Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

How can anyone watch this and go "yeah, that was just Antifa playing as Trump supporters"?

They don’t believe it. It’s all just lies on lies because they don’t give a fig about the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Dudes, I was off work that day and loving watched/heard all of it on unedited livestreams. For some reason, most of them came unarmed. This time. That's a little suprising given how much they love guns and how much dry powder they've been storing since Barrack Obama was elected.

If that IS his real name I mean.

Also, Trump is never going to jail gtfo

They had arms stashed nearby in case Orange Man said the insurrection act magic words.

They had a plan.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Barr saying in very clear language that he told trump he was full of poo poo about the election fraud and he quit because of it is absolutely key. He was Trumps cabinet advisor on criminal matters and empowered with all the investigative power of the US.

Trump knew his statements were false about election fraud when all the things that are going to come up over the next three weeks we’re planned. Everything from false electors, to strong arming the Georgia SoS to the detailed plans on the order of operations needed to throw the count to the house by delegation. He knew it was all based on lies and so did the people helping him.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

@HouseGOP Twitter account is going nuts. They are scrambing. They are shook.

Hearing 1 was to lay out what the rest of the loving hearings would cover.

This was not their big thing, this was just the syllabus. Class starts Monday morning at 10am with lots of details about how Trump knew he lost, and still launched the Coup. Showing DOJ and us his intent. I dunno who says the hearings are weeks apart. There are like three next week: Mon., Wed., Thu.

Right. This opening hearing did a couple of things.

1. It clearly stated that Trump committed a coup and that planning for the coup started in November, it was not spontaneous or just people acting on their own
2. It clearly set out that Trump knew his claims were false and his staff and supported knew they were false from the beginning
3. It clearly stated that Trump refused his duty as president during the attack
4. It clearly stated that the attack was violent and Trump knew it was violent and it was not just tourists
5. It clearly stated that the attack was premeditated with planning starting from a trump tweet that immediately followed a secret planning meeting with crazy people

That was the agenda and summary, we will see the detailed evidence in the hearings over the next weeks with enough bombshells to capture headlines, followed up by a big closing statement/presentation at the end.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Let’s hope the drip of revelations from the hearing over the next couple of weeks gets the closing summary and conclusions and even bigger share.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

the white hand posted:

It doesn't say how many are watching expecting justice to be done, and how many are watching disgusted by the distraction from what they see as more pressing issues.

There was very little in the presentation or statements I didn’t already know or at least had heard about.

But I follow the legal maneuvering around this issue pretty diligently, even to the point of reading some of the more critical court documents directly to be sure I understand it.

I think for a lot of people most of that was new.

Also, 19 million watching it directly is pretty good since a multiple of that are going to get exposed to the sound bites and discussion from it, and those people are the ones who are more likely to not be up to date on it and may have no real understanding of how bad the event was or how planned and deliberate the whole coup was.

At this point we know that even before the election Trump was making plans on how to contest the election and deny the result before the results were even counted. To the point of involving legal scholars to plan every even questionable legal step that could be made and when that was clearly not going to work just openly illegal actions.

The coup hinged in large part on getting DoJ to provide just a smidge of cover for the state legislatures to submit an alternate slate of electors. First trump pressured Barr to make that statement until he resigned and then Trump pressured Rosen until he (and the entire senior staff at Justice) threatened to resign and the Trump tried to illegally install Clark as AG because he would make the false statement. Without that cover the false electors couldn’t get enough support for a real alternate slate to be passed legally so they made false documents and sent them to the National Archives.

Without real alternate slates there was no mechanism for the senate and the house to actually object to the real slates because there was only one recognized true vote tally.

This planning started before November and a lot of people still think Trump just thought he won and that there was fraud and he was just acting accordingly.

Edit: The big questions I still have are how much did the senators like Cruz know and how involved was he in the planning?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 10, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The Fulton county DA says they expect a charging decision on Trump and company by June 30.

Thinking about this from a cinematic viewpoint, I wonder if the last session of the public hearings will include a vote to refer charges to DOJ? Yes, it would just be symbolic and theater but it would be that public impetus that gives DOJ a clear mandate to launch more aggressive public investigations.

Like formally empowering a special investigator.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you can lock Trump out of the election,
If in the House Committee Interim Report they are going to publish they layout out the sedition case and those to whom it applies that may be enough to make 14th amendment actions in civil court to keep most of the culprits off the ballots.

There is a lot of room in that but it seems reasonable to me that with a clearly written and factual finding that a civil court can find that sufficient to exclude people like Greene, Boebert and maybe even Cruz and Trump off the ballot in enough areas to cripple them.

