Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hi.

Spinoff thread from USCE for people to post about these 1/6 hearings as they happen

https://apnews.com/article/where-to-watch-jan-6-committee-hearings-98a4f76f23a5bab1ab6ed1638fd93294

There's a live link to watch it in that article but I can't direct link it. Should be easy enough to find and starts at 8pm

Not sure how much the forums care about this anymore but I do so...anyway...here's the thread for it since I didn't see another one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nearly a year since its inception, the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol will go public with its findings starting Thursday night as lawmakers hope to show the American public how democracy came to the brink of disaster.

The series of hearings that will take place over the next several weeks begin with a prime-time session Thursday night in which the nine-member panel plans to give an overview of its 11-month investigation. More than 1,000 people have been interviewed by the panel, and only snippets of that testimony have been revealed to the public, mostly through court filings.

What you need to know ahead of the hearing:

WHEN WILL THE HEARING TAKE PLACE?

The first of six hearings is set to go live at 8 p.m. EDT on Thursday. It will take place in a large House office building in the U.S. Capitol complex. Lawmakers plan to have witnesses testify and to display a series of never-before-seen images and exhibits relating to the lead-up to the insurrection and the attack itself.

WHO IS EXPECTED TO TESTIFY?

Thursday’s prime-time hearing will open with eyewitness testimony from the first police officer pummeled in the mob riot and from a documentary filmmaker tracking the extremist Proud Boys, who prepared to fight for Trump immediately after the election, and led the storming of the Capitol.

It will also feature the committee’s accounts from Trump’s aides and family members, interviewed behind closed doors, of the deadly siege that Democrats and others say put U.S. democracy at risk.

British filmmaker Nick Quested, who recorded members of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group as they stormed the building, and Caroline Edwards, a U.S. Capitol Police officer who was seriously injured in the attack, will be among the witnesses.

In subsequent hearings, the committee has reached out to a group of Trump-era Justice Department officials, including Jeffrey Rosen, the acting attorney general at the time of the riot, about having them as witnesses, according to a person familiar with the matter who insisted on anonymity to discuss private conversations.

WHAT WILL THE HEARING ENTAIL?

The first hearing is expected to be a table-setter for the rest of the subsequent hearings. The committee, comprised of seven Democrats and two Republicans, plans to lay out several areas of information it has gathered throughout its investigation. Lawmakers are also expected to focus part of the first hearing on far-right extremists who broke into the building that day.

The panel’s probe has so far been divided into a series of focus areas, including the efforts by former President Trump and his allies to cast doubt on the election and halt the certification of President Joe Biden’s victory; the financing and organizing of rallies in Washington that took place before the attack; security failures by Capitol Police and federal agencies; and the actions of the rioters themselves.

WILL THERE BE NEW DETAILS ABOUT THE INSURRECTION?

Several members of the committee have promised new and explosive information to arise from the public hearings, but it remains unclear what that will entail.

The hearings are expected to be exhaustive but not the final word from the committee. It plans to release subsequent reports on its findings, including recommendations on legislative reforms, ahead of the midterm elections.

Let me know if I should add something to the OP but I think most people here know what this is. I was just making a space for it

Added a calendar by request

Discendo Vox posted:

Biggerboat, could we get this calendar link that Tesseraction (and iirc one other goon) provided added to the OP?

https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Considering the Big Four networks (yes, Fox included) are covering this, I expect this to make a bigger impact than what the average D&D poster expects, which is to say I think there will be an impact.

Maybe, but tonight is probably going to be performative and I expect the rest of it to play out like both of Trump's impeachments and the Kavanaugh hearing. Meaning I already know what people are going to say not only in the chamber but the pundits as well. The fact that it's 7 Dems and 2 Republicans right there is an automatic "witch hunt" on talk radio and FOX with a sprinkling of "what about all those angry black people that burnt down or looted a Target store?" poo poo thrown in. CNN is going to run SHOCKING REVELATIONS in Bold Headlines that are going to push Uvalde off their front page since it's been over a week and that completes that cycle until the next time.

Democrats are going to do jack and poo poo about any of it and 3/4 of the Republican base are going to view the whole inserruction as a good thing since over 70% of their voters honestly believe the big lie while they label the 2 Republicans on the comittee as RINOS, now ripe for primarying.

