Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As a longtime political junkie, this is pure loving heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. This is all very cathartic and validating, but it will do absolutely nothing to overcome the sheer overwhelming might of inertia in American society at all levels. The glidepath to doom will continue.

I will take some catharsis and validation thank you. I need this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

They had arms stashed nearby in case Orange Man said the insurrection act magic words.

They had a plan.

Quick Reaction Force

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

His accent sounded like a heavy boston accent to me at first.

I like this guy. He's not very practiced at testifying so it comes off well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Madkal posted:

This is a borderline "never heard of her and she never did anything anyway and probably brought me coffee once and is just a jealous loser anyway" response from Donny. The kind of response he usually gives when one of his underlings does something and he feels he has to pretend that they never existed.

I dunno, I read that as him saying she wasn't involved (so leave her alone)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I am coming into this thread to say I was absolutely wrong. I 100% believed that most normal people would completely ignore this.

That being said, I'm sticking with my :toxx: that Trump will not be criminally indicted and arrested over this, and will run for president again.

I appreciate your willingness to toxx for this, and if I had to bet against you, I don't know that I could.

We are in uncharted waters lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

The Fulton county DA says they expect a charging decision on Trump and company by June 30.

Thinking about this from a cinematic viewpoint, I wonder if the last session of the public hearings will include a vote to refer charges to DOJ? Yes, it would just be symbolic and theater but it would be that public impetus that gives DOJ a clear mandate to launch more aggressive public investigations.

Like formally empowering a special investigator.

If somebody doesn't do something soon I'm gonna fly straight up into the air

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think Georgia is slightly more likely than DOJ to indict, but I also think both chances are slightly higher than 50/50

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

I think the key here is this: Trump claims he still knew better and went with the fraud claims anyway...

But if he believed truly he was justified to his core why not spend any of the 250 million on court cases?

Because he knew he lost and he didn't care, and he was already planning to steal the election anyway. The money was a bonus

*Bangs on table, chanting "mail fraud" louder and louder*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

I mean he definitely didn't write that but also lol 12 pages of being very Not Mad

I can believe he dictated it and it took all day to edit into...that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Mike Lindell says he offered to publicly testify before the January 6 committee but they didn't want to talk to him
https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-lindell-request-testify-january-6-panel-ignored-2022-6

Lol nobody wants to talk to the pillow guy. I'm sure it'd be a huge liability for anyone involved.

Imagine trying to use him as any kind of witness for anything. It'd be like asking Trump to testify about something he heard.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

1pm eastern time

https://january6th.house.gov/news/watch-live

Also, Pence's former legal advisor is testifying? Will this be under oath?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/former-pence-counsel-testify-thursday-before-jan-6-capitol-riot-panel-2022-06-15/

Did Pence himself ever give an interview to the committee? Doesn't seem like it but I wonder why not

We don't know whether Pence has been deposed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. Seems like it'd be a hard thing to keep secret.

I hope he has though. I doubt he cares much about protecting Donald and probably doesn't have to worry about self incrimination since he seemed to play by the rules. The base already hates him so it's not like he has to care about alienating them. If they have recorded testimony from Pence, there will be a ton of media hype and a lot of discussion about it so fingers crossed.

Having him walk in to testify during the hearings would be some Nathan Jessup poo poo.

He has every reason in the world to keep any deposition absolutely quiet.

However if I had to bet, I would bet that he has not.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Imagine being such a shithead your own brother when your life is threatened is like "eh no big loss there"

A shithead who fell rear end-backwards and face-first into the single weirdest thing that has ever happened in American politics.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I have never felt more secondhand embarrassment than for Luttig right now. Is he emotional? Weighing his words so tightly?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s probably physically hard for this dude to say the things he’s saying, like Robocop trying to overcome Directive 4 and in order to shoot an OCP employee.

I think this is what's happening. You guys understand this guy is a conservative patriarch, Ted Cruz clerked for him

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

He seems genuinely upset

Dude is a Constitutional Lawyer and scholar, so it probably hits harder than most people

That's my read too. Also he may not be great at parties.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Right, HE DOES, but I just meant it would probably have leaked by now. I don't see what sort of blowback or fear he'd have from testifying though, for the reasons I outlined. MAGA's already hate him. Doesn't seem like he did anything wrong or illegal (which is why they hate him). Trump cant hurt him I don't think. Unless he got up to some poo poo unrelated and Donald can out him somehow.

What would he really have to worry about directly related to 1/6?

Much more likely they have everything they need from Jacob and Short

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oooh a metaphor and he is settling in for the final point

Rooting for Luttig now against all likelihood

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LegionAreI posted:

If anyone had a basis for trying something it was Al Gore. What a loving boondoggle this entire thing was. I'm still trying to picture what would have happened if Pence did send the votes back and it's just not even something I can put in my head.