I’m hopeful that one of the hearings will be CPD video footage of “here’s X who has plead guilty to seditious conspiracy, with others who have been charged, being shown how to get around the capitol by congresspersons on Jan 05, an act in furtherance of the conspiracy.”

Edit: Because we also know that Eastman was also talking to congresspeople about their role in the objection plan and so if show it’s the same people then you can start to draw a line between the conspiracy to siege the capitol and the conspiracy to defraud the US and make them part of the same seditious conspiracy.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 11, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
One of Fox’s more effective tactics is to just straight up attack stories on other channels.

“CNN said 6 police died as a result of the capitol attack and that is a lie, the event was peaceful” And you will never see Proud Boy Briggs push aside the barriers; assault a police officer, knock them unconscious, take their riot shield, run to a preselected window on the capitol and use the shield to smash it open.

Since it’s all US v Them this sets up that if you watch Fox for a period of time then anything not the fox narrative becomes manipulated media, deep fakes or whatever and not to be believed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Murdoch owned newspapers blasted Trump over the weekend in some op eds. Will they finally turn on their monster?

Aren't they still involved in several suits around election reporting? I wonder if a lawyer on their team was like, "You denying obvious facts around Jan 06 is not helping us to avoid $billions in penalties here"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oracle posted:

Doubtful, since op eds are opinion pages and they've spewed bullshit for eons without repercussions.
Sorry, that was in reference to adding the TV coverage. Putting the hearings on and talking over them at least gives them cover that they are just reporting everything and it's not their fault if their viewers draw different conclusions than a rational observer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'd like to see 2 actions come from this set of hearings.

1. A recommendation to refer Trump and as much of his staff and enablers, including state and local officials and private citizens, for whom there is sufficient evidence that they helped forward the conspiracy to the DoJ for a grand jury investigation

2. A definition of sedition that fits within that held by the 14th amendment and other laws that's used to create list of Federal and State officials who are no longer eligible to hold a position under the constitution that can be used by state civil courts as evidence to remove these people from ballots

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Number of Youtube channels streaming the hearing but it's been pushed back to 10:30.

Bill Steppian (sp?) has declined to appear in person due to a 'family emergency' so they are restructuring or substituting in recorded testimony.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
"Followed the advice of apparently inebriated Rudy Giuliani"

efb

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ivanka looks like a CGI facsimile of herself.

edit: "The mayor was definitely intoxicated"

Experts:, "You didn't win"

Drunk guy, "Go say you won"

Trump, "I won!"

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 13, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

"Oh poo poo I'm going to jail. I'm out."

Anyway, I loved the reminder from Steppian that he was the guy who took over after all the fraud that previous spring where the campaign almost tanked.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Nothing will happen to Trump, but it would still be delicious to be a fly on the wall as he rage shits his Depends while watching this.

You know he's watching it because it's about him and he can't not look.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^^ Yeah

Seth Abramson isn't a guy with a reputation sufficient you'd want to use him as a source around here. But that doesn't mean he is wrong.

Joyce Vance is a former US DA and she's saying the same thing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think she wants a return to the time of "reasonable republicans" that committed their crimes with a lot of cover and obfuscation. Also, she seems fairly intelligent and I doubt she likes the idiotic bullshit that's infiltrated her meal ticket, voter base and family legacy. And, if we're being honest, I think she believes in at least a semblance or an illusion of democracy and seems to honestly realize that all this stuff coming from Trump is the bullshit that Barr called it.

I stop short of saying she has a lot of integrity but I do think that all this is a bridge too far, even for her.

It's amazing to me how many big business Republicans want to get into bed with Trump. I can't imagine a worse environment for business than a completely arbitrary and capricious government with the power all in a few peoples hands.

Why on earth would they back someone who is likely to go on twitter and tank their stock for something a VPs spouse said at a party even after they've bribed him?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
He didn’t write that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jarmak posted:

The criminal referral is irrelevant in this circumstance. The DOJ makes the charging decision and they've already said they're looking at everything. All a referral really does is get them to look at it.

Given the political implications the DOJ may be better off without the optics of making such a decision at the behest of the Democrats.

Eh, a bipartisan committee making a factual statement about elements meeting the definition for various crimes and referring it for action may be theater but I would rather see the do it.

I think the symbol is important.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder how much coordination there has been between the committee and DOJ on this and if we can truly take the actions of one as a basis for inferences about the actions of the other?

Well, the investigation into the fraudulent electors plot was reported to have requested and been given documents by the committee.

Also, I’ve seen reporting that there are DoJ attorneys listening on every committee interview, however I am not aware of their specific function. They may be there more for procedural reasons that investigation of crimes.

It was also reported earlier today that Garland said,

“I am watching, and I will be watching all the hearings, although I may not be able to watch all of it live,” he said. “And I can assure you that the Jan. 6 prosecutors are watching all the hearings.”