I don't think we're going to learn anything new. I watched it unfold in real time on live streams with no media filtering and already know what it was. I saw and heard it with my own eyes. I suspect we might get some bog standard right wing insanity being delivered on the floor, MGT or Gaetz style, that will make soundbites but we've already seen that that doesnt move the needle and in fact the GOP base actually loves it and believes all of it. Some rear end in a top hat (or several) are going to get up there and claim again that the election WAS stolen and defend these gravely concerned American Patriots. Maybe with a Jesus or Jefferson name drop.

It's going to loving suck.

But I figured I'd create a thread for it so as not to poo poo up all the other ones.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, if 70% of the Republican base aren’t going to be swayed no matter what, then you still have 30% you can reach. That’s a lot of voters!

I see a big future for you in the DNC as a strategist! Get that resume out!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dudes, I was off work that day and loving watched/heard all of it on unedited livestreams. For some reason, most of them came unarmed. This time. That's a little suprising given how much they love guns and how much dry powder they've been storing since Barrack Obama was elected.

If that IS his real name I mean.

Also, Trump is never going to jail gtfo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Thinking about the republicans who described this as "oh just some guys wandering around for a bit, no biggie"

I've overheard shppers and coworkers claim they were "invited in" based on the videos of cops falling back here and there. Then I show them some OTHER videos and somehow that was Antifa.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

To that end, they also edited footage

E. Revenant posted:

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1535091397614870539?s=20&t=OG-jWnpoOne1y35dHM-8vw

Even when completely talking over the proceedings, FOX still had to selectively cut out video of what actually happened so as to keep their audience in their message controlled bubble.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's the video that was shown with previously unseen footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_O91gyj9o

So...should I just leave this thread here or start a new one for the next hearing?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't get over how many white Antifa plants they got to pull that thing off

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Murgos posted:

Right. This opening hearing did a couple of things.

1. It clearly stated that Trump committed a coup and that planning for the coup started in November, it was not spontaneous or just people acting on their own
2. It clearly set out that Trump knew his claims were false and his staff and supported knew they were false from the beginning
3. It clearly stated that Trump refused his duty as president during the attack
4. It clearly stated that the attack was violent and Trump knew it was violent and it was not just tourists
5. It clearly stated that the attack was premeditated with planning starting from a trump tweet that immediately followed a secret planning meeting with crazy people

That was the agenda and summary, we will see the detailed evidence in the hearings over the next weeks with enough bombshells to capture headlines, followed up by a big closing statement/presentation at the end.

FAKE NEWS!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OgNar posted:

There have been recordings of GOP meetings planning on 'making friends with lawyers/judges in each state just to be able to contest the next election' easier.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/01/gop-contest-elections-tapes-00035758

Oh it's coming. Believe it and get ready for it.

I expect every election moving forward in my lifetime to have accusations of VOTER FRAUD attached to them and that what little fraud there is will be done by Republicans.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kind of a fluff piece but whatever

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-middle-east-congress-philadelphia-0a871c7f5ba417cbd38684d979c69421

Jan. 6 hearing doesn’t change many minds in Philly suburbs

quote:

“I think what this administration did is far worse (than Watergate). We all see what happened,” said Pigott, 58, a Democrat who lives in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, north of Philadelphia. “I’m convinced he instigated all of it. ... I think this is the worst attack on our system of government since the Civil War.

His was hardly a consensus view. Others among more than a dozen voters interviewed — in coffee shops, stores and by phone — dismissed the hearing as “rubbish,” or simply did not watch.

In the interviews, Democrats said they wanted to see Trump held accountable. Republicans said the hearings amounted to a concocted excuse to persecute the former president.

Ron Soto, 84, a retired truck driver from Langhorne, is an immovable Trump supporter. He sounded aghast that anyone would tune into the hearing. He was watching Fox News, he said, which talked about the hearings, but didn’t air it.

“Who would watch that rubbish anyway? All they’re trying to do is isolate Trump and pick on all of his friends,” he said. “They want to find him guilty of something.”

Mike Domanico operates a Trump merchandise store in Bensalem, not far from Philadelphia, with another one set to open in central Bucks County. He’s a Republican and a stalwart Trump supporter.

“I watched as much as I could stomach and then I was like this is a bunch of crap,” he said. “I couldn’t take it any more.”

