Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Hello goons, I am playing as Unponderable. Nice to farm with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

Your Exploring Skill Level is 98 and you have 1,775,341,000 XP. You need 224,659,000 more XP to reach Level 99.

Grinding exploring has been by far the worst part of this game experience for me so far, and I'm considerably less close to 99 than you are. It feels mechanically incomplete, based on the sheer number of clicks demanded of players. Never mind trying to manage inventory limits in the midst of clicking off several thousand stamina at a time.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I just unlocked Large Island yesterday (after a few thousand manual fishes for catfish). I threw in several hundred nets, got my first 100m, felt nice. However, now, it feels like I just hit a huge wall with the Whispering Creek unlock quests (much less the Pirate's Cove quests - ye gods this is not balanced for a fresh player, I'll be level 99 well before I unlock this level 80 zone). Should I be focusing on making my first billions for a while?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Lawlicaust posted:

The biggest annoyance for it is the dice and spectacles.

Yeah I almost asked for advice on getting these, but then I realized the answer was probably just exploring for the better part of a week straight. Wishing well alone won't get me there in any reasonable period of time.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Related question, but is the level 6 Macaw really the only way to get anglerfish? Making it a mandatory prerequisite for Pirate's Cove?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Mailbox passwords confused me terribly when I was starting. I knew there were over a hundred, and I expected to see a drip feed of clues via quests like the first two. I didn't want to "cheat" by just typing in the list of passwords.
But it turns out there aren't actually any quest-clues after those first two and I can only assume that the clues on buddy.farm are fan-made. So unless you're a big dweeb for riddles I'd suggest just going down the list and typing them all in at the start.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

level 6 frog is your friend. This isnt the only time you will need a ton of gold leaves

I plowed through that grind without a frog, before I even made my first billion. Level 6 Parrot seemed like a better first investment.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

and the claw won! posted:

Yeah regular Flier feels like the same drop rate as other gold fish, and Gold Flier is just abysmal.

Is anything at Borgen's camp today good to grab for the future? My skills are in the 60s FWIW. I don't know what to do with all these ancient coins when Borgen doesn't have apples or OJ or etc.

If you can grab some moonstones (no more than 20 or so) that'll spare you a small grind but it's a pretty underwhelming selection this week.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Referee posted:

They really need to tweak that system more. I have zero desire to complete any of those requests right now because they simply aren’t worth it.

Same. Not even getting vendor price for what I'm being asked to give blows. And it doesn't help that peaches are mostly locked behind the same mechanic.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
The whole mechanic would make more sense if clearing personal requests came with some kind of unique currency you could spend on items or upgrades. As it is though it seems like a mechanic born to be forgotten.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

H110Hawk posted:

What is corn jail? :v: (I assume some quest where you need a bazillion corn but still could someone explain the joke? Or is it just because the game is a farming time suck?)

You'll know when you're in corn jail.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Tahirovic posted:

I don't really see the point in voiding everything for a single goal. It might give you a small short term advantage but the long term costs seem bigger?

If you grow a couple of badges of Mushrooms at your farm each day, you should be able to explore grind WC without voiding things, making tons of silver and getting GM progress on the side.

Edit: This is what my current masteries look like after trying to avoid voiding:

Ah then it will be less profitable to grind out and voiding might be the better option. On the plus side you might snag up the odd Orange Gecko, you will need a lot of those.
vvvvvvv

Unless you can touch the game every 20 minutes all day I'm not sure how voiding is avoidable if trying to get to 99 as quickly as possible. It's taken several hours of mushroom growing per day for me not to void garnets, much less getting all the twine, stone, and bottles to use the oak.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
If I need glass bottles, which zone is the most optimal to explore for them? I'm assuming Ember Lagoon but I haven't done the math.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I just hit 98/99/99/90 and I'm looking ahead at all the tower unlock requests. Thanks to the honey and grab bag 7 exchange requests, I'm not sure there's a good reason to climb to exploring 99 before unlocking tower if you plan ahead a little and have been investing in level 6 pets. Looking ahead the big hurdles:
  1. 600 honey. I already have well over 600 honey thanks to early investments in the owl and exchange center requests.
  2. 100 orange geckoes/spiked shells. I've been dutifully throwing crab claws into the well for the last few weeks and I'll have the last few geckoes in another day or two. After, I'll switch to throwing in salt for spiked shells. Getting around 4.5 per day means about three weeks if I don't want to resort to dropping nets.
  3. 150 of various gold fish. I've also been dutifully using my mealworms once or twice a day for the past few weeks to get gold fliers, and I'm just shy of what I need there too. The others should go much quicker. Grab bag 7 exchange requests should be dutifully done whenever possible.
  4. 600 seaweed, 300 water lilies. Seaweed alone will take 400+ large nets and will take probably about a week, assuming I don't dump stam into the forest (also has an opportunity cost of ~2 billion silver.). After that, looking at another 300 nets or so for water lilies. Pearls and giant squid are probably also going to need a few nets but they're offset with time from pets.
  5. 1300 broccoli. Listed because it's a 10h crop and it competes with beets and grape juice for farming experience and with the feed mill. I may just stop leveling pigs for a couple weeks and then I ought to have enough in a couple weeks without too much pain.
  6. 700 moonstones. I'll probably just hoard what my boar brings in until I either hit 700 or I'm gated by these and then I'll dump stamina into Ember Lagoon. This isn't needed until a later quest so I don't see this being much of a gate.
  7. Dragonflies/grasshoppers. Lemur will be one of my last level 6 pets because I understand it's pretty easy to ask folks in chat for these.
  8. Other than the 10.7b silver needed, the rest can be gotten from pets or with comparatively quick exploring/fishing.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 21, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

