Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Maybe I missed it but can't believe no one brought up The First Dance song choice, :lol:

Also Jimmy's the coolest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Grand Fromage posted:

I meant to ask what that was about, I don't remember its significance.

It was the song Karen and Danny started dancing to when they were alone closing up the bar, started kissing, and then you know. lol.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah that makes sense with her reaction. I tried to forget that plot ever happened.

I just did a rewatch this past week and that scene as well as The Baldwin's singing "Anchor's Away!" were two of the cringest moments last season. Otherwise, I love this show but woof.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bawfuls posted:

I about died laughing when that popped up, love how much this show just leans into it

Yeah that and Maradona getting a foul giving England the world cup both made me laugh pretty hard.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MarcusSA posted:

That was the most realistic part of the show right there.

That and not loading everyone into a shuttle as a precaution instead of waiting and seeing how the EVAs went.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Molly still remains No.1

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Spacebump posted:

I'm going to guess Ellen will be stabbed in the back by her VP and impeached.

Yeah, we're totally getting this instead of Clinton's various scandals

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, gently caress Molly. She was way out of line and the reason you have committees is to prevent stupid poo poo like “the old geezers club” from forming or deciding that it’s a great idea to turn the first mission to Mars into a two year “take your daughter to work day”. poo poo is too serious now for cowboys and loose cannons.

She couldn’t loving wait a few days to talk to Margo about what was going on, no, she “knew” better and she reaped what she sowed.

So my read on this was it's the show working in the very real argument that was leveled at NASA in the 80s by a lot of the original guys, when NASA started to churn out missions and started picking people by committee. The old guys felt like NASAs new process picked candidates less for qualification reasons and more "This will get NASA more attention and good PR!". It really took off post-Challenger when it was argued that because NASA really wanted their PR flight to go ahead (because McAuliffe was selected by that new process rather than the old process), it led to lapses in other areas, like not taking warnings seriously about O-Rings being dangerous at certain temperatures. I personally think it was 60% of the old school bitching because their way wasn't king anymore, and 40% "well, they do have a point", since NASA revamped their selection process shortly thereafter among other things. Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane goes into it a bit more.

Kloaked00 posted:

When Bragg mentioned to Ellen he's been a supporter since "the tank", they have to mean she pulled off the Dukakis right?

I think he's referring to when she and Deke flew their rescue mission to the Moon, and she leaps for the fuel tank when they're trying to dock with Ed.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 17, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

stuart scott posted:

Has there been any mention of what Wayne is up to that I missed? Are he and Molly still together?

I think he shows up, would be pretty lovely of the show to lay that groundwork that Molly actually gave a poo poo about their relationship last season and showing them reconcile only for them to boot him in-between seasons.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was hoping Karen was visiting an archaeological site in the first scene. Let’s put dinos on the moon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that opening of that scene and thought "Oh man, are they doing a nod to Jurassic Park here?"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Aw shiiiiiiiiit that episode :aaaaa:

Yep, it's gonna be :tviv: from here on out I think.

I think Clarke will make it, though not without being gravely injured. Also as soon as Dev threw a shitfit over then solar sails, you knew they were gonna do some kind of lock out poo poo on Baldwin so they could win the race.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

mr. unhsib posted:

I legit thought the Russian meltdown was faked so that they could steal American fuel.

Yeah that and the radio transmission to Kelly I thought were part of some scheme to get ahead. I was surprised they didn't show Kelly telling Danielle about it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wayne/Goo Balls '96

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ShowTime posted:

Well, that's a loving ending. I went from "ok this poo poo is getting predictable" too: "wait, what".

Yeah this.

I thought it was weird early on in the season that Jimmy's friends big score was just taking his parents statue. It all clicked once they showed they were armed outside of JSC. Also I didn't realize Molly had died till the newspaper scene but in retrospect, that was a great send off for her character. She owned. Though sad this likely means no more Wayne and his Gooballs. Margot being alive in the Soviet Union was also a shocker.

Also

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Brass posted:

I'm really excited for season 4. The timejump to 2003 is interesting because they just skip right over Bill Clinton and past 9/11. I need to know if 9/11 happened!! But I guess that would be redundant. This bombing seemed analogous to the WTC 1993 one. So I am thinking originally part of some CIA plot to discredit NASA that got out of hand. Like what if Operation Cyclone had the CIA training rednecks instead of Taliban? Will Season 4 introduce the white trash counterpart of Osama Bin Laden? Enter Chris Kyle Tucker, the failson of a wealthy businessman, who ends up becoming the 43rd potus.

So the JSC bombing was an allegory for the OKC bombing (Disaffected veteran, upset with the federal government for various reasons, etc), not the '93 WTC bombing. 9/11 likely does not happen in the show because in the FAM universe, Pres. Hart does not send troops to kick Iraq out of Kuwait, which was a big reason why Bin Laden got so pissy with America (for having troops in Saudi Arabia), so the motive isn't really there anymore. Yes, you could argue that some of the other issues AQ and Bin Laden had with the US are still ever present (Support for Israel) but without Desert Storm, it's not nearly as likely to happen in the shows universe. TBQH, I'm hopeful the show stays that way. poo poo's a lot more interesting when it's not a complete 1:1 with out universe.

Also, maybe I'm dumb but wrt to Jimmy I actually felt bad for him throughout the season. He wasn't coasting off his mom and dad's legacy and seemed like he was legitimately just hosed up from having to deal with both his parents dying on the moon and not really having any real support as well as his brother being a true failson who was too busy doing his own thing to really care about him. To his credit, he realized (admittedly too late ) what was going on and wasn't buying into it. His story's more tragic if anything.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EvilHawk posted:

Episode good, ending good, season good, show good.

I'm glad they wrapped up everything the way they did, largely as we expected (because otherwise you go down the Lost route) but also throwing twists in there. I'll spoiler from here out.

-Margo getting spirited away to Russia came out of nowhere and seems... suspicious. Like how would they know to remove her? Unless the Failson's group are backed by Russians... holy poo poo yeah I've just realised that. Didn't they have AKs?

I could see the logic/storyline being, the Russians were already in the building/area because of the forced joint mission. Bomb goes off and Margot is wandering around afterwards and is either willingly or by force, picked up by the KGB in the ensuing confusion. Also no, Aleida didn't die. They showed her at the memorial wall with her (ex?) husband and child.

Sivart13 posted:

the law of conservation of characters gives her a 100% chance of returning to space

or more boringly she could be one of those government go-betweens, but I don't think the show would resist the chance to shoot an aging person back in to space

Oh yeah, they might do the John Glenn treatment there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think it came out of nowhere.

3j Margot's big speech which she ended with “the room is yours” and performed a dramatic exit.

I think the bomb timing was just coincidence, Margot was on her way to the Soviets after her speech.

I read it more as she knew the FBI was going to arrest her imminently, so she was just enjoying the last few minutes of freedom she had, handing over the keys to the kingdom, and then oh gently caress, a bomb went off. Either theory works though!

Solkanar512 posted:

Is there a possibility here that Margot basically traded herself to the USSR to get Sergei and his family out, without Sergei knowing? After all, even the military said it would be a really tough job.

This also tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Was talking to a friend about it, I feel like McCain is the most likely Republican president. Bush Sr. maybe? I can't remember if they made him Reagan's VP in the show or not.