Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

cmashjacobs eat the spinach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
When did we get a title change, and why doesn't it involve spinach?

I gets to the finish because I eats me spinach...

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Watched all three Callisto vods mostly in a row. The games story was pretty interesting, and it certainly looked fun. Never gonna buy it though, the reliance on the evasion system is something I could never get used to. Though I did get a chuckle when I realized that CJacobs was playing a dude named Jacob.

My only real gripes were,
1: The 2 headed boss 1-shots, it' should've at least been 2 hits minimum.
2: The small stack sizes for ammo, and non-stackability of batteries. Since the HC could load 10 rounds the ammo should have stacked to 20 at the minimum.
3: The lack of a button to play audio logs you just picked up. every other game with audio logs had one, but Idon't see CJ do it once, but that might have just been him. IDK.
4: CJ calling all the prison GUARDS "wardens" for all three streams. Dude there's only ONE Warden in any prison, and they're the one in charge, the ones watching the prisoners are the Guards/Jailers/Correctional Officers! Not Wardens. While the names might change between countries, I'm fairly certain NOBODY calls a guard a warden, except a maybe in a fictional story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

// UNCUT https://youtu.be/ZW3TNbnhV64
// CUT https://youtu.be/sS82in02MxM

The LOUD ROOM returns in all its metallic, echoing glory- its sound now as properly balanced as the flesh on either side of John Carver's face. Let's wrangle the Crozier and blow this joint before it takes our eardrums with it!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

gotta keep em separated

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

biosterous posted:

gotta keep em separated

The Children of Altman Most Certainly Will Not Be Alright

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The audio editing for Burning Love was *chefkiss*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the mixing is so good! props to cjakes haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, is Nidoking watching this LP? everytime CJacobs and crow caught fire the burning animation reminded me of his avatar lol

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am offended by several things in the Callisto Protocol, the first is that the cargo section of the ship is tiny, roughly comparable to the crew section, the second is that very little of the cargo in containerized, and the rest is break bulk, not even palletized. I do enjoy, however, that the guilt ghost is ultimately a helpful creature that leads to realization and meaning.

Also that was some A tier editing.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Hey CJacobs, will you be singing a Creed song again in episode 12?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you folks a lot for the compliments to the editing so far. I try to use the royal 'we' as much as I can because my bros rule, but the editing itself is all done by me and so for the props about it you folks deserve props right back. Thanks for being cool enough to bring it up.

drkeiscool posted:

Hey CJacobs, will you be singing a Creed song again in episode 12?

I'M SIX FEET FROM THE EDGE AND I'M THINKIN' :shuckyes:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cleaning gears is a lot more fun when you get to do it with heavy ordnance.

You know the end of that sequence shows that Dead Space 3 kind of took the tension out of getting sucked into space. You're encased in power armor with plenty of air and rocket boots. Stop scrambling against the vacuum and just go with it, you'll be fine.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

also, is Nidoking watching this LP? everytime CJacobs and crow caught fire the burning animation reminded me of his avatar lol

Carver and Isaac-->

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh my god the remake comes out tomorrow, holy poo poo you guys I am so utterly excited and barely have words to express my faith in Motive to deliver an envelope with a love letter to Dead Space inside, to my eyes it looks like care was taken in every respect from the sound to the visuals to the acting performance itself with consideration to who is doing that acting to create a video game that stands apart from the original completely while also retaining its core identity.

Just thought I'd mention. Share your fond Dead Space memories if you like, the LP's currently on IRL rain delay and not just thanks to Motive's seemingly incredible work on the remake! Personally that first slasher playing dead in the cargo hold will live in utter infamy, it is just a perfect collision of player choice and awareness versus the desire to create something every player will encounter, and Visceral pulled it off flawlessly. The creepy-rear end shadow just crossing the hall as you approach, the orchestra leaves the theater, the light at the end flickers as you approach with caution to reveal a slasher that has long since died. OR HAS IT?

My dad and I both leapt a foot in the air.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A cool goon also made a thread to discuss the remake and the series in Games!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm not big on horror. Have I mentioned that before? Probably have.

I don't like jump scares. I don't like that "pa-pow pa-pow" that your heart does after something leaps out at you.

Having said that, I really liked Dead Space. I love that there's no HUD or UI, and it's all "in-universe", i.e. Isaac's RIG and so-on. And you can see other characters' RIGs as well, and those correspond to their health, which is a cool touch.

I love how the intro goes, where they're docking with the Ishimura. I love the scale of the spaceships, and the speed as they arrive, and the noise. It's all so well done, and I love it. And it's not a pre-rendered video, which is the best part. Isaac is strapped in, but you can still move the camera around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1619031476808609792?s=20

Streaming the game as blind as can be right now in case you'd like to see Dead Space Remake close and personal!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

tfw convergence

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Philippe posted:

tfw convergence

CONVERGENCE?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The convergence was this thick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Been posting about it everywhere so why not here as well: The remake is truly, truly amazing. I feel humbled standing in it looking around at the sheer effort that had to go into replicating Dead Space without copying it. The sheer effort. Thank you to everyone who joined me for the stream, I'm so so glad we got to capture that first time experience and the utter enthusiasm live. And we've only made it to chapter 5 so far!!

