Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The all silly satire stuff is either spin off board games from the 80s or people meme posting the very first table top source book from the same time frame. For the majority of its life span 40k has taken itself seriously and occasionally has some comic relief like Warhammer Fantasy. Sometimes with especially bad writers both would become way too self serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay even I know this is incorrect. Warhammer was originally a fantasy setting, made in 1983. In 1987, Warhammer 40k was made as a largely satirical product, riffing on British culture at the time as well as British nerd culture's then-preference for what they would define as "grimdark" storytelling* (similar to how 1986's Blood Bowl was a parody of American football using the original Warhammer setting). It then rapidly became much more serious due in large part to a ton of people doing the "Wow! Cool robot!" meme at it. Some of the serious stuff is also good, other stuff is bad, and how much you like it will depend largely on both which specific 40k property you're engaging with, and how much you enjoy such a bleak setting.

*SEE: Judge Dredd, et al.
Yes I was referring to modern Warhammer Fantasy which Radia was familiar with before. Everything you are talking about with regard to satire is almost entirely from the first Rogue Trader book in the 80s the very first table top source book.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't know if this is accurate but the en-goodening of GW in the 2010s is frequently attributed to Tom Kirby stepping down as CEO in 2014. How much of the bad times for 40k were because of him and how much of it was scapegoating would require someone more knowledgeable about the internals of GW.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deff Skwadron the black and white comic is the best bits of orkiness.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lassitude posted:

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates. Orks are constantly shedding spores everywhere that give rise to new ork armies so they'd probably be about as tolerated as a Chaos companion.
Ork freebooters are literally a playable character class in the table top game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't know if it was in Rogue Trader but a bunch of mooks with cheap automatic weapons was a real meat grinder in Dark Heresy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He absolutely would waste resource on enhanced dongs. The emperor was an enormous idiot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Isn't this supposed to take place in the modern 40k setting? Where the current ruler has had the ally with Eldar multiple times?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.
1)Alright might be
2)I wasn't talking about the emperor, it was Roboute Guilliman.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Newcrons are over a decade old and have consistently featured in every spin off media to include necrons of any kind. I can't imagine they'd change that here.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

I stopped playing 40k around the time Necrons were first released/invented, and I know enough through cultural osmosis about the "philosophical" difference between old and new (with Old being the Dark Crusade "undead, unthinking robots who just want to eradicate all life, period" and the New being Mechanicus "Tomb Kings IN SPACE!") but did their design/units evolve that much in the retcon ?
There are a lot of new units. In particular taking the teleport from something that only happens on death or with a monolith to most non-basic units having some kind of special movement.

Samovar posted:

It's... different from how WH40K is typically represented, that's interesting - I do hope that the bleak satire isn't left out, though.
It all seems pretty in line with Fantasy Flight's Rogue Trader.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

For $200 you should be able to gently caress the statue

I don't know too much about the model/figure industry, but the ones they make in Japan that cost hundreds of dollars are usually literally perfect, like not a single missed spot of paint or unfinished edge, from the best quality material possible.

That may be the case for this limited item, or it's one of those knock-off quality ones with a really dodgy looking face and the paint colors bleed into each other.
The kingmaker one was significantly cheaper and just a jabberwock model kit. This evidently was not received well and for Wrath they had what was essentially the same for of model kit of arueshalae but preassembled and painted. Not sure if they're gonna do the same thing again or actually start with the idea it's going to be a full painted statue for this one.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Navigators are one of many things in 40k that are taken directly from Dune, including being weird mutants that get to ignore normal societal rules.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes, worse yet it offers archetypes that can be taken by multiple different classes. Though admittedly with fewer books total in the rogue trader line there are fewer total classes than Pathfinder.

