Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

For the more melee focused legions, how much do they actually want the tactical marines from the starter box? It seems like they would be much more interested in some flavor of Assault Squad, and they would be in a game like 40k, but I don't know enough about the quirks and structure of 30k to know the answer to that question. I just don't want to commit to something like Night Lords, Space Wolves or Blood Angels if it means I'm gonna need to buy a bunch of a different type of troops to play them "correctly".

The good news is, Tactical Marines can still be kitted out for close combat, with the addition of either bayonets (which come in the box) or chainswords (which can be purchased cheaply on eBay). Additionally, you could easily just grab some bolt pistols and chainswords from eBay (or try to swap the bolters with someone) and run your Tacticals as Despoilers. Add some eBay jump packs to those and you’ve got Assault Marines.

Regardless of what legion you run, power armored Marine bodies will be valuable, since little else scores, and Tacticals look especially good for this in HH 2.0, since the leaks indicate they’ll have a built in “ignore wounds” roll when on objectives. You’re also going to want Support and Heavy Support squads, which will be made using the Tactical kit plus the weapon boxes, so those bodies are extremely unlikely to be wasted, no matter how you build your legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh hey that's kind of similar to mine, but only remove World Eaters & Word Bearers and add Space Wolves. That's partially because I got a Burning of Prospero box set a while back.

Space Wolves look to be very good, if you can get over the requisite shame of being a furry.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So would it just be cheaper for an American to order it from a UK discount seller?

You can get them in the US for as low as $225 if you really hunt, so I’m not sure paying for international shipping on a heavy box is necessarily a great idea, but your mileage may vary.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

World Eaters or Blood Angels, honestly haven't decided yet. The Blood Angels have cooler unique units but I think they'll be a lot harder to paint well.

I would argue that white is harder than red, but your mileage may vary. Blood Angels also benefit from having some great paints in the new Contrast line.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Honestly, Ultramarines. I've never had an army of them even though they're the default, and I've liked them a lot ever since the fuff developed them out to be the Marines that value logistics. I really like that, and their emphasis on a balanced force of combined arms (with a slight bias towards infantry), and being generally good rulers and protectors who maintain the closest thing to a good place to live fine hundred works of Ultramar.

Good news, in 30k, they have the added bonus of not being the "default legion" nor as bland as they can sometimes be in 40k. They aren't necessarily main players in a good chunk of the events of the Heresy, but they're still pretty important, and definitely have all the combined arms and logistical focus you could want, along with arguably the best legion-specific unit in the game with Invictus Suzerains.

Plus they absolutely hate Word Bearers, who are total dicks!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

panascope posted:

Hi, I’m here to strongly recommend attending the Las Vegas Open, and playing 30k with the 20 of us that show up. It’s cheap to get there and we’ll go to a burger place where a 3’ tall woman will paddle us on the rear end.

We’ll be playing Zone Mortalis, which means you only need to cough up 1,000 points, easily achievable with the new Box!

Can confirm, LVO with the 30k thread is both a tradition and a great time. Met some great people, wore some matching T-shirts, and disrupted at least one well-attended dinner theater performance with a whole gang of black-out drunk goons from all over the world.

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

gently caress THE PRINCE HE'S A COWARD!!!

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

AchtungBaby posted:

This might be a stupid question. But, could I just paint the box set as crimson fists and use them in 40k official tournaments as classic marines?

I don't play 40k, but I can't imagine Marines in a mark of armor that exists in the fluff as being somehow not allowed in a 40k event.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Honest question here, as I've been debating on the colour scheme for my upcoming Death Guard army, did they ctually perform any action beyond the attack on Terra once they gave themselves to Nurgle?

I've been going through as much lore as I can find. I understand that pre-heresy those with Terra ancestory wore the armour with pride and seemed to keep it well kept. The future recruits from Mortarion home world were more ruthless and were used in the later Crusade as being able to go without refulling and rearming for longer periods of time and wore more of the battle damage as a point of pride.
So....clean is more pre-heresy and/or the Terra born recruits while later generations more battle damage. So depending on how I want to go, a clean look is viable

But....when they got trapped in the Warp and gave themselves to Nurgle and became the "Death Guard" of Nurgle, did they do any battles beyond rushing to the siege?
Is it viable to have some Nurgle infested marines or were they strictly at the siege as infected monstrosities?
Want to know for potentional conversions and what not

While the Legion as a whole was not corrupted until they were literally in the middle of the warp jump to Terra, some members of the legion were corrupted as early as the Flight of the Eisenstein.

