Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

War Machine live up to the hype?

Think I'd spend tokens for him since I have plenty to spare and don't need the other spotlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hobo Clown posted:

War Machine live up to the hype?

Think I'd spend tokens for him since I have plenty to spare and don't need the other spotlights.

he's been out for three hours

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Oh I didn't realize he had a waiting period

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

War Machine in one. I am very good at this game.

same, tempted to try for Silk though I only have one key.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

also WM in one and Silk in 3 (and I didn't have silver samurai either so this week is a solid win)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Got Silver Samurai (which I didn't have)
Then Martyr (which I didn't have)
And finally War Machine on the third pull.

meh, I'm ok with it

Any time you can get three cards for three keys is a good time. Even if two of those cards are marginal or bad, 1 key = 1 card is as good as the value gets in this game. Case in point, I spent 1 key and got 1 card in War Machine. I also lack Silver Samurai, but am not pulling for him because a 1/3 chance at a decent card isn't nearly as good odds as 2/4 at one decent or one good card.

This isn't directed at you, but I still feel like people in general don't really grasp how to get the most out of the Spotlight system and end up seriously handicapping their progression by spending keys inefficiently.

Semi-regular reminder about Spotlight Caches:

- Never spend keys on a 1/4 week unless you absolutely need the card
- Skip weeks whenever possible
- Always hold at least 4 keys in reserve

ijyt posted:

same, tempted to try for Silk though I only have one key.

Pursuant to my points above, you shouldn't. Silk is merely okay, and a 1/3 chance at her when you only have a single key is a terrible value. Save your key so you have a better chance at a better card later on.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 26, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hobo Clown posted:

Oh I didn't realize he had a waiting period

it's just hard to say if a card's actually good when people've barely had a chance to play him and have the meta react to him

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

it's just hard to say if a card's actually good when people've barely had a chance to play him and have the meta react to him

Esspeically for a card like WM with how broad his effect is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Took me 3 to get him but I had 5 to burn, and I unlocked another key for next week. The variants next week are pretty nice and Rulk seems good

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It took me all 4 attempts this week to get War Machine (I had 6 keys). I did not have either Silk or Silver Samurai, though, and I got Gladiator (which I also didn't have) off the random one. I'd say it's a win, as I'd probably stop at War Machine if I got him in 1.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
2 keys and the first gave me a Hercules I didn't have. Dodged the variants I won't use and got 2 cards, W imo

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

orenronen posted:

It took me all 4 attempts this week to get War Machine (I had 6 keys). I did not have either Silk or Silver Samurai, though, and I got Gladiator (which I also didn't have) off the random one. I'd say it's a win, as I'd probably stop at War Machine if I got him in 1.

This is the perfect approach. Draw the cards you need, and skip any you don't, even if you don't have them so that when you get unlucky it still turns into a 4 for 4 week because you're missing enough marginal and bad cards to still hit a full set.

Well done. You are unironically good at playing Marvel Snap Economy.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
All that's left in my cache is silver sammy, which I don't have. Think I'll save my keys... Rulk seems like it could be big next week, and I don't have Echo or Shaw so that's a good week. I'll stop after Rulk either way.

The next week - I want Jeff but both Agent and Mirage are meh so think it's a skip. I'll buy him with tokens. Likewise the week after is a skip.

Snowguard and Nico seem like it's worth going for White Widow after that, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah after Rulk week I will probably be skipping until White Widow. US Agent seems pretty poo poo, and Red Guardian is going to be mid at best

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Bleh War Machine in 4. Decent Silver Samurai variant, but I've already got the superior Silk spotlight from ony of her previous caches.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

This is the perfect approach. Draw the cards you need, and skip any you don't, even if you don't have them so that when you get unlucky it still turns into a 4 for 4 week because you're missing enough marginal and bad cards to still hit a full set.

Well done. You are unironically good at playing Marvel Snap Economy.

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to get to 6000 tokens from the 1100 I'm sitting on now. I have Alioth pinned, it's not projected to be in spotlights for the foreseeable future and it's the one meta-defining card I still don't have that I'm likely to put in some decks. This should get marginally easier after I'm season 3 complete probably sometime this week, right? You sometime get more tokens where there were season 3 cards before?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

orenronen posted:

You sometime get more tokens where there were season 3 cards before?

