Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Found it..

Old dears in 1969 complaining about the new-fangled 7-sided 50p coin (replacing the ten bob note) and how easy it is to mix up with a no-sided, round, 2 shilling (10p) or half crown. (12.5p)
Vox pops from Birmingham market.
I remember the news being full of it at the time. I was 9 years old.

https://www.macearchive.org/films/midlands-news-21101969-new-50-pence-piece

Bring back big, old brown pennies. 4 blackjacks for 1d it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Nobody actually does that, that's just in films and stuff

erm......

I don't set off to sleep on my back usually on one side, but almost ways wake up that way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

quote:

The prime minister has claimed it would be irresponsible for him to quit over the Partygate scandal, admitting it had been a “totally miserable” experience for his staff.

It's not the loving parties you loving asswipe, it's the continual lying and cheating.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-resign-no-confidence-vote-latest-b2091422.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-community-council-meeting-halted-27112772

quote:

A community council meeting was halted by a naked man who joined the video call in a bath.

Members of the Oban Community Council were left shocked after the stranger, who spoke with an English accent, joined the conference from his bathroom and made lewd comments towards attendees.

Argyll and Bute councillor Andrew Vennard was interrupted by the naked hacker who appeared on camera before lying back in a bath with his genitals on display.

On returning, community councillor Duncan Martin noted that the man was "obviously from somewhere south of the border going by his accent."

"I do not understand why they would target Oban, but I hope this doesn't happen again."

I went to Oban once.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mumsnet - first question to Spaffer:

"Why should we believe anything you say when it's been proven you're a habitual liar?"

https://twitter.com/AlexofBrown/status/1531969453306654721?s=20&t=JrumDbbzsxDTEXe2-Xa5CQ

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

appeh jubbleh luvvehs what yiz doin fit' jubbleh weekend?!?!??!??! :britain: :holy:

I think I've upset my mum by saying I'm not joining a family Jubilee tea party on her lawn tomorrow.
Even though ever since she took me to see Dr Zhivago when I was 13 to make me not-a-commie (I had posters of Lenin on my bedroom walls) it made more of a lefty.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

When I first moved back to this town about 6 years ago (I left when I went to uni in the late 70s), I have a handful of family knocking around locally as a kind of 'starter pack'.
Apart from that, I got a part-time job as a cleaner in the local pub so there were people I could say hello to in the street which might seem daft but was actually helpful!

After joining the local Labour Party, I met people that way, and now the covid restrictions are lifted, the quiz night down the pub which I've started going to again most weeks with some of my former comrades (all but 1 of whom have quit Starmer's party) is rebuilding those friendships.

I've picked up with 1 or 2 old school friends who I haven't seen for over 40 years (but who I got on well with at school though not to the extent of staying in touch over the years) still lurking around the town and extremely coincidentally found out last week that my mum's new house is right next door to one of them!

As a basically very shy person, utterly useless at small talk, I always found making friends difficult. I moved schools numerous times as my folks kept moving and they would often move mid school year so all the groups and cliques were all sorted by the time I arrived which I found incredibly difficult to break in to.
Having upped sticks and moved abroad without a job or a 'gentleman companion' to hand and just the names of a few people I had met on an online country-based forum, dumped myself in a strange land. I recommend joining up with a group - whether it's church, politics, community action, darts, quizzes, slimming world or whatever just to sort of start meeting people in a non-intense way.

I don't think any of the people I've become friends with in the past 5 years are bosom buddies (yet - it takes me forever to make friends) and my closest friends I've known for 40/45 years (but none of whom live remotely near me!), but if I was really stuck or in need, I am pretty confident that I could count on help in some way.

Also, don't knock online friendships - I've built up some good online friendships with a handful of people who know my real name, and I know theirs. Eg when I was seriously stuck for accommodation for 3 months some years ago, I posted a moan on facebook and two people who I did know in real life but not very well messaged me offering me free accommodation, people I would never have dreamed of in a million years of asking for help. One online friend from Moldova even phoned me up during the Egyptian revolution to see if I was ok - all the way from Moldova - we'd never spoken before! This isn't all one way btw - it's not just about me getting help, but I have also helped out a couple of friends in different ways.

Lady Demelza posted:

Yeah, all my friends scattered for work, and although we chat and meet up a few times a year, we're too far apart to see each other regularly. Same with family.