HelloNewman posted:

The exploration grind is atrocious and feels like it will take months.

Agreed, and I'm finding it very difficult to estimate how long it will actually take. The buddy.farm calculator assumes all of your stamina comes from a single source (e.g., orange juice) and not the entire orchard, and doesn't factor in the fruit that you find from exploring there. I probably need to make a spreadsheet.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

Honestly don't worry that much about voiding massive amounts of slimestone and oak on the way to 99, the only thing I'd keep on top of is the garnet rings and red shields as they give a ton of money for minimal effort (mushroom farming, a quick stop in ember lagoon).

WC is easily the best place for that final long and awful push to 99 since it gives far more XP than any other zone plus you get like 25% of your stamina back in fruit, you'll have plenty of time to get more oak and slimestone and the unlocks at 99 make a massive gain in silver and ATI resources.

Agreed on all points, I'm just saying I have no sense right now of how many weeks it will take.

Edit: I did some napkin math, using a lot of assumptions.

Assuming: all stamina into WC; all fruit/day maximized to inventory limit; no exploring bonus XP; no event bonus; Wanderer, Forester, Resource Saver maxed; Lemon Squeezer; making Arnold Palmers; ignoring fruits and juice from pets; ignoring inventory cap increases; assuming five recursions/day of using fruit/juices/APs, exploring WC, then repeating. 306.581 XP/explore; 1.99 lemonade = 1 OJ. Using some numbers on Discord and buddy.farm, you get back 44.5 stamina-equivalent of fruit for every 100 stamina-equivalent spent in WC.

Result: You get about 39,296 XP per day per inventory capacity. With 30% bonus XP, 868 inventory capacity, and starting at level 90 (1.27 billion XP to 99), it will take me 29 days to hit level 99.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 21, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

obi_ant posted:

How are you guys getting enough herbs? I went from 90 to 97 and still do not have enough herbs.

I have 550 herbs after leveling from 80 to 90, and that's after spending 50 to unlock PC. You only need 600 to unlock tower. Have you been throwing them at other quests?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Arcturas posted:

Oof, the exploration grind to 99 looks brutal. I'm about halfway there (at 92 exploration), and it looks like it needs...1.8 million stamina to get there, exclusively exploring WC? Or am I misreading the Farm Buddy calculator - that's with all the exploration xp perks and all the free explore chance perks, but not counting the stamina refund from grabbing apples, oranges, and lemons while exploring.

Now I just have to do some rough math on my daily stamina generation from the orchard (about 980 inv. cap) to figure out how long this will actually take.

Check my post history, I did some napkin math on this the other day.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

FarmRPG posted:

BACK TO SCHOOL EVENT PRE-HYPE
- In early August there will be a 'Back to School Bash' Event!
- Dates will be announced in another update soon. The event will focus on 'learning' with a lot of Crafting/Mastery/AK perks and some nice Special Help Requests. More details when we are closer to being ready!

Start your stam hoarding!

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a way to get clues for the mailbox passwords in game? Or is it just blind luck or looking them up on buddy.farm? I just guessed a few easy ones and got some gold seeds and several silver.

There are like two early quests that give hints and that's it. Just look up a list and type them in.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

check in on your raptors for something I can't talk about

edit: raptor must be at least level 10

My first raptor turned level 10 yesterday and my next one turns level 10 tomorrow. :rms:

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
The event is live! But the servers are dying from large net spam.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I learned today that the soap shop sells gold fliers, treasure keys and peaches. Gold fliers and treasure keys are very nice for tower unlocking. Peaches will be nice for these godawful personal quests once I hit 4x99.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

koshmar posted:

With the event XP bonus and 1.2 million stam I was able to hit 99 today with minimal voiding.

I feel empty

I'm just trying to keep up with garnet rings in my march to 99 but incessant mushroom farming is making me reconsider my life choices.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Toilet paper is now purchasable for 3 soap apiece. Still sucks for lowbies who don't have WC/level 10 raptors though.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

HelloNewman posted:

Any tips on how to best blow through exploration levels without wasting a bunch of mats? I’d like to craft things that I’m earning, but I keep getting capped out at WC due to twine or (more often) steel.

