Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

V-Men posted:

McCarthy, a congresscritter to Bennie Thompson, another congresscritter, about a congressional committee:

"Preserve your records"

You mean these congressional records? That belong to Congress? Those records that should be preserved and archived?

I don't know. The organization still exists. It has members, I'm sure people can still sign up. In like 6 months, i'm sure the public will by and large forget what it is. It won't become a toxic label or be intensely scrutinized by the public or by state law enforcement. So getting Rhodes is great because hey making conspiring to use force to remove a legitimately elected government is illegal but it's not a huge takedown.

I don’t think Rhodes is as big of a deal as we want to it to be. I HAD an acquaintance who was all into that Oathkeeper/3%er poo poo back in 2010 and he used to talk about nobody respected Rhodes - but a lot can happen in 10 years…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kestral posted:

Insular immigrant communities that actively resist being assimilated into the wider culture have been a thing pretty much forever, and America has a long history of them. This spooks the hell out of some people, and those people tend to vote Republican.

Isn’t this really a generational issue too? At least from my limited life experience - the first generation comes here and moves to an insular community and then subsequent generations assimilate while also keeping some of the norms of the first generation?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It depends. There are religious enclaves in New York State and New York City that only speak Yiddish and whose religious schools barely teach English, and Yiddish-speaking Jews have been around in the USA since the 1820s. However, they're a tiny fraction of New York Yiddish speakers in the 1920s. See also some of the Amish/Mennonite cloud of worshipers.

I'd love to hear about other long-lasting non-English conclaves.

I went to college in Lowell, Mass which is a majority southeast Asian city (split among Vietnamese and Cambodian populations mostly.) My closest friend from college is a second generation person. His parents know enough English to get by and were able to work but from what I’ve gathered is that they prefer he only interacts with his the kids of people they fled the Khmer rouge with.

He’s gone as far as to reject the arranged marriage they wanted but he still lives at home at 40 because according to him - it’s what that generation expects.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wait - there’s a GJ in MI too? Is for the same thing as Georgia?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Regarding the MSW network podcasts, isn’t AG a little controversial at the moment too? She had to apologize for homophobic comments from 2009 today and another friend pointed out some long Twitter fees by a RWNJ that seems to show she lied about service.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

There's a good podcast called "Jack" (as in Jack Smith) on Spotify hosted by Andy McCabe and I can't remember the woman lawyers name but she's a good host too. They don't have new episodes every day but they are pretty frequent and quite good.

Alison Gill. She also does cleanup on aisle 45, the daily beans, and her network hosted the OA podcast until Torres was revealed as a sexpest

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

https://youtu.be/Yn0L67s9iWg

Michael Popok*, notes that the court clerk was likely responsible for entering the indictment, selected "related" to previous case, hence Cannon as intake. Also noted that it was filed in Miami, so the trial would be in Miami and Cannon would have to travel the 100mi to preside. Mostly though, Cannon will self recuse or the DOJ will file with the 11th circuit for reassignment.

Also a repeated, though not explained statement, This is a jury trial. 4:40

* Not that I follow this person. Executive partner of a firm in NY with multiple affiliate locations.

Michael Popok is part of the MeidasTouch network. The podcasts "Can" be a little over the top because they have one where Michael Cohen just rants and drops Fbombs with Ben Meiseles - but Legal AF with Meiselas, Ben and Karen Friedman Agnifilo is a good listen.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

I would understand if they couldn’t have a trial until after, but why not go as far as indictments and then postpone?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Court cases take forever. I was just involved as a a defendant in one that spanned 3 states and is still on going in one. One of the people involved in the case has managed to make another case he’s in get delayed repeatedly over 7 years. Given Trump and who is there’s no way he won’t try that tactic.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I…lost a defamation case.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I mean… isn’t Grover Cleveland really the only comparable person - non consecutive terms?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Occupy Democrats though.

Occupy is basically one or two people at this point. While he may have sensationalist headlines, his work is usually pretty close to truth.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’d youve actually listened to the MSW network - she might have been wrong about Mueller indictments but she’s been pretty solid in her predictions since bringing the former FBI guys on board.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

TBF, Mueller did lay out a persuasive case for indictment but Barr let Trump do One Weird Trick to get out of it.

That whole thing just makes me so angry, right up to mob adjacent Michael Cohen somehow being taken seriously by that same crowd because he turned on Trump.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I am utterly convinced he sold state secrets, and that it will be part of of a superseding indictment.