I love the whole "they want to find him guilty of something" as if they just made everything up or that poo poo like this happens all the time. Reminds me of how many times John Gotti walked. Yeah, they really just wanted to find that murderous criminal extornist guily of something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'd be surprised and shocked if anyone gets charged. Or at least anyone with no political connections or that makes more than 75 or 80 grand a year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Pretty much, the Dems are using this to let any active Republican off the hook. We’ll may see Giuliani tier republicans get named, and they will continue to center this on Trump, but they won’t go after anybody they can perceivably gain cache with and they certainly won’t point out that the current GOP are coup supporters who’re working towards a second one by way of dismantling our democracy.

Yeah, they might trot out a few Proud Boys and one or two of the more egregious examples of crazy poo poo from people in the crowd but doubtfully anyone connected in DC or that can afford a team of lawyers.

I cant help but keep trying to picture how this would play out had it been BLM reacting to, say, an attempt on Barrack Obama's life or something similar. The difference to me is that BLM has legitimate grievances but all this poo poo we're watching now is based on the false belief that widespread election fraud swung the 2020 election and driven by a bunch of fanatical weirdos that actually buy into this poo poo.

That many people turning out with that much rage and anger over something that never happened is the scariest part. BLM isn't trying to assert white cops and republicans barbecue black children at clan cookouts and drink Sangria made from their blood. They're protesting murders documented on video and want police to stop killing people. They're also not trying to say that all the Targets that were burnt down or bricks that got hurled were really MAGA Proud Boy undercover operatives - even though SOME of that poo poo actually happened.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am not stupid enough to think any of this will quell MAGA. That genie is out.
I am stupid enough to believe the GA DA and the DOJ are going to nail the gently caress out of DJT and lots of other people from his administration. I base that on the requirements of law and the evidence I have already seen. I am confident the GA GJ and the DOJ will have everything they need to not only prove the crime but also intent. Don't forget Eastmann has at least two hand-written notes from Trump in his Federal case in CA. I think odds are good there are more, and possibly better, smoking guns out there.

I wish I shared your optimism. You're not wrong. I just don't see a road forward for anyone in a position of power caring enough to do what's right and doing anything about what we've all seen with our won eyes. If 1/6 had somehow led to a huge group of rich people people having their money taken from them then I think we'd see action. But as it stands now, 1/2 of our two viable political parties finds these morons fairly useful and only needs to figure out a way to kind of sort of control them.

I think the fact that they can't worries them and the smarter republicans can see the Frankenstein monster for what it is but none of them are getting elected without that creature making his way to a ballot box. Hell, some of them are getting primaried from the right for not buying into it.

Seven out of every ten Republicans think the election was stolen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Today's hearing starts at 10am

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/13/politics/watch-january-6-hearing-online-tv-streaming/index.html

The hearing is expected to detail how then-President Donald Trump “engaged in a massive effort to spread false and fraudulent information” even though “Trump and his advisers knew that he had, in fact, lost the election,” according to panel Vice Chair Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, who outlined on Thursday what the committee plans to unveil over its seven June hearings.

Monday’s hearing will include testimony from conservative Republican election attorney Ben Ginsberg and former Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien, according to a press release from the committee.

Additional testimony is expected from BJay Pak, the former US Attorney for the North District of Georgia, and Al Schmidt, a former Philadelphia city commissioner.

Chris Stirewalt, the former Fox political editor who was fired from the network in January 2021 after right-wing backlash to Fox’s call of Arizona for then-candidate Joe Biden during the 2020 presidential election, will also appear as a witness.

The hearing will be aired live on CNN and a livestream will be featured on CNN.com without requiring a login.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Oh, so THATS how it works. Ok got it. Real news during day. Fake poo poo when the moon is out.

It's probably also a lot to do with their highest rated show (Tucker) being on last time.

I highly doubt they just had a moment of clarity or cared about the criticism they got.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Historically authoritarians/flagrant liars like Trump seem untouchable right up until 5 minutes after they're not. Even then it's sometimes not clear for some time that that moment has passed, and many of the things that seemed to bounce off them actually caused deep damage that piled up until the end.

I feel like this could be one of those moments, but it could be nothing. I felt like that in the immediate aftermath of Jan 6th as well.