Personally, I’d say a corrupted squad or two would be totally kosher in most time periods, but a wholly corrupted army would only be appropriate during the Siege, especially if incorporating a bunch of named characters. I’m sure others will disagree, but that’s my take.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Deofuta posted:

Looks like I missed out on preordering the kratos tank yesterday, only logged in 20 minutes after it opened up as well! A bit bummed, but also excited to see the game appears to be drumming up interest.

Fair warning, they’re going to be difficult to get from you FLGS as well - retailers are limited to ordering one Kratos per FOUR boxed sets they order. Something tells me they’re going to be a lot of them on eBay for ridiculous prices.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Murderize Leman Russ with Horus Ascended and a Justaeran boyfriends squad.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
One important thing for newer 40k players to know, when thinking about these single weapon squads - with very few exceptions, if your squad shoots at a target every member of your squad may only fire at that target. So even in Veteran Tactical Squads, where you could toss a Missile Launcher or two in with a bunch of guys with Bolters; if you fire the Bolters at an enemy infantry squad, you cannot then fire the Missile Launchers into an enemy vehicle, for example. Thus, squads being limited to a single weapon type isn't quite as much of a problem as in some other games.

Additionally, most vehicles can and will be taken in squadrons (vehicle units), meaning that damage carries over to the next vehicle, once one is destroyed. So your 10-man Heavy Support Squad with 10 Lascannons can destroy an entire 5-tank squadron of Predators, if it rolls well.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m really interested in the AL ability to take other legions’ unique troops, since the literal only thing I don’t love about the AL is how dull headhunters/lernaeans are. Do we have any detail yet on just how that’s done? You just… get one? Is there a WLT and Rite that lets you get more?

The Alpha Legion stuff already leaked, so you can see it here: https://imgur.com/a/biDO2Pv

Looks like you get a single squad of a single unit by default, but the RoW "The Coils of the Hydra" lets you take three squads of that single unit.

It does not look like you will be able to run an AL army that is comprised of a bunch of different types of enemy units, which I imagine has to do with the pain of trying to balance that kind of thing. Not sure too many people want to play against units of Invictus Suzerains screening Tyrant Siege Terminators, while Dawnbreakers deep strike behind and wipe out their backfield. Cool as hell, for sure, but probably not something they're going to encourage with the rules!

Also worth pointing out that Headhunters are absolutely amazing this edition, and anyone telling you the opposite (there seems to be a lot of hate towards them in some parts of the internet) really probably hasn't looked too closely at their new rules. A 225 point unit of 10 guys, who can Infiltrate AND Scout, firing TL BS5 (so a 97% hit rate) S5 Bolters that are AP2 on a 6, and wound whomever you choose on a 4+ are absolutely disgustingly good.

Lernaen Terminators ARE pretty boring, but if you look at their "Hydran Exemplars" special rule, they'll be effectively WS5/BS5 against any other Space Marine army, which is HUGE. Plus, they have the same 5+ IWND rule that the Salamanders special Terminators get. Boring for sure, but sometimes boring can be pretty good - take Raldoron in HH 1E, for example!

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 7, 2022

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Oh, that’s cool! Headhunters are a resin upgrade kit (and it’s a hundred friggin’ bucks to upgrade ten dudes, what?!). What armor mark do they go with? And are they coming to plastic?

Yeah, they're actually pretty awesome. I think a lot of people are underestimating just how friggin' strong the AL rules are. Even the simple "you count as being 2" further away" rule is going to be huge.

Yep, the Headhunters upgrade kit is like $100, and there's just no good way to spin it; the resin FW stuff is ridiculously overpriced, and as of right now, GW/FW plans on keeping all the legion-specific stuff in resin, so that isn't going to change any time soon. However, there are very easy and widespread ways to get an identical product for a lot less money *cough*. The good news is, that this set is fully compatible with the new plastic MkVI kit, as long as you are comfortable snipping off the plastic torso (which is directly attached to the legs in the new design) and gluing on the resin torsos.

As an added bonus, the AL is typically depicted in MkVI armor and is said to have favored it for its' advanced sensors and lighter weight design. The AL is not particularly known for being a "stand and fight" legion, so the extra speed, sneakiness, and battlefield awareness/coordination afforded by it more than outweighed its slightly reduced armor plating (none of which has any bearing on their game rules). This means all of the glorious new cheap plastic MkVI is going to be your bread and butter. Never been a better time to start an AL army.

You should hit up Bulbasaur's DMs for an invite to the thread Slack.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t use slack. Maybe I should?

