Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

Give me the BOX.

Sound off if you're buying multiple BOXES

Awuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

Would someone be down to do a legion rules comparison between the classic and new rules?

As the rules are not put legally I have to assume you are a cop.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

One thing I have really noticed a lot is that probably 90 percent of people are starting a traitor faction. I suppose Loyalists are just too boring indeed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Only the most depraved gamers would lower themselves to playing 40k.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

Scars, First Heretic, Betrayer. EZ.

Shout out to Know No Fear for also being incredible

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Table everyone mercilessly, every single game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

One guy posting his box and mentioning the store can get your retailer account revoked, so following the rules isn't exactly crazy. Tons of people break street dates, but if you are not a trustworthy regular it just isn't worth it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Can you make a ZM board using the Hobbit hole hill terrain?

Just lol if the Emperor's lackeys are not forced to defend a few handful of Rohan houses from the endless hordes of World Eaters assault troops on the regular.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Does anyone know what base size centurions and their consul upgrades are supposed to be on? I know the new praetors are 40mm

32mm

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

ty. I'm happy about that. I wanted them to fit in with the regular squads theyre attached to

The Praetors getting really chunky and being on 40mms is more weird than anything.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hixson posted:

My advice would be pick a legion that you think is interesting independent of their rules. The rules will change but if you’re just a fan of the legion it will keep you motivated to keep working on them

Huge second on this. The big secret to the success of Horus Heresy is that every faction can do anything. Anything. You want a cool tank company? Of course Iron Hands have them, but buddy so do the World Eaters.

Also, you are going to be spending hundreds of hours with these lil toy soldiers, so pick a color you like too. World Eaters was my 1st choice for army, but the difficulty of painting all that white was too much for me at the time. For the new edition I am finally going to do Word Bearers because I love the fluff, and maybe revisit a World Eaters ZM force because my painting has improved over the years.

All the Legions are cool, so you can't go too wrong with any of them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

Phew, thank you! Saved me flipping through the book

:rolleyes:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

jadebullet posted:

So I might have drunkenly bought Samus last night. Here's hoping he's actually good because drat that model is cool and running a Word Bearers demon summoning list sou da fun.

Samus is here, baby

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

GreenMarine posted:

Leviathan weapons all seem good and quite strong. Is there any particular build out worth prioritizing? The melta and a claw or drill is appealing, but maybe melee AT with a big base is a bad idea?

Gotta be able to defend against Dreadnoughts, and doing so in melee with one of your own is a good way to do it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

All 3 of those sound just delightful to me but I cannot pick that I will just do X over anyone else

Welcome to the Death Guard. All three options are cool, but this is your new assignment.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Thank you everyone. Rolled the dice, not literally, and ordered the Liber Hereticus for some hot Death Guard action. Blobs of troops, dreads and templates for life! Thank you everyone

Nobody ever had a bad time picking Traitors.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm also a fan of the Eye of Horus podcast

Are there any other ones?

Have you tried Audiobooks?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I started with World Eaters, and was ultimately defeated by having to paint a ton of white. I definitely think that you should pick an army totally based on the fluff/appearance. If you get too caught up in what's the best at winning games you will just end up with an experience as empty as playing 40k competitively.

TTerrible posted:

No army in 30k, despite wailing and crying, is actually bad or impossible to win with. The armies released so far are solid.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cessna posted:

But they all look good!

:unsmith: Yeah...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

This year I'm finally building my AoD box and doing testers and painting a legal force of a new legion :unsmith:

:hmmyes:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As an Iron Hands player, make sure you want to paint it 50+ times. Just do a test model for each and see what feels better.

Both great choices, for sure.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Plastic MK2 and MK5 are 100% real. Quote this when they're released.

:airquote:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

S.J. posted:

Aeronautica was [ ] DoA as far as I'm concerned

I doubt anyone played more that three games of Aeronautica.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just laid out some crisp new MK VI sprues on my hobby table for when I get home from work today. LVO prep begins.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Militia is both extremely cool, and also total dogshit. It's even more amplified in ZM between you can't even flood the board with trash because the units are capped at 15 models.

I have been tinkering with a ZM list to bring to lvo next year, but it's really bleak if you want to take anything other than just Ogryns.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It's going to be a total non-issue in play.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Most people realistically won't play Shattered Legions, and those that do will be choosing to deal with it. You have a lot of control over when models die anyway most of the time, so the odds of it being something you are not choosing is fairly low.

I think it's not amazing design or anything, but it is so unlikely to matter in any normal situation that it is pretty easy to forget about. Something cool for a narrative hobby weekend, but you won't see it otherwise.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Explain in concrete terms how you want someone whose next nearest 30k player outside this group is a 50-mile+ one-way trip (including rush-hour big city traffic for the last dozen or so miles, given game store hours, so longer than the pure distance indicates) away to find a different group.

Or, much easier: don't print that disclaimer in the books, and the problem goes away!

Sometimes you have to travel to get what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Going to be playing Militia going forward so I never, ever, ever, have to imagine that I might win another game.