Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

The Jubilee is two days off because her birthday national holiday was moved to make a longer long weekend. Normally it would be next week (her actual birthday was two weeks ago)

Isn't the second day just the May bank holiday we always have, moved a week later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Went for a walk on the common and there was barely anyone out for the Joobs. Barely a single shred of bunting. Shameful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

"She works hard" doing what? I always hear it but I never get an answer. Doing what?

She basically just had a busy social calendar and hasn't even done that for a few decades.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

there is an official brick that is used to make sure the door doesn't close tight if everyone has to leave and the brick is also temporarily PM during any such evacuation

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tsietisin posted:

Same, but End of Days for me.

poo poo like this is why they went under.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

That looks horrendous and yet I bet the mash tastes amazing.

Yeah if you just drained the swamp water out of it it'd probably be great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just some Grenfel stuff to make your blood boil

It keeps going from there. But essentially everybody who knew didn't care and those who didnt didn't care to learn.

I'm going to give my psyche a break and assume all of these people are currently serving multiple life sentences.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In London at least masks are basically gone. You'll get maybe one in ten people wearing them on the tube if it's busy. They're barely even worn in medical settings anymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1537043554773630978?t=eGq03wv5Hatpvg26of3OtA&s=09

The words of a very un-boring man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539156744617791489?s=20&t=ldDLoJgd_AArlTi9W_0WjA

My definitely real 17 year old lodger from Ukraine who has never heard of trade unions, & apparently doesn't realise that buses exist.

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539186656665812992?t=44pyKDKsd6PIG_05yShkgg&s=19

My Ukrainian is just out of frame, crying

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BalloonFish posted:

Another good bit of strike commentary from a rather unlikely source - wouldn't expect a passionate defence of the labour movement from someone I remember on the Disney Channel, and on Jeremy Vine's show as well.

https://twitter.com/jemmaforte/status/1539218052604108805?t=AYp6JhM4aIIWoG33y8jCwA&s=19

Really stark difference between facts and "common sense"

Hearing a normal, rational human being trying to talk through sense into some rando screeching 'Summer of discontent!' over and over gave me an actual headache.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any reason this rail strike in particular has gotten so much media attention? I don't remember any of the other rail strikes in the last decade rattling the right like this.

"Day we went back to the 70s". It's three days of trains running a limited schedule like they do all the time for various reasons. Get a loving grip.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder if he'll never be invited back after this week, or if every channel will want him on constantly for the ~engagement~. I guess it depends if the clicks are worth letting the country be a little bit radicalised.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isn't the whole point of Discovery that they discovered mushroom travel but due to circumstances no one else ever got to use it? Idk I dropped out after season 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And from the parents I know if your toddler so much as sniffles a bit funny they get sent home immediately and your fee isn't refunded.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's just one of a million examples of him not taking his job seriously and treating it as a power fantasy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Szmitten posted:

I caught a broadcast of this 15~ years ago intending to laugh because it sounded absurd to me and then I somehow ended up buying the DVD. Subsequent live shows are very different and have Liam Neeson as the Narrator. And they incorporated the Martian intro cutscene from his video game adaptation (this might be on the original show too).

I saw the Liam Neeson version ages back when it was playing in Tottenham Court Road and it was delightfully quaint and low budget. The music's as great today as it was decades ago though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do their readership not think it's odd that the Mail pivots between fauning over their fearless strong mighty leader Johnson and spitting on his body every week or two?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BastardySkull posted:

The Emperor came back.

If Johnson announces his return to politics via Fortnite this will have all been worth it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fuctifino posted:

My prediction is Boris will have a spy inside the 1922 committee text him the names of the new committee members as they are voted in, and all he has to do is remove their whips. They'll no longer be able to take part in the committee on account of no longer being Tories.

He should really just remove the whip of every MP that voted against him last time. That'd show 'em!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ he's asked all his loyal MPs to stand behind him while he gives a speech. Pathetic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Most of it is just about how great he is and what a stonking big mandate he has.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Surely by now everyone can see through the paper thin facade of bumbling charm.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

A new gang tag would be nice, mainly I want shot of this stupid Pissflaps one though

Yeah that'd be nice now that I think about it..

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

:siren:

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1522146069207035907?t=HU7IQKdtKXMcjAoLxqb2_w&s=19

90% of Tories this week.

Boot out Flaps for this one please.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

I should get back to Elden Ring. I got to the horrible goopy red place and both the environment and baddies were so viscerally unpleasant I just kinda gave up

EDIT but I'm avoiding playing games at the moment anyway since it creates a lot of heat and it's already too flipping hot

I think that place is technically optional if you want to swerve it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shame he didn't go with A New Start.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chubby Henparty posted:

My friend has the repulsed-by-cucumbers gene which is apparently a known thing and will also protect them from being surprised by American brown snakes?

Aeropresses rule

It's real. Cucumbers are loving sickening. The smell makes me feel sick. My aunt agrees.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Personally I wouldn't want to be accused of being a token hire specifically employed to legitimise a fictional antisemitic hate campaign but idk what the legal definition of defamation is.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 25, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DesperateDan posted:

if you missed this, don't, it's cathartic as gently caress

not sure how she held it together so well tbh cause I would be well into inarticulate/inchoate screaming by the ten second point whereas she just got 'im telt

Assuming there's a GE in the next year I cannot wait for more scenes like this. The man doesn't deserve a moment of peace.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonna be honest I'm not sure why this has been in the news so much - or at all

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

what is the capacity of the babby bin is what i want to know

what happens if someone shows up with one and there's already one in there

Leave a baby take a baby

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Got a hilarious prank email from British Gas today trying to persuade me to change to a fixed tariff.

Can't wait to jump on that sweet sweet deal. God save britannia

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scientastic posted:

I would advise a mortgage broker too, ours was free because he doesn’t charge first time buyers (brokers get paid a fee by the mortgage provider, it’s outrageous that they get away with charging the customer as well), and he got us tens of thousands more than we were getting on our own. We literally wouldn’t be in the house I’m posting this from if it hadn’t been for his help.

I don’t know where you live, but if it’s anywhere near London, I’m sure I can dig up his details and send them to you…

I'd be up for this too if possible. We're viewing houses in London at the minute and have a few decisions in principle, but we're pretty clueless about what happens once we actually decide to put an offer down.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shells are like perfect little boats full of bolognese. Yum yum yum.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MeinPanzer posted:

When I buy a Coke they don’t give me 1/4 of a can for 3 quid or whatever.

Tbf loads of places charge £4 for a tiny 150ml glass bottle of Coke to drink with a massive meal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah most of the panel show circuit seems to be defending it with "I don't know the context but I'm sure there was a good artistic reason for the slur". Wonder how long it'll be before a recording gets out and the "Ah... Well nethertheless"ing kicks off.

The only sort of reasonable context I can think of is if he were doing an ironic bit about racist tories being conflicted by BAME right wing MPs (or something along those lines) but... That's both very unlikely and still not a good justification.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The bastards couldn't even wait one year before making Severance happen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Microplastics posted:

I'd be tempted to take the latter on the basis that:

1. The government will step in and you won't risk paying absurd prices in the future

2. The government won't step in and your utility bill will be the least of your worries

This is where I'm at at the moment. The fixed rate offer is stupidly expensive but if it goes up more than that I simply will not be able to pay so gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mourning Due posted:

I know it's a bit "fiddling while Rome burns" as the tickets aren't cheap BUT: gently caress me, that Abba Voyage virtual concert was enjoyable!

Fiddle away - not like there's anything else to do.

Holy moly those are some expensive tickets though to what is essentially a light show.