On the third hand a sister of battle and space marine are companions which runs the risk of also including Dark Heresy and Deathwatch classes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bah gowd, is that Paradox music I hear!?
-Troika Games on commentary

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just do what the pathfinder games have done, continue adding DLC and sequels until you have at least one companion of every class. Get a freeboota and a weird boy

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

My one hope is that they find the opportunity to add a Kin companion between now and release.

e: Though now that I think about it I don't think any Kin with an ounce of self-preservation instinct would willingly fly on an Imperial ship. They'd rightfully see the thing as the elaborate death trap it really is
A what?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given that he's the great man theory made flesh, it makes sense that the Emperor would assume he needed to have an even superer progenitor for each legion. Even if that wasn't factually true in universe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's not really canon anymore, but 1st edition when warhammer was better the chief librarian of the ultramarines was a half-human half-eldar.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd argue Wrath was more changed by rewriting than Kingmaker. Kingmaker's rewrites were mostly in the form of providing connection to a previously disconnected series of vignettes and revealing stuff that was on tabletop only GM facing with very little explanation on how to reveal it. Wrath meanwhile actively rewrote the motivations and personalities of several major NPCs and fully replacing several major set pieces.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 3, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Owlcat are literally the guys who made HoMM5, after leaving Nival.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Which makes it even more crazy that they thought the game should ship with the hommode. Even now, years after release and tons of patches later I get 10 fights deep on the map, remember how tedious the system is and mod it out. WotR is awesome to play so why they keep saddling their RPGs with poo poo management systems is beyond me.

Kanos posted:

Which is why it's even more baffling that Wrath's crusade mode was so utterly and completely lovely, given that HoMM5 was probably the second best HoMM game.
Yeah no clue. Only thing that makes sense is they just scope creeped themselves into something unworkable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

gently caress you mean, "second best" ? It smoked a blunt rolled out of HoMM 3's ashes. That's just a strict, indisputable, hard scientific fact.
This is a crime punishable by death in seven slavic countries.

It's also just not as good as Horn of the Abyss, so it's still 2nd place.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really should bring back as much 1st edition stuff as possible. Tyranid diplomats, weird homoerotic marine rituals, beastmen in the imperial guard. Better times.

I mean squats are back anything is possible.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 17, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, dozens, if you count the role-playing games and novels. Fra'al, Hrud, and Jokaero are the big ones that are supposed to be distributed widely across the galaxy and have no models or army book.

In the Koronus Expanse setting the important xenos with no 40K models are the Yu'Vath, Slaugth, and Rak'Gol.
I find it rather funny when an entry on a xeno species in the roleplaying game will go on for paragraphs about how these creatures are monsters who desire nothing but murder, then end by mentioning they interact peacefully with other non-human xenos just fine. A real if you meat an rear end in a top hat every day situation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aramoro posted:

For me BG3 had set a high bar for encounters. Whatever else you think of that game I could describe a fight and you would know which fight it was and why there was a fight.

Theres no, walked 5 meters and found 6 absolute randos who pose no threat, have nothing useful and waste my time. Then move 10 more meters and get another trash mob but this time they have a sniper rifle? They're just time sinks in the game which maybe throw some wounds on your guy.
Maybe we played on different patches, but in my experience BG3 went from being what you described in act 1 with a steady decline into truly horrendous trash mob spams in act 3.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He also evidently had a conversation with the Emperor and concluded there was no value in asking for the Emperor's opinion on anything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Genestealers are specifically implanting people with a tongue attack thing, and even then you'd just need to stop them from having kids.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Votann is a specific nation of Squats. There may be non-Votann squats, but the Votanns are definately squats.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Naah, most Navigators are just heavily inbred in addition to being mutants - can't risk losing those oh-so-valuable third eyes. Cassia was lucky to even be mildly attractive, let alone supernaturally hot.
Most tabletop art of navigators is pretty human looking. They massively tone down how gross any given imperial person looks as soon as they become playable or have to be a miniature. Also there is a general assumption that the more monstrous navigators are kept hidden away from normal imperials.

Like this guy from the 2010s ain't winning any hotness awards but Cassia isn't out of the question for tabletop.