I have my doubts but it really doesn't matter since the thing moving forward will be the Trump BRAND and STYLE, even if it doesn't have to be Trump himself. Hell, if someone can ape the same bullshit without all the faux pas and hard to defend word salad, they'll probably be even more effective.

Right now I think Trump is a lock for 2024. I don't see anyone on the Democratic bench with a whole lot going for them and the few I like are doomed because they're "way too far left and radical". Most of the country think that what's happening right now is because of Biden's "Far Left" policies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Has this stupid thing finally started?

Why do you think it's stupid?

Also, wondering, how is "apparently inebriated Rudy Giuliani" different from regular Rudy Giuliani ?

Keisari posted:

So, what's the chance of Trump getting indicted?

zero chance

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like I knew most of the poo poo I've been hearing but this is just a loving mountain of evidence. OJ Simpson levels of evidence. And tbh the most disturbing thing about listening to this is having to hear Trump speak because jesus christ what a child he is and I've enjoyed not listening to his self serving petulant voice the last two years. A lone bright spot I guess.

Can't we find two loving people in a nation of millions better suited for the highest office in the land with an idea or two than Joe Biden, Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

What is Liz Cheney's game though? She wants to be moderate queen of the ashes after the Trump led GOP Civil War?

I think she wants a return to the time of "reasonable republicans" that committed their crimes with a lot of cover and obfuscation. Also, she seems fairly intelligent and I doubt she likes the idiotic bullshit that's infiltrated her meal ticket, voter base and family legacy. And, if we're being honest, I think she believes in at least a semblance or an illusion of democracy and seems to honestly realize that all this stuff coming from Trump is the bullshit that Barr called it.

I stop short of saying she has a lot of integrity but I do think that all this is a bridge too far, even for her.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

When is the next hearing?

Tomorrow. For some reason I thought it was today

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah I only read a little bit of it because Trump's petulant style eats at me but it's obvious from the first page that Trump didn't write any of that poo poo. Not enough self aggrandizing and calling people losers.

My god, man. Are Joe Biden and Donald Trump the best we have to offer people? We seem to be in the midst of Carter 2.0 where, like all this poo poo, Jimmy was the one who had to clean up and carry the torch after Watergate but at least Carter was a decent enough guy and posited ideas that may have helped. I'm at the point where I don't think a person with a basic sense of decency can even perform the job of POTUS, let alone rise to the office itself. GWB and Obama both squandered great opportunities to try and wrangle this thing together - at least to a point.

And I keep thinking about that Lewis Black bit about the party of lovely ideas and the party of NO ideas.

When I look at these things cyclically, which I think is wise, we seem to be wide open for Reagan 2.0 and this time, that's going to look like Trump or MAYBE DeSantis. The people that currently worship Reagan would run him out on a rail right now if he were to run today. They don't even know why they like him.

I'm not saying Biden didn't inherent a plate of poo poo but some of this stuff that could have been done about it was a layup. $2000 instead of $1400, for instance, right out of the box. I had low expectations for Biden in the first place and he's still managed to disappoint me. It's like going to see a lovely movie where you're not expecting much and it somehow reveals itself to be even shittier than you could have imagined. What can Biden and his party possibly run on this year or in 2024?

...?

The thing about these hearings: Yesterday was a little dry and lacking in the kind of sensational, visceral spark that might get an average, tuned out voter to notice things, unlike day one. I already KNEW most of this poo poo though and had seen the unedited live streams the day they happened. I know in my heart that no one in a position of any power or wealth is going to suffer in any way for trying to conspire and violently overthrow the loving government. Certainly not Trump. At best, they round up a few Proud Boys or something but the GOP candidate will run on a promise of pardoning them and likely deliver when they win.

Half the country is fine with this, will celebrate it, are heavily armed and would like nothing more than to abolish the free press.

I'm over 50 years old and I can't recall a time in my life where things looked this loving bleak. I really can't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

How are u posted:

Neither could my 86 year old grandmother who died last year.

These are definitely bleak times, but what choice do we have except to keep moving forward? I wish I was born into the world that I hope to live in, yet here I am right here right now. This is our time and its our responsibility to fix the problems, because nobody else is going to save us.

I don't know where to begin "fixing" things. Seems bigger than me and my scope of influence.