CJacobs posted:

This game is seriously unbelievable. I'm only to Chapter 5, just completed the ADS sequence, and the remake has completely blown me away, stands firm as a love letter to the entire series while retaining its own unique identity. It feels like someone threw every Dead Space game in a blender and stuck the result in an IV straight into my veins. It's everything I wanted and vastly, vastly more. The developers at EA Motive took steps to establish the foundation of Dead Space all over again, and then built an entire skyscraper of their own on top of it. A truly astounding level of care and attention to detail with respect to the original. This must be how Resident Evil fans feel!

CJacobs posted:

Every game at once in a single tiny little advertisement for the church. I'm in love.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Convergence? :)

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Been posting about it everywhere so why not here as well: The remake is truly, truly amazing. I feel humbled standing in it looking around at the sheer effort that had to go into replicating Dead Space without copying it. The sheer effort. Thank you to everyone who joined me for the stream, I'm so so glad we got to capture that first time experience and the utter enthusiasm live. And we've only made it to chapter 5 so far!!

did you remember to look for Peng in the docking bay

this is critically important to know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drkeiscool posted:

did you remember to look for Peng in the docking bay

this is critically important to know

SURE DID :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Your delight over new Dead Space is very good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Genuinely thank you. This world is full of humans who find optimism and joy in their interests and the louder and prouder and more genuine you can express your love, for whatever that thing is, the better in my opinion.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

this game is loving amazing

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Genuinely thank you. This world is full of humans who find optimism and joy in their interests and the louder and prouder and more genuine you can express your love, for whatever that thing is, the better in my opinion.

You're proving love, buddy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

this game is loving amazing

Everything I've seen of Dead Space Remake has been beyond amazing. I never buy games at full price any more, but the second it goes on sale I'm getting it. I REALLY hope Motive gets the chance to take a crack at Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3, because if they put the same amount of work and care into those two as they did this one, they would be phenomenal.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think the consensus is that this is a remake done right. It's not just a remaster, or a reinterpretation. They took the best parts of the original (story, atmosphere), and added new things (how you access locked doors, being able to navigate within the entire ship).

It's still "Isaac-Clarke-explores-the-Ishimura", but it's "How would Dead Space be if it were made in 2023".

That about right?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

I think the consensus is that this is a remake done right. It's not just a remaster, or a reinterpretation. They took the best parts of the original (story, atmosphere), and added new things (how you access locked doors, being able to navigate within the entire ship).

It's still "Isaac-Clarke-explores-the-Ishimura", but it's "How would Dead Space be if it were made in 2023".

That about right?

I think it's set the bar to judge all other video game remakes moving forward. I'm only on chapter 3/4, but unless there's a steep nosedive in quality somewhere in the future, it really is that good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Streaming more here, from Chapter 5 onward!

https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1619788339695222785?s=20

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

i'm skimming some of the VOD's of the stream and GODDAMMIT YOU MADE A REPTILE PUN WHEN YOU SAW THE ALLIGATOR TOY IN THE LEATHER JACKET

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CJacobs I'm playing thru the game and watching your LP at the same time, your joy in this game is truly wonderful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MA-Horus posted:

CJacobs I'm playing thru the game and watching your LP at the same time, your joy in this game is truly wonderful.

Thank you, sincerely! The enthusiasm and passion is what drives me and I'm really glad it's conveyed in the videos, and it just makes me so happy that it's what folks are looking for. Out of curiosity, how far in the game have you made it? What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvMfNUigR_0

Dead Space is now permanently archived on the vod channel! It blew me away completely. Bear witness to the fruits of love and labor of hundreds- In my opinion, Motive has pulled the gambit off with aplomb. They've created the perfect remake of the Ishimura and its hallowed, foggy halls.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 12, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm at the mining deck, and loving the game. Just the right balance between "oh gently caress what's about to come get me next" and "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress CONTACT BEAM SAVE ME"

although I am sad that I don't get sweary stompy Isaac. *STOMPSTOMP*motherFUCKER*STOMPSTOMPSTOMP* is my favorite part of DS2/3

EDIT: I TAKE IT BACK HE DOES IT THE MIGHTY BOOT OF ISAAC CLARKE

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 19, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the coolest little details was that his stomp dialogue seemed to get more angry as the game goes on. Early he doesn't curse at all unless you really go for it, later it only took a couple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVQ7k-hTfkM

Here is part 2 of the stream! I'm having a hell of a time archiving this, YouTube for some reason really doesn't like processing it! That said, enjoy 10 more hours of Dead Space!! Motive's reimagining of the game continues to astound. New threats, new arrivals, new greebles around every corner! And it is so utterly terrifying and gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

oh excellent! i just started watching the VOD on twitch but i like youtube's player a lot more. wonderful timing!