What armor mark are the Headhunters designed to work with? I actually really like III and IV and was hoping to use a mixture of them for different troop types.

Most people can even install Slack themselves on their work computers, so it's proven to be a good tool for the SA 30k community to communicate/bullshit together outside of the 30k thread. Most of us have been involved with it for a good 4-5 years, if not longer, at this point, and have shared a lot of good times together, including some group trips to LVO and other worldwide travel. I highly recommend joining.

Looks like the Headhunter kit is actually "designed" for the BaC MkIV plastic kit, but would work totally fine on the new MkVI kit as well if that is easier/cheaper for you to find. Really, most of the models can be mixed together and look completely fine.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Yeah, having special rules on the datasheets is a good thing, but them not being universal rules is one of the more asinine things GW has done over the last few years.

For any new 30k players coming over from 8th/9th, I wouldn’t worry about them too much - if you can keep track of all your units’ special rules and your army’s stratagems and whatever in 40K, you’ll totally be able to handle keeping track of the relevant USRs in 30k.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Stephenls posted:

If one were going to build a Raven Guard army consisting of elements of Istvaan V survivors and post-Istvaan V reinforcements wearing black and the raven sigil who've hooked up with an embittered nomad predation fleet of former Pale Nomads who've reverted to the pre-Corax grey livery and abandoned the raven sigil for the XIX numeral, designed to be fielded as one army or split in two to fight itself, am I incorrect in assuming that it'd be reasonable to build the Pale Nomads as counts-as Sons of Horus for purposes of when they're played on their own?

I think as long as you make it pretty obvious what is what, in terms of differentiated color schemes, and are really clear about the fact that a chunk of your army is not using RG rules, you should be okay.

My experience with HH is that people are pretty open to cool ideas like that, as long as there is no confusion about rules because of it, and as long as you're using models from the correct in-game time period. Basically, make the idea cool, and don't require a bunch of extra effort from your opponent to play against it, and you should be golden.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a good armybuilder app for the new edition out there? I can whip up a list with a calculator but it'd be a lot easier if I had a program that let me look at the list as I was building it.

There is not, and according to the BattleScribe team there will not be for some time. Your best bet for right now is probably an Excel sheet.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Are we finally gonna find out what a Helical Targetting Array looks like or am I confusing that with a different piece of dreadnought wargear?

Pretty sure it's only ever been a helm with a little extra eyepiece on it.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

JcDent posted:

Speaking of which, was it in the leaks?

Nope. It is totally dead.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Randalor posted:

I've seen some people mention online about building one of the Praetors as a Librarian for Thousand Sons, but I can't find an entry for Librarians in the book. Am I overlooking something or is it just a convenient term for one of the other models now?

A Librarian is a type of Centurion/Consul.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Count Thrashula posted:

Alpha Legion, Headhunter Leviathal RoW

Praetor
Armillus Dynat
5x Lernaean Termies
5x Lernaean Termies
5x Cata Termies
5x Cata Termies
Contemptor
10x Tac Marines
10x Tac Marines
10x Tac Marines
10x Headhunter Kill Team
10x Headhunter Kill Team
10x Headhunter Kill Team
10x Headhunter Kill Team
Kratos with autocannon

That should be around 3k pts. Thoughts? It's mostly "make the best of what I have", assuming I can kitbash a Dynat.

Ditch the Termies and take more Contemptors, they're pretty much better in every way.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I made a basic spread sheet to cross check a 30k army against a 40k army, both using the HH boxed set (and some weapon boxes). Does the HH portion seem legal? Also, I'd welcome any advice or commentary on the troop choices.

In HH your Support and Heavy Support Squad sergeants are going to be equipped with the same weapon as the rest of the squad, unlike 40k Devastator squads. Otherwise, I believe that checks out.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Nancy posted:

Also, are chain bayonets any good? They look cool and I'm probably going to take them because of that, but it'd be nice if the points were also worth it

If the unit is going to get into close combat at all, they're extremely worth it. +1S and Shred mean you're going to be wounding significantly more against other Marines, and since losing combat often gets your entire unit run down and killed, it matters a lot.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Can't hide behind a wall if you're busy schlepping boxes!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lucinice posted:

I got my box the other day and I am having a super hard time picking which legion I want to play. I asked on the other page about the Ultramarines but right now it's a three way tie between them, Salamander, and Iron Warriors.

In your head, what would you like your army to focus on, or be better at?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lucinice posted:

The box set pretty much provides the kind of army I'm looking for. Ranged infantry with dreadnought and/or tank support.