My grandma died 11 years ago and she grew up during the depression so, throughout her whole life, things never got worse than that and she was grateful for any improvement. We were very close. She was always mindful of the idea that It Can Happen Here though. I don't know what she might think about the situation right now but I remember talking to her about things like pensions and company loyalty - the things she learned to do and told me to do - don't exist anymore. She worked for Bell her whole life and her husband for Westinghouse. Both retired with great benefits packages that are extinct now.

Sorry I'm off topic but I think it's tangentially related to white grievance (Jan 6)

I think my grandmother would have been horrified with 1/6, especially since it was so many clean cut white people behind it and not those dirty hippies or uppity race baiters like in the 60's and 70's. She'd probably just say it was all up to god or something equally useless and tell me to save my money.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 14, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sure it was because I was younger in the 90's but the 90's were a really cool time to live in. We didn't have the bleakness of the 80's nor did we have the post 9/11 death spiral that we are in now. It was just a cool time to listen to cool music, smoke weed with your friends, and just chill. I'm sure that my view of the 90's (again) is heavily tainted by rose colored glasses. I really hoped my kid would grow up in a cool and good America, instead he's got this poo poo hole.

The 90's were pretty great - or at least seemed like it. Jobs in my field were pretty available and paid OK. They'd give me end of year bonuses and poo poo. Things seemed relatively affordable and poo poo that was out of your reach felt doable and obtainable. True, though, it could just be my age at the time and before the weight of the world came crashing down and I had a kid and poo poo and sometimes things got tough but I don't recall this general malaise, pressure and total sense of hopelessness that permeates everything now.

We made do without certain stuff but that was OK and the ratio of crazy christian Rush Limbaugh rednecks to regular folks seemed manageable. It definitely felt less complicated. poo poo got done without the internet, social media, youtube and cell phones just fine. I got laid a lot. The weed was good. Music could be hit or miss and some of it hasn't aged that great but I was OK with most of it. My money, for the most part, allowed me to live a normal middle class life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kale posted:

Happy Birthday to me today as I remind everyone of that which is truly important again, my grievances.

People that say this can't be real are shitposting and stuck in 2015. One of the annoying things about Twitter.

The Bananana posted:

Sweet mother of God, this can not be real. Can we get a fact check?

Oh, yeah. Now THIS one? This one he definitely wrote. Maybe not but that other coherent and succinct one from yesterday or the day before was not him. And even if he didn't compose this letter, the fact that we have to figure it out and wonder says all you need to know. Satire is dead, etc etc.

Also:

I'm not the best looking guy in the world myself but my god. Some Terry Gilliam characters happening here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's Loudermilk claiming he never gave the tour that we can see him leading

https://twitter.com/RepLoudermilk/status/1536680390840418304

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1537075019918065666

FAKE NEWS strikes again!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

1pm eastern time

https://january6th.house.gov/news/watch-live

Also, Pence's former legal advisor is testifying? Will this be under oath?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/former-pence-counsel-testify-thursday-before-jan-6-capitol-riot-panel-2022-06-15/

quote:

WASHINGTON, June 15 (Reuters) - A senior aide and a retired federal judge who advised former U.S. Vice President Mike Pence are set to testify on Thursday to the House of Representatives committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, the panel said on Wednesday.

Greg Jacob, who served as counsel to Pence, and retired U.S. Appeals Court Judge J. Michael Luttig, who was an informal adviser, are scheduled to testify at the third of an expected six public hearings the committee has planned for this month.

The hearing is due to focus on Pence's role that day in overseeing formal congressional certification of Joe Biden's 2020 election victory over then-President Donald Trump, who has made false claims that the election was stolen through widespread voting fraud.

Did Pence himself ever give an interview to the committee? Doesn't seem like it but I wonder why not

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

We don't know whether Pence has been deposed.

Huh. Seems like it'd be a hard thing to keep secret.

I hope he has though. I doubt he cares much about protecting Donald and probably doesn't have to worry about self incrimination since he seemed to play by the rules. The base already hates him so it's not like he has to care about alienating them. If they have recorded testimony from Pence, there will be a ton of media hype and a lot of discussion about it so fingers crossed.

Having him walk in to testify during the hearings would be some Nathan Jessup poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

He has every reason in the world to keep any deposition absolutely quiet.

