Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

Does this game use the "see no evil" pod system?
Like XCOM 1 yeah. However the game gives you both clear indications of where unseen pods are as you approach and also which direction they'll be moving in next turn, so even if you don't know what's in it you'll know where they are and where they're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hello Chaos Gate thread

So this game is a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be
How do you mean? Do you mean in length, depth, or actual world size? Does anyone know if we get to go to other sectors besides the starting one and it's handful of planets?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Psycho Landlord posted:

After you handle a story event that everyone plays up as the climax of the plot, you learn there's four more distinct bloom strains and the sector doubles in size and introduces new mechanics such as roving chaos fleets
lets loving gooooooooo

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also lmao that this game solved the Inverse Difficulty problem by not solving it at all whatsoever and just going all in on making everything you do with your dudes as badass as possible (though certain lategame enemies like helbrutes are way ruder than anything in Firaxcom ever was)
I know a lot of people hate this in tactics games but tbh as a below-average-to-average-at-best player ramping up in power is fun as hell. I loved being an endless headshot sniper-god in WotC and I loved being an eternal chainsaw demon in Gears Tactics (play Gears Tactics it's super good).

Does the ability to unlock the weapon/armor perks come through the plot or something? I could swear I've mouse-overed every ship upgrade and haven't noticed anything about an armorer.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 8, 2022

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I appreciate that spotting an enemy pod automatically refills all AP to full because accidentally uncovering one with your last dude in XCOM1 and being forced to sit there and seethe as they set up was infuriating.

Also when I realised every single ability use raised the surge gauge I stopped using Aegis every single round and suddenly it stopped filling up so fast! Who'd have thought!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The only real problem I have with the game is there isn't a lot more blood and weird gross nurgle fluids. I cut you in half cultist dude, you should be hosing the screen with plague gore not falling apart with wacky rubber organs like a Team Fort 2 character.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Samovar posted:

I'm glad to hear most of the negative reviews aren't about the game mechanics. How varied are the maps? That was something that got me tired of Mechanics.
I'm 7 or 8 misions in and so far I've fought in an over-run town, an abandoned cathedral, a huge industrial bridge, some kind of laboratory zone, an actual active battlefield with trenches and everything, and a couple more places as well. The variety is definitely there even if everything being covered in weird Nurgle-rot stuff means the vibes are similar. It's definitely nothing like Mechanicus' small toybox levels. They are legit massive.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 10, 2022

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In any mission-type where killing the objective instantly ends the mission (rather than needing to wait 3 turns for reinforcement) the mass-teleport strategem right into the objective's face is just an unbeatable "gently caress you" if you don't want to tangle with any guards or reinforcements. Really just an instant win if you're at the end of a long slog and your feet hurt and you wanna go home.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

is any weapon that's not basic considered master crafted? I got a warning about starting a mission with Mastercrafted weapons but was just using level 1 poo poo.
Yep.

Count me in as someone else basically fine with the nerfs but I sympathise for people on high difficulties who had their builds broken. It kind of feels like there are some obvious "take this you fool" skill paths for all classes, whereas in WOTC/Gears Tactics it felt like the same class could be built in different directions.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Also, I see a lot of Steam reviews complaining about a timer. My current main objective is to research the Codex Toxicorum, and all I need to start it is one purple seed. I've got plenty of every other type of seed, but have yet to get a mission I can reach in time that gives me a purple one. Does the game warn you if you're approaching a gameover state? I've been on this mission for quite a long time now, just waiting for missions to spawn that let me get a purple seed.
I think what happens is when the corruption on a planet is high enough it triggers a big mission where you have to destroy a chaos gate and if enough gates are left standing the game ends. I don't know for sure but the way the Inquisitor was talking and the cutscene that was playing gave a pretty big "this is the death timer, do something about it" vibes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah agreed.

The strategic depth/variety for multiple playthroughs doesn't really exist, not even on the level of something like Gears. Once you have a couple of abilities fully skilled-up your units are very powerful in basic gear, and once the upgrades start to roll in you only become more unstoppable from there. There really is no reason not to just run Justicar/Interceptor/Interceptor/Wildcard every level with X being your teleport-god librarian or sniper-Purgator or just a third Interceptor. On the strategic level there is no real complexity in the second half of the game which is a very simple loop of waiting for boss missions to unlock via research, and the stratagem system of once-per-mission super-abilities (later on you can use them 2 or even 3 times which make them even more busted) is kind of wasted since there are two that are over-and-above the best and then also-ran filler for your third.

I'm probably gonna end my campaign at 30 hours and don't really feel the impetuous to try a higher difficulty. No doubt though it's a super-fun 30 hours and I'm so glad a new Chaos Gate game exists after 20+ tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zephro posted:

I'm on the fence about this. It sounds like it has the same problem as Mechanicus, where your dudes get so powerful by the end that the game is a cake-walk. Is that fair?
I finished yesterday at 25 hours and on normal difficulty my squad of Justicar/Librarian/Purgator/Interceptor was the closest thing to untouchable there could be. I entered the point-of-no-return and skipped every mission that popped up while it was cooking because I didn't feel like extra skills would make me any more powerful. The problem is the final mission is actually legit challenging compared to the game beforehand and (mission structure spoilers) you need eight people for it, divided into a boss-killing squad and a wave-killing squad, so you can actually screw up and be pretty hosed if you only have one squad skilled-up to god-killer levels and not two. On the other hand if you rotate your characters properly even this wouldn't be a problem, I was just dumb and lazy and never did because my four primary guys were so strong they never got injured.

I enjoyed the game a lot and the characters and cutscenes were great which I didn't expect at all. I don't have any hot takes besides it's a solid AA game and it's great to see a new Chaos Gate that's good and I hope they make a second that's deeper and better.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 17, 2022