Nope, not anymore. They removed that when they added Spotlights. Gaining tokens is much more difficult now, which was kinda the trade-off for adding the Spotlight system. You still get 100 from Collector's Reserves sometimes, in addition to weekly quests and various other dribs and drabs. The only way to get a decent chunk all at once is through bundles; otherwise, it's a very slow trickle.

If you're at 1100 right now, I wouldn't expect to be at 6k for at least seven or eight weeks unless they happen to drop a decent-value gold bundle on the shop sometime soon. You could do some Token Tuesdays, but those are pretty mediocre value. In the past, it was always better to hold out for the good gold bundles, but gently caress I don't think they've done one of those since... January?

Still, I'd recommend hoarding gold whenever possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be surprised if there were any gold bundles going forward with a lot of tokens in them. That recent BP bundle only had 1000 tokens in it for 2200 gold, which is a worse value than Token Tuesday.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be surprised if there were any gold bundles going forward with a lot of tokens in them. That recent BP bundle only had 1000 tokens in it for 2200 gold, which is a worse value than Token Tuesday.

Yeah, they've turned hard away from offering any currency in gold bundles. I get it. I'm sitting on 13 keys right now, and the number is only going up week to week. If you're judicious about how you engage with the Spotlight system, then you basically don't need to spend money on progression beyond the Season Pass, which is probably not ideal for Second Dinner.

As a result of that adjustment, gold is kinda relegated to a cosmetics-only currency unless you're obsessed with having every card, good or bad, on release week.

Edit: but hey, that works fine for me since I don't give a gently caress about most cosmetics and am happy playing the game with all the cards I want to use for only $10 a month.

And still Horde You Gold because they're still likely to do holiday bundles from time to time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well you can also spend gold to buy credits so you can put that towards keys if you need to.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well you can also spend gold to buy credits so you can put that towards keys if you need to.

Yeah, but my whole point is that you never need to if you're engaging with the Spotlight system efficiently. I honestly think they kinda borked their economy on the back end, made Spotlight Keys too easy to accrue and stockpile, and now they're stuck in a situation where people who might otherwise spend money on progression don't because they made it too easy to keep up with the meta at a bargain price.

Like, gold is de facto relegated to a cosmetics-only currency, but I don't think that's what Second Dinner wants.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, but my whole point is that you never need to if you're engaging with the Spotlight system efficiently. I honestly think they kinda borked their economy on the back end, made Spotlight Keys too easy to accrue and stockpile, and now they're stuck in a situation where people who might otherwise spend money on progression don't because they made it too easy to keep up with the meta at a bargain price.

Like, gold is de facto relegated to a cosmetics-only currency, but I don't think that's what Second Dinner wants.
That's fair, but they completely came up with this on their own so it's their problem now.

I really think they should put gold back into caches if they are not going to be doing a lot of gold bundles anymore. I would sure as hell prefer gold to some lovely pixel avatar I can't even make out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Nope, not anymore. They removed that when they added Spotlights. Gaining tokens is much more difficult now, which was kinda the trade-off for adding the Spotlight system. You still get 100 from Collector's Reserves sometimes, in addition to weekly quests and various other dribs and drabs. The only way to get a decent chunk all at once is through bundles; otherwise, it's a very slow trickle.

The chart over here, which I believe is up to date, says the two reserves in a group of nine that were reserved for series 3 cards are a 50-50 chance between a gold ticket and 100 tokens when you're S3 complete. So in a group of nine reserves I have a guaranteed 100 tokens now, and it's going to potentially be 200 or 300 after I get my final 3 S3 cards. Still not much but can get there faster.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's fair, but they completely came up with this on their own so it's their problem now.

I really think they should put gold back into caches if they are not going to be doing a lot of gold bundles anymore. I would sure as hell prefer gold to some lovely pixel avatar I can't even make out.

Oh yeah, if they did gently caress up, then that's on them for sure.

I just don't know that they have a way out of it other than hoping that people eventually forget that currency was a thing they used to offer in gold bundles. They obviously can't alter or roll back the Spotlight system without making everyone furious. Given the shitload of cosmetics in the game, I would also support adding gold back into caches and letting it just become the cosmetics currency.

orenronen posted:

The chart over here, which I believe is up to date, says the two reserves in a group of nine that were reserved for series 3 cards are a 50-50 chance between a gold ticket and 100 tokens when you're S3 complete. So in a group of nine reserves I have a guaranteed 100 tokens now, and it's going to potentially be 200 or 300 after I get my final 3 S3 cards. Still not much but can get there faster.

