Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

what about if they sleep on their back

Nobody actually does that, that's just in films and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bring in capsule hotels, make em dirt cheap.

I'd 100% use those, they look cosy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

winegums posted:

Hi goons, long time no see.

I've recently gotten more active in medical politics, particularly with our doctors union the British Medical Association. At our recent conference a key motion was passed:

So in the next 6-9 months there's going to be a vote amongst doctors below consultant grade, to undertake industrial action. Unlike the previous utterly gutless IA this would be up to and including full withdrawal of labour.

This is due to a lot of lovely factors in the job, but the real motivator here has been sub-inflation pay rises putting us about 22% below what we were paid in 2008. Hence the push for full pay restoration.

The BMA is going to have to act as a proper trade union for the first time in decades. There's been a real shift in mood amongst active members, from tolerating the pay and conditions and not wanting to appear greedy or ungrateful, to us looking at the second round of IA in 10 years (I think the last IA before that was in the 70s). We even passed a conference motion asking the BMA to "recognise and apologise for its failure to protect junior doctors’ pay over this period".

Year on year I've seen more and more doctors stop working in the NHS. Many of the more junior doctors are just loving off to Australia, which is just as racist as the UK but with better weather and far, far better pay and work conditions. This used to be something people would do for a bit of a 1-year sabbatical, but fewer people are returning. Those that are staying here are now working less than full time and picking up side hustles like cosmetic injection work. The outpatient care available in the NHS now is already dogshit and I genuinely don't think the NHS will provide it at all in 10 years' time. We'll provide a low quality inpatient service and all outpatient work will be private.

So I suppose I'm interested to know what you guys think. I want to get out of the echo chamber I'm in and enter another. I know the media will want to monster us because the media are sickos. Do you think the public would be on side with this? Do you think it even matters?

I don't think it matters. Or, it does, but that's no reason not to do it.

Things are only going to get shitter and shitter and shitter. If not now, when? Strike.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

appeh jubbleh luvvehs what yiz doin fit' jubbleh weekend?!?!??!??! :britain: :holy:

My partner's dad was invited to a jubee bash tomorrow by his neighbour

He said 'no thanks, I'd rather shoot the old bag'

Lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

I give my permission as someone who’s going on a massive drugs bender tomorrow to strike. My heart ain’t as important as workers rights! (This sounds sarcastic but isn’t) (don’t worry just going to primavera, not on some depressive thing) (no, the Spanish health service won’t be dealing with me - the high should just about keep me alive til I return, then it’s touch and go)

Enjoy your bender! Drugs are excellent (within reason, or at least mostly within so)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

My lodger is moving out because he's accepted a job offer for such spurious reasons as "career progression", "increased pay", and "proximity to family".

I'm genuinely gutted, it's been so lovely having company. Ugh, why is it so difficult to make friends as an adult?

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.

It really is an epidemic.

My partner goes to work, and knows all kinds of people, here and across the globe. I know three people irl in the town where I live, and I don't see em often - I spend 90% of my time knocking around the flat on my own. Often posting on these forums. Which is good, but otherwise it sucks. And I'm (usually) working too.

I'm lucky that I'm still very tight with the friends I made when friend-making was still possible (16-25), but still.

I don't know how we all inevitably get sorted into our own little boxes. It just seems to happen.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta be honest, I just want A Gang again.

I seem to be enjoying/enduring some sort of second adolescence, since the first one (in hindsight) never felt like it really belonged to me. And also I'm not sure there's much point in taking part in modern 'adult' culture, here, in the foothills of societal collapse.

I just want a bunch of other knuckleheads who're on my wavelength and around to pal around with on the weekends. But almost everyone my age has kids and careers and everyone else is young and kinda annoying (and I wouldn't know how to properly relate with them anyway)

Ah well

forkboy84 posted:

I deeply resent that I haven't had the same enjoyment from gigs since being attacked at Faith No More in Edinburgh over a decade ago and basically having a panic attack from the shock of it all. Major bummer. I hope that aggro oval office gets ball cancer

:smith: that sucks, man. Solidarity.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 2, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like I'm quite fortunate in that I never had friends growing up and so never developed the need for them as an adult, really.

I have a couple of people I trust but see infrequently, and largely am very isolated and I think the last time I did a voluntary social event was probably about fifteen years ago. I dunno, I found that I just never really like doing things with other people because I have to concentrate on them rather than the thing I am doing, much prefer doing things by myself as I can do them at my own pace and concentrate on it better.

