Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should point out that 40k is still a Satire. Satire does not need to be silly or humorous. It can be, but exaggeration and ridicule are also parts of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Psycho Landlord posted:

It started as satire and then from editions like 5-7 it was no longer satire and that was Very Bad.

I don't think "Hire Fans" has ever backfired as spectacularly as it has with 40k tbh.

It's still satire as they pointed out pretty recently even if it's taken a bit more seriously.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

I could do some messed up things in Wrath of the Righteous on Chaotic Evil Demon path... I wonder how far Owlcat is gonna go considering its 40k...

Seems you can fall to Chaos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They can be burned out. To the Imperium it’s just generally not worth it unless they think the planet is important enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A good example I saw was in the Intro of Space Marine.

The Forgeworld Graia is under Ork Invasion. It produces Warlord Class Titans so it's considered Strategic Value Absolute. The first option asked is Exterminatus which is rejected immediately as it's Strategic Value Absolute and they won't give up the planet no matter what. The next option asked is deploying Capital Weaponry and bombarding the orks, which is rejected as the estimated reduction in manufacturing output from all the damage a bombardment would cause is considered unacceptable. The next is sending in a Liberation Fleet, which is accepted, and expected to arrive in 5-37 days, but the time frame is considered unacceptable, as there is a good chance the orks will do serious damage before they arrive. To keep the damage the orks do to a minimum they request the nearby Ultramarines to deal with the orks until the Liberation Fleet arrives.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From Wrath and Glory here is a little thing on the Nature of Machine Spirits, from both Dogma, and a Tech Priest that no long cares much for it, and is teaming up with a Rogue Trader.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yvonmukluk posted:

Only somehow the 40k Character is legitimately the more moral one.

He's more an actual hero, he's just very self deprecating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah real Emperor is appearntly around 6 ft tall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That was one thing I never understood about who the Emperor chose to become Space Marines, the protectors of mankind. Sure, Ultramarines, great choice, noble upholders of the empire of man. But then why did he choose poo poo like Konrad Curze and the world full of murderers, rapists, and murderer-rapists to create the Night Lords?!

Like, have some discretion dude.

Konrad Curze was made before he was sent to that planet. It was Curze who later decided to recruit from there. Cause the Emperor, after all the Primarchs were found, no longer had any interest in overseeing the war effort and left it entirely to the Primarchs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yvonmukluk posted:

IIRC Kurze & Night Lords had actually been on the verge of being censured and ordered to return to Terra due to their conduct, only for the Istvaan III atrocity to happen & the Imperium decided 'gently caress it, we need every Spess Muhreen we have, send them after Horus with 8 other legions'.

Of course they didn't know that the Night Lords & 4 other legions had also secretly pledged themselves to Horus at that time.

Well Curze and the Night Lords due to their extreme actions had been getting along poorly with most of the other Legions for a while. Curze is actually notable in that he and his Legion went rogue and abandoned the Crusade before all the Chaos stuff started going public (Lorgar fell to Chaos before Curze deserted, but he had not actually made a move yet). It was like 10 years or something before they were located again and asked to help Terra cause they needed help instead of being treated like the deserters they were. However Curze had met with the traitors first and agreed to take their side cause Fulgrim and Horus were Primarchs he had kinda liked while he hated everyone on the Loyalist side, so his forces backstabbed the Loyalist ones.

Curze is notable however that he never fell to Chaos or worshiped it. He was a traitor, but Chaos never really came up for him. He was just crazy, vicious, and fatalistic. His Legion fell to Chaos, but Curze chose to die over joining them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pentyne posted:

Curze had some weird thing where he could no poo poo see the future, not warp related, and still let everything play out because what he saw otherwise might've been worse?

It’s more that he was fatalistic and saw the future as unable to be changed which fuelled many of his actions. Sanguinius however a little before the Siege scared him and put doubt in his mind that his visions were set in stone. It’s part of the reason he chose to die as his vision indicated, viewing it as proof to himself that his visions were fated and he was right to never try and fight or change them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A new 40K TRPG is coming out. I wonder if there is any link between this and it.

https://cubicle7games.com/announcing-warhammer-40000-imperium-maledictum/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pentyne posted:

That's a d100, which was too confusing for me to every get a handle on.