Edit: Trump endorsed candidates have lost primaries so he’s not bullet proof. Rs elected in opposition to his political machine may well be less likely to kiss his ring as well.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 14, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t think the hearings would postpone a session because some holdout decided to cooperate after realizing they were going to come out looking poorly.

The crimes they did aren’t going away because they admit to them or point fingers.

They material would still stand and it would be even more compelling to start off a session next week with ‘breaking information’ as a sign the Omertà wall was crumbling due to the committee’s efforts.

They weren’t ready so they postponed it. There’s probably multiple teams doing the prep work and the Thursday team was on track so they are going ahead with that stuff on schedule.

The DoJ coercion stuff is bad, very bad, but the Eastman stuff is the very heart of the conspiracy and if they can wing a sitting justice on the way I hope they do it. Thomas sitting on the bench ruling on cases involving his wife’s sedition should put him in jail much less lose him his seat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently the slow speaking judge recently had a stroke so that explains that.

He's doing the thing Mueller did, trying to say, "Trump is loving criminal" without actually saying it or providing anything remotely like a sound bite because being a Republican fucks with your head.

He's Ted Cruz's and John Eastman's mentor and who if he'd been younger probably would have had a spot on SCOTUS. Pretty sure he has been nominated for it every time it's come up for the last 20 years. He is likely just barely able to make the cog dis in his head stop hurting just long enough to say this much. He's probably architected and planned so many far right assaults on the laws of the country that he's personally moved the overton window as much as anyone else in the country.

I get why he was called, he's just short of having Thomas or Alito up there saying Trump is a nasty, but maybe he should have just been prerecorded and only used the bits where the questioners badgered him into succinct answers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am terrified to speak it aloud lest I accidentally make it impossible. But Ginni Thomas saying she WANTS to go before the Committee and "clear up misconceptions" is a thing I desire with burning intensity. She is bug-gently caress insane and I wish to witness her attempt to sound reasonable in her answers to the committees questions.
I figure someone is gonna get ahold of her and talk her out of it, but it would be awesome if she ignored them.

This would be such a gift from the universe I might re-consider my agnosticism.

They won’t put her on live tv without having spent a day vetting her behind closed doors first.

Can you imagine the RWM poo poo show of her screeching about Hugo Chaves Italian ballots or whatever and the committee trying to patiently say that those allegations have long since been disproven? They would be all over how they wouldn’t let her talk and show her ‘evidence’ which would just be all made up nonsense that they can repeat without support because, “they don’t want you to hear it”.

It’s exactly why Bannon or Giuliani or even Trump won’t see a live TV session for these hearings no matter how much they demand it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I heard a theory earlier that makes sense in a really horrific way.

The militia types had weapons stashed in case Trump invoked the insurrection act.

Trump’s orders for the national guard were to protect his people.

Team Trump actually thought that if Pence just started tossing ballots that Democrats could probably find enough ways to challenge or delay counts so as to avoid the state delegate roll call and run out the clock leaving no declared president on the 20th. Which means Pelosi becomes president and Trump stops being president.

So, all that together means there was likely something else that was supposed to happen.

Imagine what a large chunk of America would have done if Pence just started tossing certified electoral ballots with the intent of declaring Trump the winner? Riots right? Riots everywhere.

insurrection act.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

If no candidate holds a majority of the electoral vote (say, because a few states' slates of electors are contested and unresolved), then per the 12th Amendment it gets thrown to the House of Representatives to decide.

Not a simple majority, one vote per representative, though. States vote as a bloc, one vote per state delegation. And Republicans control more states.

Yes? I mentioned that. Eastman and company didn’t actually think it would get there according to some of the recent email releases. As I said, their analysis was that enough delay could be made that who was president would still be an open question on the 20th and it would never make it to the House of Representatives for a vote by then.

Before Pence tossed more than one slate of electors you can bet that there would have been an injunction based on the analysis that he didn’t have that loving power, which even Eastman admitted SCOTUS would find 9-0 against.

So, how does Trump assume power if the months long plan they put together was fatally flawed? By inciting nationwide riots and using the insurrection act to dismantle opposition.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

JFC these people.

Hamilton would have held them down while Burr ran his sword through them.

"Here's a list of people with no legal authority who say you should make Trump president." - sitting senator

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
One thing to remember with the Raffensburger and Sterling testimony is that they have already testified to the Fulton County Grand Jury.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
A hypothetical Trump deposition and why it would be a waste of time:

"Mr. Trump on Day X did the US Attorney General tell you that your Georgia election claim was false? Remember you are under oath."

