Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

They would be quite similar in that the content would just be "there's nothing we can do, stay indoors and hopefully it'll be over soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They want you to not spend money so inflation stops going up.

But also spend enough money that we don't have a recession.

Ideally try and exist in some quantum superposition of spending and not spending.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just remembered the march down Whitehall for Andrea Leadsom. Tory leadership contests are always entertaining at least.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seperation of England and Scotland will get unbelievably acrimonious around the issues of pension obligations and debt. I would bet on a hard border being more likely than not just because those issues will spiral into a total breakdown of relations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If it meant getting out of a trillion quid of pension obligations, they'd move the nukes.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And hence, it will be massively acrimonious.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He's not blaming the last Labour government, he's blaming the next Labour government.

It's totally different.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's mad that Tories are out there on TV and radio openly selling the message that everyone in Britain needs to accept getting poorer and Labour are nowhere.

How can they not manage to oppose a government telling the electorate that life is just going to get worse and they will do nothing about it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The deranged anti-union line the press is pushing isn't really lining up with the public attitude that I've seen. Reality seems like much more ambivalence - people think the strikers at least have a strong basis for complaint even if they don't follow that through into openly supporting strikes.

Though I guess the press create reality rather than report it. And I don't have a lot of contact with the retired gestapo that their mostly comprises their readership.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The FBPEs and sensible centrists gleefully sharing these Mick Lynch videos is sticking in my throat a bit.

I mean it's good but also deeply annoying.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems impossible on a practical level given the overwhelming majority of train tickets are sold on machines and tickets are checked at automated barrier gates.

I guess they could open the gates but that seems like going beyond striking into sabotage.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Also FBPE was clearly just an anti-Corbyn psy-op as you could tell from the way Keith took office and immediately said "Brexit? who cares" and no-one batted an eye.

Absolutely not, they are still there raging away all day every day.

Earlier today some Lord posted that the changes to the HRA are the worst infringement on human rights in Britain for 1,000 years and rather than bring up say, the expulsion of the Jews, it was just hundreds of FBPE replies going “what about Brexit???”

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What if Russia interfered to fatally wound Ukraine’s strongest ally?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Whenever you look at the polls and wonder how on earth the Tories are still on 30%, it’s useful to watch Question Time to remember who the general public are.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Someone else saying the same as Rentoul, the result was not much of a cause for celebration for Labour.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1540242921722707968?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1540311832035991552?s=20&t=kDGwwHmMY95ZSrFeHqXeOg

did i nap through 9 world wars?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Worth noting that the Wakefield result for Labour % was lower than what they got in 2017.

The party have tweeted that it's their best result there since 2001 and Labour MPs are saying the same on TV. 2017 is being written out of history, it can't ever be acknowledged.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It’s an extension of the same WTO-illegal tariffs the EU and US already apply. Brexit is dumb and all but that doesn’t mean you have to advocate for Britain bankrupting it’s strategic heavy industry out of psychotic purist commitment to free trade.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Helsreach is the best 40k book.

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been saying this for a while. Burnham has been setting up the long game for this. He's neatly sidestepped Brexit without getting poo poo on his shoes, and if he keeps murmuring the right things while Keith is kept rudderless, it's an easy win after the next election when Keith loses/lib dem - tory coalition rises once more.

Is he running as an MP in the next election? He's got to surely.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Night Lords books have chaos people who are the good guys. Though also very much the bad guys at the same time, but it is 40k so that's standard.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1541780199775272961?s=20&t=QmAj2tMBAQXYjp4PVRPCjQ

That cheering sound is coming from Tory HQ.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I saw all the new posts, though perhaps Starmer had resigned but no, it's just you nerds going on about comic books.

Is he getting his fine today then? The papers seem to think so.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Genuinely miserable stuff. Is this what the sensible centrist imagination is offering.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1543859657613004800

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They couldn't even think of four things before they had to get to "cut small business rates" and "build British!!!"

I shouldn't expect anything better but I'm inordinately depressed by that. They are worthless.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think most women hate non-segregated loos because men always get piss on the seat.

The press have caught Boris Johnson lying about something again, excited to discover how it turns out this time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If Boris quits tomorrow and Starmer gets an FPN on the same day I will die laughing

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Christ Starmer is an uninspiring loser nerd fuckface

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1485736605369384963?s=20&t=zgO6jXTuf4sspFCfgegZLg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I do vaguely wonder if Boris will stay in place in order to soak up blame for the shitstorm we’re all in, and then a reasonable time before the next election he’ll stand down and all the senior Tories can say “as you know, I was always deeply critical of Boris” and claim to be honourable when they run for leader.

The one positive thing you can say about Boris Johnson is that he does not give a single gently caress about the conservative party.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Two flags, he's loving serious now.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1544401979895595008

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Got to be fair to Keith, “sinking ships fleeing the rat” was a great line.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently someone called "Claire Coutinho" has quit from the treasury, they genuinely are just making these up from the names of footballers now

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The 1922 committee haven’t amended the VONC rules, guess they believe he’ll quit.

lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly starting to come round on the idea that there are too many ministers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really hope we get the launch of Zahawi’s grand plan for the economy today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thanks George

https://twitter.com/george_osborne/status/1544948887412154369?s=21&t=RR6sRMw5f4ee5Cqh-lsUyg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
wtf lmao

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/1544950219657330688?s=20&t=I-qwJzLSkbrmmOA8fgB4fQ

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned this yesterday but loving hell payroll is gonna be a nightmare. Some poor accountant is running round with a stopwatch and sobbing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Booooooo

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544955744101044225?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm never the less delighting in the fact that Boris really, really, really didn't want to go and is probably ugly crying right now

Eh, I wonder if they finally figured out how to shortcut the drama and got a donor to call up and guarantee him a million quid a year pretend job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Needs that time to steal everything that isn't nailed down.
That £18k wallpaper is being pulled down too.

Jo Wylie was reading out what-are-you-doing-tonight messages on Radio 2 last night and completely deadpanned “message in from Carrie, she’s busy steaming off wallpaper tonight. Well done to you”. Very unclear if she got it or not.