Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Lady Gaza posted:

What’s the legality of owning guns in the uk? My neighbour has what looks like some kind of army truck (it has wheels and treads), but yesterday for the first time I saw it had a mounted gun fixed to the top. Seems like this shouldn’t be allowed??
It will be inactivated (no actual firing mechanism), and/or blocked barrel or a hole drilled through the breech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

It would be pretty funny to set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes!

Any collection of words, sufficient advanced, will be indistinguishable from a shitpost.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I've been saying this for a while. Burnham has been setting up the long game for this. He's neatly sidestepped Brexit without getting poo poo on his shoes, and if he keeps murmuring the right things while Keith is kept rudderless, it's an easy win after the next election when Keith loses/lib dem - tory coalition rises once more.

E: So, Burnham needs to be an MP before trying for leader, so he needs an election. Boris is going to need an election to get the 22 lot off his back, much like Theresa tried, but it wont work due to his toxicity, but Keith wont get labour over the top either. I suspect Lib Dem fightback will deliver a Lib/Tory coalition if the election happens in the next 2 years. This will be massively supported by the media. After getting a seat from this, and Keith cocking it up, AB challenges for the lead and in this field I dont see anyone coming second. Blairites like him, the left can tolerate him cos he hasn't stabbed them yet, and then 2-3 years later after coalition collapses/the burning trash fire gets too much and there's now an acceptable opposition - then comes the next election and the switch to sensible Blair II : The Burnham Boogaloo.

Oh, sorry, Big mac meal please///

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 28, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

Iain Banks was a brilliant ideas guy but his books tended to be kind of rushed and poorly edited, so the great ideas didn't translate into great novels. I read once that his working pattern was to start a book in the new year, then take the rest of the year off once he'd finished it, so he was always eager to get it out of the way as quickly as possible (He preferred playing the Civilization games to actually writing, which I can completely empathise with).

I think a lot of his books would have been greatly improved if he'd taken a few months to revise and rewrite the original draft. Thing is, once he'd got sufficiently famous, people would go out and buy whatever he produced (I was one of these people!), so he never had the incentive to craft a polished final version.

I think he got to the stage of super-succesful, so no editor dares to do a decent job any more. There's some great setups and ideas, but sometimes it gets muddied, or lost in pages of exposition about something that is relevant for just the last paragraph where the story happens. For example, my favourite novel is the Algabraeist, which isn't even a Culture novel - as long as you like skip-read the first quarter or so until he actually starts the mission. From then on it is excellent, before that, its B+ at best.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Also, if they are quick, they swap leaders and get an election in before labour hoof Keir and get someone with an opinion. In the worst case, Boris and Keir go at about the same time and we have a 'clean slate' election between Hunt and Raynor by Christmas, and it will be tax cuts and privatised NHS all round. Huzzah!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

forkboy84 posted:

boats that she deems as being at risk of containing migrants
Ahem. It's 'With Migrant carrying potential'
E: 'Or that can be modified to carry migrants within 45 minutes'

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

EvilHawk posted:

Lmao there's no way that he was going to do an (enforced) cabinet reshuffle and choose to get rid of people? He can barely fill the seats as is.

Being so poo poo that even in that circumstance they try and get rid of you. Kind of reminds me of a company I knew that had a hostile take over, so they all didn't turn up the next day and sent in their notice... apart from one guy who nobody told.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Guavanaut posted:

This is why Sheffield is the true capital and also the ninth Rome, being built on seven hills (along with all the other places that claim that because you can count a fractal number of elevations within any given boundary).
I lived there for 10 years and came to the conclusion that Sheffield is a non-euclidean spacetime where your destination is uphill, irrespective of where you start from. Apart from Manor Top, which is the part of Hades simulation that went too deep and the coordinates wrapped around.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Relief is on the way. It's clouded up here in South Wales, and the temperature is starting to drop.
Got a couple of hours before the lightning starts I reckon.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not a million miles from you and it's 33C and full-on sun here and no rain drops on the forecast at all.
I think OP must be over Merthyr / Port Talbot / Neath way.