I see loads of people from work and at the various places I volunteer, but that doesn't translate into anything. A couple of my colleagues are happy to come over or host of an evening, but don't really like going anywhere or doing anything, and yet everyone is amazed when I toddle off to gigs or restaurants or whatever by myself, as if there was any other option.

It was nice to be able to go to the pub and chat with someone. Ah well.

I started going to gigs on my own back in the late 80s. None of my friends had any taste in music shared my musical tastes and I might have to go to 10 Bon Jovis / Status Quos to get one of 'my' type gigs out of them. Then Cliff Burton was killed and I had a jolly good chat to myself and decided that if I didn't start going to gigs on my own I was never going to see these bands. So anyway, over the next couple of years I gradually built up a group of guys to meet up with at gigs and we would phone each other up if we heard on the grapevine that, for example, a support band called Damage Inc* were going to play the Marquee a night or two before Metallica were due to play Wembley. You get the picture. Ok, we're not bosom buddies, but one of them is one of the people who offered me accommodation mentioned above, and I'm FB friends with a few of them over 30 years later and in regular (well birthday / xmas) contact with a couple of the others.
*these were really Metallica under assumed name, not the modern tribute band.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, some of my best friends are people I met through metal shows. There's some awful people in scene but there are some wonderful folk too.

I deeply resent that I haven't had the same enjoyment from gigs since being attacked at Faith No More in Edinburgh over a decade ago and basically having a panic attack from the shock of it all. Major bummer. I hope that aggro oval office gets ball cancer

Yeah bummer. A friend of mine had a battery thrown at him at a Slayer gig - I don't think it was particularly aimed at him, he was just the unlucky guy that got hit - cut him just above his eyes - had his mugshot in Kerrang. (I think, that or Metal Hammer but I think it was Kerrang).
Worst damage I ever suffered was a black eye the one and only time I got right in the mosh pit. A peripheral person after that!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/06/01/stonewall-lgbtq-pride-month-study-2022/

quote:

Anti-LGBTQ+ hate comes from just tiny minority of UK public, eye-opening study finds

The UK public is most likely to have feelings of respect and admiration towards LGBTQ+ community, according to new research from Stonewall.

The research – published by the charity on the first day of Pride Month 2022, which also marks 50 years since the first Pride march in the UK – surveyed 2,000 adults across the UK to measure public sentiment towards LGBTQ+ people.

Given a choice of words to describe their feelings toward different sections of the community, the most commonly chosen word was “respect”, followed by “admiration”.

The proportion of respondents who chose the word “respect” was around a third across the board, although people were more likely to say they felt respect for lesbian and gay people (38 per cent and 37 per cent) than bi or trans people (32 per cent and 31 per cent).

Trans people garnered the most admiration from the public (21 per cent), while 19 per cent said they admired gay and lesbian people, and 16 per cent said they admired bisexuals, “which may be related to biphobic stereotypes”, Stonewall noted.

Despite relentless fear-mongering in both the media and the UK government about trans people and trans rights, just four per cent of respondents said they felt “fear” towards trans folk, the same proportion that felt fear towards the rest of the LGBTQ+ community.

Less than 10 per cent of the public chose the word “disgust” when thinking about queer people – nine per cent for gay people, eight per cent for trans and bi people, and just 7 per cent for lesbians – showing that homophobia, biphobia and transphobia are limited to a tiny minority of the UK population.

etc

A comment under the article suggests caution in interpreting the results thus. I think I agree with them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

They are calling themselves the "Bad Law Project."

This is like when Magneto named his group The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants*. You are doing a bad job of branding.

* = One if my favourite parts about this is in Marvel Universe the problem members had with the name was that it was called Brotherhood, and thus didn't feel inclusive enough.
They didn't seem to mind the Evil Mutants part.

Reminds me of a time back in my relative youth when, out after work in my work suit somewhere in Camden where you could get large jugs of cocktails for £5, drunk as a skunk, went to the ATM to get some cash. A black guy pushed in front of me. "Fascist pig" I shouted after him in my drunken state. "What did you call me?" he said. "Fascist pig" I replied. "Oh" he said, "That's ok".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And imagine all those horrifying displays of little kiddies' dancing and singing off tune that she has to endure with a smile.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Princess Diamond cruise ship (that my mum was supposed to be in courtesy of my rich brother but cancelled once we realized 'something was going on') right at the start of the pandemic - a confined space - not everyone on there caught it either too. Out of 3500 people, 712 got it.