As Gregg Jacob said, it might have been decided in the streets.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do we have an actual lawyer in the thread who can say if this meets the criteria for mens rea?

Cause to my dumb rear end layman's ears, this certainly sounds like it's mens rea up to the rafters. I don't know how much better you could show knowing it's a crime and then criming.

I'm not an actual lawyer but yes. Any reasonable person would have concluded "this is illegal".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There is no way this ends without Tump indicted.

It would be the most ridiculous embarrassment for everyone in both branches. gently caress gently caress function

Edit: I'm leaving it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

Surely this time he'll face the consequences of his actions!

I didn't say that lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

They won’t put her on live tv without having spent a day vetting her behind closed doors first.

Can you imagine the RWM poo poo show of her screeching about Hugo Chaves Italian ballots or whatever and the committee trying to patiently say that those allegations have long since been disproven? They would be all over how they wouldn’t let her talk and show her ‘evidence’ which would just be all made up nonsense that they can repeat without support because, “they don’t want you to hear it”.

It’s exactly why Bannon or Giuliani or even Trump won’t see a live TV session for these hearings no matter how much they demand it.

Which is why this is not a trial; it's a public grand jury.

They're going to indict him and then god help us all.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oracle posted:

The dude just writes like a Victorian House of Lords member. Its an affectation.

Also, I thought I used too many commas jesus h. christ lol

I know. I write like this guy. I also am deeply, fully aware that you cannot speak that way, much less extemporaneously.

Good god. 😂 I'll remember that for sure

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

So the next one is tomorrow, right?

Yep, 10am PST, 1pm Eastern.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Wait, isn't this the Proud Boy/ Oathkeeper documentarian? Why would he have footage of Trump talking unless Trump was directly in contact with Proud Boys or Oathkeepers?

Because Trump was in contact with OK, through Roger Stone.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How are u posted:

Since the rumor-mill is buzzing about how Trump fully plans to peg everything on Eastman and make him take the fall, I do hope that Eastman has considered flipping himself.

Trump continues to think this is a trial. It's a grand jury.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Committee will certainly wrap up in September, as they have always said they would. That is when they will release the full report and also their legislative recommendations. I do not expect that to change, for the very reason you mention. They have always known it had to be finished before October 2022.

The idea this will go away due to the midterms doesn't compute.

This is a Grand Jury without the power to compel all testimony, but it is public. It is public specifically because the DOJ allowed the committee to depose all of these witnesses first so it would be seen by everyone who wants to see, and by this point I am more confident than ever it will also be seen by many who have said or thought they would ignore it.

Some are, sure. Won't change gently caress-all. This conspiracy was too loving stupid. TWO documentary film crews, one in the Whitehouse, and one with the Proud Boys? lol get hosed GOP

I agree with you, I've said as much, and the only reason I don't toxx on it is because I love you all so much that I wouldn't risk my account even on that regard.

So maybe a ladies/gentlemens' wager? Toward the Red Cross or something equally important.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trump also knew. DepCoS told him at 10am.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Meadows is extremely hosed, so is Giuliani. Holy poo poo I hope they know where they physically are right now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

They're going to get them all for seditious conspiracy. All of them.

You could knock me over with a feather right now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I've never wanted to be wrong more than right now. But I'll believe it when I see it.

My brother in Christ I think they're gonna actually loving do it

I would die happy, honestly. Whole drat century redeemed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Good actual god, such a wide amount of getting hosed is happening. She's running them over back and forth with the bus

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Never before have so many people been so thoroughly hosed by a single hour of a testimony.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus loving Christ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

Trump knew his followers were armed.
He knew they were getting stopped at the Mags.
He wanted them to be let in for photographs
He then wanted to lead an armed crowd to the loving Capital building.
He got hugely pissed off because he wasn't allowed to lead this trip.
Did I get this wrong?

Add that he loving TRIED TO VIOLENTLY COMMANDEER THE PRESIDENTIAL MOTORCADE FROM HIS OWN BODY MAN

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I see why they had this surprise session today. It's still extremely dry but it's borderline salacious gossip, and great for TV. We already know all the players and it's obvious he knew it was illegal, yadda yadda, but today is laughable incendiary fluff so far and it's a blast.

It's not fluff, it's direct testimony. Why are you all not understanding that this is different from us all knowing that it happened?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Who knows what the gently caress is even gonna be in the concluding remarks at this point.

loving hell.

I'm spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Meanwhile, Georgia is either going to indict him or not indict him by this Thursday the 30th.