Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Before hitting play, for a split second I saw the ‘black vests over white shirts carrying big sticks’ and thought it was a load of coppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

are the food delivery services offering weekly payment plans for takeout yet because that's a thing in the us and probably canada now

I ordered a pizza on PayPal credit the other night by accident, so that’s already an option.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My portable aircon has broken but that’s ok because my fixed tariff ends this month and I’ll no longer be able to afford to run the fucker.

Plus now I can burn it in winter for warmth, and an interesting buzz from the plastic fumes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

uh what does he think laws are if not a ban on crime
:thejoke:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Thatcher was a scientist and could read graphs, I wonder if she would promote the whole "net zero by 2050" bullshit.

Thatcher also knew she’d be dead by 2050 so why bother

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shell Energy relentlessly point out that they supply me only with energy from renewable sources, so what I’m getting from this is that I won’t be impacted at all by the rising cost of imported fossil fuels unless for some reason they’re either playing fast and loose with their definition of renewable or they just really like making money, or both.

Two things I’m confident no utility company would EVER do.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RDevz posted:

There's a condition in the Generation Licence (Condition 17A, paragraph 6) that the company owning the wind farms will have that says that they're not allowed to cross-subsidise any other part of their group. Selling power at anything other than fair market price would be classed as a cross-subsidy and therefore a licence breach. So if Shell own the wind farms, they'll be forced to sell at the current, absurdly high, market prices; and if they're buying in power via PPAs with third parties, the owners of the wind farms aren't going to give a discount on their power, as that'll cause a revolt by their share holders.

Either way, Shell Energy will be paying full price for power while the companies owning the wind farms will be rolling around in a big pit of money.

I figured they’d be loving me regardless, but it’s very funny that they’re actually contractually obligated to gently caress me, so thank you for this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

crispix posted:

i worked in IT in the health service for some years and i can tell you from experience that doctors tend to be very bad on computers, op

My surgery has a mandatory online thing now where you leave the doctor a message in a chat window and they eventually reply to you, you get an email that says they’ve replied and then you log in and reply back, etc.

More than once I’ve had a notification that the chat has been ended and then a phone call from a very flustered doctor to tell me that they didn’t mean to press that button and not to worry they’re still looking at it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

My doctor uses wiki for diagnosis :\

My doctor asks me if I’ve googled whatever’s wrong and if I have any ideas about what it might be and what kind of treatment I’m looking for.

I have mixed feelings about this because sometimes it’s nice to actually be listened to about your problem, but on the other hand I’m not a doctor, that’s why I’ve come to see you, tell me what you think it is and what I should be doing for it because obviously I’ve not had much luck myself if I’ve taken the time to jump through all the hoops necessary to talk to you.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It makes some sense, like it would be weird if I showed up to the mechanic and they went "do not tell me what you think is wrong with the car, I will be the judge of that"

As I’ve experienced it, it’s more like if you showed up at the mechanic and said “it’s making a clunking noise when it’s running, I’m not a mechanic though so I’m not sure what’s causing it” and they insisting on asking you which part of the engine you thought was most responsible for the clunking and what you think they should do about it anyway.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 21, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm asking this as a dumb guy who is terrible at accounting, but is there not a thing where you can claim back some of your heating bills if they were used for work? If I recall correctly it's part of the same rules where you can claim back on your petrol and clothes if they're used for work. I'm pretty sure if it was a thing someone else would have been mentioning it though.

There was a tax thing you could claim but they ‘fixed’ that ‘loophole’ recently iirc.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Yeah that'd depend on the pharmacist. I have as a non-pharmacist now and then just silently forgotten to charge someone for a 'non emergency' prescriptionless supply. Just like I sometimes forget to charge them the prescription fee. But you can only get away with a limited amount of rule-bending.

e: I heavily lean in favour of 'sort the patient out, deal with the doctor/prescription/paperwork afterwards' but giving the wrong medication out to someone with no prescription on hand and sometimes no record of what they need is a huge liability issue and could land me personally right in the poo poo even if I'm not the pharmacist :/

My local pharmacy seem to regularly assume I’m not going to pay for my prescriptions when I go to collect them, so there’s a 50/50 chance on any visit that I have to stand there awkwardly for a few seconds and then ask them to charge me for it. As much as I’d love the odd freebie it feels like a dick move when I can actually afford it.

My wife has one of those prescription exemption card things due to a permanent lifelong medication requirement and even when I collect her stuff I’ve never been asked for any kind of evidence that she’s actually exempt.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Mostly secret society stuff.

Actual secret society stuff like old boys networking and getting drunk and doing weird rituals that were hilarious to their great grandads, rather than Alex Jones secret society stuff.

It’s this.

My father-in-law is a freemason, we’ve been to a few of the “friends and family” events they put on at their lodge and it’s pretty much just an excuse to dress like twats and get plastered with a load of other middle aged blokes. They seem to take it in turns to fill the various roles, so one year he was the head guy (I wanna say ‘worshipful master’ but this was about a decade ago) and as far as I could tell it just meant he got to decide the themes for all the piss ups - he’s Scottish, so they did a lot of Scottish poo poo that year.

It’s basically exactly how the Stonecutters were portrayed on the Simpsons except all the perks are much less funny and very dependant on how much value you place on knowing a bloke who used to run a conservatory firm.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Your average CeX smells too bad to keep opening more branches to launder through so they took a hard turn into sweet shops because they smell much nicer by default.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

I had Shell hassling me for ages to install a smart meter, I let them install it but it took two appointments because the first guy seemingly couldn’t be arsed to finish the job and handwaved about needing a part to fit the gas meter.

A few weeks later and the electricity data isn’t coming through, Shell have apparently tried to fix it remotely and it won’t work. Their solution is “sorry, technology is poo poo, you’ll have to submit meter reads again. But this will be by email as you can no longer use the app since it thinks you have a smart meter”. So I’m stuck with worst of both situations, and paying £233/month for the privilege, while they’re making billions in profit.

I managed to pressure them to get someone round to reinstall the electric meter, but who knows if that’ll fix it.

Yeah they keep trying to get me to fit one and I keep telling them to gently caress off because meter readings work fine for me, and I’ll keep doing it until they become mandatory somehow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just got my annual usage statements through for the gas and leccy, in the last 12 months 60% of what I paid for gas was just for the standing charge lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Convex posted:

This was the plot of a Red Dwarf episode IIRC.

Lister’s guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Whether the English still lust to slurp Moggs brogues while he tells them to burn granny as they sit shivering in the predicted Polar Vortex will be fascinating to watch

Of course we will