COVID-19 patients on Diamond Princess Japan 2020
Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 8, 2021
A total of 712 people were infected with COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship – 567 passengers and 145 crew members. The cruise ship, which had more than 3,500 people on board, was quarantined for around two weeks. All passengers and crew members had finally disembarked the ship by March 1, 2020.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099517/japan-coronavirus-patients-diamond-princess/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just read the first 40 pages of the Starmer book. What a nasty piece of work he is.
I'm assuming it gets worse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Cromwell had a cornish accent.
So a vampire hunter sounding like the old guy from Hot Fuzz would be watchable as hell.

Edit: 11. 11 is one less than the amount of millions Prince Nonce of Noncenton paid to keep his noncing out of the papers.

Cornish? He was from the Cambridge area.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Aha, indeed my mistake.
I remember Mark Steele saying he would have had a rural accent.

It's interesting to watch some of those videos of Shakespeare done in the accents that would have applied at the time. They're definitely not RP and with our modern use of RP for Shakespeare various puns and rhymes are missed.
https://youtu.be/qYiYd9RcK5M

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Finally, 20 points ahead:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1533135353472815113?s=20

I note this was field work up to 22nd May.
Wonder if things have got better or worse for tories since then.

Unrelated:

Apparently "The Palace" chose this passage for the Prime Binbag of Custard to read out:

Quoting a passage from Philippians 4:8, the Prime Minister said: "Whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable … think about these things."

Re the booing:
"One Twitter user, John West, said in response to footage of Mr and Ms Johnson walking into St Paul's Cathedral, with a stir in the background: "Crowds of woke, Union-Jack waving, left-wing monarchists and nobility boo the Johnsons.""

(Source: daily hexx)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 4, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1533166412486918145?s=20&t=2xrKKguCAp69AzHh-f3AzA

I'm not saying they're doing this because she's actually dead (more that she's clearly too decrepit and tired for this poo poo), but there's clearly some sort of CGI/deepfake thing going on here, right? It's so obviously uncanny

(... on the old lady, I hasten to add, not the cartoon bear)

Apparently it's real!

(well not the bear obviously!)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/04/paddington-bear-takes-tea-and-marmalade-with-queen-in-jubilee-video

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Accents chat:

This is an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXv3Tt4x20

I can definitely hear my nan's accent in there reflected in the early 16th century bit. (She was from West Bromwich).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That's the 70s bus. Northern Soul, Black Power, Yorkshire, and the National Front checks out as a theme.

Did it have "The Bins (TM)" and "Labour's The Three Day Week Though Actually It Was The Tories (TM) " on it?

And The Sex Pistols.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

But what would happen if Boris simply ignored the rules, refused to step down, leave No.10 or call a GE? Because that's what I think he's going to do.

Lead (from behind) an attack on the House as per Trump and the Jan 6th Capitol attack?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

There's a slim chance. He's a divisive figure even with his own MPs. And they care about nothing more than self-preservation: if he wins then he is safe for 12 months, which takes him past the 2023 local elections and only 1 year before a presumed general election. So while I'd be surprised if he loses it wouldn't be a total surprise.

But yeah, it's Britain, good things don't happen

I don't think he would be safe for another 12 months. The 12 month rule is an internal tory policy and can be changed by tory membership.
Didn't Brady threaten to do that to May to persuade her to stand down even though she won the VONC?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Burnham winning a parliament seat in that time and then the Labour leadership seems unlikely tbh

Labour would change the rules, insert Burnham into Islington North (if it still exists at the time of the next GE - not sure what the boundary changes are or when they'll kick in). I don't know whether Corbyn would stand as an independent or not.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh, so now it's HIS boy, he wants to change his mind.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1533759627132796929?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just tabulating this here for ease of reference.

Theresa May VONC
Dec 2018: 200 to 117 survived 63%:37%
resigned 7 months later

DePfeffel VONC
June 2022: 211 to 148 survived 58.8%:41.2%

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Yes, but he's a rampaging narcissist who gives zero fucks about the optics of clinging on by his fingernails. A week ago we were talking about the f word and it was 50/50 if he would even go if he lost a VONC.

I agree! Just put the numbers there for comparison as I had to keep looking them up (age related defects :corsair: )
I think the so-called 'red wall' MPs who might have voted against him will probably be quaking in their boots right now because Johnson is a vicious, vindictive git.
Even if the vote was anonymous, I reckon those newbies who voted against him would crumble if asked directly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1533904725782953984?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tomorrow's papers today
Daily Star does it again.
Daily Mail trying to get the "coalition of chaos" thing going again from 2017 when they were saying there would be a Labour / SNP coalition.
Even the Torygraph has a negative tone.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 7, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

"If the kids are united
They will never be divided. - Sham 69. "

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1533902348908744704?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

BUPA definitely has private GPs. They're not as easily accessible and will probably require some travelling.