Both Iron Warriors and Ultramarines tend to be good at that.

Iron Warriors are all about massed Bolter fire supported by heavy weapons (wielded by infantry, Dreadnoughts, or Vehicles) and artillery. They seem to be both simple and good this edition, just doing a quick once-over of their rules. Pinning Bolters should not be underestimated in an edition reliant on denying your enemies the ability to react (both with the reaction mechanic and in terms of tactics) and the boost to anti-armor is incredibly strong.

Ultramarines, on the other hand, are all about multiple units coordinating together to either grant or stack bonuses. They look to be pretty strong as well, and Invictus Suzerains, one of their unique units, look ridiculously good for the cost (too good, really). I'd wager they'll be the harder of the two to play well, just due to the reliance on synergy and triggering special rules at the right time, but they look to be a fun legion to play. In addition, you have the added benefit of playing Ultramarines in an era where they are cool and good, rather than in 40k where they're the boring poster-boys of the setting.

Hixson posted:

My advice would be pick a legion that you think is interesting independent of their rules. The rules will change but if you’re just a fan of the legion it will keep you motivated to keep working on them

Really though, this is the correct answer. Pick a legion that you think looks/sounds cool, that you think you will enjoy modeling and painting, and go with that.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

These are different from the FW kits. Pick the ones you prefer and use those :)

Different, but still FW kits; from what I understand from my buddy with a GW retail license, retailers do not have the ability to order them through the GW portal.

Count Thrashula posted:

First HH model is done. Not even gonna think about how many there are left to go

Looking good, dude!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Assessor of Maat posted:

oh, they took all the resin arms off the FW store, seemingly because of the forthcoming plastic kit having sprues with most? all? of the options

as for when, if, or what form they'll come back in, ~it's a mystery~

Given everything I've heard from the retailer end of things, as well as some various mutterings from "my uncle who works at Nintendo", they will not be returning. Everything "generic" will be moving exclusively to plastic.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Unfortunate in this case, since there's a component missing from the Legion-specific Contemptors required to mount the plastic gun arms on them that (as far as I know) isn't included on the weapon sprues, just the actual Contemptor sprue.

What's the piece? I've got a few of both kits, so I'm interested to see if it's there or not!

If not, as Ijyt said, it's extremely on-brand for them

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

my local scene has been 100% dead since 8th dropped and HH/40K became non-compatible, so any money spent on it is as good as thrown in a fire.

If my scene is anything like yours, the few HH holdouts might suddenly be seeing a massive influx of frustrated current and former 40k players. We bought 60 boxed sets, with only about 20 of them pre-sold, and folks who did not currently play ended up buying another 15ish of them. Our group has doubled in the last two months, purely because of the new rules.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

moths posted:

I think this occupies the spot old deathwind drop pods would, so it's relatively consistent with the fluff.

Thankfully, I can just use my old Deathwind Drop pods as proxies for that abomination of a model :getin:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
For getting a deal like that, the rest of the thread gains Hatred (jadebullet). Goddamn is that a steal and a half!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Pinning Bolters absolutely slap; IW are in a great spot.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

working mom posted:

Don't the special abilities confer to the unit theyre in? Or is it only some that confer

Only some confer to the unit , and some only work at all when ALL models in the unit have them.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
You could deploy with the unit, allowing it infiltrate. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to put Independent Characters in Dedicated Transports with the unit that purchased them, which you absolutely can.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Randalor posted:

When did 1k Sons switch from the dark red to blue, and is there a reason for it, or was it just "drat it Ahriman, your Rubric also spray painted our armor!"?

That's been in flux for a while now, and I'm not sure a definitive answer currently exists.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Randalor posted:

So what you're saying is "find an iridescent red/blue paint for their armor and blame it on the warp"?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I've got an Ahriman model I'm working on for a friend, that's kitbashed using the 30k and 40k kits, and I'm planning on painting it mid-transition, with a glowing line of "magic warp bullshit" dividing the two sections.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Floppychop posted:

I was thrown for a loop for a few seconds and wondered if I wasn't in the right thread. My first thought when hearing 'Samus' is the one from Metroid.

You’re not the only one haha

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
The PDFs seems pretty evenly split between units that are bonkers undercosted, or a bit overcosted, with a very narrow band of stuff in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
They can take Precision Shots (6+) Lascannnons - they're absolutely crazy good for killing every character your opponent has. I feel like at least one unit is almost an auto-include for IW players.