Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm one of the "you flatly cannot take 40k seriously" people and what I get out of it is that as stupid and ludicrous as the setting is it owns. It's just a bucket of cool ideas thrown together into a metal album cover and wrapped in a layer of the purplest prose that has ever been laid to paper. This is a setting where space huns ride warbikes out of passing dropships to lay into demons and robot space Egyptians with swords made out of chainsaws.

Like "The planet broke before the Guard did," is a loving badass line and the story its a quote from is just one absurdity after another leading up to a bunch of dudes fighting a desperate hold out action against a horde of literal demons while the planet they're on explodes around them and the galaxy is being visibly torn in half in the sky overhead. That's a cool fuckin image, and images like that are why I care about warhammer despite my inability to ever take it seriously.

Also orks.

What I would add to this is "You flatly cannot take 40k seriously, and give anyone who does take it seriously a mile wide berth". The problem I have with playing it at FLGS out in public is that you get the people who take it way, way too seriously to the point where they start idolizing the fashy bits.

If you want to read some of the fun stuff you can do with these systems, in the Goldmine somewhere there's an old SLAM SECTOR thread from TG where a handful of us played as horrible mutants to generally make everyone's lives miserable.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679753&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lexorin posted:

I recently redownloaded DoW3 because I'd recalled it being bad but I thought "How bad could it be?". The answer was "very". It was very bad.

The funny thing is I seen relic is now working on Company of Heroes 3 too. Given the state of DoW3 and CoH 2 I can't imagine it's going to be any good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know how everything in the 40k universe is measured in 'number of imperial guardsmen it can kill'

the average Dark Heresy character looks at the Guardsman, armed with a lasrifle, flak armor, laspistol, combat knife, ration card, and the contact information of at least one person with a heavy weapon who will not immediately tell them to gently caress off, and sees an unparalleled god of war. said god of war will also immediately tell them to gently caress off for being a weirdo.

Dark Heresy rules.

Yeah, entry level Dark Heresy 1st edition characters don't even qualify as the Inquisitorial B team, they are the F team. It's just that on the high end of the power scale, you wind up truly getting into some horrifically powerful player characters. Ascension Tier characters are pretty much all madhouse to a one for various reasons.

There's a reason Rogue Trader characters start at the equivalent of like a rank 5 or 6 DH character.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CommissarMega posted:

Pretty much, and even on the dicerolling it's less 'optimizing my character' and more 'using the environment and surprise to my advantage'. Seriously, one of the biggest paradigm shifts for someone used to other roleplaying games is that while your character's stats do matter, the environment you engineer and tactics they present are worth far, far more. If you're in a fair fight of any kind, something's gone wrong somewhere.

Yeah, Dark Heresy is probably about as lethal as Cyberpunk 2020 or Call off Cthulu for anyone familiar with the latter two. There really aren't pitched battles insofar as any prolonged engagement is either an ambush or an escape from something gnarly. If you're in an open room outside of cover duking it out you already hosed up. Cover, smoke grenades, and area denial are your friends.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've been looking for gameplay videos of the beta and not seeing anything. How much did they depart from the rogue trader pen and paper rules? Is the health / wound system at up such that you're still playing rocket tag like the pen and paper, or did they make characters more durable for the sake of making the game play better in heavy combat?

Do they have heavy weapons in? Grenade or rocket launchers? Heavy flamer or plasma cannons?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lord Koth posted:

In a general sense, there's usually going to be a lot of crossover but a good tactician would excel at the small picture while a strategist would excel at the big picture. Basically the difference between masterfully conducting a single battle, and knowing how to get the right people and supplies into position to conduct all those battles for you.

In context of how they differ in RT, I have no clue.

My dumb guy brain says one buffs allies, one debuffs enemies.

I bought into the beta and played through the tutorial. Do they not have dual wielding figured in? When tooling around with weapons it seemed like once I attacked with one weapon it locked the other out, even if running like dual blades / pistols.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SpaceDrake posted:

Need to see the world of origins, but I'm absolutely going Leader Pyromancer for my first character.

I am so so so glad that they included all the psyker options from the TT books.

I'm probably going to go like hive born naval leader, and go for like a power sword and hand flamer. So a pyromancer of a different sort. Either way gonna BBQ me some heretics.

My beta character was a forge world sharpshooter and I wound up building almost exactly the same as the sister unintentionally, minus my character having more of an int slate.

Edit: I kind of wish the imperial / heretic / benefecient axis had a bar for scoundrel. Have it represent the non-heretical rear end in a top hat aspect. "gently caress you, pay me" as an aspect.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 3, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

The only benefit to dual wielding is a melee+gun because it allows you to make melee attacks of opportunity and shoot things as you are running towards them to kill them without swapping equipment. You also don't get forced to disengage in order to use ranged weapons when surrounded.

Swapping was also action cost zero in the beta, so that may be different in release however.

Abelard is the main sword+pistol guy, I guess if the weapons have enchantments that stack you could run with 2 swords that both boost parry, or two pistols that boost ranged attack.

The real minmax would be to have a weapon set with high damage, low penetration, and then an opposing pair to deal with heavy armor.

