Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The baby plot is worse than any of the Stevens storyline crap. Completely unnecessary and makes Kelly (and NASA) look like total morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poole is the only competent, normal person left in the show and she is surrounded by total morons. Waiting for her to just completely snap.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Danny would have been a fascinating character if they didn't make him so cartoonishly evil for most of the season. A guy who fucks up, but it's mostly because he has a drug/alcohol problem from the trauma he experienced growing up. And people looking the other way in regards to those problems out of guilt.

Instead they wrote him to be a soap opera villain and it is such a comically bad character on an otherwise good show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought they would come across a North Korean capsule and find a dead body. Total suicide mission so they could say they won the race. Would have been a really interesting wrinkle. Then the added politics of everyone else admitting they were beat to Mars (and whether they tried to hide it).

The twist that he is alive and well is incredibly dumb. Not just surviving the landing in an old outdated ship, but somehow staying alive for months.

It's enjoyable for what it is but it's now below average SyFy channel writing with a much bigger budget.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I’m never sold by the actor playing Dev. Maybe it’s also because his character hasn’t been given much depth. But I don’t buy him as a Musk analog, and that whole monologue about his poor upbringing was incredibly didactic and… boring. Now they’ve appeared to write him out and all I can say is, blegh. That went nowhere.

He would have been a good character if they didn't wait 9 episodes to give him some depth.

The story about his Dad losing his job after the botched launch was a great backstory. That the reason he wanted to do this private is because he had no faith in NASA or government agencies. Million times better than quirky rich tech guy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know why they're doing the Margo alive in Soviet Union story, especially since everyone in the US thinks she's dead. Unless they all of a sudden reveal she's alive she's going to be siloed off into her own arc that doesn't interact with anyone else.

The good news is that Wrenn Schmidt is the best actor on the show and it's not even really close. So having her stay around for another season isn't bad. My guess is everyone will think she is dead and there will be some big reveal during the season where the Soviets and Americans need to work together and she acts as the liaison.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I liked the finale. The show has fallen off a cliff from season 1, but I'm still entertained and this episode had me on the edge of my seat. Moore has the unique talent of making one scene incredible and then following it up with complete eye-rolling crap. There really isn't a middle ground. We went from Margo giving this emotional speech where Wrenn Schmidt is putting on an acting clinic intertwined with the whole bombing plot which is straight out of some network TV procedural. They bonked the failson on the head and tied him up in a truck for heaven sake. Just embarrassing poo poo.

My biggest gripe with the show and time jumps is you don't get real conclusions to stories. They all happen offscreen and you kind of find out during a montage at the beginning of the season or brief mentions throughout. We don't get to see how the Presidency ends or what happens to Larry. We won't see how the folks left on Mars handle the next 18 months. We won't see how the baby handles being in space for the first year and half. Or what happens to Dev. Does the world acknowledge the North Korean as the first to step foot on Mars? And we don't get to see the aftermath of the terrorist attack. I felt like season 1 and 2 did a really good job of tying up most of the loose ends and then giving us some stories for the time jump. This season feels like most of the stories I followed will happen off-screen.

Another issue the show has is that it really had a brilliant cast early on, but the younger actors on the show are pretty terrible (doesn't help their stories all suck). Unless they are refreshing the cast with some young talent, it might be unwatchable at times.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Part of the problem is they have like 20 different storylines when the show can only really delve into 10-15. So most of the stories get truncated and mean next to nothing. The domestic terrorist storyline is fine if they put more time into it. It probably should have been an arc that occurred over a couple of seasons (perhaps you see some anti-NASA grumbling at the end of Season 2). Instead, it was mostly a throwaway scene every episode that somehow culminated in a big event (in which the aftermath will be dealt with offscreen).

Maybe that's just inevitable with the time jumps each season, but it sure seemed like the stories meant a lot more in season 1.

Also just found out that the actruss who played Sunny is Bryan Cranston's daughter.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They could have just come across the lander and found 2 dead bodies in it. That makes some sense at least. NK sent a suicide mission to Mars in hopes of being first to the planet.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

For all it's initial presentation as grounded sci-fi, this show somewhat leans into the mythos of space pioneers as ten foot tall folk heroes, so of course they can't just retire or get a job on the speaking circuit. And even when they do, the call to back adventure ultimately gives them one last chance to go out in a blaze of glory and exit this mortal realm through the gates of Valhalla.

Half the people who die aren't even astronauts or dying in space. Molly could have just died from cancer offscreen. Karen could have just gone off and done her CEO poo poo with maybe a cameo in the next season. Writing everyone off by dying just makes the other deaths not matter much.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’d be interesting if Ellen somehow starts a weird fiscally conservative/socially progressive Log Cabin Republican movement. I don’t know if compassionate conservative is actually possible, but that would at least be an alternate history political subplot that I would pay attention to.

Will she even be back? I can see mentions of her but I sort of thought the final scene with her was a nice send off.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season one was really incredible. A perfect balance of realism, historical fiction, and drama. The characters were realistic and all the space stuff felt risky and challenging. It was prestige TV but not to the point where it was huffing its own farts.

After that, it just morphed into your run-of-the-mill network TV show. Danny is some comic book villian, Karen goes from lonely housewife to billionaire girlboss, and Ed is your prototypical protagonist who "doesn't play by the rules". And the worst part is the space stuff sucks now. Deaths are now met with a shrug of the shoulders. There's shootouts on the moon, a silly race to Mars where one team releases a secret weapon at the last minute, and a pregnant woman being catapulted through space onto a ship.

I'll still watch for the same reason I watch other bad shows I initially liked, I want to see where it goes. But it sucks that what made it such a great show was cut to turn it into Grey's Anatomy in space.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also the funniest part of season 3 was how they introduced the most generic Elon Musk character and gave him no depth or backstory. Then out of the blue at the end of the season he tells a story about his father being hosed over by NASA and forced to drive a taxi. It explains his mistrust of NASA, the government and why he was so passionate about Helios. A loving story that should have been told at the beginning of the season so the audience could actually have some emotional investment in the character. Nah, needed more scenes where Karen demands an office or the Stevens failkid's scooby doo adventures with moon truthers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tyler Whitney posted:

Honestly the real shark jump is Karen in season 2 and the science of 1 (to a lesser extent 2) has been replaced with melodrama. It’s less about doing something novel than it is trying to unfuck something that wouldn’t have been broken if the space race wasn’t still mostly dudes with a Johnson Space Complex in their pants

Season 1 is really terrific and then the writing slowly turns to poop.

Its biggest mistake is being unable to let go of side characters when their stories have completed and focus on new ones. I still can't believe they made a boring Elon Musk clone for the season with no depth and then revealed an incredible backstory at the end of the season which would have made his character infinitely more interesting. But no room between Karen girlboss scenes and Jimmy being part of the dumbest terrorist group in television history.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It would have been an interesting story if North Korea had made it first but the people were dead. This guy just living on Mars by himself for however long is so comical.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Aleida's story was actually interesting and they really cut it down so they could include a bunch of incredibly dumb poo poo like Karen girl boss and the terrorist plot that everyone hated.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like they went a little too far with the time jumps season to season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

First season of this show was really good. I still stand by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This actually feels like something they'd be dumb enough to do. The big story is whether he pardons his brother for killing the love of his life.