Just try not to void garnet, since rings are easy to make if you're keeping up with mushrooms. And the new canoe craft also makes using oak reasonable, if mildly tedious.

Edit: and don't void fruit or salt, hopefully obviously

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 14, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Good event. I unlocked the Tower, hit 4x99, climbed to T20, got all the pets except onion at level 6. Now I'm trying to determine if I have the motivation necessary for the endgame mastery grind.

Also, I've decided I'm exclusively exploring with ciders and APs from now on, efficiency be damned. gently caress mindless repetitive clicking.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

rafikki posted:

Yeah, it ate like 10k of my 2.6m stam yesterday when I ran into it.

According to Discord, the sandworm takes 10% of your stamina, capped at 10,000.

I'm personally burning down my stamina reserves so I can do some farming without too much fear. Some people on Discord have also found this is finally a good use case for Expeditions:

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Atoramos posted:

And yea I increased my stamina use, but honestly once I realized how many taps it takes to go from 90 to 100 I just decided that wasn't worth the pain, time or effort.

I have no disability but still find the clicking annoying as gently caress. I would love the feature you describe. In the meantime, apple ciders or bust.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Yeah, I don't even chat, but gently caress that.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Yeah, 'don't ask don't tell' is not consistent with:

FarmRPG code of conduct posted:

This game is played by people all over the world with different races, creeds, religions, genders, identities, ages, nationalities, marital statuses, and various ideologies. Do not discriminate against any person or class of persons for any reason.

Edit: I found a different but similar example:

FarmRPG code of conduct posted:

If you are under 18 years old, do not discuss that anywhere on the FarmRPG platform.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 23, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
In the Jundland Desert quests, what's the next hurdle after the one that requires 3 rubber ducks and 200 unpolished jade? It's going to take me at least a week to get the jade together, so I'd rather not be slapped with another timegate right after.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Requiring a super rare in an exploring zone where the only option is manual clicking is literal torture.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I'm halfway to grand mastering sand and I still have no crest. Barf.

Edit: I knew complaining would work. 50 OJ later and I have it.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 31, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Some spoilers for friendship levels/future cooking content, if you want to get a jump on things:

Friendship levels appear to follow the same XP formula as skills, meaning level 99 is about 2 billion total XP. Since "loved" items give 150 XP and "liked" items give 25 XP, it's a pretty absurd prospective grind to max out friendship levels at the moment. As people know, they will eventually give rewards every 10 friendship levels. Fortunately, right now, the highest reward is at level 50 for one villager.

To get to level 10: 389 loved items
To get to level 20: 1,984 loved items
To get to level 30: 6,504 loved items
To get to level 40: 19,032 loved items
To get to level 50: 55,406 loved items

The only notable rewards from friendship levels are some of the new cooking recipes. They come from:

George (Level 10) - Loves Hide, Carbon Sphere
ROOMBA (Level 20) - Loves Scrap Metal, Carbon Sphere
Thomas (Level 30) - Loves Fliers, Fishing Nets, Likes a bunch of easy to get fish and bait
Charles Horsington III (Level 40) - Loves Apples, Gold Carrots, Likes Carrots and Twine
Holger (Level 40) - Loves Potatoes, Likes Trout and some other easy to get fish
Jill (Level 50) - Loves Leather, Mushroom Paste, Yellow Perch, Likes Milk and Scrap metal

Villagers who may also get friendship level recipes added soon: Rosalie (loves dyes), Cecil (loves yarn), and Vincent (loves mushroom paste and axes).

Buddy.farm has the full breakdown on loves/likes. There are more options than what I put here, but I put the easiest to grind ones down here. And you'll get XP from personal requests so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2022

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

monkeytennis posted:

Would you bother with bank perks once your 4x99 and 100-odd floors up the tower?

I only ask because I seem to have over 1300 gold and don’t see anything else to spend it on.

It's never worth it. Go into /trade and trade gold for large nets instead.

Don't forget to save 500-700 gold for cooking, when it releases.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Lone Goat posted:

Vault guesses is just saving you ancient coins isn't it? I don't know what a good gold:AC ratio would actually be, but I'm likely never gonna get it lol

ACs are limited and annoying to get until you get a level 6 brown bear, at which point you're getting 12 large chest 01s and treasure keys per day (meaning up to 1200 ACs per day). I spin the wheel about 20 times per day, for example.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

monkeytennis posted:

Hah was just going to ask if anyone had managed to grow one yet :negative:

Took me about 5000 potatoes.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there any trick to raptor fighting? I'm just making sure they have swords and shields and occasionally feeding them grape juice. My one good one just got promoted to a new league so now wins 10% instead of 90% which sucks.

There's not really a trick. Items are really powerful for low level raptors but once they get higher level, the fights end so fast that the turn they spend activating the item can cause your raptor to get hit and lose. The best thing you could do would be to send in a new raptor with items once the W/L ratio drops below 1, but it's probably not worth micromanaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Grapes get used for fruit punch now, although the limiting ingredient for that is probably peaches, not grapes.