Right, HE DOES, but I just meant it would probably have leaked by now. I don't see what sort of blowback or fear he'd have from testifying though, for the reasons I outlined. MAGA's already hate him. Doesn't seem like he did anything wrong or illegal (which is why they hate him). Trump cant hurt him I don't think. Unless he got up to some poo poo unrelated and Donald can out him somehow.

What would he really have to worry about directly related to 1/6?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

There is no way this ends without Tump indicted.

He's not going to be indicted.

No problem, Don. Come on down and get sworn in then spend 12 hours under oath like Hillary Clinton did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

God drat that judge who....talks....real...............slow.........is reminding me of a couple of movie scenes or SImpsons episodes I've seen but my brain can't seem to pull them up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nah, those weren't the Simpsons ones and I think it was like a National Lampoon or a Mike Judge movie. If it gets a fresh birth in my stupid brain I'll post what I'm thinking about because it's driving me crazy.

Also, I'm getting worked up listening to and reading Trump's stupid self serving bullshit all over again and dreading him being elected in two years, which I think right now is a lock. If there's any bright side at all to a Biden victory, and I have my doubts that there are any, it's not having to hear or read Donald's immature petulance 24/7 like some kid that always calls pass interference who claims he wasn't down or touched in a game of two hand touch football.

The Angry Bum posted:

You are wrong but for entirely different reasons. Because it won’t be Trump and his co-conspirators that will end up in the jail. The Democrats on that committee will.

Mid-terms are going to be a disaster for the Dems and once that happens, the Jan 6th committee will immediately turn into the Stolen Election of 2020 committee. Trump wants revenge badly and when 2024 rolls around and retakes the White House, the sights will be set on anyone that dared speak against him.

America wants that kind of circus, as long as the gas prices go back down. They don’t want to see this Democratic congress do anything except try to control insane inflation and head off any recession. But they will tune in if Hillary and Obama get criminally charged and have to face fixed court.

This is by far the most likely outcome here. Trump is never going to be indicted, let alone arrested, and anyone who thinks it's possible really doesn't understand politics, I'm sorry.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 16, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

In Water is Wet news

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-ivanka-trump-biden-voting-elections-1ccfd89df6868911d934529b9e47d6c8

quote:

One by one, several of Donald Trump’s former top advisers have told a special House committee investigating his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection that they didn’t believe his lies about the 2020 election, and that the former president knew he lost to Joe Biden.

But instead of convincing Trump’s most stalwart supporters, testimony from former attorney general Bill Barr and Trump’s daughter Ivanka about the election and the attack on the U.S. Capitol is prompting many of them to simply reassert their views that the former president was correct in his false claim of victory.

Barr’s testimony that Trump was repeatedly told there was no election fraud? He was paid off by a voting machine company, according to one false claim that went viral this week. Ivanka Trump saying she didn’t believe Trump either? It’s all part of Trump’s grand plan to confuse his enemies and save America.

The claims again demonstrate how deeply rooted Trump’s false narrative about the election has become.

“It’s cognitive dissonance,” said Jennifer Stromer-Galley, a Syracuse University professor who has studied how Trump used social media and advertising to mobilize his base. “If you believe what Trump says, and now Bill Barr and Trump’s own daughter are saying these other things, it creates a crack, and people have to fill it.”

Following his testimony, many Trump supporters using sites like Reddit, GETTR and Telegram blasted Barr as a turncoat and noted that he’s disputed Trump’s election claims before.

But many others began grasping for alternative explanations for this testimony.

“I’m still hoping Barr is playing a role,” one poster said on a Telegram channel popular with Trump supporters.

One post that spread widely this week suggested Barr was paid by Dominion Voting Systems, a company targeted by Trump and his supporters with baseless claims of vote rigging. “From 2009 to 2018, DOMINION PAID BARR $1.2 million in cash and granted him another $1.1 million in stock awards, according to SEC filings. (No wonder Barr can’t find any voter fraud!),” the post read.

Wrong Dominion. Barr was paid by Dominion Energy, a publicly traded company headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, that provides power and heat to customers in several mid-Atlantic states.

Some Trump supporters dismissed Ivanka Trump’s testimony entirely by questioning whether any of it was real. That’s another common refrain seen on far-right message boards. Many posters say they don’t even believe the hearings are happening, but are a Hollywood production starring stand-ins for the former president’s daughter and others.

