Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aramoro posted:

Only If you get the right random events and choose the right option in the Cassia storyline that gives you points. Even then I assume you mean the trunk routes because best will in the world you cannot turn every route green.

If you don't then you have to jump back on forth on amber routes till you get the event.

It's an objectively terrible game mechanic.

There’s a colony building on Dargonus that drops the cost of making new routes to 1 - I guess if you beelined for it then explored afterwards, it might work? I saved Dargonus til last as I assumed finishing it would trigger the coronation and add another time limited quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

My first playthrough I literally did not once get any of the bonus nav points events and my second playthrough I got the warp reefs event (+6) multiple times. It is true that you don't need nav points to beat the game, but if you aren't getting those random events to spawn you only have enough nav points to make a direct route between all your colonies green as opposed to everything. Also you technically don't need to make every route green if you can put up with being annoyed because yellow routes only have text encounters and can give you the reefs event.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the random route ambushes suck because they're the worst kind of combat:

1. Lots of enemies so it takes a while to finish
2. no unique loot or XP rewards
3. basically zero chance you lose so they're not really a challenge

real busywork. when I play through for real after the new companions are added (when is that happening anyways?) and bugs are fixed I'll probably still toybox it out

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The biggest draw of going heretic is being able to skip the warp fights. I mean, it's also a pretty well done path in general, but skipping those fights...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I found when I beat the game relatively near release that I'd almost entirely get cool story bits with yellow routes but usually have a fight with orange routes. So you can save on some navigator points by not making everything green.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Talkie Toaster posted:

I assumed paths would become less deadly after multiple trips. Seems weird that you can do the Foulstone to Footfall run a dozen times and each is still just as hard as the first.

Normally you don't get to make safe paths through the Warp and most ships are risking their souls every time they go in. That's inside the Imperium, where things are relatively safe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Normally you don't get to make safe paths through the Warp and most ships are risking their souls every time they go in. That's inside the Imperium, where things are relatively safe.

It's not so much making safe paths as finding them. While the Warp tends to shift a lot there's certain routes that stay stable for certain amounts of time (for a certain definition of stable). If I recall from one of the tabletop versions you can obtain maps of those stable routes to help with the navigation tests. There's also certain entities that make the warp grow calmer but we don't really have access to them. Well, we might, but they aren't our navigator.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There's also Admech nonsense that lets you do without Navigators entirely. Any time the Navigator Houses realize they've rediscovered it or found an old example of it that ship gets brutally destroyed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's also Admech nonsense that lets you do without Navigators entirely. Any time the Navigator Houses realize they've rediscovered it or found an old example of it that ship gets brutally destroyed.

Predates the Admech I believe. That kind of nonsense tends to be from the DAoT.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

The Lone Badger posted:

Predates the Admech I believe. That kind of nonsense tends to be from the DAoT.
Yeah, DAoT tech called the Void Abacus. Let you jump a few systems over without needing a Navigator (instead of just to an adjacent system). You'd still need Navigators to run the Imperium, but that's no excuse to not destroy them!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know where it would be, probably some gamebook, but could easily make short jumps in the warp, i.e Tau, using purely technology, but once humanity 'created' the navigator gene they went from local systems to galaxy spanning empire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

I don't know where it would be, probably some gamebook, but could easily make short jumps in the warp, i.e Tau, using purely technology, but once humanity 'created' the navigator gene they went from local systems to galaxy spanning empire.

That’s Chartist captains, who make up the majority of intra-Imperium trade. Once you enter the Warp you’re flying completely blind, but if you’re following long-established well-charted routes and frequently drop back into realspace to check your position you’ll usually arrive where you’re going. Usually.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Are there any beginner's guides to builds for this game? This is my first exposure to owlcat so all the builds options are... overwhelming

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Are there any beginner's guides to builds for this game? This is my first exposure to owlcat so all the builds options are... overwhelming

The neoseeker guides are good and generally avoid the super cheesy meta bullshit

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

You can mostly just follow your heart and everything will work out in the end. You got a cool plasma gun you want to use? Take Plasma guns, you don't? Then don't.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An advantage to the game throwing you a level up every 5 minutes is that you really don't have buyer's regret, and there are only a few 'necessary combinations' that become evident as you play on - most level ups just add another stacking bonus to doing stuff. This isn't like Pathfinder where a sub-optimal choice at level 3 fucks your character over for the rest of the game.

The only firm advice I'd have is with the companions to lean into their unique class/background skills whenever you have the chance. Like if you build Cassia as an Officer and not as a Navigator then you are barking up the wrong path.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get out of Comorragh with your party intact and all bullshit stat penalties removed without begging and groveling to the Slyth boss/the Haemonculus? There's a couple of skill checks when talking to the Slyth, but they're all at like -100.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Is there any way to get out of Comorragh with your party intact and all bullshit stat penalties removed without begging and groveling to the Slyth boss/the Haemonculus? There's a couple of skill checks when talking to the Slyth, but they're all at like -100.

I got most of the MC's stat penalties automatically removed without a single skill check near the start.