Rogue Trader is based on a D100 system.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am thinking whatever makes sense as being the most profitable that does not involve Chaos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Guilliman's orders and ability to enforce them have not actually spread that far in the Imperium. Many Inquisitors don't like him and many worlds have never heard anything about him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The backstories presented by Darktide are pretty good examples of the poo poo going on in the Imperium. I played a Veteran Guardsman who was put on a prison ship to be executed for the crime of saying lunch tasted bad. (Other potential backstories for the arrest were stuff like, not moving out of the way quick enough when a magistrate was walking by, or saying this wealthy priest is probably a bit too flashy with his wealth)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nephthys posted:

No no, she's a 'good' mutant called a Navigator who uses her Psyker powers to help ships navigate the Warp. It's okay that she's a mutant because it's impossible to navigate the Warp without one, so it totally isn't hypocritical at all!

Given that, she's probably a mandatory party member that you can't get rid of so she's important enough to get a statue.

Hey she's not a mutant she's an "Abhuman"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

Navigators are definitely mutants. Abhumans are genetically stable, navigators aren't. Two ogryns will produce a little baby ogryn that will have a totally predictable form, teratogens aside. Navigators, on the other hand, have pretty random mutations. Extra eyes. No eyes. More joints in limbs or digits. Weird tumours. Whatever. It's such that within navigator houses they actually tightly control who can produce children and who can't. Too many mutations and you're single for life.

I thought they were still legally considered Abhumans despite that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

To be fair the Imperium also worked with the drukhari recently in an effort to repair the Golden Throne.

That was just a single radical inquisitor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

1 million.

There are 1000 chapters, each with 1000 Marines. Of course that assumes the chapters are full up, which they almost never are.

There are much more now. Guilliman realized they needed higher numbers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Most of the experienced Drukhari are also semi immortal. Barring their souls being eaten by Slaanesh if they have not been keeping up on their soul offerings, it's really hard to permanently kill them. The Haemonculi aka the Lords of Pain aka the Flesh Sculptors, have entirely mastered the art of manipulating the bodies and souls of most creatures. they can revive near any dead Dark Eldar brought to them, with more important people getting clones their souls can be inserted into in case the body can't be recovered.

Of course all of them are awful awful monsters

Haemonculus Anasta Skaiene posted:

"I've never grafted limbs this massive onto one of your kind before. I wonder if your spine can support the weight of the additional musculature? I have my doubts, but we shall soon find out conclusively. Feel free to express your discomfort as loudly as you find necessary."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord Koth posted:

A few seem to have kind of had a change of heart recently, as presumably those who joined the Ynnari aren't committing the same excesses any more, but given the Eldar in general and Ynnari in particular have basically fallen off a cliff in terms of new lore for a few years now, who knows what's going on there for certain. Hell, the most recent story arc had in the ending a surprise "It's been about the Webway this entire time" - again - and Eldar of any variety were basically a no show for the entirety of it.

Well the Haemonculi are the ones who did most of the work in crafting their horrible culture, and Haemonculi explicitly did not join with the Ynnari, and they were the ones who are always awful monsters even by the standards of the Drukhari.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hellbore posted:

Sslyth. They had a single miniature in a weird Dark Eldar HQ choice that was a bunch of unique characters. Currently OOP, because of course they are.

I believe current lore is that they are Drukhari that had the Flesh Sculptors turn them into snake people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

The Rogue Trader RPG materials treated them like a totally separate species from the drukhari. They're "an ancient xenos culture that fell to darkness long ago" according to The Koronous Bestiary, although it deliberately plays it pretty nebulous.