That's correct, I was only referring to the Token yields before the Spotlight System dropped. Back then, you used to get 100-400 tokens in the S3 slot and now it's a fixed 100. So you still get some, it's just far fewer than before.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 27, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh yeah, if they did gently caress up, then that's on them for sure.

I just don't know that they have a way out of it other than hoping that people eventually forget that currency was a thing they used to offer in gold bundles. They obviously can't alter or roll back the Spotlight system without making everyone furious. Given the shitload of cosmetics in the game, I would also support adding gold back into caches and letting it just become the cosmetics currency.
It's going to de facto become the cosmetics currency even if they don't do anything. They clearly aren't going to offer generous gold bundles anymore like that MMM/Enchantress one from October that had like 6K tokens plus a new card, plus a variant and credits and boosters.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's going to de facto become the cosmetics currency even if they don't do anything. They clearly aren't going to offer generous gold bundles anymore like that MMM/Enchantress one from October that had like 6K tokens plus a new card, plus a variant and credits and boosters.

I think we'll still see one or two around the holidays, but otherwise, I agree. And that's fine by me, because again, the Spotlight Caches are such a cheap way to keep up with progression that I don't really care if my gold just piles up. Unlike credits there's no cap.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I just started buying variants with my stockpile of gold once I figured out gold bundles aren't going to be a real thing anymore. It's kind of fun tbh.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

That's all my gold's ever gone to since I started playing. Been trying to get one for every card, still waiting for Havok to get a shop variant at all.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'm just spending gold on token tuesdays because I don't see any other use for it. Maybe I'll start getting variants instead.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Devo posted:

Bleh War Machine in 4. Decent Silver Samurai variant, but I've already got the superior Silk spotlight from ony of her previous caches.

Same good thing I saved 4 keys!!!!!!!!!

I'm not mad* about missing Red Hulk next week because a) he'll probably get nerfed real fast if he's any good b) I already have more fat 6 drops than I know what to do with c) I have Shadow King

*I'm mad

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yeah ngl I'm not really feeling the Red Hulk hype outside of "this specifically fucks up She Hulk/Infininaut decks" which, cool on its own I guess, but I'm just kinda meh about. Maybe there are other/better use cases I'm just not thinking of.

I'm going to roll for White Widow, though, because I still have daydreams about debuff decks being good in Snap again some day. :sigh:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Also I really dig the base War Machine card art, it feels like it looks... slightly better than the usual "Marvel house style" for base cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Also I really dig the base War Machine card art, it feels like it looks... slightly better than the usual "Marvel house style" for base cards.
It's sure a lot better than that lovely Pandart variant. Those this season are just awful

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I don't know if I'm seeing Red Hulk. He needs to proc at least twice (while in hand/play) to be good, and your opponent has more control than you over whether or not that happens.

Seems too conditional for a 6-drop.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
red hulk would be good in a theoretical game mode where you get to sideboard but yeah just put a different big dumb idiot in your deck that you can actually build around

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Took me four keys to get WM, but it was all new cards, including Black Knight which I've been saving tokens to buy in the shop. He's no longer pinned!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So! How is Warm Achine!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Got War Machine in one, which is great because I forgot I already had Silk. Now to see what I can do with him....first game of course has Bar with No Name, Death's Domain and Sinister London. Thanks, game.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

So! How is Warm Achine!

Cool until I remembered I only like playing control. Guess I could toss Warms and Infinaut in a deck with Shang and Enchantress or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

psychopomp posted:

All that's left in my cache is silver sammy, which I don't have. Think I'll save my keys... Rulk seems like it could be big next week, and I don't have Echo or Shaw so that's a good week. I'll stop after Rulk either way.

The next week - I want Jeff but both Agent and Mirage are meh so think it's a skip. I'll buy him with tokens. Likewise the week after is a skip.

Snowguard and Nico seem like it's worth going for White Widow after that, though.

Ugh. Forgot that Shaw and Echo were both next week, too. I don't have either, so it would be a very rare 3/3 week, but I really want War Machine and only have 5 keys. I could conceivably get another two by the end of Red Hulk week, but not a full 8. Guess I'll probably take a couple stabs at WM and see if I need to evaluate from there.