I definitely relate to that but it can be dealt with (though I doubt you want to). Just realising that you don't have to read other people's emotions and reactions constantly and just do The Thing but Next To Each Other is a skill but it can be practiced.

It probably stems from adult figures in your childhood

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol

This is weird, feels very different to colds/flus. Don't know how to describe it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

i probably have the thing because i was at my ma's most of the day yesterday and she rang me last night to tell me she'd tested positive

managed to avoid it until now

Same. I feel quite annoyed about it, to be honest, I really did think I could hold out indefinitely.

If/when I feel better (and that "if" isn't insignificant, given what we know) I guess I am looking forward to a couple weeks of relief, though. Maybe I'll actually go inside pubs and stuff!!!

I hope if you do got it you don't got it bad, though. Take care!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

For me it felt like a 10 day hangover and sequelae of occasional headache, but everyone's trip is different. Goonspeed

It's definitely got an aspect of the hangover about it, now that you mention it. I don't actually feel that sick (yet), just completely spaced and out of it. Or, like, concussed

crispix posted:

thanks - i have three doses of vaccine and so does my mum. the person who brought it into my aunt's house (and gave it to her and in turn to my mum) is my cousin who has 0 doses of vaccine because she believes it is the mark of the beast and part of the satanic globalists' plan for the world

:smith:

Yikes. Good luck to her, I guess. My Mum and Dad also currently have it, and Dad is a 65yo overweight male recent cancer survivor with one vaccine in him from April last year. I always thought "well, what happens to him serves him right, I'm not gonna worry about it" but dammit, you still worry when it Actually Happens

Although knowing this dumbass universe he'll probably get over it quickly/problem-free while I get crippled, and then he'll feel his anti-vax views are vindicated lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Struggling to give a poo poo if Boris gets da boot today. Like, what does it even change?

I don't even have the energy for schadenfreude (the covid may have a hand in that, though, I suppose)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Ah you're just struck with a mild case of despair.

Ehh, maybe. I'm actually in a better place than I have been for awhile, I think because I've come to peace with the fact that collapse is inevitable and unarrestable, and so I'm content to just try and carve out a bit of local happiness and contentment while it's possible.

I guess it's more that this all just feels like a sideshow in the face of the crushing material forces of history. It's just palace intrigue, soap opera stuff. Grist for the newspapers, but that's about it.

Bobstar posted:

I read this as "emergency schadenfreude" and am now picturing you next to a box reading "in case of It Happening, break glass" and going "meh..."

lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sooz will have a field day

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sinky posted:

Nice, I get to not vote Labour much sooner :cool:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hardly surprising though is it

In hindsight, they would've machine gunned people in the streets before letting Corbyn's Labour take power

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The NHS is...it's just kinda dead already, isn't it?

It was never going to be just one Big Thing, it was always going to be just sorta realising it's already happened, it's already wrecked beyond repair (at least any sort of repair permissible under late capitalism/absolute regulatory capture)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Maybe we need extraterrestrial intervention and Posadas was on to something.

Unfortunately the aliens don't seem particularly interested in saving us, a couple of weird interventions at ICBM sites notwithstanding

If there's gonna be a miracle, w're gonna have to provide it - it's us or no-one (so no-one)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Like ultimately, who cares? Just chill out and let people live their lives. It's the easiest thing in the world. All you have to do is absolutely nothing. Next time you get the urge to Log On just go watch a movie or something.

This is what really gets on my tits about it, yeah. It's just so intrusive. So presumptious to think they can just jump in with their Opinions that are axiomatically correct because they're Sensible People Who Know What's Best For Everyone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm glad I never had kids.

As much as I love my nieces - they mean the world to me - sometimes I kind of wish my brother didn't either

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

With apologies for the meme format, I'm rather fond of this take:

https://twitter.com/StrongMatt420/status/1536338200108716032

I'm sure your nieces will grow up to be part of the solution and you get to be the cool uncle which is a great role to have.

