Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm finding Justicars ridiculously good all rounders - psy cannons, terminator armour, melee weapons, and a hand out action points buff is everything I wanted. And with the cannon having an AoE I don't need frag grenades so much and I'm just not seeing much point in the purgator. (I also got my medic benched early and don't seem to feel the lack of one when set against a whole lot of extra firepower).

Question about my favourite class - the Interceptor can get a Psilencer as a weapon from a skill - but on the Purgator that's a two handed weapon and thus takes away all their melee, while my Justicar can melee with a psy cannon. Would my interceptor be unable to melee if they had a psilencer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Am I missing something with the falchions? is +5% crit worth missing out of 50% parry?

IME there's no need to parry if you don't leave your foes alive. But the falchions are only worth it if you're stacking crit abilities and that's more of a specific build thing. I think falchions are the worst melee weapon in the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Should I buy regular or castellan edition?

Save the money unless you really like soundtracks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Samovar posted:

I'm glad to hear most of the negative reviews aren't about the game mechanics. How varied are the maps? That was something that got me tired of Mechanics.

I don't know about how varied they are. But what they are is a whole lot more interesting. Both to look at (which was a huge Mechanicus failing IMO) and because they are loaded with interactable objects that do more things than giving you random arbitrary resource; you can blow up weapons caches and explosive barrels, knock down statues and pillars, throw power things at people, and loot spore containers and probably more. And you get ragdoll explosions and varied elevation/ So even if they reuse maps (and they do) the maps are a whole lot less abstract and more interesting - and two fights on the same map against the same enemies might have very different tactical considerations based on not just cover locations but locations of interactive terrain. Mechanicus was built on a fraction of the budget of Chaos Gate - and Chaos Gate has put it to good use.

My big criticism is the loading times. Don't try and play on an old school HDD and even a classic SSD is slow.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

The key to not getting your marines hurt is to either
A) wiping out pods turn 1. Purgators have a neat power that applies vulnerability in a wide zone. Followup with grenades, teleportat attack, a heavy weapon barrage... Also get the "for 1 AP give someone else 3 AP" line on every justicar you've got, it's silly useful, in particular when you want your interceptor to trigger an execution to give 1 AP back to everyone (or 2 with a Chaplain) or
B) be in heavy cover AND far away. Long distance halves ranged damage. Heavy cover halves ranged damage. Both means zero damage. Also a frontman Justicar or Paladin in +armor termie suit with the +barrier line of skills can tank a chaos terminator to the face and still have armour left over.

If you can't figure out a way to do either (or the Bloom just gave a horde of plaguebearers 5 armor...), then think about backing away. Let the melees race at you while their shooty allies stay in cover, that will let you focus fire the idiots.

EDIT : oh, re: the menus, right click goes back to the previous submenu. Speeds things up a bit.

You missed out:
C) Terminator armour in general. Two armour might not seem like much but it really does prevent chip damage when you aren't mixing long range with heavy cover (which you can't always do). Also aegis shield.

D) Never taking overwatch damage or suppression fire. There are two easy ways to throw enemies out; an Interceptor teleporting in and hitting someone in the face and a Purgator with a Psilencer to disrupt them.

E) (Especially in the early game as it becomes much easier later) making sure you always have AoE weapons to hordebreak.

And as a rule of thumb I can't see many reasons I'd want an apothecary with a frag grenade and terminator armour over a justicar with a psycannon, terminator armour, and a healing servo skull. The Justicar's Honour of the Chapter buff is better than the support provided by the Apothecary probably until you (a) get an upgraded Iron Hand buff for an interceptor and (b) an Apothecarion skull so you don't have to have your medic keep up with your interceptor. My normal squad is 2-3 justicars, 0-1 interceptor, and 0-1 purgator.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think it honestly might be that someone who has played enough XCOM to clear Ironman Legendary has more ingrained play patterns to iron out that are incompatible with how Daemonhunters works. Conservative plays that would be the optimal choice in XCOM or XCOM 2 are kind of crap here, this game heavily rewards YOLO plays and berserk aggression once you understand how executions work.

I'm finding that the tactics that work remind me more of Mario + Rabbids than X-Com. This is not a bad thing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Basically all the classes are good, although the Apothecary is kinda ehhh because it's a support unit in a game which rewards unrelenting aggression.

The problem with the apothecary isn't that - it's that it's not even very good support. I'd say both the Justicar's ability to hand out AP like candy and the Purgator's ability to either blind or make everyone vulnerable are both as strong as anything the apothecary can offer and much easier to use because you don't have to be right next to your target. The best way of mitigating damage isn't healing but eliminating your enemy.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The problem with the Chaplain is that Litany of Hate feels like a "Win More" ability. Yes it may let you feel awesome sometimes - but if you can clear that much chaff you don't normally need the help while if you're actually facing hard opponents it will probably not help at all. And the rest of the litanies are nice but none of them change the tactical situation to give you extra options. Just to hit a bit harder or be a bit tougher (and if you want that bring a paladin). Chaplains are fun without being good (which is still better than apothecaries)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The only thing I wish (and it might have happened) is that after updates like that the nerfed characters got a free respec. I mean Honour the Chapter is still good even after the nerf, but is no longer a no-brainer and there's more reasonable build variety in the class.