“She looks different in a big way,” one poster asked on Telegram. “CGI?”

RWM consumers and MAGA's ignore reality.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Today's agenda

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-presidential-70b3fad9f2b3d990c2e097c3d1143f1a

1/6 panel to hear from Raffensperger, others Trump pushed

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House 1/6 committee is set to hear from the caretakers of American democracy — elections workers and local officials — who fended off Donald Trump’s pressure to overturn the 2020 presidential election, at times despite frightening personal attacks.

Embattled Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger is scheduled to testify about Trump’s phone call asking him to “find 11,780” votes that could flip the state to prevent Biden’s election victory.

Raffensperger, with his deputy Gabe Sterling and Arizona’s Republican state House Speaker Rusty Bowers, are scheduled to be key witnesses, along with Wandrea “Shay” Moss, a former Georgia election worker who, with her mother, have said they faced such severe public harassment from Trump allies they felt unable to live normal lives.

Schiff, who will lead much of Tuesday’s session, said that the hearing will also dig into the “intimate role” the White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, had in the plot to pressure Georgia state legislators and elections officials.

Bowers is expected to discuss the pressure he faced to overturn Arizona’s results — requests from Trump advisers that the Republican state leader on Monday called “juvenile.”

In an interview with the AP after arriving in Washington ahead of the hearing, Bowers said he is expected to be asked about a call with Trump during which lawyer Rudy Giuliani floated an idea to replace Arizona’s electors with those who would vote for Trump.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Snuffman posted:

mycrimes.mov?

Fake news.

Another deep fake from the deep state.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Epicurius posted:

My guess is, it's not worth the trouble. If they had tried to call Trump, he would have tried to tie the whole thing up in court for a while, and if he had to testify regardless, every answer would have been a pity filled rant about how the election was stolen from him. Meanwhile, they could have gotten much of the same testimony about the events of that day from more cooperative witnesses.

Then again, Trump loves him some cameras and all attention on him.

Plus, IIRC, he demanded "equal time" since he's being picked on again so, sure. Let's get you sworn in and you just take all the time you want, Donald.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Live stream up now for day 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZPBWZcr-vw

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Evidence of USB ports" - Rudy, a man who has no idea how technology works.

It was a a ginger mint. Whatever the gently caress that is. But Rudy can tell from his years as a prosecutor that it was really a USB drive with an election virus on it and that this young woman and her mother were ring leaders of massive fraud. In any other bullshit case like this, they'd say it was crack. Hell, if anything, I bet those ladies were ready to loving go home and probably pissed when the magic fraudulent ballot "suitcase" showed up because it meant they had to keep working. For what I'm SURE is a very very high inflation causing wage.

I laughed out loud at that "USB port" thing also. Hell, I'm a criminal probably 20x over by that measure. There's evidence if USB ports all over my loving house and several drives laying around in various junk drawers just waiting for directives from Lord Soros to unleash and clandestinely hand to an underpaid poll worker. You think that Rudy has evidence of AV or component cables and VHS equipment in his house? Someone needs to look into that.

Also, I wanna say that even if that Bowers dude is a Republican and thinks the constitution has something to with Jesus, that guy seemed all right and I'd go as far as to say he pretty much owned.

Another thing that gets me is how "surprised" Trump's teams acted that absentee and mail in ballots were counted late in a lot of states and overwhelmingly favored and voted for democrats after they spent an entire year telling their voters not to use mail ins or absentee ballots and show up on election day instead. There's also the bullshit where they pretend that all of these ballots just showed up out of nowhere like a miracle that proves a Fix when, in many states, it was GOP legislation that made it to where none of them could be counted before election day so poll workers were overwhelmed.

I'm starting to think that Republicans don't always argue in good faith.

Also, "The gang who couldn't shoot straight" got a chuckle out of me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, I don't know what a ginger mint is, so I apologize and have never heard of one, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain GB's worth of voter fraud data. That would taste horrible for one thing.

Dr. Faustus posted:

And Kinsinger gets to run a session, cool.

Jesus Christ. I read this as Kissinger for a second and almost had a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oracle posted:

Well there you have it. They ate the evidence, flavoring it with ginger and mint. Its code, you see.

I have a lot of research to do apparently