Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
What kind of early-mid game setups do people like using for no willpower missions before you get good equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I regret completing the craft world mission before getting so the engine upgrades.

I went to comfortably completing two missions each month to sometimes needing to reload because none are with reach

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

Warp Surges can have effects such as granting 5 armour to all enemies for one turn. Mutations may grant similar buffs, and can be induced in enemies either by themselves or by others.

I'm doing a second playthrough on Ruthless difficulty using a ranged squad, and it's been going surprisingly well! It's nice not having to pay any attention at all to the stun counter pretty much. That said, the Magellus fight was an absolute shitshow between the bugs and its generally infuriating encounter design. Not sure I'd have stuck with the game if I'd had to deal with it on my first run.

I've been switching to range heavy squads when I can't use WP and so far it has worked really well, despite not having much in the way of mastercraft gear.

Are there any hangups or mistakes that make the jump to ruthless particularly challenging? I'm considering restarting so I can fully upgrade the engines pre-craftworld but might want to bump up the difficulty, haven't decided.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm tired of unequipping masterwork gear every other mission. You can't even keep it off until needed because the chapter master will steal your stuff in an event.

The game really needs to just set your weapons or armor temporarily to the default stuff when you opt into those deeds.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Randler posted:

So, what is generally a good time to do the first quest mission? I'm on day 160 with level 5-6 knights but the final section of that mission still grinds me down despite me getting rid of the surprise demon boss almost immediately.

Is this something that I should not do as soon as possible and instead build up my knights and armor more?

I'd wait until you have enough engines to regularly get two missions a month. Also avoid placing prognosticars until you've done that mission so you can place them with full knowledge of the map's layout (or look up an optimal placement beforehand), since extra systems get added and you might regret your placement.

Not being able to reach any missions before they expire is a thing that can happen without engine upgrades or prognosticars, I don't recommend it.

Edit: on normal difficulty my guys were around rank 6 with mostly t2 equipment when I beat it. My first attempt with my B team, including a rank 1 apothecary, got destroyed by the second part of that mission.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 11, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm waiting for them to patch the game so you get dreadnoughts and superhard missions that require dreadnoughts around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You can beat the first mission in a single turn once you understand how to gain and spend momentum. I really like how the game rewards aggressive, smart plays.

It is a shame the dlc seems really under baked. The first one basically ruined the game for me.