Do the parry boosts from running a second sword stack though?

I guess if not that is justification for running an axe for the damage / pen boost and a sword offhand to get the parry boost.

Also someone please tell me power fists are in. I want to punch a tank so hard it explodes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So when you go to recruit the Navigator is there a way to get through it without murdering everyone? The guy downstairs was the obvious traitor and I merced him once I had the control rod, and when I went upstairs I was able to talk the navigator lady down without violence and seemingly was at peace with her guardian, but he still wasn't willing to deal with me without violence.

Also, how long does it take before you get access to Plasma/Flame/Melta/power weapons? Does the game keep you to SP and las for the first act?

Also without going too much into spoilers, I'm guessing based on the chatter that Act 3 is the Abyss all over again for better and (mostly) worse?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 4, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Quote != edit

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So it's there a known bug with the random bridge events? The first time it dropped me in to talk to one of the officers, I wasn't in the chair and could free roam. If I walked over and talked to the officer, the chair would engage and turn around, my character was still seemingly attached to it rotating my character fully out of the map and out of bounds. This prevents me from talking and functionally soft locks my game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

If you're building a min max party it's probably going to be 2 officers for sure, given they can give extra movement and attacks every round. Cassia's unique powers also make her insanely good for stunning enemies and forcing them out of cover so even with the overlap she's still a vital party member.

The video mentions a handful of those Homeworld talents as being worse then some standard archetype talents you can take. Homeworld is going be the biggest factor for a psyker as you have to pick from 2 entire talent pools to build, plus taking the 5 ranks of psy power needed to access the best psyker stuff is going to leave you with little room for other talents.

Yeah, it seems like there's enough depth in the talents and choices that Cassia and my planned first MC (hive born commissar leader with a flamethrower and a bad attitude) are going to play way, way differently.

Psyker is a whole other can of beans with how it interacts with classes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

Most of the party have unique feats and abilities not part of the regular character creation so aside from setting them to level 1 for their starting class I can't see any other options.

They're probably planning some kind of rogue-like mode as DLC, where you can create a whole party including Tech Priests, Eldar, Navigators, Space Marines, etc. with their unique abilities being the homeworld/origin feature.

FreeLC - 40k Xcom.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

The general response from the previewers seems to be no one knows what the point of the triumph/darkness moments are, and the entire game available to them doesn't mention anything about it either.

Mortismal sounded like they were really more roleplay picks than anything, might feed into a couple odd dialog bits.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

Oh that's ok, they'll probably fix it quickly. Four or five times.

What's old is new again!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Do leaders actually spend much time fighting or are they mostly shouting orders to the others? My thought for my first character was someone who mostly dumps proper ranged combat in exchange for shouting and maybe a flamethrower.

Edit: The problem I had in my test run through the first act was that my first character was a naval officer soldier who immediately almost fully overlapped with Argenta, and she just did it better because of the starting bolter versus whatever early game trash I could scavenge.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CommissarMega posted:

For those of you who played the WotR on opening day, how bad was it? I played the game two weeks after release, and it didn't seem too bad, but I was also busy in my personal life around then and didn't play much, only letting the game update now and then. If RT is anywhere near that stable for me, I'd be satisfied.

Mostly functional, certainly better than kingmaker. I can't remember specifically what it was, but I only personally hit one showstopping bug. I know people who advanced faster than me hit a bunch in the untested stuff in act 4, but those were mostly resolved by the time I personally made it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

Owlcat video breaking down the basic combat mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1C_6v4rP0

Ranged Combat
- Need to roll equal or less then 30+BS to hit
- Standard dodge chance is 30+(target's AGI - attackers PER)%
- Full cover gives you 60% to avoid getting hit, half cover is 35%
- If you shoot more then half the weapons effective range, hit chance becomes 15+(BS/2)
- Burst fire all have separate to-hit rolls
- Area Attacks, if to hit roll fails, targets suffering a grazing hit, 50% of original damage
- Burst and AoE can hit allies

Melee
- Parry Chance is 2 x (target WS+parry bonus) - (attackers WS +parry reduction)
- Melee has 100% to hit, but will be dodged/parry whichever is higher
- Each ally next to your target gives you a +10 WS when attacking
- If in melee range you cannot use most ranged weapons, only pistols and shotguns
- If holding a melee weapon you make attacks of opportunity on anything who tries to leave a neighboring tile

Defense
- Deflection decreases damage by a flat number value
- Armor is % of damage absorbed after deflection
- Penetration will modify the targets armor
- Crits start at 10% doing 150% damage
- Every increase to hit chance after 95% increases ranged crit hit chance in a 1:1 ratio
- Melee crit chance is equal to (Attacker WS-target WS)

Momentum/Morale
- Fights starts with 100
- Increases as enemies go down, decreases as allies go down-
- Heroic Act becomes available when momentum hits 175, first use costs 75 momentum and each consecutive use costs 25 more.
- Desperate Measures: Available when momentum drops below 25, heavy drawbacks

Boo you gotta roll to-hit for Flamers. In Pen and paper they auto hit unless the target success an agility check to get out of the way. It gave low ballistic skill characters a way to have some ranged presence.