I used to have a subscription to a private GP service that operated on most of the London mainline stations.

When I was a temp it was financially better for me to be able to get to a paid GP near work than to lose a day's pay visiting my local GP because of the system which requires you to have a GP near home rather than or as well as near work.

It was also extremely useful when I started getting a dodgy heartbeat because by the time I visited my local GP it wouldn't be doing it, but it was doing it at work when I was temping one time and my boss sent me over to the private GP just a couple of minutes walk away immediately and I was strapped to the ECG and the dodgy heartbeat was picked up straight away.
(Egyptian docs also picked it up because they would take my pulse for whole minute instead of 10seconds like UK ones).

Friend of mine's sister aged 39 at the time had chest pain for several months, visited her GP several times, he obviously wrote her off as a 'bored neurotic housewife' and on her final visit sent her away with a couple of aspirin. She died of a massive heart attack in his carpark.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thinking about PFI.
I can't remember how long these payments were going to go on for - my brain is telling me it was 60 years from about 25-30 years ago.

I was thinking how would it be if a new govt (coz obviously the tories won't do it, without a doubt tory cronies amongst others making too many £poonds out of it) said "we're going to stop paying this out and we will make a single offer to buy out the remainder of the contract" - sort of like compulsory purchase. I'm sure there must be ways and means of doing it without getting sued.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What bugs me is an acquaintance who is a rabid tory has a degenerative disease that is never going to improve and is rendering him year by year more and more immobile and who seems not to understand that in a privatised system ain't no insurance company going to insure him!

He even ranted about actor Liz Carr (I think it was - she was Clarissa in Silent Witness) writing about lack of help to get a mobility car on the grounds that he had to pay for his own hearing aids because NHS ones weren't good enough so people needing mobility cars should pay for their own. He's now not far off needing a specially adapted mobility car himself at some extreme expense he can't possibly afford - and anyway I think they're on leases (I'm sure another friend who has one only gets to lease hers) ISTBC on that point!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

But aren't like half the No 10 advisors to Blowjob former Revolutionary Communist Party members?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

team overhead smash posted:

Reading The Starmer Project and it really does show what a slippery backstabbing treacherous arshehole he is who’s more than happy to ruin Labour to get into power and I’m only a third of the way through.

I've a few pages to go to finish it. I keep slamming it down angrily and going "pah"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Oh and a reminder or new information don't forget to reply to the public consultation on that loving stupid suggestion of going back to all-imperial https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales

I enjoyed that :D

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

my dad gave me his book post-capitalism ages ago and i remember thinking it was dumb even then

its basically about how the left is too concerned with long dead old european thinkers like marx and lenin, but actually theres this OTHER long dead russian guy who got it all right and we should all follow instead. then no ideas on how to apply any of it

e: by far the "best" lefty book though was Capitalist Realism which was all about how miserable and poo poo everything is, but dont worry we can come up with an alternative together.
then before that happened the author killed himself because his GP couldn't see him coz the NHS is dead

"OTHER long dead russian guy" - who he? Trotsky or Stalin?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

My money's on the bread guy

Oh yeah I forgot about him Kropotkin

I started reading his book too so I shouldn't have. It's on a device though hence not finishing it yet.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mine too. (OK that is).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Hm. Mobile data is fine. My ISP must be having a shitfit. Annoying

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you cleared your browser cache?

You can have a look here if you put your ISP in the search box see if any widespread problem.

https://downdetector.co.uk/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Latest labour ad just popped up on Facebook. (On phone so can't share).
3 bullet points.

quote:

A stronger economy with Labour
- Energy security
- Supply chain security
- Business security

Can't help noticing the S word repeated 3 times.
Police state vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I am a little bit confused here - are you asserting in any way that the Greenham Common types were typically Tory voters? And if not, how are the wider demographics of women voters at the time relevant? If you are claiming Julie Bindel is 'archetypical' and 'moved to the Labour camp' are you asserting she voted Tory before, because whatever else I can say about her I don't think that's true.

I interpreted it to mean most women voters were Tory not that the greenham common women were. I knew a lot of women who went to greenham (I didn't due to health issues at the time) and they were all very left.