Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if I'm just bad, but I'm (9 hours in) pretty much out of healthy marines to take to missions. Everyone is varying degrees of hosed up. Also I hate the UI for switching gear and marines - having to go in and out of menus makes it tedious and difficult to keep track of who I have and what they have equipped. This could all have gone on one screen, and drag and drop the equipment like an MMO inventory. Being able to see everything at a glance would make it much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Samovar posted:

I'm glad to hear most of the negative reviews aren't about the game mechanics. How varied are the maps? That was something that got me tired of Mechanics.

Much more varied in terms of assets, although structurally I think a lot of the maps still start to feel samey over time (OK, so we've got a choice of corridors, a door to bash through, an enemy pod in a big room, and then the mission objective) and a lot of it gets covered in glowy Nurgle bloom regardless.

quote:

Those are better than Grey Knights but give me Orks or Kroot or Newcrons or something.

I understand that Space Marines are supposedly the big seller, but someone does need to remember how popular the Ork campaign in Dawn of War: Retribution was, do the right thing and invest in a Chaos Gate: Freebootas.

A group of squabbling and accidentally-heroic Orks, each with their own distinct and wacky abilities in combat? The story and gameplay fun all takes care of itself.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Samovar posted:

I'm glad to hear most of the negative reviews aren't about the game mechanics. How varied are the maps? That was something that got me tired of Mechanics.
I'm 7 or 8 misions in and so far I've fought in an over-run town, an abandoned cathedral, a huge industrial bridge, some kind of laboratory zone, an actual active battlefield with trenches and everything, and a couple more places as well. The variety is definitely there even if everything being covered in weird Nurgle-rot stuff means the vibes are similar. It's definitely nothing like Mechanicus' small toybox levels. They are legit massive.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 10, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Maps get repeated pretty often but they're all very big and full of details and verticality and interactables and such, nothing like mechancus' tiny little rooms.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I watched some preview blurb from a developer and it really seemed like they went to GW and said “40K x-com?”
and GW glanced at their plastic inventories and said “sure, make them grey knights”

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished this.

Took me about 42 hours for a run on normal or whatever that difficulty was called. Overall I think I'm a big fan! It's rough in a few places and doesn't have the absurd polish that WOTC XCOM2 does, but the ways it iterates on the firaxcom formula are all really loving cool, imo. I love the emphasis on using the terrain as a weapon, I love the crazy synergies you can get out of your knight builds in the late game, and I love that your homebase does more stuff than just make your guys better as you upgrade it. I also appreciate that the endgame is a lot more involved than any other example of this genre - lotta cool mechanics and effects that are relegated specifically to the big final mission, which helps make it feel really climactic relative to something like XCOM 2's, which is just long. Also this game does boss fights surprisingly well.

There's def a few bugs and kinks to work out here and there though, and some of the feedback for why you can or can't do a thing could use some polish, like the range issue with servo skulls someone's already mentioned in here, making sure you spell out that you need to actually pick an endpoint for teleport strike, things like that. And the barracks UI is horrible for how much time you're gonna spend there. The writing is there, which is really all it needs to be. In typical warhammer videogame fashion the techpriest is the best character and the most fun to talk to.

Prob gonna give this one a rest for a few patches before I start another run on a higher difficulty but if this gets any sort of content DLC before I get to it again that's pretty much an instant purchase, I'm real impressed with this game. Like it's actually a good game, not just a good for warhammer game.

E: Also the credits song is a redone version of that dweeb-rear end ultramarines chant from the OG chaos gate so the game gets a few points for that alone imo

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 10, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Bardeh posted:

I don't know if I'm just bad, but I'm (9 hours in) pretty much out of healthy marines to take to missions. Everyone is varying degrees of hosed up. Also I hate the UI for switching gear and marines - having to go in and out of menus makes it tedious and difficult to keep track of who I have and what they have equipped. This could all have gone on one screen, and drag and drop the equipment like an MMO inventory. Being able to see everything at a glance would make it much easier.