"I can't recall"

*shows evidence that he was indeed told*

"Mr. Trump on Day X did the Assistant US Attorney General tell you that your Georgia election claim was false? Remember you are under oath."

"I can't recall"

"Mr. Trump on Day X did the US Attorney for Georgia tell you that your Georgia election claim was false? Remember you are under oath."

"I can't recall"

"Mr. Trump on Day X did the Georgia Secretary of State tell you that your Georgia election claim was false? Remember you are under oath."

"I can't recall"

"Mr. Trump on Day X did you then go on television and assert those claims after you were told they were false"

"I can't recall"

*shows evidence that he did*

Fox News, "Can you believe how they browbeat the president with false allegations? They should all be in prison!!!"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I really, really want to hear Cipollone testify, I hope they can make that happen.

The White House Counsel saying, "Yes, I told Trump that was illegal before, during and after he did it" would be pretty epic.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Another thing that gets me is how "surprised" Trump's teams acted that absentee and mail in ballots were counted late in a lot of states and overwhelmingly favored and voted for democrats after they spent an entire year telling their voters not to use mail ins or absentee ballots and show up on election day instead. There's also the bullshit where they pretend that all of these ballots just showed up out of nowhere like a miracle that proves a Fix when, in many states, it was GOP legislation that made it to where none of them could be counted before election day so poll workers were overwhelmed.

I'm starting to think that Republicans don't always argue in good faith.

Steppian and company from hearing day 2 pretty much put to rest any idea that the Red Mirage or Blue Wave was any kind of unexpected thing that they hadn't been told about or know in detail the mechanics of and the why of it.

Personally, I think Trump experienced a Blue Wave in 2016 and since he knew it was going to happen again in 2020 but even more so started negging it mid summer, if not earlier, to intentionally give him running room for his fraud claims.

I'd bet money that if you could get his 2016 team to testify they'd tell you about how Trump understood it all too well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

From RopeCenter:

Regan 1980 - 85%
Regan 1984 - 93%
Bush 1988 - 92%
Bush 1992 - 72%
Dole 1996 - 81%
Bush 2000 - 91%
Bush 2004 - 93%
McCain 2008 - 90%
Romney 2012 - 93%

So that's within normal modern Republican voting margins. 93% is the same Republican of support Regan got in 1984. Lol.

That 93% voted Romney and 93% voted Trump 2020 and they both lost significantly, where 93% used to be a slam dunk just tells you that the Republican party is shrinking.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You got trump's # off, he had ~85% of conservatives in 2020

This tells you that 24% of the country doesn't have a loving clue if they are liberal or conservative.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I had a thought a minute ago.

There is enough evidence out there of Trump committing crimes that a judge has ruled that it’s probable he’s guilty.

This is way beyond what the FBI would need for a wire tap. Heck, there was enough information public for a wire tap of Trump on Jan 03.

Someone please tell me that there are recordings of Trump in private for at least the last few months. If not longer. Please.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Turned down 10,000 to 20,000 national guard, ‘troops or soldiers’?

Wtf….

No one in their right mind would think that 3 to 5 brigades of soldiers were just going to be called up to go stand around the Capitol for an afternoon.

We didn’t have that many in Afghanistan.

Also, lol, that his cheese brain couldn’t figure out if troops or soldiers was appropriate.

Edit: It’s kind of interesting that he’s just straight lying that the Committee hasn’t been addressing his claims of irregularities. They have, repeatedly and pointedly shown testimony that his claims were all “Bullshit” and he knew it but by claiming they aren’t he can pretend like they are ducking the question.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

The committee will still hold its next hearing on Thursday, which will focus on then-President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign on the Justice Department to intervene in the 2020 election,

The DoJ IG office started an investigation into improper use of authority on Jan 25. I have hopes that we get to see some of its findings here.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"on what grounds are you requesting this subpoena" "your honor, it would be tremendous content"

Can you imagine how hilarious it would be to listen to Trump and Rudy on a call together? To be truly magnificent it would need a straight man like Hannity in there trying to keep them on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oracle posted:

Sure doesn't. But it also means he can talk to them and ask legal advice on decisions he's about to make.

Arguably he wasn’t acting as president during that meeting, he wasn’t engaged in presidential duties. He was acting as candidate Trump seeking re-election.

“Can I send a letter I know is false, or have it be sent by someone I bribed with high office, so as to defraud the United States” is not a legitimate one of his duties. I believe Trump committed bribery when he offered Clark the job as AG in exchange for an illegal action. An action both Clark and Trump had been told by legal experts was fraudulent in pursuit of a political office he knew he was not entitled to. Well, bribery along with sedition.

Also, Clark committed bribery again when he offered Rosen his own job in exchange for committing fraud against the United States.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 26, 2022