For the Haemonculus, you can trade him various special body parts for favours. Some parts are gated behind skill tests, some you get automatically.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Jinnigan posted:

What others said, you can mostly follow your heart, but I can give certain recommendations. Note that this is not all-compassing and there are many, many different builds and synergies. Just suggestions.

For common talents, always consider the ones that boost Characteristics by +5 and Swift Movements (more MP), and Nimble (more dodge). For characters with their own special talents, like Psykers, Navigators, or Tech-Priest, take a look at them at some point, many are very strong. When it comes to skills, check what the character's highest stats and are and specialize on a few skills that match it. For example, Argenta can go Demolitions, Abelard Athletics and Carouse, Pascal takes care of Logic and Tech-Use and you should probably pick up Medicae with

Soldier (ranged bursts and AoEs): Level Ballistic Skill above all, then Agility and Perception. If you intend to use heavy weapons get Strength to 35, but no more. For abilities, Rapid Fire and Concentrated Fire. For talents, absolutely pick Swift Slaughter as early as possible. Unpredictable, Second Skin, and Rapid Reload are must-picks, and then depending on preferences, either Demolition Engineer OR Unfaltering Fire (AoE vs Burst). Good common talents for heavy weapon build are Heavy Weapon Proficiency, Overpower and Breaking Point. For your second Archetype Soldiers should ALWAYS go Arch-Militant.

Officer (buff others and give extra actions): If you're Cassia, go more into Navigator talents and powers and level Willpower first, then Perception, and lastly Fellowship. Non-Navigator should level Fellowship above all. Good all-rounder abilities for non-Navigator are Move, Move, Move and Air of Authority. For talents, Commanding Voice, Steel Resolve, Lasting Impression, Seize the Initiative, No Respite. Officer's second Archetype should always be Master Tactician.

Warrior (melee tank): Strength is not all-important, Weapon Skill is. Toughness and Agility also useful. If you are Hendrix, Willpower and Weapon Skill. Sworn Enemy and Taunting Scream are your go-to abilities for Abelard. Talents: Thick Skin, Clenched Teeth, Hardened Scars, Desolation and Ramming Speed. Go Vanguard or Arch-Militant for Abelard, and either Assassin or Vanguard for Hendrix, doesn't matter too much for him.

Operative (debuffs, ranged single-target): Go ranged, level Ballistic Skill, Intelligence and Perception. If Idira, ignore almost everything operative, focus on psyker powers and talents. If Pascal, read their special talents carefully, many are good. If not, here's some suggestions. For abilities, pick two of Precise Attack, Joint Analysis, Perfect Spot or Tactical Knowledge. For talents, Passive Learning, Tide of Excellence, Ballistics Calculation, Joint Offence, and Sharpshooter are all good, Instant Exposure is not bad with certain weapons. Pascal or Idira should go for Grand Strategist, maybe both if you do not ever intend to use them at the same time. Bounty Hunter is acceptable also.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 8, 2024

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It's probably worth explaining the leveling system briefly since the tutorial doesn't tell you much about it.

You pick your first archetype at level 1, and from 1 to 15 you will level up in that archetype. The archetype determines what you can learn at each level. At level 16 you pick a second-tier archetype and level that up until level 35.

Characteristics - Strength, Willpower, etc. You will get 5 characteristic increases between level 1 to level 15, and you may only choose each characteristic at most twice total (and after the second archetype, at most four times). These are pretty straightforward since the archetype already restricts you to characteristics that are useful for it.

Abilities - These are activated hotbar abilities. You will get to learn 2 of these for the archetype (out of a selection of 5). If your character is a psyker or navigator, you get to pick those abilities in place of archetype abilities if you wish.

Skills - Athletics, Lore, etc. These are similar to Characteristics in that you can only pick each skill at most twice. This means for each character you should pick up to two skills for them to specialize in. Most skill checks in the game are made with the highest skill level of anyone in your active party, there are a few places where only the Rogue Trader's skill matters (mostly for Persuasion/Coercion), and very rare instances where a single companion's skill is checked. On missions you should make sure at least Athletics, Tech Use, and Demolitions (and later on Lore Xenos) are covered.

Talents - Passive bonuses. These are divided into Archetype talents, Common talents, and Background talents. When leveling you will get some number of "Talent" level-ups and some other "Common Talent" level-ups. For a generic "Talent" level-up you can pick from any of the three categories, while for "Common Talent" level-ups you can only pick from Common/Background talents. So if there are some archetype talents that you want, then make sure you don't miss your chance to get them. If your character is a psyker then there are also a bunch of "Psi Rating +1" talents that you need to take; those come out of the Background talent pool.

You have three free respecs per character so don't worry too much about messing it up, and it's far more likely for you to end up with an overpowered party than a weak one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For reference: I had a moment halfway through my game where I thought 'oh I understand what's important now, I can respec'. And I just never did because it was too much hassle. In the final act of the game I just didn't bother with the last 10 levels or so because they were so irrelevant and I was winning every fight in the first action turn on hard.