I'm near the coast by Llantwit, we've even had a spot of rain. It's cooler outside than in now, and as humid as a very humid thing.
Lightning maps has strikes happening over mid-Wales right now, but its just overcast here.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Convex posted:

Brexit: UK's divorce bill from EU could rise to £42.5bn

good thing we have a massive, unfixed multi-decade liability going into the biggest economic depression of all time

Brexit was a years long project to sink the pound and profit from it. The harder the brexit, the lower the pound, the more money they made.
Everything, petrol prices, the increasing cost, is due to the pound being hilariously low (<1.2 dollars now!) but as this was the whole point (and how they are making the fortune from it), then just see how the press avoids actually mentioning it at all.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Miftan posted:

Bounties are as bad as chocolate oranges.

I have never met anyone with taste as wrong as yours.

Yes, I used to smoke a pack a day when I was younger, why do you ask?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Parma violets are modelled after old lady perfume.
If you like them, then you want to have sex with old ladies, and that's a fact.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dark chocolate is best eaten... cooked into a nice dark chocolate fudge cake.
I can attest to this recipe too, but it requires 500g chocolate - (over 50% dark and it will taste too bitter), 300g double cream, 200g butter, 400g of sugar, which I think puts the calorific density somewhere between crude oil and uranium.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Flux Wildly posted:

There’s a couple points here where I assumed the feed had frozen but nah just Keefbot forensically flailing https://twitter.com/saulstaniforth/status/1551824740939071488?s=21&t=xljuCVexllakurKIc2ee6Q

This was on while I was having my morning coffee, and I used it as an object lesson for my daughter in how politicians say a load of shite and completely avoid answering the question. She's only 12 and she could tell he was basically trying to lie by not saying anything of substance.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Also, if you get your water from a reservoir, it will follow seasonal temperatures but just lagging by 2-3 weeks.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite bit in the Truss reacting to the fall clip is after she recovers, she side-eyes Rishi and then slowly moves towards the body. Some real "did she drink the poisoned water glass meant for me?" vibes

Liz Truss: OMG it worked! I actually bored someone to death!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Vetinari did it.
Privatise assassination and sell off the right the steal from anyone not 'insured', would probably go down quite well with the Tory base tbh.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mebh posted:

They're gonna do that aren't they. Quietly dispatch the stairmaster for someone slightly more politically acceptable to the left and folks will eat it up.

I mean, i do hope they are that politically shrewd to realise most people think the leader is the problem and use Starmer as a bullet shield, but I have my doubts.

Yes, Andy Burnham has been in the wings for a while, being Mayor to avoid all Brexit backlash and polishing lefty credentials while being a child of Blair. He'll be standing at the next winnable byelection, and you can expect a leadership election soon after that with him as the unity candidate.

Even the best laid plans of Labour do not include women or PoC at the top.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Lungboy posted:

As a counterpoint to the survey issue, I'd never bother again with an official survey, much better off if you know a good builder to take them along instead. We paid out for a full structural survey and it was utterly useless. They mentioned every other type of survey going to cover their own arses and couldn't even get the basics right, like declaring the wall ties were failing on a house with no cavity walls. You also can't guarantee you'll be able to tag along with them.
Yeah, I paid for a full survey and they just reported the usual 'this is old and might need repair'. When I went into the attic myself, there were 2 full buckets sitting on tarps under obvious holes that had been 'hidden' when he stuck his head up briefly.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

We're down around 1.2 dollars to the pound, so those with multimillion pound foreign investments have seen a 15-20% rise since the start of the year! that will make those fuel bills a bit eeasier. Huh? We pay global rates which are priced in dollars? so the scheme to goose the exchange rate to get rich quick is colliding with the scheme to convert the national assets into private company assets that trade globally in dollars? And we're all hosed?
It's the Brexit dividend at last!
(Still virtually no mention in the media about the exchange rate catastrophe which is driving this, and is source of the real brexit dividends to those with large foreign investments)

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

It's pretty much the opposite of Walter Mitty. All he did was imagine himself out of his drudgery, and don't we all? I know I play my guitar to sellout stadiums in my mind, but in truth my dog slinks out the room when I even reach in its general direction.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I must demand the recipe for this cake please.

If it was the one I posted a few weeks back, it's this one. My daughter won her first PTA cake competition with it (she helped a bit, honest). She won a spoon. Most expensive wooden spoon I've ever had.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Microplastics posted:

Absolutely brutal. The "Wooden Spoon" is the traditional prize for worst entry

In a kids cookery competition, it was the only prize. Everyone else got nothing.
However, until 1909 in Cambridge, the person who got the lowest mark in maths had to sit in a chair while a giant wooden spoon was lowered ceremonially during the graduation ceremony:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Keir Starmer in the bottom left outed as a tory voter I see.