Imagine if it all runs full circle and the whole Mueller investigation turns out to be true (it is)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Not that it matters but the Nixon Center rebranded itself as the center for the national interest and hosted the infamous 2016 foreign-policy speech investigated by Mueller.

https://gordonua.com/english/news/e...sky-316154.html

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I want to know which one Boris Epstyn is

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m going out on left field and declaring that #6 is Jack Abramoff because that fucker is still poking around and in Trump world.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

A good consolation prize I suppose, but I was really hyped at the thought of it being Thomas' wife.

I’m just glad it was someone who was ALSO involved in the Mueller investigation

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It’s one thing when you work with a foreign power to get elected but when you cross the line of destroying our “democracy” that’s one line the neocons can’t cross.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So the GEORGIA case mentions other states he was trying to do the same thing in.

Why aren’t we hearing investigations there?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Youngkin is the one we need to be afraid of. He’s a younger more eloquent trump with the religion amped up to a million.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Vince is also being investigated by the feds. Birds of a feather.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can we talk about what the 2024 election looks like?

If Trump wins the nomination but has to drop out for a conviction somewhere does Vice Presidential candidate tuberville become the nominee?

What is the best case scenario here for after Trump convictions and prison time?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Are all these guys going to the same prison? Do they get spread out?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Someone’s going to file this in every state before the year is up. It’s not going to work - I’m not sure it’s a good idea.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m expecting the court to issue a narrow ruling to avoid the insurrectionists heavily armed wrath. I don’t want to go all clancychat but I don’t see how finding Trump can be removed results in anything less than another insurrection.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Why isn’t this argument extending to all the Freedom caucus people clearly involved?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So how much has Trump been able to delay all of these timelines? Are we screwed?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can someone show me a good path forward here where we don’t end this year with Trump as president? I just don’t see the Supreme Court doing the right thing and his supporters don’t care about crimes.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Murgos posted:

I expect we’re going to find out that a lot of Trump Orgs business just so happens to be laundering money through some scheme of (fake) room rentals, condo fees, dining and resort dues and the subcontracts to mob businesses for services to support that.

I was part of an investigation to reveal just this among all the high rises in sunny isles Florida before somebody had it shut down.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Probably not, the constitution actually says the president’s compensation may not be changed during his term

Now if a president ever had other sources of income they refused to relinquish upon entering office, then maybe we’d have something

Wages/compensation are taxable gross earnings. A garnishment is an after tax deduction that impacts your take home pay but isn’t part of your compensation

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The problem with Meidas is that they make everything g click baity right?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Cimber posted:

So, thats close to half a billion in cash Trump has to come up with to appeal these various cases. 78 Mill for the defemation case, 350 for this case...thats gonna loving hurt. How is he going to cough up the cash for this if he can't take out any loans?

Well...hey Vlad, I got some documents in the bathroom of my golf club, you interested?

Oh, the judge also tacked on interest too, going back to 2019. Whats 5 percent interest on 350 million over 5 years?

A lot of money. I think 80 mil?

How does one run for president with this ?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Any company that gives you a gift card for anything usually isn’t telling you that per IRS rules they have to add the income to your taxable earnings for your w2.

It usually comes from some overzealous HR person who wants to help with employee morale and has been granted a yearly budget to do it, which has to be coded a certain way for finance to get a tax write off.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I know what you’re all saying, but my prior company used to buy everyone a free turkey gift certificate from anywhere. They claimed it didn’t meet the rules to add to 2s

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I tend not to post 'em but there's an inconstant stream of such cases announced from DoJ involving Russian funds and diversions.

There’s so many schemes out there involving Russian nationals that the FBI doesn’t have time to investigate them all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I remember when I was doing my Russia research pre lawsuit, I found that the head of Sberbanks wife had registered Sba LLC out of Florida like a decade ago and never got around to checking if it was supposed to be a sberbank front.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

The vanguard of the true-crime podcast, Serial was a report by an amateur sleuth looking into the death of Hae Min Lee, whose ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed had been convicted of murdering based largely on cell tower evidence.

The podcast came down strongly in favor of Adnan's innocence, largely because of flawed and biased analyses

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Hae_Min_Lee

Wasn’t a Best Buy pay phone one of the plot points in an episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is it time to start freaking out yet? The courts have failed us and we are relying on Americans to do the right thing?