Ryuujin posted:

The first Navigator honestly sounded a lot like the Navigator from the original 80's Dune Movie, except not floating around in orange gas. I think Dune's navigator guild was actually an inspiration for 40ks Navigators.
In general if something sounds like it's from Dune in 40k, it was more explicitly stolen from Dune in earlier editions. Same for Judge Dredd.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It so refreshing coming from BG3 to have a highlight all button again, and an inventory system that wasn't designed for a 90s Ultima game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only real insight into living under Chaos is from the Black Crusade TTRPG. Which honestly doesn't really sound worse than the imperium, in both circumstances you live a short miserable life full of pain, but hey with Chaos you might get to steal some of the good cocaine before you die.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sieze the initiative has bugged out on my twice giving infinite turns but no way to end combat.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lassitude posted:

The novels Traitor General and The Gate of Bones give example of life under Chaos. It's unequivocally worse than the Imperium. Yeah, the Imperium's a dystopian nightmare of corruption and inequality, but under Chaos humans are nothing more than chattel. Slaves to be used up, only to be replaced by new slaves taken from the next planet they pillage.There isn't a future for humanity under Chaos. It's genocidal, not just really lovely like the Imperium.
That's just the Imperium again. You're just not quite as aware of it because the main viewpoint to the Imperium are the nobility benefiting from the slavery. Every imperial vessel literally has whole tribes of chattel slaves to do things like stoke the engines. Only difference with Chaos is that you get the victim's perspective slightly more often. Like Cassia kills dozens of people to connect to ship wifi.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't buy any of the ignorance talk. The second most common emotion you see in imperial named characters is glee at killing or maiming their underlings. Right behind grim resignation.

Carcer posted:

And its seen as an unfortunate thing that has to be done. If you were some sort of chaos rogue trader she would have killed that many people merely boarding the ship and have kept doing it because she can and no one can stop her, she's too powerful and valuable.

Chaos is by definition the dark reflection of everyone's psyches. If you're strong with chaos you can do whatever you want to whoever you want thats weaker than you. The imperium chews up people as a matter of policy, but chaos does it as a fundamental law of its existence.

The imperium is very, very, extremely, super bad but chaos is so far beyond it as to be incomparable.
Maybe you haven't gotten to Cassia's companion quests but she does indeed keep killing people, and is kept around because she's more valuable than them.

Chaos is defined that way because it is the manifestation of the Imperium and to a much lesser extent the Eldar's evil in the Immaterial.

Though just in case it isn't obvious I'm only talking about pre-Guilliman revival Imperium. In theory the places where his reforms remove some of the pointless cruelty are better than Chaos. He is at least no longer strictly genocidal.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Generally with the turn based structure grid that can actually care about elevation encounter design has been made a lot more interesting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The TTRPG more or less says if the adventure would be boring or trivial you can send goons to do it, but Rogue Traders are adventurous idiots so you go on all the interesting and dangerous missions. One of the bestiary plot hooks involves a warrant of trade that was lost because a Rogue Trader insisted on carrying it with him all the time (it was a sound record not the big rear end scroll like you have in game), and he got eaten by a giant worm he was hunting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BG3 on release was bugged in the same way early 3d sonic games were buggy. Everything mostly works out just fine as long as you're only doing what the developer directly thought of. If you handle anything in a weird way or out of order though the game will break in humorous ways. Like killing Gortash when he first invites you to meet him broke many many quest triggers and caused story scenes to play out of order. Choosing non-hostile dialogue options with the kobolds in the graveyard would result in an infinite number of kobolds spawning into the lower city and killing off all of flaming fist npcs through extremely slow turn based combat not-involving the PCs. Loading the game or being forcibly area transitioned while standing on any incline in Act 3 would make you clip through the floor and into the void.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes, sometimes people say it's cause by having people with seize the initiative outside of the party, but there may be other causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

The fact that in-lore there is a non-zero amount of inbreeding in Navigator families (especially considering that House Orsellio does not seem to maintain quarters on Terra) coupled with the fact that the "bug" was the Habsburg Jaw (which is most prominent in this photo of Charles II) tells me that this was less of a bug and more of an inside joke (in poor taste) among the dev team that made it into the final game. Regardless, removing it is definitely for the best.
I don't think so. Her head is oddly shaped to make the model work for the staff holding pose, you can see her face is just longer than most other companions even without the bug. I think they just didn't check how the weird head would look in the gun-holding pose.