Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

unl33t posted:

There was no reason to believe that she wasn't set for life prior to supporting impeachment.

Absolutely, she's the right's Manchin except she wants to clean the family name from a position of generational wealth instead of dirtying miners' lungs to further develop it. She's useful in the short term but can eat the corn kernels out of my poo poo otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat that judge who....talks....real...............slow.........is reminding me of a couple of movie scenes or SImpsons episodes I've seen but my brain can't seem to pull them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA35An0mMOY

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Lol throwing food, as one does while being mad at Attorneys General

Oh, other instances, you say? Ripping off tablecloths? Just beautiful little illustrations of character.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I see why they had this surprise session today. It's still extremely dry but it's borderline salacious gossip, and great for TV. We already know all the players and it's obvious he knew it was illegal, yadda yadda, but today is laughable incendiary fluff so far and it's a blast.

Cimber posted:

Trump knew his followers were armed.
He knew they were getting stopped at the Mags.
He wanted them to be let in for photographs
He then wanted to lead an armed crowd to the loving Capital building.
He got hugely pissed off because he wasn't allowed to lead this trip.
Did I get this wrong?

Nope, that's about it! It's okay because "they weren't here to hurt HIM" is a great soundbite.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mdemone posted:

It's not fluff, it's direct testimony. Why are you all not understanding that this is different from us all knowing that it happened?

Perhaps 'red meat for people who like laughing at/hating Trump' would be a better phrase than 'fluff'. I just meant, like, fun and popcorn-worthy. It's obvious that the committee is following an arc structure to the hearings, and everyone paying attention has seen testimony about his knowledge of illegality and the players involved. But the stuff that's come out today is, in contrast, extremely riveting because it's fuckin' nuts. It can be fun and stupid while also being congressional testimony.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hey, Mister Tampering Man, make a call for me :sax:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mulvaney is being trotted around on a leash recently to redeem his image and publicize his new role with CBS as token Republican, and a logical part of the deal would be that he has to publicly make himself more palatable to non-Fox News viewers. He has been a hypocritical, fast-talking bully for paleoconservative interests his entire career and I don't think his status as a true believer in anything beyond power and influence is warranted. He's an intelligent man who uses generic conservative targets and utterly reversible morals as cover for power-seeking (because it's easier than holding to actual personal principles consistently). I don't think he believes in poo poo and it annoys me that I've been reminded he exists this past week or two. Ew.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

So this means "the same as all of them"? Every Republican name I've learned in all of this has been a token liar, just pure loving snake-oil-changes-for-car salesmen. I grant there are career Democrats, but I feel like I can name some D who are "true believers" in the sense that they actually vote for their platform, though maybe they aren't wishy washy because the country is so damned conservative the progressive liberal leftists never have to change their message.

But more to the point, "paleoconservative"... They are either ten million years old, or only eat snake and shark protein?

Yeah, basically that. That kinda speaks to the uncomfortable (for me, anyway) trend of bringing out these people to testify or in the media sphere and praising them for their bravery and patriotism when they're just terrible people trying to wash off the stink that they chose to roll around in. I understand that the committee, etc. has to make a 'safe space to land' and give public pats on the head in order to help people get the balls to jump ship, but it feels dirty. These were, to a person, the self-interested, destructive fucks that planned, helped, and clapped at daddy's dumb tricks, and they knew exactly what was going on and what they had sold themselves for. They deserve to be shunned and ridiculed but if that were the norm they'd never jump ship in the first place. It's an awkward tradeoff at best.

And yes. Ancient liches. The lot of them.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Whoah whoah hey now.

Brad Dourif isn’t a conventionally attractive man, but we don’t have to be lovely.

Me, reporting you for lies:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Who is the woman behind him who looks incredibly disgusted?

I believe it was his wife. I think it was a great move to put this guy in front of the committee. He came across as respectful, genuine, and contrite and I actually felt a little bad for the guy. Yeah, yeah, he was a MAGA dipshit, but being economically distressed with children and working in a cabinet factory in west virginia for 20 years surrounded by people just like you will do some poo poo to your brain. The lack of polish in his testimony made for a good outreach moment for any waning chuds watching, and humanized/de-polarized the committee's overall appearance as well.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cimber posted:

He got caught up in something that was deliberately designs to manipulate, and he likely didn't have the critical thought defenses to ask questions like 'is this person telling the truth' or 'is this claim verified'.

(...)I feel bad for him and other Americans who got brainwashed by this poo poo, because its really loving insidious.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. That's why the early-on cries insisting that people should sever from family members who have been brainwashed seemed so gross to me as well. It's like some awful disease grown in a lab with very specific, tested, exploitative intent, and most people didn't get wrapped up in it entirely through their own free will. It's sad.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Patsy Bologna is a fuckin' moray eel

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

'Preying on their patriotism' is a good turn of phrase.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Uglycat posted:

E: I don't think arrogance, ego and pride are sufficient for explaining his refusal to call off the mob or promise an orderly transition. He was under enormous pressure, sometimes expert wranglers, sometimes careful guidance, but it was a torrent. He had to have ongoing encouragement (be it from co-conspirators encouraging follow through, or agents exerting leverage) from outside parties to resist that.

I dunno, man, I think Lord Fauntleroy has a predictable disposition and set of motivations that make him easily manipulated and lucrative to exploit by those with sinister motives beyond the sophomoric reach of his narcissism. Those machines had been set in motion by just convincing him that the coup could work and the delays were just him waiting for it to finally pan out.

I'd posit that the influence of outside parties had been exerted years before Jan. 6 with the knowledge that, once convinced, Trump would hold to his path with only occasional stroking necessary because to do otherwise would be to admit that he was wrong or, even worse, duped by smarter people. He didn't/doesn't care one whit about any of the rioting rabble that gathered or the democracy they pissed on, he just endured to the point where he thought it would make him look bad. Don't give him an inch of wiggle room.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Random question but could congress/senate propose and pass a law that Trump could not run again, or is this up to courts to decide?

Even if it was allowable, Congress drafting and voting on legislation that's literally a referendum on trump himself would galvanize what he's been trying to do with individual candidate endorsements for two years, and hand him a giant persecution narrative, time in the news cycle, and a great distraction from other stuff. He just now got a floppy old man half-boner because you, somewhere, had that idea.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Yeah, she's not entirely a babe in the woods but that only serves to highlight the awkward similarities between a federal court judge and... I dunno, an electrician or plumber. Bonded and insured! Fully licensed! Paid $50 and passed the state's thing!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

E: wrong thread!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

1 pm Eastern today, right?

Correcto, and here's the PBS NewsHour stream which I appreciate because of their no-frills approach.

https://youtu.be/7mhhCNqsrcI

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

volts5000 posted:

So is this it? The most blatant case of voter fraud and forgery gets dropped because the DA had an improper relationship with a prosecutor. Trump gets off scot-free because of this?

But Ashleigh Merchant gets her profile raised and the DA's ex-husband somehow got a couple bucks. Who's to say what's important, really?