8 is too small a squad size, I figured out pretty fast a +1 to the barracks and a 12 man rotation is an early priority. Especially early game it’s hard to snowball turns and blender through pods without taking damage. Also the upgrade to prognosticars and warp drive can wait imo to make time/servitors for barracks/meditation chamber. Stopping the bloom isn’t really doable anyway early, so these don’t really do much. There’s a +recovery speed but you’re not gonna be able to get it until pretty deep in the tech tree.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 10, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MJ12 posted:

To be fair, even the chuds thought that was way too extra and people generally quietly pretend that bit of lore doesn't exist

I wonder if the reason they went with Grey Knights is because Games Workshop is ludicrously extra about the 'purity of its IP' and I wouldn't be surprised if they said that if you went with Ultramarines you'd have to make it so that only your high ranked officer characters can be customized, everyone else is a generic mook who gets a bolter and power armor and that's it, or something wack like that. On the other hand, Grey Knights are such a small, super-elite force that 'every character can be customized' a la XCOM might have been easier for Games Workshop to swallow.

Deathwatch would also work, but I suspect Chaos being the big bad is better for general audiences.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Also idk if this is you but a big mistake I made early was trying to always be in cover and pew pewing. Should be in their face chopping, with aegis shield as an oh gently caress. Go in with a couple guys with hammer hand and start chaining together executions, and pods won’t get the chance to shoot back. Trying to chill in cover doesn’t stop damage. Justicars/Interceptors should be using melee way more often than their bolters. This really plays a lot different than Xcom.

I’ll bring along a purgator but honestly I’m kind of meh with them, it’s ok sometimes to have a reliable source of ranged damage but the only thing they seem to excel at is blowing up groups of small guys in 1 shot, which just robs my stabby guys of easy WP, and an interceptor warp strike can fill the same role almost as good, with WP going somewhere I need it. I feel like another justicar/interceptor would be better.

My 2 cents on it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

There are a wide variety of grenade types that are incredibly useful, and Purgators with Psilencers can also disrupt or ranged crit certain enemy types that you really don't want to get close to under normal circumstances. Early game they can seem kinda weak, but later on you'll be glad you have higher ranked ones around.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just finished this.

Took me about 42 hours for a run on normal or whatever that difficulty was called. Overall I think I'm a big fan!

I'm jealous, still got some bosses left to clear before the end, this game is so unexpectedly massive.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Deathwatch would also work, but I suspect Chaos being the big bad is better for general audiences.

Why? Xenos offer more variety (6 main factions instead of 4, plus smaller ones like GSC and Harlequins), and if you want some straightforward enemies to put on the cover just use Orks as is tradition.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

There are a wide variety of grenade types that are incredibly useful, and Purgators with Psilencers can also disrupt or ranged crit certain enemy types that you really don't want to get close to under normal circumstances. Early game they can seem kinda weak, but later on you'll be glad you have higher ranked ones around.

I’ll bring one along for the reasons you mentioned but outside of a couple situations where I absolutely need one they seem mediocre. Even having to break an over watch or other auto I can just teleport in and chop and it’s almost as good, and usually the same ap cost (2) as having to position and shoot. Extra bonus too that an interceptor can himself teleport out of his own suppression or overwatch to break it.

Main issue I have with them is feels like I spend a ton of ap just positioning them - move to los, shoot, then leave an AP to get somewhere safe or pop a shield if the other guys can’t clean it up, while the interceptors and justicars are getting a chop per AP.

Maybe it’d be too busted but I think theyd be better if they could move and shoot on an AP like the stabby guys can move and stab. Maybe an ability like 1 wp to get an extra movement without using AP would make put them on par.

Maybe I’ll try and build up a grenade focused one.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Twigand Berries posted:

I watched some preview blurb from a developer and it really seemed like they went to GW and said “40K x-com?”
and GW glanced at their plastic inventories and said “sure, make them grey knights”

Grey knights are the perfect SM chapter for something like this story. it would have been easy to accidentally write a story where using GKs doesnt quite make sense but stopping a demonic plague in its tracks before it gets out of hand, this is exactly the type of thing they should be up to!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm jealous, still got some bosses left to clear before the end, this game is so unexpectedly massive.

Endgame spoilers You don't get to fight all five of the reapers, you fight three and then on researching the fourth poo poo Happens. Later on you'll fight one of the remaining two (I think it's random which is chosen) as a souped up version of itself. That said, there are several other endgame missions set around this so don't assume this means you have less to do, I was surprised at how long the endgame stuff was tbh

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The regen on that bloom thing just hosed my squad up super hard, two deaths. Is that restart worthy or just bad luck. I don't feel like five hours of doom spiral now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In any mission-type where killing the objective instantly ends the mission (rather than needing to wait 3 turns for reinforcement) the mass-teleport strategem right into the objective's face is just an unbeatable "gently caress you" if you don't want to tangle with any guards or reinforcements. Really just an instant win if you're at the end of a long slog and your feet hurt and you wanna go home.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the mass teleport and the +2 AP strategems never left my lineup tbh. The other stuff seems cool but those two are just tremendously strong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wasn't there recently a Deathwatch Xcomlike a few years back? Maybe GW figured it was too soon to revisit that well (plus it wasn't that well received, IIRC).

