Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aramoro posted:

Only If you get the right random events and choose the right option in the Cassia storyline that gives you points. Even then I assume you mean the trunk routes because best will in the world you cannot turn every route green.

If you don't then you have to jump back on forth on amber routes till you get the event.

It's an objectively terrible game mechanic.

There’s a colony building on Dargonus that drops the cost of making new routes to 1 - I guess if you beelined for it then explored afterwards, it might work? I saved Dargonus til last as I assumed finishing it would trigger the coronation and add another time limited quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

My first playthrough I literally did not once get any of the bonus nav points events and my second playthrough I got the warp reefs event (+6) multiple times. It is true that you don't need nav points to beat the game, but if you aren't getting those random events to spawn you only have enough nav points to make a direct route between all your colonies green as opposed to everything. Also you technically don't need to make every route green if you can put up with being annoyed because yellow routes only have text encounters and can give you the reefs event.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the random route ambushes suck because they're the worst kind of combat:

1. Lots of enemies so it takes a while to finish
2. no unique loot or XP rewards
3. basically zero chance you lose so they're not really a challenge

real busywork. when I play through for real after the new companions are added (when is that happening anyways?) and bugs are fixed I'll probably still toybox it out

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The biggest draw of going heretic is being able to skip the warp fights. I mean, it's also a pretty well done path in general, but skipping those fights...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I found when I beat the game relatively near release that I'd almost entirely get cool story bits with yellow routes but usually have a fight with orange routes. So you can save on some navigator points by not making everything green.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Talkie Toaster posted:

I assumed paths would become less deadly after multiple trips. Seems weird that you can do the Foulstone to Footfall run a dozen times and each is still just as hard as the first.

Normally you don't get to make safe paths through the Warp and most ships are risking their souls every time they go in. That's inside the Imperium, where things are relatively safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Normally you don't get to make safe paths through the Warp and most ships are risking their souls every time they go in. That's inside the Imperium, where things are relatively safe.

It's not so much making safe paths as finding them. While the Warp tends to shift a lot there's certain routes that stay stable for certain amounts of time (for a certain definition of stable). If I recall from one of the tabletop versions you can obtain maps of those stable routes to help with the navigation tests. There's also certain entities that make the warp grow calmer but we don't really have access to them. Well, we might, but they aren't our navigator.