Yeah I double checked, they are snake like Xenos whose world was destroyed by Slaanesh, and the survivors were picked up by the Drukhari. They saw them as potentially useful so they were kept around and now serve as the bodyguards to many Archons as they would rather trust a literal snake to watch their back over one of their fellow Eldar, and the snakes are relatively easily satisfied with their payments of food/slaves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is the Navigator a Psyker?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just thought Navigators were Mutants with a weird power not Psykers is all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

Navigators can channel all sorts of warp fuckery through their third eye. In the ttrpg they have an array of unique powers, as they do in this game. Actually their ability to uncover their third eye and do a massive AoE cone of damage is pretty amazing. Great for clearing chaff.

Navigators are 'sanctioned mutants'.

I think the proper term is Noble Mutant.

Also looked it up. Their eye is considered a psychic power, but they are not considered proper Psykers cause they can never manifest standard psyker abilities, they have the known powers of their third eye and that is it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefeater1980 posted:

I messed around a bit in the Alpha and it was fine. Just loaded up the beta and it’s amazing; Owlcat really gets the setting. Class-riven, extreme, and the constant threat that if you behave like a decent human being you’ll be killded by daemons.

Even prisoners expect it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah like in the first bit of this game the Imperial Governors are all rogue trader appointed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nanomashoes posted:

If you look at his conviction sheet he's an iconoclast from the start. He would very much like for things to be better, but has made it to 50 in the setting by just doing what is expected of him (fascist violence). He likes it when you tell him there's another way, but isn't brave enough to see that from the start.

Also his compassion pretty much stops trickling down at the middle class.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arglebargle III posted:

Your frigate is about 1600 meters long and 300 meters wide, but it's also like 300 meters tall. It doesn't make sense that an equipped party would take three days to traverse it but it's plenty of space to get lost in.

It's not until you get into the larger battleship types that you get ships the size of Manhattan.

The issue is that the maze of the ship may be hard to traverse in a timely manner as the rescue team might not know the Layout of the 1000 year old ship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Complications posted:

Thankfully for the setting's sanity, the Ordos Chronos is currently (as much as that has meaning) occupied with a civil war over Guilliman's newly decreed calendar that moved the setting past the year 999M41 so there's no chance of Imperial time-fuckery being employed in the foreseeable future.

Opposite Guilliman just found out that the Ordos Chronos is in a civil war called the Chronostrife over what the date is with five main factions, and a bunch of lesser ones. As a result he couldn't figure out what year it is cause between the main five there are at least 800 years of variance and it's another thing on the list he has to work on repairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the Wiki it looks like a lot of work was done on that topic.

quote:

As the Indomitus Crusade's first phase drew to a close some dozen Terran years after his awakening, Guilliman calculated the current year by the five main factional variants of the Imperial Calendar to be anywhere between the early 41st Millennium and an entire millennium later, and that was leaving out the numerous lesser, more heretical interpretations. Guilliman had been hoping to find a solution to the Imperium's tortured dating system; he had instead found there was none. It was something else that would ultimately require his personal attention to repair.

The problem faced by Guilliman was that after the opening of the Great Rift, near every active Imperial war zone had to devise and reinforce its own chronological system. Even had the Imperium of Man not been split in half by the massive Warp rift, the sheer interstellar distances it covered prohibited any accurate reflection of time and space.

Despite the flexibility of the "check number" system of old outlined above, pioneered at the time of the Great Crusade, where the first digit of each timestamp indicated its veracity, it became easy for dates and times to lose all meaning between star systems. Guilliman finally resolved the problem after a long conference with his historitors and the mysterious organisation of the Ordo Chronos. He decreed that a single logic could no longer be applied to time and space within the Imperium.

Through the senate of the High Lords of Terra he made his theory and resultant process into law. There could no longer be a unified Imperial calendar with so much temporal distortion occurring across the galaxy. Even though the rift's temporal warping effects might not have reached the furthest spinward planets at the galaxy's fringes, its psychic echoes -- and the lack of the Astronomican that resulted -- were still felt profoundly on those worlds.

Therefore, each sub-section of the Imperium would have to look to its own chronology, and use the coming of the Great Rift in that sector as its overarching reference point. The Cicatrix Maledictum became the defining point of the new era.

Reading this also got me into reading about the Historica
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Logos_Historica_Verita