Also the game's called Chaos Gate, it'd be weird to break out the Deathwatch for that. Given GW seems to parcel out its IP at present in small chunks, and the Ultramarines are currently tied to Space Marine II, they couldn't reuse them. Hence using the GKs instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, I do wish there was a way to disable the automatic pause on losing focus. There's a fair bit of empty moments where you're just waiting for animations to play out or dialogue to advance, but you can't even switch over to a browser on a second monitor or something to pass it by.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

vaginite posted:

I’ll bring one along for the reasons you mentioned but outside of a couple situations where I absolutely need one they seem mediocre. Even having to break an over watch or other auto I can just teleport in and chop and it’s almost as good, and usually the same ap cost (2) as having to position and shoot. Extra bonus too that an interceptor can himself teleport out of his own suppression or overwatch to break it.

Main issue I have with them is feels like I spend a ton of ap just positioning them - move to los, shoot, then leave an AP to get somewhere safe or pop a shield if the other guys can’t clean it up, while the interceptors and justicars are getting a chop per AP.

Maybe it’d be too busted but I think theyd be better if they could move and shoot on an AP like the stabby guys can move and stab. Maybe an ability like 1 wp to get an extra movement without using AP would make put them on par.

Maybe I’ll try and build up a grenade focused one.

Grenades are absurdly good in a Purgator's hands because they're balanced to be useful even when you only get one of them in a mission and the Purgator can get 3 with a +1 Area buff before you factor in armor. I found a Tier II power armor that gives like, +2 grenade damage, +2 grenade range, and +1 grenade ammo, and there's a talent which lets you get +1 grenade, so it's entirely possible that you could end up with a Purgator carrying 10 super-buffed grenades. In that case, your ranged weapon is just a backup tool, because you can easily spend 2 grenades a pod and come out with surplus grenades at the end.

Purifiers are even better with grenades though because they also add +2 damage to all grenades.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm like 18 hours in and still loving this game. I had a mission where I chain killed 3 pods. I didn't realize the true power of executions and how criticals a play into that

what I really want is some sick tier 3 falchions with + crit% chance on an interceptor with + crit chance skills. slice and dice my way through maps

here's a question: do you get enough levels to max out skill trees?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Very important lore question for someone that knows nothing about Warhammer 40k.

I thought Space Marines were supposed to be like, huge. Like 8 feet tall+ or something.

Is Vakir/Y'shtola also 8 feet tall? She's like the same height as everyone else. Are normal humans in the future just, all really tall? Or I guess is she not a normal human?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saint Freak posted:

Very important lore question for someone that knows nothing about Warhammer 40k.

I thought Space Marines were supposed to be like, huge. Like 8 feet tall+ or something.

Is Vakir/Y'shtola also 8 feet tall? She's like the same height as everyone else. Are normal humans in the future just, all really tall? Or I guess is she not a normal human?

Both kinda? There's been a lot of genetic drift and engineering and so you get a lot more extreme height variance than you do in the real world. Additionally she's an Inquisitor which means she's got access to resources that amount to a blank check as long as she can justify herself to any of her superiors so she might have had some gene-tailoring done to be taller or be wearing bespoke unique power armor under her Inquisitor robes.

Or its a video game and they probably thought it would be too goofy if she was 2-3 feet shorter than the other characters at the table :v:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

parabolic posted:

Do you have to have an unassigned prognosticar to use stratagems? Restarted a campaign and did the initial research for quicksilver and I can't use it this time despite not realizing I was doing anything different.

Hate to be annoying and bump this but I can't find an answer anywhere else online either. I just got through one of the first big plot beats having done a bunch of missions and still can't use any stratagems. I am hoping I can find out before progressing further and lock myself into a no-strat run somehow.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

parabolic posted:

Hate to be annoying and bump this but I can't find an answer anywhere else online either. I just got through one of the first big plot beats having done a bunch of missions and still can't use any stratagems. I am hoping I can find out before progressing further and lock myself into a no-strat run somehow.