Well, I mean them science men seem to think that there's a 90% chance that there isn't a solution and I guess I don't think it's worth them dying of starvation or violence when they're approximately my age just on a 10% things may be slightly less Permanently hosed but I'm a glass half empty kinda guy (and I recognise that while human extinction isn't something we've had to deal with since that one genetic bottleneck way back when, dying young by starvation or violence has been common as muck for all but the last hundred years or so and even then it's only not been as big a problem in the global north, so I suppose I can't complain that they won't be as spoiled as we have been)

But yes, I am the cool uncle and I am really enjoying that

EDIT sorry, don't feel any requirement to reply, I really don't wanna drag anyone into the misery spiral (I know that that's an impulse I have and I'm trying to fight it) so I'm gonna drop the subject now

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 14, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds to me like a critical lack of boostraps

These kids and their indolent parents should bootstrap up some bootstraps

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Had a little tear at this, not going to lie

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Same.

Our descent into fascism genuinely terrifies me, and it's one of the main catalysts fuelling my mental health spirals. Having Patel and Truss publicly and very visibly fail like this feels loving amazing. Relish the win my friend.

:hfive:

Yeah, between this and imminent global omnicide it's all a bit tough at the moment. Message me if you wanna talk, man. I'm always around.

But also yeah, in the present, for now, I'm delighted and - not going to lie - amazed that some combination of people and professionals (who are also people, but you know what I mean) managed to halt this atrocity, even if only for a few hours, days or weeks

Just for now, but at least for now, eh

mr_jolly posted:

Owned lol

lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

escapegoat posted:

Feels like this was planned TBH.

N.I. protocol, lefty European lawyers interfering with are sovereignty, clearly we didn't brexit hard enough.

This occurred to me about three minutes ago and I got a sinking feeling but gently caress it, I'll enjoy the next 24 hours or so before another Good Thing is bulldozed by A Bad Thing again

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

The Boris administration clearly has a really stupid game-plan in mind where they pick a fight with lawyers and the ECHR to look tough to their base of gammons after a series of bruisings but there's no saying it will go well, and failing to dispatch a single person on their stupid hateful plane is definitely a miss for them.

Absolutely.

If there's one thing I've learned from End Stage Capitalism it's that there is nothing - No Thing - it can't reverse or pervert in practically an instant. Nothing. It will take anything decent and make it obscene, because that's how power works.

But for this short interval, I am absolutely delirious that they failed to dispatch a single person on their stupid hateful plane. Just for now.

gently caress the Tory Party, and its every member, and its every supporter. gently caress you.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Charlie the unicorn

This somehow passed me by until I met my partner, who introduced it to me early in our relationship.

I don't know how it passed me, a long term highly internet poisoned person, by, but not her, but I guess we're talking about mysteries today anyway huh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Member Arfenhouse?

Member Salad Fingers?

Member Cat Splat?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If ever we live long enough to be put into nursing homes this is what it's going to be like.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ijyt posted:

Sorry for the old rear end reply but this resonated with me, I only came out as gay last year when I was 30 and it feels like the last 10 years weren't at all mine.

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm really glad you've reclaimed your life; never too late to be yourself :unsmith: It can be really really tough but it's always worth it in the end

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Got the 'rona lmao.

Who knew spending four days in a packed conference hall was risky?

Most important thing is to rest/sleep as much as possible. I'm aware of what a problem actually having time to rest can be, though.

I hope it's not too bad. Remember that you might feel better after a few days - but you might have a double dip around day 8.

Take it easy.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

As anyone from Plymouth will tell you, the North begins at Sainsbury's.

Hahaha

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

English Football Fans go WOKE: Study finds three quarters of footie fans WOULD NOT throw a bench through a restaurant window when travelling abroad and two-thirds have walked up the shop and only bought a 4-pack of Stella, drinking only one or two on returning home and not engaging in domestic violence, nearly half say they have petted a Cat and ENJOYED IT.

This is the future liberals want!

Disgusting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I really loving hate this oval office. The nerve of it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That last clip in there (the Sophy Ridge one) is really, really, really good.

I mean, it's all amazing, but dang.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah, CSPAM posters

https://i.imgur.com/mSfmE22.mp4

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 24, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

loving

gently caress

loving BBCODE

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Zalakwe posted:

Starting to wonder if the ray of political light we're looking for is nothing to do with parties at all but the rivival of the unions.

Lot's of workers feeling emboldened by RMT this week.

Always has been

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Those were The Sekret Wars

You were never meant to know about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Found Keith's secret lair

https://twitter.com/sw1a0aa/status/1540125397681115137?s=20&t=BUPVGKz62wx9D-wKvwCQ_Q