Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

frajaq posted:

I could do some messed up things in Wrath of the Righteous on Chaotic Evil Demon path... I wonder how far Owlcat is gonna go considering its 40k...

Based on the little I've learned of Rogue Trader the past week the evil path will probably be that one dbz filler episode of Vegeta and the bug planet on repeat but with mad profit after every genocide and destroyed planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's the consensus so far?

From what I've heard and seen it's surprisingly competent for an alpha outside owlcat's traditional pathfinder wheelhouse. I was expecting a much bigger shitshow but if they can staple a bunch of heavy crpg mechanics onto a mediocre xcom lite and make it work I'd consider that a solid victory

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Wrath was much better for combat since it improved a lot on Kingmaker's extremely basic enemy ai. But honestly I feel like it had way more "open a door and get hosed by a satan lobster" type poo poo going on, it just wasn't frontloaded at lv 2 or whatever like a lot of the nasty bits in Kingmaker were

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Aramoro posted:

For me BG3 had set a high bar for encounters. Whatever else you think of that game I could describe a fight and you would know which fight it was and why there was a fight.

Theres no, walked 5 meters and found 6 absolute randos who pose no threat, have nothing useful and waste my time. Then move 10 more meters and get another trash mob but this time they have a sniper rifle? They're just time sinks in the game which maybe throw some wounds on your guy.

Yeah all those needle blight ambushes and generic zombie/wraith encounters in Act 2 were super memorable. Also can't forget the "ambushed by a half dozen doppelgangers" fight at the circus no wait under the temple no wait at the harper hideout no wait the wine tasting festival no wait the barber's no wait

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Further Reading posted:

I haven't played BG3 but I have a similar opinion about their encounters in divinity original sin 2. One of my favourites was the oil well fight, I replayed that like half a dozen times trying to figure out how to save the guy on the rig.

OS2 actually had amazing encounter design that peaked during Act 2
- Oil Field
- Demon Isle
- Voidbug Cave and the op Dwarf cultists guarding it
- the tomb with the skeleton and her frost dogs
- the cabin where the blind elf was held
- the town that's under constant meteor fire with the crazy undead monster
- the lizard Sourcerer on the run in the ruins
- paying the Troll Toll twice over
- crucified I'll kill your shining lights lady

There's so much going on in that map it's nuts. The Island fumbles things a bit but there's still some neat stuff like the goblin clockwork pocket dimension or whatever

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Probably going to spend 5 hours on the char creation screen in paralysis. At least with Pathfinder I had some tertiary 3.5e knowledge from NWN2

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
"I remember the fight so it's good" is not really something worth arguing so good on you I guess

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Maybe they changed that temple fight from launch since when I played it was "oh three guys on a ledge" *has like 20 thunder arrows and a hammer that causes AoE knockdown equipped* and then after the obvious happened I teleported down and beat the guy to death before he even got close to finish chanting.

I would also say there's plenty of random garbage fights in the Act 2 overworld map like that one nook where the moonrise pilgrims wind up if you force them to leave the tower. Maybe there was an item, I don't know. i don't really consider that when evaluating a fight. But even then I wouldn't go wide eyed with awe if some easy fight drops the 20th monk bracer that no one in my party can use seriously that poo poo was a bit overkill

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Kind of torn on the last character. Since it's a 40k game redemption for them might be impossible, but on the other hand there's the Ynnari so maybe they can mellow out whole still being a crazy murderer?

I've heard rumours of a datamined soulstone conversion plotline but that could always be some rando bits from the other xenos being misinterpreted, or just dropped from the game entirely like that one Devil Mythic Path update that never happened

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Hot take: My playthrough of BG3 was more buggy than my playthrough of the Rogue Trader beta.

I went through the second entrance of the Mountain Pass to see where it would send you and every model and texture in the game got deleted except for the party's torsos which were T-Posing. Very spooky

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
PC Gamer has had a very storied history with Bioware

https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-2-review/

quote:

To make Origins, BioWare dredged up buckets of backstory from the minds of their best writers. A new land was invented, branded with religious intolerance and inherent racism. Then, once the continent of Thedas was concrete, BioWare forgot they'd invented all that engaging stuff and slapped a typical 'kill the big bad thing' fantasy plotline on top. For all its size and wonder, Origins didn't make full use of its fascinating world.

Dragon Age 2 does it right. It's still an RPG epic, it still takes upwards of 50 hours to finish. It's still got a deep, complex combat system, and it's still got a well-defined supporting cast. But it's also an RPG that wears its mythology proudly, confident in its goal of charting the rise of a complete and utter badass. You.

Dragon Age 2 is not what you expect. Hell, even during preview sessions, I hadn't anticipated it being this much of a traditional sequel. But by locking down the context – the world and the politics – BioWare were free to fill their creation with more character and vitality than any title in recent memory. The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If that's what they have to say about DA2, then they have absolutely no credibility in my eyes- DA2 was utter garbage :colbert:

I'm not sure if that reviewer is even a part of PC Gamer anymore, it's just incredibly funny and timeless as a piece of writing

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

Infinity engine forever.

Though maybe triple A games aren't for me.

I played BG2 only like 5 years ago and it is definitely head and shoulders above anything else in the series, though BG1 is woefully underrated. There's something oddly comforting in mapping out those zones and genociding the wildlife and gibberlings

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I played WotR at launch and it was fine beyond the odd mechanical class feature bugs and that one Lich crusade thing. As opposed to Minthara going in an endless loop screaming about how Ketheric is dead for the entirety of Act 3 or not getting a real ending until 4 months after the fact

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

I coulda sworn the preorder was $40, on release it's $50!?

The deluxe edition was $50 USD on their site yeah. GMG has a 18% off code though so you can still get close to that price

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
From what I've heard psyker and Officer Point at Guy builds seem to be the go to for uniqueness and efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought they did put out all of the originally planned DLC for Wrath, it was just so successful that they are doing another round of DLC.

Yeah I think they're at the end of round 2 or something which considering the War and this game coming out it's probably a decent pace