Once you have a Strategem it should allow you to assign them when you are preping your dudes in the Teleportarium (40K is the dumbest poo poo). There also should have been tutorial prompts forcing you to assign Quicksilver and, in the mission on your first group of enemies, how to use them. The assignment menu should be at the top and the using menu should be at the upper right.

The only thing prognosticars do is if you are in an assigned ones zone of influence and it would give an extra slot for Strats.

If it is not available to you at all, then it may be an unfortunate bug.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

parabolic posted:

Have you finished the initial research that enables the first stratagem? Upper left of the tech tree, I believe. I also got an event that disabled stratagem use for ~20 days since the inquisitor got injured, so maybe check your upcoming events panel.

Echoing the criticism of the load out and barracks menus. Also, I really don't understand what I am supposed to do with the prognosticators. I unlock them with a decently-long research and then it's just one use? I used one when they initially unlocked just to see what it did, then changed it and successfully made it to two bloom planets within the same round, but now I guess I'm out and don't feel inclined to research more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Basically prognosticars, on the system you apply to:

- lowers the corruption level on a system

For the system and all adjacent systems:

- adds a few days that a mission would be available on that system
- allows to you to preview which enemies are in a mission

Basically, you want to deploy enough so it would cover the entire map, I am guessing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol @ the Steam reviews for this game, which are full of pissbaby neckbeards screeching that their space marines don't instantly crush every single enemy they encounter

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Bardeh posted:

lol @ the Steam reviews for this game, which are full of pissbaby neckbeards screeching that their space marines don't instantly crush every single enemy they encounter

I do think they should have buffed baseline Knight durability/armor and made cover worse but honestly Knights aren't that fragile and you can operate in the open fine, it's not XCOM

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The only way to lose a knight to cultists with autoguns is if you leave several cultists with autoguns alive, so the problem kinda solves itself I would think

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, it is weird that power armor doesn't come with any armor baseline. Should of given them at least like 1 or something.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Unlucky7 posted:

Basically prognosticars, on the system you apply to:

- lowers the corruption level on a system

For the system and all adjacent systems:

- adds a few days that a mission would be available on that system
- allows to you to preview which enemies are in a mission

Basically, you want to deploy enough so it would cover the entire map, I am guessing.

Oh, so they stack or are more-or-less permanent (you can have more than one going st once)? Somehow I thought when you deploy one it gets rid of the benefits of the previous one. Can you move them around between systems afterwards or is it a one shot deal?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Bardeh posted:

The key to not getting your marines hurt is to either
A) wiping out pods turn 1. Purgators have a neat power that applies vulnerability in a wide zone. Followup with grenades, teleportat attack, a heavy weapon barrage... Also get the "for 1 AP give someone else 3 AP" line on every justicar you've got, it's silly useful, in particular when you want your interceptor to trigger an execution to give 1 AP back to everyone (or 2 with a Chaplain) or
B) be in heavy cover AND far away. Long distance halves ranged damage. Heavy cover halves ranged damage. Both means zero damage. Also a frontman Justicar or Paladin in +armor termie suit with the +barrier line of skills can tank a chaos terminator to the face and still have armour left over.

If you can't figure out a way to do either (or the Bloom just gave a horde of plaguebearers 5 armor...), then think about backing away. Let the melees race at you while their shooty allies stay in cover, that will let you focus fire the idiots.

EDIT : oh, re: the menus, right click goes back to the previous submenu. Speeds things up a bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Oh, so they stack or are more-or-less permanent (you can have more than one going st once)? Somehow I thought when you deploy one it gets rid of the benefits of the previous one. Can you move them around between systems afterwards or is it a one shot deal?

Have you played XCOM? They're essentially country satellites from XCOM-EU/EW

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Samovar posted:

I don't know about how varied they are. But what they are is a whole lot more interesting. Both to look at (which was a huge Mechanicus failing IMO) and because they are loaded with interactable objects that do more things than giving you random arbitrary resource; you can blow up weapons caches and explosive barrels, knock down statues and pillars, throw power things at people, and loot spore containers and probably more. And you get ragdoll explosions and varied elevation/ So even if they reuse maps (and they do) the maps are a whole lot less abstract and more interesting - and two fights on the same map against the same enemies might have very different tactical considerations based on not just cover locations but locations of interactive terrain. Mechanicus was built on a fraction of the budget of Chaos Gate - and Chaos Gate has put it to good use.

