuse as an epic poop meme, he could've at least won gbs over

Welp, i'll be a monkey's uncle, you've done it again, detective Hope! Exposing the REAL facts of the case like some kind of giant satellite that fires truth lasers from space.

The memes SWAYED the public's opinion, they definitely weren't produced as a result of the public's opinion of an obvious liar slowly changing as more evidence and testimony became known. Ironically, testimony from HER side - not Depp's, did the most damage in this case. Stuff like talking about how she was flogged relentlessly to the extent of being swollen, then showed up to high profile public events the next day looking almost completely pristine and acting completely natural, never showing any signs of the horrific beatings she received either physically or emotionally.

But no, you are right, everyone thinks she ACTUALLY did cocaine on the stand, and that's why every social media platform on the face of the internet has like a 10:1 if not 15 or 20:1 ratio of people (obviously incels or alt right am I rite) who post poop and cocaine memes and support Depp. It's definitely not the whole Kate Moss thing where she was so positive that this pirate actor dude pushed a person down the stairs for no specific reason other than that he is a serial abuser and evil mastermind that turned out to destroy her credibility when the person themselves came on the stand and said it was complete bullshit. I wonder why the jury (of goddamn idiots, might I add, lol) had trouble believing her claims.

Forget the BPD even though there is a strong correlation between BPD and violent behavior and even stronger correlation between BPD and emotionally abusive/narcissistic behavior. Depp has a substance abuse problem, he is far more likely to be the one who committed the horrendous acts here, right?

Here's the thing: they both have some serious problems. With their own drat selves, with dealing with other partners, working well with others, etc. When the narrative ends up being poo poo like:

Heard: He hit me
Depp: She punched me
Heard: Well yes I did hit him technically but it wasn't a punch I swear I just "hit" him that's better right? Also when I said he hit me I meant he drop kicked me, took 5 steps back, then slammed me as I got back to my feet with a running, spinning lariat that gave me 3 black eyes and a bloody lip.

What do you think is gonna happen? If she would have just stuck to the original story instead of trying to feed everyone some bullshit, her side could have at least spun the narrative that it's unclear to what extent but apparent that some level abuse occurred. People probably would have continued to believe her.

Wasn't basically the only person that ever claims they saw Depp actually physically assault her in person her sister? Didn't pretty much everyone else testify that they never witnessed anything with their own eyes? Including his friends, her friends, everyone they worked with, his exes, etc. Didn't at least one of her ex's (who was also a woman) testify that Heard was abusive in their relationship? How many times did she "slip up" and contradict something small during the testimony? Something large? What was the ratio of sustained objections from the opposition compared to her own defense? Like 4:!? 5:1? Didn't she lie about donating money to charity?

Well done man, sticking to your guns and exposing all the hypocrisy and conspiracies mang, being the white knight we need to illuminate what idiots we are all being here.

or maybe you are just baiting shitposts in a gbs thread, who knows

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah i do rule, thank you

btw i was replying specifically to people who'd been posting epic poop memes. sorry i made blatant misogyny and victim blaming less fun for them and you.

it's really telling that you're just making up testimony like "Also when I said he hit me I meant he drop kicked me, took 5 steps back, then slammed me as I got back to my feet with a running, spinning lariat that gave me 3 black eyes and a bloody lip." that isn't what she alleged and it wasn't what her sister alleged. if you just make up what she said in your head, you can blame her for an infinite number of imaginary lies. i keep saying, people will believe anything as long as it lets them doubt the account of a victim of a man they're already predisposed to like. people just love the lying crazy bitch narrative.

I apologize, I don't have the time to look up a transcript of the actual testimony and replace "spinning lariat that gave me 3 black eyes etc" with the specifics she stated about how he allegedly thrashed her repeatedly into a bloody, swollen mess less than 24 hours before she appeared on x talk show or y event. Instead, take my analogous post as word for word verbatim testimony.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

but you're perfectly well-equipped to decide she's a liar and probably mentally ill, it seems

Yep, I saw the testimony once. I'm just not so dedicated to looking up specifics to post in an internet thread filled with mostly poo poo posts and trolls, when we've already been over most of the serious discussion related to the actual facts of the case once.

I also have personal history with a partner with BPD who was emotionally abusive many times and ALMOST physically abusive at least once, that gives me a bias where I am inclined to characterize Heard in a specific way based on my interpretation of the facts of the case, her own testimony, and the testimony from medical and phycological experts. Neverminded my own experiences with abuse, I'll simply relay some brief anecdotes concerning to sort of way a person with BPD thinks. There was one time where my ex had a cavity and was crying for hours, convinced that when she went to the dentist, they were going to have to extract each and every one of her teeth. There was another time where she was too busy to send in the form to renew the sticker on her plates and was worried that the FBI was going to swarm her apartment, throw her in jail, and impound her vehicle for being a week or two late. I'm familiar with the patterns of exaggerated thoughts, the little (and not so little) lies, and the narcissistic way of framing things.

I also have at least one friend who has a major drinking and substance abuse problem that has isolated him from the rest of our social group (dozens of people) over the course of a decade or so, because of problems with him being belligerent, unreliable, etc. He's never actually physically assaulted someone as far as I know, it's just disappointing and frustrating dealing with his bullshit.

All just anecdotal, but you have to accept the fact that many other people probably have similar experiences with these type of people that colors their opinions of how to perceive testimony and evidence, and not assume literally 9/10ths of the world is taking one person's side because of some memes, or smear campaigns/conspiracies propagated by one side in a case where both sides have probably had a roughly equal amount of misinformation and smearing said about each other on social media/traditional media by both related parties and unrelated parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

BPD doesn't make people conspire over the course of years to falsify evidence and discuss fake abuse with their closest confidants while hiding it from the world while also recruiting her family

Funny you say that, because the partner of mine in question did exactly that, several times. Firsthand, once to me concerning the partner that was there when I came along (to string me along and turn her closest 2 or so friends against the other person), and once to the person she ended up dating afterwards (to string them along and turn her closest friends against me), and i've heard she did it to others as well from other friends and acquaintances. Can't really say for certain it's BPD that caused that line of behavior, but a pattern is a pattern. People tend to believe patterns.