Kind of scraps my original character idea of a flamer commissar leader so I could dump BS for more fellowship and willpower.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arglebargle III posted:

The tabletop game has an insane profusion of rules. It's a great synthesis of subject and style: the rules are as byzantine as Imperial law and as hard to navigate as the trackless depths of the expanse.

It doesn't help that the rules straight up worked inconsistently from what you would expect depending on which 40k rpg splat you were using.

In Dark Heresy 1st edition and rogue trader, when you go to fire a gun you choose if you are firing single shot, semi auto burst, or full auto burst. You would think the single shot would be the most accurate and you'd be loving wrong. Single shot was a ballistic skill +0 check, semi auto was a +10, and full auto was a +20. Semi and full auto gave you more hits depending on your degrees of success, but full auto it was straight up easier to even hit the baseline of hitting.

This wasn't changed until Dark Crusade and Only War, where (iirc) they made single shot a +10, semi auto a +0, and full auto a -10. Making your single shot weapons were more likely to hit, and full auto was a risk reward proposition because it was harder to hit, but when you did you could track up a bunch of extra hits from rate of fire.

Fantasy Flight games was a land of contrasts.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOvaAS3xKM&t=353s
The more interesting one is 'solid projectile weapon prof/expert' which makes me wonder in a game with plasma, bolters, and force weapons what kind of benefits you can stack to make basic guns an effective part of your arsenal.

In the table top, solid projectile was still useful in a lot of instances. Doubly so if you had heavy weapons proficiency too. Heavy + ballistic proficiency got you autocannons, heavy stubbers, sniper rifles, and other things that actually held out petty well in high power campaigns. Solid projectile also had easiest access to a wide variety of special ammo to also help keep it relevant.

Solid projectile also tends to be rate of fire kings, letting you mow down nameless nooks lay down suppressing fire with ease.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 4, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, so the full release is tomorrow? Not early access? I thought this was still a ways off.

Its like that Ubisoft Avatar game again; didn't know it was coming out so soon.

I mean, early access has functionally been running for most of the year, you just had to buy into it from owlcat's website rather than directly through stream.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blockhouse posted:

What should I go with to not overlap with them?

yeah melee tank was what I was going to do in the beta before I realized your literal first companion does that

It seems like there's a pretty good gap for a non psyker officer/leader guy.

Worst case scenario even if you did pick something that overlaps initially, you can differentiate them when you pick their second class.

I.e. For the guy who started soldier and is overlapping with the first companion, set the companion as a vanguard, and then send the PC to arch militant or the like.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This game is my first solid exposure to WH40k lore outside of memes. Just finished Act 1 and, uh, welp.

Couple Qs for the loreheads:

If the emperor's biological remains are still around why doesn't he just clone himself?

How did Aurora come back to life and turn into a space marine lol ?

Why are people constantly going heretic when it seems *blatantly obvious to everyone* the best case scenario is turning into some sort of monstrosity after a bit of fun?

Who is in charge of the empire, wait sorry, THE IMPERIUM, if the Emperor is off in lala land helping Navigators through the warp?

Soul Jacking is one of the domains of tzeentch, the chaos God that's deeply lampshaded in the prologue and first act. Most likely (speculation) neither of the people you kill in act one are the true Aurora, merely puppets being driven by it. I'm betting dollars to donuts you'll be seeing more of them.

Re: why go heretic? Most laypeople don't even know what the chaos gods are. It doesn't take much to realize that life loving sucks for most people in 40k. For an enterprising chaos agent, it's easy to soft sell people desperate for something better in their life the lighter, easier aspects of the chaos gods before getting to the "burn your eyes out of your head to see the myriad truths" part. Play up Khorne as a god of tactics and warriors, Slaanesh as a fertility god, Tzeench as a god of luck, ect. Once you've sold a group on the premise you start sneaking in the sinister stuff, and in a universe where enough wrong thought will corrupt your soul and lead to demons, all it takes is a little nudge get a group of people on board with the turbo-orgy to manifest a Keeper Of Secrets into existence.

Like, for all the awful things that happens through chaos, there is at least a carrot of "gifts from your god, power and status" to go along with the stick of "horrifying painful mutation", compared to the Empire being oops-all-stick "toil endlessly and suffer a nasty death, become rations for the next generation of endless toilers".

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So in the first act, how differently do things play out if you do the three events (nav station, prison planet, main planet) in a different order?

In my game I did the nav station first, the tech priest power plant second, and the prison planet last. Because I did the nav first, they gave me the option of looting the place because it wasn't damaged by the extended rebellion. I got to the prison planet last and I can guess the big difference in that The Winterscale kid was already downstairs being mega tortured. I'm guessing if you go there first you catch him before he goes in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Has anyone found any flame weapons worth using? I specced into flame with my MC and while having 1 AP sprays is nice as a backup for my officer, flamers seem to do fuckall damage and Cassia is so much better at dropping rediculous aoe templates and screening out the trash in fights.

Also I'm only in the beginning of act 2, when do I get into heavy weapons proper? The one I got from the act one finale is heretic only.