My big criticism is the loading times. Don't try and play on an old school HDD and even a classic SSD is slow.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Saint Freak posted:

Space Marines are about 7-8 feet tall, Primaris Space Marines (a new generation of Space Marines because GW finally decided to start moving the setting forward and also have an excuse to create new models that don't look like squatting midget marines) start at around 8 and a half feet but Grey Knights haven't been upgraded to the new size probably because GW doesn't want to create new models for existing GK units or the process of creating a GK geneseed is more complicated than a regular Space Marine so they don't want/need to mess with it.

But yeah as mentioned above Inquisitors can requisition basically anything to complete their mission which means anything from body mods to Terminator armour so maybe she has longer legs or some sweet integrated platform shoes. Grey Knights are subordinate to the Inquisition itself and an Inquisitor can requisition and order around GKs if they see the need. They can also try ordering around regular Space Marines but there's no guarantee that'll work out well for them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Vakir's height makes sense when you finally notice those absurd goddamn shoes she's wearing

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

The key to not getting your marines hurt is to either
A) wiping out pods turn 1. Purgators have a neat power that applies vulnerability in a wide zone. Followup with grenades, teleportat attack, a heavy weapon barrage... Also get the "for 1 AP give someone else 3 AP" line on every justicar you've got, it's silly useful, in particular when you want your interceptor to trigger an execution to give 1 AP back to everyone (or 2 with a Chaplain) or
B) be in heavy cover AND far away. Long distance halves ranged damage. Heavy cover halves ranged damage. Both means zero damage. Also a frontman Justicar or Paladin in +armor termie suit with the +barrier line of skills can tank a chaos terminator to the face and still have armour left over.

If you can't figure out a way to do either (or the Bloom just gave a horde of plaguebearers 5 armor...), then think about backing away. Let the melees race at you while their shooty allies stay in cover, that will let you focus fire the idiots.

EDIT : oh, re: the menus, right click goes back to the previous submenu. Speeds things up a bit.

You missed out:
C) Terminator armour in general. Two armour might not seem like much but it really does prevent chip damage when you aren't mixing long range with heavy cover (which you can't always do). Also aegis shield.

D) Never taking overwatch damage or suppression fire. There are two easy ways to throw enemies out; an Interceptor teleporting in and hitting someone in the face and a Purgator with a Psilencer to disrupt them.

E) (Especially in the early game as it becomes much easier later) making sure you always have AoE weapons to hordebreak.

And as a rule of thumb I can't see many reasons I'd want an apothecary with a frag grenade and terminator armour over a justicar with a psycannon, terminator armour, and a healing servo skull. The Justicar's Honour of the Chapter buff is better than the support provided by the Apothecary probably until you (a) get an upgraded Iron Hand buff for an interceptor and (b) an Apothecarion skull so you don't have to have your medic keep up with your interceptor. My normal squad is 2-3 justicars, 0-1 interceptor, and 0-1 purgator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

neonchameleon posted:

You missed out:
C) Terminator armour in general. Two armour might not seem like much but it really does prevent chip damage when you aren't mixing long range with heavy cover (which you can't always do). Also aegis shield.

D) Never taking overwatch damage or suppression fire. There are two easy ways to throw enemies out; an Interceptor teleporting in and hitting someone in the face and a Purgator with a Psilencer to disrupt them.

E) (Especially in the early game as it becomes much easier later) making sure you always have AoE weapons to hordebreak.

And as a rule of thumb I can't see many reasons I'd want an apothecary with a frag grenade and terminator armour over a justicar with a psycannon, terminator armour, and a healing servo skull. The Justicar's Honour of the Chapter buff is better than the support provided by the Apothecary probably until you (a) get an upgraded Iron Hand buff for an interceptor and (b) an Apothecarion skull so you don't have to have your medic keep up with your interceptor. My normal squad is 2-3 justicars, 0-1 interceptor, and 0-1 purgator.

All valid points as well (I tend to run 2 interceptors, but that's mostly because teleporting solves an infinite number of problems).

I was also pondering on the way to the shops, and I think it also helps to understand the various enemy AIs and MOs - they're all fairly predictable after a while. I might make an effortpost about that later.